• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
uhm... damn that are convincing arguments and all, but sadly there is one reason she can't be in the roster...

she can't ride a gogoat She can't fight against pikachu, so considering pikachu would be one of the match ups... gg

/s

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
Well nowadays edelgard is probably the most controversial lord in all the series. She is still beloved, but also hated but a huge amount of people. In fact in recent polls dimitri is having more popularity as the "favourite character" in the game, so i am not sure if the popularity and reception will be in favour for edelgard.

Also i think byleth dimitri and claude could have more moveset potential than her, if we do not count the final battle of blue lions.

Byleth has whip sword, faith magic and divine pulse.

Claude is a bow lord that has a WYVERN, that could be present in his moveset in some form.

Dimitri really could benefit of his crest blaydidd. Is very unique amoung the others crests dealing more damage but also consuming more uses of his weapons. They could impliment some mechanic like Robin or Hero when if sometimes the crest would activate dealing insane amount of damage but also breaking more the lance of Dimitri and at some point it would broke, making him slower and do less damage and need some time to repair the lance like Robin lightning sword.

The onky think unique that edelgard has despite the axes is galeforce. But i do not know how it could be implemented in her moveset. Maybe the villian thing could make her unique?

However i would still love her inclussion despite dimitri being my favourite character and byleth having more potential in moveset.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
To keep in true to her character, she should drown instantly when in water ala Inkling, the Fire Pokemons and Sonic XD.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
What do you think of this Edelgard write up? I think it was excellent, especially the link to the author's own struggles.
Makes me even more salty that the route is still full of holes than aren't there because the writers didn't knew how to fill them, but because they didn't had the resources (probably time) to fill them...
and make me desire even more than we get the opportunity to stand against that uncle MOFO :v...

Still I happy about the game.. and i liked Edelgard character...still, Crimson Flower is a weird first route to take DX.

Probably my only issue with edelgard is that they give her a somewhat small and cute build and pshyque... considering she is an axe and heavy armor natural user.
this is an issue that i have against tons of anime girls BTW... nothing against cute and slightly small anime girls, but they should be a resource used when it actually helps and makes sense (bernardetta, lysithea, Flayn i guess?) rather than the standard.

Still we got plenty varied designs in the female department which makes me happy... still, not asking for Edelgard to be a muscular barbarian, but iwould loved if the axe wielding heavy armored emperess had a more taller, valkyrisque build rather than a more typical anime girl build, at least after the time skip. although a small niptick.. i really enjoyed the character.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
You're right. It's spelt "Lorenz Hellman Gloucester".
Well I can certainly understand how your fingers may have been burdened with menial task to commit the mistake of not refering true nobility by its given name, but is the duty of us nobles to correct such spelling errors.

Ohohohohohoho!!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well nowadays edelgard is probably the most controversial lord in all the series. She is still beloved, but also hated but a huge amount of people. In fact in recent polls dimitri is having more popularity as the "favourite character" in the game, so i am not sure if the popularity and reception will be in favour for edelgard.

Also i think byleth dimitri and claude could have more moveset potential than her, if we do not count the final battle of blue lions.

Byleth has whip sword, faith magic and divine pulse.

Claude is a bow lord that has a WYVERN, that could be present in his moveset in some form.

Dimitri really could benefit of his crest blaydidd. Is very unique amoung the others crests dealing more damage but also consuming more uses of his weapons. They could impliment some mechanic like Robin or Hero when if sometimes the crest would activate dealing insane amount of damage but also breaking more the lance of Dimitri and at some point it would broke, making him slower and do less damage and need some time to repair the lance like Robin lightning sword.

The onky think unique that edelgard has despite the axes is galeforce. But i do not know how it could be implemented in her moveset. Maybe the villian thing could make her unique?

However i would still love her inclussion despite dimitri being my favourite character and byleth having more potential in moveset.
I love how despite the flak Hero gets for his randomness, I still see tons of people suggesting stuff just like that in moveset speculation for their characters. What you suggest for Dimitri isn't interesting at all, just random punishment for the mundane action of attacking someone, and without the variety of tools at Robin's disposal.

Also...

This guy got even more flak over something as mundane as his size, and is the literal scum of the galaxy in his series. I fail to see how a hatedom has any impact on whether a character gets in or not, since if it does happen, the haters get to beat up the characters they don't like. It's a win-win.

Raging Storm is simple. It lets you move again if it hits. You can reflect this in Smash by giving a very short recovery time if it lands, but a long one if it misses. And since you're talking post-skip classes, Edelgard also wears heavy armour and a tower shield, making her an extremely tanky superheavy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Raging Storm could be a fun Side Special that makes Edelgard dash forward while attacking. If it hits, she has no ending lag and can pontentially combo out of it. If it misses, she has a ton of endlag and becomes incredibly easy to punish, even putting her into the helpless state if used in the air.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
What outfit do you guys want Edelgard to have? Her post-time skip design, her Emperor class outfit (with the shield) or the pre-time skip outfit? I think her Emperor outfit (with shield) would make her unique, although the combination of Raging Storm being a mobility based move and her class being a defensive fortress could prove awkward. Maybe she would be very slow but can be quick if she uses Raging Storm right? And when she uses it wrong she becomes laggier? I've never played as Edelgard's canon class in Three Houses so I'm lost as to what her abilities are.

ZelDan

Smash Master
What outfit do you guys want Edelgard to have? Her post-time skip design, her Emperor class outfit (with the shield) or the pre-time skip outfit? I think her Emperor outfit (with shield) would make her unique, although the combination of Raging Storm being a mobility based move and her class being a defensive fortress could prove awkward. Maybe she would be very slow but can be quick if she uses Raging Storm right? And when she uses it wrong she becomes laggier? I've never played as Edelgard's canon class in Three Houses so I'm lost as to what her abilities are.
They could always give both her pre-timeskip and post-timeskip suits as alts.

D

Deleted member

Edelgard says armor doesn't slow her down which is true by watching the final cutscene and the fact her canon class have no Spd growth penalties(though they do have a -3/-4 flat Spd penalty).
Her in the officer's uniform and the armor lord outfit can both work as the same character, especially if her moveset is more based on her as infantry which means they could just make the armor lord outfit be a simple dress rather than heavy armor

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ganondorf has two mobility specials and they work fairly well for him.

That said, given how Three Houses tends to reuse animations for different combat arts there's a lot of room for interpretation in how it could work. Maybe it's a special spike that works great for starting or extending combos but deteriorates rapidly if used repeatedly. As a rushing attack it could even be an up special that can be aimed.

The Emperor and Armoured Lord classes don't really have anything noteworthy skills in of themselves (mastering them seems to just give stat-boosting skills to things like luck) other than being armoured, though they do give her unique battle animations with an axe. She really likes to twirl one as a flourish, or even at the start of one of her critical animations where she jumps into the air (reminder that she's wearing heavy armour when doing this), spinning her axe above her head before slamming down. And one of her dodge animations has her do a backflip. Post timeskip, her personal skill gives her +4 Res if she hits Wait on her turn in addition to increased EXP.

The problem with pre-skip Edelgard is she does not have access to Aymr, the weapon that gives her Raging Storm, yet. It doesn't even exist at the time, being an "artificial" Relic made for her during the war.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I love how despite the flak Hero gets for his randomness, I still see tons of people suggesting stuff just like like that in moveset speculation for their characters. What you suggest for Dimitri isn't interesting at all, just random punishment for the mundane action of attacking someone, and without the variety of tools at Robin's disposal.

Also...

This guy got even more flak over something as mundane as his size, and is the literal scum of the galaxy in his series. I fail to see how a hatedom has any impact on whether a character gets in or not, since if it does happen, the haters get to beat up the characters they don't like. It's a win-win.

Raging Storm is simple. It lets you move again if it hits. You can reflect this in Smash by giving a very short recovery time if it lands, but a long one if it misses. And since you're talking post-skip classes, Edelgard also wears heavy armour and a tower shield, making her an extremely tanky superheavy.
Sadly its a double standard thing when it comes to male and female characters especially if theyre antagonistic/villains. Hence why I feel the Edelgard hate has some shades of misogyny in them.

Icelerate

Smash Apprentice
I think Edelgard's character development is underrated. It's often said she's a static character who undergoes no development but I think this is far from the truth.

At the start of the game, Edelgard is willing to murder Claude and Dimitri to make her goals easier. She doesn't show any signs of hesitation or remorse in conspiring to do so. On the other hand, in Crimson Flower, Edelgard is willing to spare Claude and is upset at killing Dimitri despite being far more justified in doing so than before. This shows that Byleth's influence on her after Byleth saves her from Rhea, despite his affiliation with the Church, was able to turn her into a more empathetic person who values human life. This is further shown in the final chapter where Edelgard rushes into the fires of Fhirdiad to rescue the trapped civilians when she could just let them and Rhea's army die before swooping in and finishing off Rhea. Contrast that with the other routes where Edelgard shows no value for civilian life and is willing to install a tyrant like Cornelia to fulfill her own ambitions. On the other hand, she never chooses to ally herself with Cornelia and actively ends her despite antagonizing her uncle in Crimson Flower.

Lastly, at the end of the game, Edelgard says that when humanity stands up for one another, they can overcome whatever challenges they face. Contrast that to part one where Edelgard is too reliant on herself to change the world instead of seek allies which backfires on her unless she's lucky enough to form a bond with Byleth.

All in all, I think Edelgard has one of the most unique character arcs in FE, especially for an FE lord, so it pisses me off when people say she doesn't develop at all.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sadly its a double standard thing when it comes to male and female characters especially if theyre antagonistic/villains. Hence why I feel the Edelgard hate has some shades of misogyny in them.
Considering people like to say Eirika is a mary sue when Ephraim, who is literally perfect and his few flaws never matter, is free from the criticisms, I wouldn't be surprised

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
On the subject of criticism regarding Crimson Flower: What's the thought about how

Edelgard's action as the Flame Emperor is just glossed over after siding with her. Like neither Byleth nor her classmates bring up/call out on the fact that she tried to kill them during the Holy Tomb incident, or the other actions she commited as the Flame Emperor.

Icelerate

Smash Apprentice
Considering people like to say Eirika is a mary sue when Ephraim, who is literally perfect and his few flaws never matter, is free from the criticisms, I wouldn't be surprised
Who even calls Eirika a mary sue? It is Ephraim who is often criticized for being one.
On the subject of criticism regarding Crimson Flower: What's the thought about how

Edelgard's action as the Flame Emperor is just glossed over after siding with her. Like neither Byleth nor her classmates bring up/call out on the fact that she tried to kill them during the Holy Tomb incident, or the other actions she commited as the Flame Emperor.
They probably forgave her off screen.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It doesn't really matter how the community perceives Edelgard's or Byleth's chances, the point of bringing up Chrom is that it shows the main character won't be necessarily chosen.
Edelgard might not be the MC but she's still always relevant no matter what route you pick and has a lot of potential for an unique moveset which are traits she shares with Robin.

Though tbh, at this point I'm convinced we'll be only getting 3rd parties so rip Edelgard
I definitely wouldn't count out first party characters. Sakurai never said it will all be third parties. That's just something fans assumed.

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I definitely wouldn't count out first party characters. Sakurai never said it will all be third parties. That's just something fans assumed.
Yeah, especially if the new fighters don't follow the Pass route. If they don't come with a Stage then they are clearly coming from series already represented as playable, since every single series must have a home stage (with the only exception being R.O.B. who is a real life item and they settled on random NES stages like Baloon Fight, Wreacking Crew and so on). This is a design philosophy they have used since Brawl, and wanted in Melee but due to that game's rushed development they had to cut the Fire Emblem stage.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Literally the first result here
View attachment 238211
I did the same Google search and found mostly stuff about how Ephraim is a Mary Sue and Eirika isn't as much. Every complaint I've heard has been about Ephraim. Sometimes people say that Eirika is too, but it's always coupled with "but not as much as Ephraim". I seriously don't know where you're getting this from. It's not Eirika that gets the hate for this.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I did the same Google search and found mostly stuff about how Ephraim is a Mary Sue and Eirika isn't as much. Every complaint I've heard has been about Ephraim. Sometimes people say that Eirika is too, but it's always coupled with "but not as much as Ephraim". I seriously don't know where you're getting this from. It's not Eirika that gets the hate for this.
In the circles I've been in it's always been Eirika getting singled out. And as the results show topics, it means people can and will argue it too

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
In the circles I've been in it's always been Eirika getting singled out. And as the results show topics, it means people can and will argue it too
The screenshot you posted says "Eirika is too to an extent". Presumably it said something like "Ephraim is a Mary Sue. Eirika is too to an extent". Nothing about it implies bias against Eirika. I don't know what circles you've been in, but from what I've seen Ephraim is the one who's constantly critisized, not Eirika.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The screenshot you posted says "Eirika is too to an extent". Presumably it said something like "Ephraim is a Mary Sue. Eirika is too to an extent". Nothing about it implies bias against Eirika. I don't know what circles you've been in, but from what I've seen Ephraim is the one who's constantly critisized, not Eirika.
I think an important aspect of it is that it's been a few years since I even saw people talk about Sacred Stones before the past few months which would explain it then

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I fail to see how a hatedom has any impact on whether a character gets in or not, since if it does happen, the haters get to beat up the characters they don't like. It's a win-win.
Well, of course. It reminds me of a comment someone did in regards to Steve; for detractors, he'd simply be another face to punch when he gets in.

And then there's this guy:

tenordog laugh.gif

Was the scorn of gamers everywhere just for laughing at their faces when they lose. People still played as him once he got in.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Weapons and abilities are treated in an arbitrary way in Smash. Sometimes you gets characters like Corrin wielding the Omega Yato in their starting class, Ness using spells he can't learn, Joker using Arsene in his school outfit, etc.
My point is that there's nothing that would prevent Sakurai from giving Edelgard Aymr in her Academy Phase self.
To me it just seems like the character philosophy for the additional DLC will be the same so I'm not getting my hopes up

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wouldn't the bill for third parties really jack up though? Must have cost a bundle alone just to afford the songs for Hero.

At that rate, we'd just get 3D render showoffs as reveal trailers. :ultmewtwo:

In any case, fans also assumed that the Fighter Pass would be the end of DLC despite Sakurai never saying so, so we'll see what happens. Granted, they were mostly right about it being full of third parties, but it's a more reasonable assumption in that kind of context.

For the sake of posterity, I'll post the full SG article of the column translation:

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2019/09/11/sakurai-talks-more-about-smash-ultimate-dlc-development/

Last edited:

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Weapons and abilities are treated in an arbitrary way in Smash. Sometimes you gets characters like Corrin wielding the Omega Yato in their starting class, Ness using spells he can't learn, Joker using Arsene in his school outfit, etc.
My point is that there's nothing that would prevent Sakurai from giving Edelgard Aymr in her Academy Phase self.
This. I remember that a close friend of mine who is a big Dragon Quest VIII fan was actually a little mad about the Hero from that game having the Draconic Sword and Shield but not the Armour, so it's clear that Smash sometimes takes some liberties with having the most iconic look alongside the strongest weapon, especially with JRPG reps.

Also you can have School Phase Edelgard wield Aymr in 3H, at least visually, since in NG+ you can switch between the School and the War Phase look at any time, so it is even less jarring that other liberties already in Smash.

Troykv

Smash Master

To be fair she actually didn't wanted to kill them; she hesitated in doing so despite being technically essencially a war declaration... the only person that seems to have canonically died in the battle anyway it's Edelgard's thief guy; the other units doesn't actually die even if she or the Flame Emperor Army fights them.

Also focusing in the present and future is more healthy.

To me it just seems like the character philosophy for the additional DLC will be the same so I'm not getting my hopes up
Oh, and Ike can use Ragnell as a Ranger despite being only possible to so in the other classes in his games (Lord, Hero and Vanguard).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ugh, figures. Next thing you know, we'll end up having flak for asking for more female characters, by accusing us of being social justice warriors...

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I mean, that happened about a week ago in the Newcomer thread
Wait what? I try not to look to much into those general threads anymore, but have we really reached this point within the fanbase? Maybe it's really time for me to just retire from it...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Wait what? I try not to look to much into those general threads anymore, but have we really reached this point within the fanbase? Maybe it's really time for me to just retire from it...
The general threads don't exist to me anymore. Besides, it's best to leave the board between game release cycles, usually when the final character is revealed.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
You can see each time of fan in a General Thread... So yeah, it's what about time something like this happened.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Ugh, figures. Next thing you know, we'll end up having flak for asking for more female characters, by accusing us of being social justice warriors...
I seriously hate this. I'm a girl and I like to play as strong women (like Samus and Edelgard not Peach or something). It doesn't stop me from enjoying characters like Ridley and Joker, who are my mains, but we only have like 4 or 5 characters I would consider strong women.

The funny thing is that I'm actually the kind of person who complains about SJWs when there's actual annoying stuff going on, like people throwing a fit over someone using the English voice over for a game with a Japanese option, yet I get called out for being one myself over stuff like this. People just throw that term around every time anyone lists representing women more as a positive as if that's some radical opinion.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Yeah unfortunately the anonymity of the internet let trolls of all kind do their thing. I would just ignore them and continue to root for interesting characters for smash - regardless if they are male, female or whatever.

After all they want you to be upset about them, so if you do they are winning ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom