• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edge Egg Roll *Video Added*

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too sure if this has been brought up, I tried searching the forum for it but nothing came up, I haven't had a lot of time to post lately, but it's summer now so there's lots of time. If it's already well known, my apologies. Anyways, a little over a month ago I saw a post on the Zelda forums where if you did a ledge jump you can cancel the jump as soon as you leave the ledge with any of her b moves.

So naturally I tried it out with Yoshi, and was actually able to do an egg roll from the ledge (very similar to the one from melee). The timing is a little tight, but all you do is tap the jump button when you're hanging on the ledge. As soon as you leave the ledge, you do an egg roll away from the stage, then you slam control stick back towards the stage so that you have the egg roll going at full speed.

*EDIT*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyregigq72Q

Depster

Smash Champion
A variation of my lag cancelled roll. I found that tech, but I didn't know it could be done off the ledge. looks good, I'll have to try it

Bwett

Smash Ace
You don't need to do the egg roll away from the stage. As long as you time it properly, just jump and then forward b on the stage. It looks like it just assumes you are on ground so there is no bounce to the egg roll. Good find though

Wubblez

Smash Apprentice
The devil egg only brings me suicides half the time....

:D

I'll try this a little. Could be useful sometimes.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Huh, I never would've thought of that. Of course, it's also highly unlikely that the opponent will expect something like this. This looks like a great surprise ledge tactic, probably best used when they think they can read what you're going to do. It actually looks pretty fast, so it would likely hit if they aren't prepared for it, particularly if they're in the air. However, if they anticipate some kind of attack and respond by shielding, this won't do much good, and we might get shield grabbed. Overall, good for a mix-up, but if relied on too heavily, most characters can predict and punish. Still, it's good to know the egg roll has a practical use. ^.^

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is a hard tech to shieldgrab.

If you're getting shieldgrabbed from this, one of three things is happening:

1] You're doing it when the opponent is too close to the edge. This is generally unsafe idea anyway.

2] You're fighting King Dedede. Tough sh*t, since you shouldn't be doing this against him, anyway.

3] You got powershielded. Can't help that.

The best way to use Egg Roll off the edge is to use it when your opponent is spacing themselves so that they're prepared to intercept all of your getup options. Egg Roll from the edge, Egge Roll (I like that), is almost perfectly designed to help out your mixup game in this sort of scenario. Most characters have some sort of optimal distance from the edge where they can stand and react to your getup options instead of playing the guessing game. Egge Roll takes advantage of this with both its high priority bouncing at the start and its variable speed between the edge and your opponent. Not only can this mess up spacing and timing, but even if they attempt to connect out of surprise, you have a very favorable chance of tying with their attack.

The most surefire way to beat Egge Roll, of course, is to know when it's coming, as reacting to it can be a little difficult if the character trying to beat it doesn't have really really good moves that be pulled out quickly. This is, of course, why the move is best considered a mixup and shouldn't be abused. There are better ways to abuse Egg Roll; its use at the edge can almost be considered sacred because of how safe of a mixup it is.

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
This looks like a good technique, so I'll try to incorporate into my strategy.

It'll be useful against characters with low priority attacks.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
This looks really useful as a mix up. A lot of people try to space a smash or shield grab when you return, and this would totally mess up their timing if they didn't expect it. having more options can never hurt.

However, all this talk of egg rolls makes me hungry.

Top Bottom