• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not only that but the coronation is 1 specific week too so you need to know the ingame date ahead of time
Actually I think that was misinfo. IIRC it's actually any time during that month, it's just that most people explore on the first day.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
You need to have reached a C+ Support with her by Chapter 11, and then while exploring, need to talk to her to witness her coronation. You only get the option to side with her if you do that.
Which, I might add, is all in all just extremely stupid, and (in my eyes) emblematic of how badly the game treats her in general.
I actually really liked that choice, since it's a good conbination of story and gameplay. It truly shows you how much Edelgard has trust issues, to the point that you have to be truly connected to her in order to stay with her.
Just like how most of Sylvain's Supports end at B rather than A because he too struggles a lot with establishing deep relationships.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Not only that but the coronation is 1 specific week too so you need to know the ingame date ahead of time
Really? In my experience, the day in which you explored and then saw the coronation does not matter. Hell, I think in both my original Black Eagles run and my current Church Route run, I waited until the last possible opportunity to witness the coronation, because I didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to instruct.

I actually really liked that choice, since it's a good conbination of story and gameplay. It truly shows you how much Edelgard has trust issues, to the point that you have to be truly connected to her in order to stay with her.
Just like how most of Sylvain's Supports end at B rather than A because he too struggles a lot with establishing deep relationships.
No, no, I was referring to how the "true" Black Eagles route is locked behind that and so easily missable. Coupled with it being so much shorter than every other route, it just really doesn't come off as if Intelligent Systems really cared all that much for it.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Crimson Rose is indeed hastily done. There's a couple things that really, really bug me about the route.

It all started with how you fight Edelgard in the exact same chapter as you side with her. She doesn't even explain her motives fully!! NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST do you ever get the idea why she needed those Crest Stones, why she had to play as the Flame Emperor, why she tried to assassinate Dimitri and Claude in the very first chapter... And that's only the beginning! After wards the Death Knight just doesn't show up anymore only when taking Garreg Mach, 'oh don't worry about him we allies now!' Uhm, sure? Why is Rhea suddenly so damn insane, where is the cutscene that plays before the time skip? Why does Dimitri imply he has a son before you fight him? What even are his motives fighting you?? You just randomly fight him without them ever explaining their point of view. Feels bad man, murdering Dimitri, who's supposedly a father all of a sudden, without a good reason. He even lacks his bloodlust from the Blue Lions route. Edelgard tells nothing about their past relationship despite there being hints she was once in love with him. You don't ever get to fight those who slither in the dark either, why are we suddenly so cool with Nemesis and his motives? Also why is the whole carrying the progenitor god with you suddenly not as big as a part of the plot now?? What is Sothis even thinking about 'us' murdering the last of her kind?

This route screams wtf to me at every possible turn. I find Blue Lions and especially Golden Deer way better in story and overall reasoning.

In the end, it's just overal taking the villain's route and therefore this route wasn't much of a priority. It's just not very well written at all, sorry. If anything, Claude might seem as the character outside of Byleth who's more of a main Lord than Edelgard.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Crimson Rose is indeed hastily done. There's a couple things that really, really bug me about the route.

It all started with how you fight Edelgard in the exact same chapter as you side with her. She doesn't even explain her motives fully!! NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST do you ever get the idea why she needed those Crest Stones, why she had to play as the Flame Emperor, why she tried to assassinate Dimitri and Claude in the very first chapter... And that's only the beginning! After wards the Death Knight just doesn't show up anymore only when taking Garreg Mach, 'oh don't worry about him we allies now!' Uhm, sure? Why is Rhea suddenly so damn insane, where is the cutscene that plays before the time skip? Why does Dimitri imply he has a son before you fight him? What even are his motives fighting you?? You just randomly fight him without them ever explaining their point of view. Feels bad man, murdering Dimitri, who's supposedly a father all of a sudden, without a good reason. He even lacks his bloodlust from the Blue Lions route. Edelgard tells nothing about their past relationship despite there being hints she was once in love with him. You don't ever get to fight those who slither in the dark either, why are we suddenly so cool with Nemesis and his motives? Also why is the whole carrying the progenitor god with you suddenly not as big as a part of the plot now?? What is Sothis even thinking about 'us' murdering the last of her kind?

This route screams wtf to me at every possible turn. I find Blue Lions and especially Golden Deer way better in story and overall reasoning.

In the end, it's just overal taking the villain's route and therefore this route wasn't much of a priority. It's just not very well written at all, sorry. If anything, Claude might seem as the character outside of Byleth who's more of a main Lord than Edelgard.
If by not well-written you mean not describing in excruciating detail why every little thing in the game happens, then sure.

I don't have time to answer every point you bring up now, but suffice it to say because of Byleth's support during the assault of Garreg Mach and of Edelgard, things end up playing out very differently than they do on other routes.

And really, every route has something for someone. If you sign up with the faction bent on overthrowing the organization running things for a millenium, you probably already decided you don't care why. Crimson Flower isn't about being a hero, or glamorous, it's about setting things right where they went wrong and taking charge of your own destiny.

D

Deleted member

I don't think the requirements for CF are that bad, if you don't have a C+ support with her by Ch11 then you're doing something wrong and exploring the monastery and talking to everyone should be routine at this point(at most you'd lose on activity poibts but eh).
And finally, I think it fits the game thenatically and strengthens its narrative. CF is all about choice and consequence, "choices have consequences" and this is the one route where you are really allowed to do that.
Making siding with Edelgard an active choice the player has to choose makes it so much more meaningful, it's not just going along for the ride due to what House you chose, it's making an effort to reach out to a person and them caring and trusting them enough to protect them.
And CF continues to play that theme of choice in the timeskip, as it's the only route where you can get different outcomes by what actions you take: sparing or killing Claude, sparing or killing Seteth and Flayn, and killing Dedue before or after he transforms into a demonic beast.
Sure, these may not affect the plot much outside of these specific scenes but it shows how there ARE choices you can make and that they do change things.

Really, the worst part about Fates was selling itself as a game focused around choice but the only choices you do are dependent on spending real life money and getting some boots or the second best character in the game in one of those routes.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
No, no, I was referring to how the "true" Black Eagles route is locked behind that and so easily missable. Coupled with it being so much shorter than every other route, it just really doesn't come off as if Intelligent Systems really cared all that much for it.
Yeah you gotta make the effort, but it's perfectly doable. Edelgard's coronation simply requires you get that C+ rank with her. It's really easy to build support between yourself and the students. Hell, I managed to unlock ability to view the A support of most of my students during Part 1 but couldn't since my bonds with them haven't "deepened" yet. Anyone who intended on S-ranking Edelgard should've gotten her route without any problems. You'd have to be incompetent to not know how to view supports, or ignore what your own students have to say outside of what the game tells you to do.

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
I would prefer byleth to get in, but anybody of the three lords would be also great. I support this thread for the emperor of Adrestia.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't think the requirements for CF are that bad, if you don't have a C+ support with her by Ch11 then you're doing something wrong and exploring the monastery and talking to everyone should be routine at this point(at most you'd lose on activity poibts but eh).
And finally, I think it fits the game thenatically and strengthens its narrative. CF is all about choice and consequence, "choices have consequences" and this is the one route where you are really allowed to do that.
Making siding with Edelgard an active choice the player has to choose makes it so much more meaningful, it's not just going along for the ride due to what House you chose, it's making an effort to reach out to a person and them caring and trusting them enough to protect them.
And CF continues to play that theme of choice in the timeskip, as it's the only route where you can get different outcomes by what actions you take: sparing or killing Claude, sparing or killing Seteth and Flayn, and killing Dedue before or after he transforms into a demonic beast.
Sure, these may not affect the plot much outside of these specific scenes but it shows how there ARE choices you can make and that they do change things.

Really, the worst part about Fates was selling itself as a game focused around choice but the only choices you do are dependent on spending real life money and getting some boots or the second best character in the game in one of those routes.
Can you actually spare Seteth and Flayn? Now I feel like an asshole for killing them off... How do you spare them? I spared Claude because I couldn't kill this guy off come on, but the way Three Houses deals with death is unique to say the least. I mean you can recruit mostly all the students so they are safe, but one of the main Lords you gotta kill off at least in every route. Makes me wish there was a Fates Revelation sort of route for Three Houses.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Can you actually spare Seteth and Flayn? Now I feel like an ******* for killing them off... How do you spare them? I spared Claude because I couldn't kill this guy off come on, but the way Three Houses deals with death is unique to say the least. I mean you can recruit mostly all the students so they are safe, but one of the main Lords you gotta kill off at least in every route. Makes me wish there was a Fates Revelation sort of route for Three Houses.
Have Byleth defeat one of them, then defest the other, they'll merely go in hiding after the battle concludes instead of being dead

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Edit: All right, I apologize if I went overblown again. Needed to vent out after seeing...particular comments on Youtube and Reddit.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Have Byleth defeat one of them, then defest the other, they'll merely go in hiding after the battle concludes instead of being dead
I actually think it's like Claude where Edelgard can defeat them too. I remember on Ghast's stream, Flayn suicided into Edelgard but the sparing dialogue still went into effect.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Replying to this again for reasoning.

- Crest raid: to keep Rhea from having them, and possibly use them to bolster her army (but Byleth's influence keeps her from doing that.)

- Flame Emperor: It's a disguise. Pretty self-explanatory.

- Lord assassination: to make her eventual war easier and less bloody by causing disarray in the other powers. The already fractured Leicester Alliance falls into line pretty much immediately once Claude is out of the picture (again Byleth helps here with Edelgard no longer tunnel visioning one way to deal with him).

- Death Knight: Fights as part of Adrestia's main army, away from the Strike Force. Manuela can mention him.

- Insane Rhea: After everything that happened during the year, Byleth not killing Edelgard and realizing he/she will never be the mother she's trying to bring back (Sothis) pushes her over the edge. Have you played Silver Snow? No cutscene I'll grant, probably time constraints with how different it'd have to be.

- Dimitri: All the bad stuff that makes him crazy(er) in other routes doesn't happen here: Rhea doesn't go missing so Dimitri isn't framed and hunted, doesn't lose an eye and his uncle doesn't get killed (which is probably what he means when saying his bloodline will live on). Still has a murderous grudge towards Edelgard though, for being the Flame Emperor working with the dark and probably being egged on by Rhea.

- Nemesis: She never "agrees" with him in the sense that no one really knows his motives, and she isn't OK with their goals, just that without them they'll lose the two or even three-on one with the other major powers. Hubert in his paralogue makes it clear taking them out after will be a relatively discreet manner handled mostly by House Vestra.

- Sothis: She has no real memories of her time as a god, and besides that asked only one thing of Byleth, to forge his own path. She's largely neutral on everything happening in Fodlan otherwise. And I already mentioned how siding with Edelgard is an implicit statement of not really caring about the church or it's religion.

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500

- Crest raid: to keep Rhea from having them, and possibly use them to bolster her army (but Byleth's influence keeps her from doing that.)

- Lord assassination: to make her eventual war easier and less bloody by causing disarray in the other powers. The already fractured Leicester Alliance falls into line pretty much immediately once Claude is out of the picture (again Byleth helps here with Edelgard no longer tunnel visioning one way to deal with him).

- Death Knight: Fights as part of Adrestia's main army, away from the Strike Force. Manuela can mention him.

- Insane Rhea: After everything that happened during the year, Byleth not killing Edelgard and realizing he/she will never be the mother she's trying to bring back (Sothis) pushes her over the edge. Have you played Silver Snow? No cutscene I'll grant, probably time constraints with how different it'd have to be.

- Dimitri: All the bad stuff that makes him crazy(er) in other routes doesn't happen here: Rhea doesn't go missing so Dimitri isn't framed and hunted, doesn't lose an eye and his uncle doesn't get killed (which is probably what he means when saying his bloodline will live on). Still has a murderous grudge towards Edelgard though, for being the Flame Emperor working with the dark and probably being egged on by Rhea.

- Nemesis: She never "agrees" with him in the sense that no one really knows his motives, and she isn't OK with their goals, just that without them they'll lose the two or even three-on one with the other major powers. Hubert in his paralogue makes it clear taking them out after will be a relatively discreet manner handled mostly by House Vestra.

- Sothis: She has no real memories of her time as a god, and besides that asked only one thing of Byleth, to forge his own path. She's largely neutral on everything happening in Fodlan otherwise. And I already mentioned how siding with Edelgard is an implicit statement of not really caring about the church or it's religion.
I would like to add a little detail about the Sothis/Religion topic
There is one NPC in the Cathedral in CF that says something along the lines of "Even tho the Church lied to us doesn't mean the Goddess doesn't exists".
This line shows that Edelgard's objective isn't eradicate the religion of Sothis itself, just the organization that uses that belief in order to keep political power.
Which is also an argument found in many Medieval Christian writers and philosopher, for example Dante Alighieri strongly believed that the Catholic Church should NOT have any political power or territory, despite being a convinced believer himself.

So in a sense Edelgard's fight can also be seen as a war against the "heretics" of the Church who used Sothis' name to gain power, which might explain why Sothis herself has no objections about taking down the Church, besides obviously not really being around in Part 2 in any route.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Getting really discouraged from seeing that Japan prefers silent protagonists/self-insert characters over actual characters, if Byleth being #5 wanted in Japan is any indication...

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Getting really discouraged from seeing that Japan prefers silent protagonists/self-insert characters over actual characters, if Byleth being #5 wanted in Japan is any indication...
That poll has little to no meaning. It only had 400 votes in total and under some Japanese votes there were English comments, so it's far from reliable.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
That poll has little to no meaning. It only had 400 votes in total and under some Japanese votes there were English comments, so it's far from reliable.
Where did the poll even come from? Regardless it is still becoming a common trend for avatar characters to be prominent due to their wish fulfillment nature.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I would like to add a little detail about the Sothis/Religion topic
There is one NPC in the Cathedral in CF that says something along the lines of "Even tho the Church lied to us doesn't mean the Goddess doesn't exists".
This line shows that Edelgard's objective isn't eradicate the religion of Sothis itself, just the organization that uses that belief in order to keep political power.
Which is also an argument found in many Medieval Christian writers and philosopher, for example Dante Alighieri strongly believed that the Catholic Church should NOT have any political power or territory, despite being a convinced believer himself.

So in a sense Edelgard's fight can also be seen as a war against the "heretics" of the Church who used Sothis' name to gain power, which might explain why Sothis herself has no objections about taking down the Church, besides obviously not really being around in Part 2 in any route.
I don't think Edelgard disbelieves in Sothis's existence either, she just doesn't buy into her being omnipotent like everyone else claims. Her support with Manuela is pretty interesting in her trying to reconcile if faith can really be a source of strength or just a crutch.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Where did the poll even come from? Regardless it is still becoming a common trend for avatar characters to be prominent due to their wish fulfillment nature.
It was just a glance through comments on a Twitter post by Nintendo. Assuming it was collected by a bot, it may have even counted posts saying someone doesn't want a character as a vote for that character. And, as was mentioned earlier, it was about 400 people. And who knows how many of those votes were the same person making multiple comments. So the sample size is probably even smaller. I wish people would stop spreading this "data" around, because it means literally nothing at all.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
It was just a glance through comments on a Twitter post by Nintendo. Assuming it was collected by a bot, it may have even counted posts saying someone doesn't want a character as a vote for that character. And, as was mentioned earlier, it was about 400 people. And who knows how many of those votes were the same person making multiple comments. So the sample size is probably even smaller. I wish people would stop spreading this "data" around, because it means literally nothing at all.
Did Nintendo ask people on Twitter who they wanted to see in Smash? As in an official poll or something?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sadly, people believe things...very easily in this fandom.

Meanwhile, these things barely get the time of day.

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/05/15/sg-susbu-fighter-pass-poll/
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/ > https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bx0_ETF2mcYwYmk0YWFRbE1vMjg
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

Not that anything affects anything except the ballot, really.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

I think you are missing the point... is not like Edelgard motives are bad, the game during various instances and with plenty of character made pretty clear how the crest system and nobility makes a lot of peoples life miserable, and the game gives us several instances to be slightly creeped out by rhea and while doesn't paints the church as an overused "the church is evil" trope, it doesn't paints them as immaculate saints either. But the CF path is sadly full of weird absences, tell dont show instances, and overall, very well limited voids of info that clearly looks like stuff that they wanted to expand but simply had to cut for reasons. (plus it outright have 3 chapters less than the other paths)

I already finished the crimson flower path and now i'm doing a golden deer path.

The character of Edelgard in crimson flower is 90% of the time portrayed as a strong and idealistic woman who understand the consequences of her acts and the weight of her actions, but with a vulnerable (and sometimes slightly forced cute) side she tries to hide. but that doesn't means thats a little jarring that 10% of the times when that character is broken....

I guess that i will go more in detail, so i will be start using spoilers for Crimsom flower path.
I Really like when edelgard is more of an antagonist, rather than a two faced villian. so i would assume that when she says to us that he really regrets some of the collateral damage, and would gladly take a more merciful route if posible she is being truthfull. that kinda keeps silghtly in character with the flame emperor persona, except at teh beginning where she relies the orders to Kostas (was his name?) to kill noble childs... even when in every other occasion that struggle have been inevitable, she have tried to dissuade their enemies into surrender instead of just killing them. What is more, the Kostas go and decide to target Edelgard in his last resort attack... I don't think that edelgard is portrayed dumb enough to keep herself in a vulnerable position specially when she should know exactly what were Kostas orders... (I also find weird that edelgard was the one needed saving cause she like dimitri are excellent melee units even early game, unlike claude, and claude would have subverted the trope of defenseless girl in danger, but whateves).
On the other hand take the same scenario and say that Hubert gave the order isntead of Edelgard, knowing very well that teh deaths of claude and dimitry would make edelgard path way more easier, finding it a logical alternative. and also is part of hubert character is a creepy I shall keep secret for edelgard, and even that "I truly believe in her I'm so loyal that i even will disobey orders from her if i think I know better" is a VERY Hubert trait. imagine that this ends endangering Edelgard, and Hubert have this regret that leads to a interesting character arc that could been explored trough Edelgard supports.

Or take for example, if the flame emperor gave the orders to kostas, but those who slyther in the shadows (TWSitS From now on) managed to intercept the orders and change them so if instead he targeted edelgard as a way to make her feel vulnerable and give her a message in that veiled warfare they have. While this may have been the case, there is NOTHING that imply it. so it honestly feel like bad theorycrafting. on the other hand if that was the case something that initially felt out of character for edelgard now is actually another subtle layer in the story and in the war against TWSitS, and you turn questionable writing into very VERY good writing. you manage to establish the flame emperor as a villian for the new player as it was intended in order to give more weight to the plot twist that the flame emperor was Edelgard, while keep you efforts to make her a very relatable character,and at the same time it would been possible to add depth to the conflicts of the game.

Another thing that clearly wasn't planned is that in this route you don't get any new unit with a story. it's obvious that it wasnt the case, its clear that the Death knight had a story, and wouldnt been awkward at all to get him as a an unit with supports that develop the character and his story. or even the 2 random empire generals that easily could have stories in order to give faces to the random empire goons, instead of random empire goons just being storm troopers, or even the younger sister of... randolph was his name? who is there to just feel sorry for his brother... is clear that they wanted to give her an interesting story, and that she could been a unit... but nope. at least randolph manages to die in camera, and we know that he had relations with other people like dorothea. the other general that i can't even remember her name is just worse. with literally a "btw that other chick also died" character development.

Again with death knight, I wasn't sure if he was gonna be a well developed character, but at least i would liked to know SOMETHING about him, yeah he is jeritza... but who teh hell is jeritza? is he really mercedes brother? what made him end as the death knight? what are his thoughts about having relative? Is his loyality with Edelgard? TWSitS? himself? does he feels regrets or fear? as Felix seems to point out when you are investigating Flyn abduction? and if he became a usable unit with supports there were plenty of interesting support options with mercedes, or even manuela. but instead... i know literally NOTHING of him in the route that he is even my ally, and even Edelgard promises to tell us more about him.

Kronya is another character that could easily been an alternative unit for this path, instead than a literally one note disposable character, once byleth manages to get out of the darkness, it wouldn't been unthinkable for say, Hubert to find her body, attempt to capture her and heal her in order to interrogate her or even manipulate her, is a totally in character thing that Hubert would do and he doesn't have problems with a little possible collateral damages as long as it gives him an upper hand against Edelgard more bitter enemies, also it was stated that even just an autopsy would have been a problem for TWSitS so, it's not an opportunity that Hubert would have wasted. Also It was clear enough that she wasn't loyal enough to sacrifice herslef for TWSitS while she was asking for help, and i'm pretty sure that she would have a VERY big beef against them after Solon basically sacrificed her, which it would mean that it would been very organic she switching sides for edelgard, plus as monica she certainly interacted with her a lot.
This doesn't means she would stop being evil, which certainly would have forced byleth's character to develop more considering she murdered his/her father for no apparent reason. Should he/she choose to let the rencor go away and use her against TWSitS as the lesser of two evils? or he/she instead would choose to cruelly weaponize her in order to kill 2 birds with one stone, even if that could potentially carry collateral damage?

Speaking of the war aginst TWSitS... yeah, you can't possible don't say that everything in the story was set up for it to be something more that just a couple of lines in an epilogue. and let's not start with why the hell dimitry has a baby that seems to be important to rhea's plans? and the fact that the route have 3/4 chapter less than the other 3 routes. say for example:

Chapter 19: Rhea's battle aftermath, we interact with what remains with the church of Seiros and the knights, we discover the truth behind Rhea's plans, Dimitry's child and Byleth's and Jeralt's origins. Edelgard develops regarding her history with dimitry and have to choose what she will do regarding Dimitry's child. then TWSitS appears and attempt to undermine Edelgard.

Chapter 20:
We learn a lot about TWSitS, and and plan how to defend against their less than subtle attempts at dispossing Edelgard, as his uncle tries to heavily undermine Edelgard's reign. whe learn about solon, the death knight, teh other guy... was he Nemesis? as someone who hasn't finished teh other routes yet i have no idea... I only knows he looks like him... If sothis still have some inference in the story here is where she do something. and when everything looks grim we find a trump card info against TWSitS (Again kronya?)

Chapter 21:
Against either nemesis looking guy or Edelgards uncle if they want to keep the other guy for the future, and we either destroy TWSitS or weaken them enough so they need to remain inactive and Edelgard can really rule unified Fodlan for say, at least a decade.

Epilogue.

You can't look at the route and say that they weren't planning to do something like this from the start, just to have to readapt when they run out of time/resources... The biggest plotholes don't look like unintentional stuff, but rather stuff that they wanted to address in the story but never did. maybe this chapters could be the DLC, but i rather have them fix all this mess and then use the DLC to expand something else. Almyra? Duscur? Dagda? The past? Silly magical land where past FE heroes became school students? wouldn't mind.

The worst part is that her path have TONS of potential and i really think that the game BENEFITS immensely for edelgard being another perspective, instead of just antagonist/villain. it really helps to build a lot the depth of the world and the humanity in it's conflicts.

End rant...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still think that the game shows us the points of view of three different people, and that some parts of the "truth" actually differ, based on their claims and what they see.

web4.jpg

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I think it's the "most likely syndrome".
People support Byleth mostly because they see them as the only option, just like how many felt for Chrom back in Smash For even tho he wasn't their favourite character. They liked Awakening and Chrom enough for supporting him even if they would have preferred Lucina, Robin or Tharja and so on.
The point is what the community sees as the most likely doesn't always translate into who gets in. Besides the already mentioned Chrom, imagine if someone said last year that a freaking Piranha Plant would have been added before Geno, Toad or Waluigi...

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I think it's the "most likely syndrome".
People support Byleth mostly because they see them as the only option, just like how many felt for Chrom back in Smash For even tho he wasn't their favourite character. They liked Awakening and Chrom enough for supporting him even if they would have preferred Lucina, Robin or Tharja and so on.
The point is what the community sees as the most likely doesn't always translate into who gets in. Besides the already mentioned Chrom, imagine if someone said last year that a freaking Piranha Plant would have been added before Geno, Toad or Waluigi...
The problem with this hypnosis is that Byleth is the Avatar character, just like Robin and Corrin are. Chrom wasn't. In fact, I would go so far to say, Chrom and Edelgard share a lot. Edelgard was the Three Houses pick prior to its release, just like Chrom was before Awakening came out. Both Chrom and Edelgard seemed very prominent.

The main difference between Robin and Byleth however, is that Robin wasn't perceived as the main protagonist. Though he, Chrom, and Lucina all are protagonists of the story, so they all make sense. Just at the time, since Chrom was the lord character, people assumed he would get in first.

The main problem here is, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are only protagonists on their routes. Byleth is the player character and a protagonist on every route. For those who never played the Edelgard route, say only played the Claude or Dimitri routes, or even the Church route, wouldn't understand why they'd go with Edelgard.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Random idea: Byleth who works along side a house leader but unlike Pokemon Trainer it's a choice you make at the character select and then you're stuck with it for the match.

Mortal Kombat X Variations for example

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
The problem with this hypnosis is that Byleth is the Avatar character, just like Robin and Corrin are. Chrom wasn't. In fact, I would go so far to say, Chrom and Edelgard share a lot. Edelgard was the Three Houses pick prior to its release, just like Chrom was before Awakening came out. Both Chrom and Edelgard seemed very prominent.

The main difference between Robin and Byleth however, is that Robin wasn't perceived as the main protagonist. Though he, Chrom, and Lucina all are protagonists of the story, so they all make sense. Just at the time, since Chrom was the lord character, people assumed he would get in first.

The main problem here is, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude are only protagonists on their routes. Byleth is the player character and a protagonist on every route. For those who never played the Edelgard route, say only played the Claude or Dimitri routes, or even the Church route, wouldn't understand why they'd go with Edelgard.
The thing about "why going with Edelgard" can be answered with:
1) She is apparently the most popular of the three lords, according to in game data.
She was also the most marketed character for the game, having a figma of her already in the works before the game was even out, was the bigger focus of the 3H banner in Heroes and even the main theme, Reach for My Hand, is sang from her point of view and its Japanese title is Lady of Hresvelg.
2) She is the most relevant of the three to the plot, being either the protagonist or the antagonist, unlike the other two who became secondary characters on other route beside their own.
3) That argument could be also used for :ultincineroar: over Decidueye and Primarina or :ultgreninja: over Chesnaught and Delphox

Many try to find a "pattern" in Sakurai's choices. People were speculating Chrom because "Look at Marth, Roy, Ike...He is going to only add the main lord", anand they're doing the same thing again. "Look at Robin, Corrin...he is going for the playable avatar".
But in reality Sakurai's methods aren't set in stone. He has stated before that characters must have a clear personality of their own for being chosen, and Byleth lacks it. Plus he/the Smash team might feel that another blue haired middle weight sword fighter avatar, even if as unique as Byleth is, might be too much and instead go for a tanky small axe user instead, especially for how prominent Edelgard is.

I'm not saying that Byleth has no chance, but that Edelgard has a way bigger chance than what people think.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The funniest part about the update is that they made Ignatz a few centimeters taller post-timeskip.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The funniest part about the update is that they made Ignatz a few centimeters taller post-timeskip.
. . .Seriously? By how many?
And jeez, that reminds me of how low-key silly it is that Edelgard is one of, if not the only student to not grow over the timskip.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
1) She is apparently the most popular of the three lords, according to in game data.
She was also the most marketed character for the game, having a figma of her already in the works before the game was even out, was the bigger focus of the 3H banner in Heroes and even the main theme, Reach for My Hand, is sang from her point of view and its Japanese title is Lady of Hresvelg.
2) She is the most relevant of the three to the plot, being either the protagonist or the antagonist, unlike the other two who became secondary characters on other route beside their own.
3) That argument could be also used for :ultincineroar: over Decidueye and Primarina or :ultgreninja: over Chesnaught and Delphox

Many try to find a "pattern" in Sakurai's choices. People were speculating Chrom because "Look at Marth, Roy, Ike...He is going to only add the main lord", anand they're doing the same thing again. "Look at Robin, Corrin...he is going for the playable avatar".
But in reality Sakurai's methods aren't set in stone. He has stated before that characters must have a clear personality of their own for being chosen, and Byleth lacks it. Plus he/the Smash team might feel that another blue haired middle weight sword fighter avatar, even if as unique as Byleth is, might be too much and instead go for a tanky small axe user instead, especially for how prominent Edelgard is.

I'm not saying that Byleth has no chance, but that Edelgard has a way bigger chance than what people think.

this and teh fact that for some reason, marketing had a heavy Edelgard Bias, makes em more salty that her path is the least developed...

still... give me a playable time skip Edelgard and i will be happy.

(ib4 she ends as an ike echo, Claude ends as a link echo and Dimitry ends as a Belmont echo :V)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And jeez, that reminds me of how low-key silly it is that Edelgard is one of, if not the only student to not grow over the timskip.
If I remember correctly, he's four centimeters taller.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Stupid crests...

Looking at the perspective of potential antagonist inclusion for Fire Emblem, most of them have the following problems: being wrinkled old fogies, unplayable huge dragons, not getting enough screentime for a good following, or just being stuck in japan-only titles. Black Knight was the closest to avoiding these pitfalls, but fell just short in moveset potential and was relegated to assist.

Edelgard has literally the best chance of any FE antagonist to be playable... because she's grey enough to get the development and screentime of a protagonist. As a bonus, she can be interpreted in many different ways in the context of Smash.

D

Deleted member

It doesn't really matter how the community perceives Edelgard's or Byleth's chances, the point of bringing up Chrom is that it shows the main character won't be necessarily chosen.
Edelgard might not be the MC but she's still always relevant no matter what route you pick and has a lot of potential for an unique moveset which are traits she shares with Robin.

Though tbh, at this point I'm convinced we'll be only getting 3rd parties so rip Edelgard

Troykv

Smash Master
Actually we have quite a lot of women that didn't growth; in fact they're more than the ones that growth; which are these:

Bernadetta (which it's the most noticeable, you can notice in the model without having to looking to deeply, growing 15 cms... which is quite a lot for someone that looked like it was doomed to be small; I guess that is the fact of a sudden change in life style?).
Annette (2 cms, the most modest of the height growths)
Lysithea (12 cm, the difference isn't noticeable in the model because they artificially increased Lysithea's height with highheels; making her for the most part look identical size wise, but I wonder if that will ever be corrected).

All three of them used to be the smallest of their respective group (in Annette's case she still is).

The other characters (Edelgard, Petra, Dorothea, Mercedes, Ingrid, Hilda, Leonie and Marianne) are still in their original size... which makes Hilda now the smallest student technically (154 cm).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Actually we have quite a lot of women that didn't growth; in fact they're more than the ones that growth; which are these:

Bernadetta (which it's the most noticeable, you can notice in the model without having to looking to deeply, growing 15 cms... which is quite a lot for someone that looked like it was doomed to be small; I guess that is the fact of a sudden change in life style?).
Annette (2 cms, the most modest of the height growths)
Lysithea (12 cm, the difference isn't noticeable in the model because they artificially increased Lysithea's height with highheels; making her for the most part look identical size wise, but I wonder if that will ever be corrected).

All three of them used to be the smallest of their respective group (in Annette's case she still is).

The other characters (Edelgard, Petra, Dorothea, Mercedes, Ingrid, Hilda, Leonie and Marianne) are still in their original size... which makes Hilda now the smallest student technically (154 cm).
Bernadetta is just plain much stronger than she looks, especially when pushed. She's just as likely to own people ostensibly bigger and tougher than her as she is to flee in terror. Being skilled at both would require her to be surprisingly fit. Not to mention surviving being trapped in a burlap sack for what was probably weeks.

PassePopinjay

Smash Cadet
omg can you imagine if one of Edie's victory quotes was "Now you know your limits!"?

It would generate so much salt.

Top Bottom