• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Edelgard von Hresvelg - Black Eagles House Leader

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Disappointed it isn't Edelgard, happy that TH has a stage, music and cameos rather than a random spirit board. And I do like Byleth with multiple weapons. Overall I'm happy!
Yep!

One of my biggest fears would be that TH would get nothing but a spirit event. But now we got a character AND a stage/music. I'm so happy right now!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Not gonna lie, it's a bit of a bummer, Edelgard was the one first party character I had some hope in, while Byleth doesn't really do anything for me. It's nice to have the stage and music though.

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Welp looks like avatar privilege is real. Now to hope the next FE doesnt use an avatar...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here's Edie in the background of the stage.

edelgard.PNG

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Byleth also has an alternate palette based on Edelgard, along with Dimitri, Claude, and Sothis.

EDIT: Edelgard and Dorothea spirits too.

Last edited:

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Also Three Houses Music is in - which is the best part of the dlc. I really feared that we would not get those themes at all after beeing overlooked by the Game Awards. Unfortunately Byleths seems .... a little bit uninspired .... at least in comparision to the other 4 characters in the fighters pass. Also the models seem weird. But maybe thats just becauseof old build.

Can't make an avatar character female-default, I guess.
Well to be fair male Byleth is the more canon gender of the both. His male form were used in advertising from the start, while we learned just later that a female form exist and even much much later how she looked like.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Well to be fair male Byleth is the more canon gender of the both. His male form were used in advertising from the start, while we learned just later that a female form exist and even much much later how she looked like.
Same old song and dance. Happened with Kris, Robin, and Corrin before.

Have you any idea how it feels to be a female player but to always see the male prioritized?

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
Same old song and dance. Happened with Kris, Robin, and Corrin before.

Have you any idea how it feels to be a female player but to always see the male prioritized?
Hey I am not jugding. But as long as the male version of the avatar is shown first and has priosized marketing it makes sense to make that the default. So the critic should probably more be directed to Intelligent Systems then Sakurai.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
sigh... remainder that FP5 was decided BEFORE smash ultimate went live so 3 houses being a commercial and critical success won't influence FP5, so please guys, expectations in check and pelase don't expect FP5 to be a 3 houses rep.

That being said, there is still a very slim chance than they reveal something post pass, and Edelgard is fair game on the post pass but would be wise to just expect FP5 tailer, FP5 explanaition and FP5 launch soon instead.
well, this post aged horribly horribly horribly...

At least i was correct that we werent getting a 3 houses spirit event, right? riiiiight?

bittersweet since i would even prefered Claude or Dimitri over byleth... but the alt colors look sick and since byleth uses the lords weapons, i hope someone mods teh lords into teh game :o.

Still, Garreg Mach looks as fantastic as i expected it to look.

Now i think i want an edelgard mii costume :c

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
At least I can take solace that Dimitri or Claude were not chosen. If I wouldnt have Edelgard I did NOT want those two over her.

Nihilem

Smash Apprentice
well, this post aged horribly horribly horribly...

At least i was correct that we werent getting a 3 houses spirit event, right? riiiiight?

bittersweet since i would even prefered Claude or Dimitri over byleth... but the alt colors look sick and since byleth uses the lords weapons, i hope someone mods teh lords into teh game :o.

Still, Garreg Mach looks as fantastic as i expected it to look.

Now i think i want an edelgard mii costume :c

Well the argument that Sakurai probably didnt want to "pick a side" unfortunately always was a strong one. Not many people have played FE:TH (in comparision to zelda or mario I mean) and only a fraction of that played all three paths .... so that was the logical choice ..... even if the other ones would probably have better moveset options...

zumaddy

Smash Ace
edelgardsss.png Here's the Edelgard costume, definitely going to be using it alongside the mint hair for FByleth.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Well, it looks like it's over for us here. On the bright side, 3H didn't get spirit boarded so we at least get some content and Edie got the background slot and an alt attire. Not exactly what I wanted but it's for sure not as bad as it could feel right now. Overall I'm just happy we got the music in, especially Fodlan Winds

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well hey, we all knew this was a possibility.

But you know what? At least Three Houses got its content. And man did they do it justice. The Garreg Mach stage is literally perfect in every way, and we have a great selection of music (including Apex of the World!). Plus Edelgard's there in the back, being great as always.

And hey Aymr's in three of Byleth's moves, so that's at least something. Also this is the first time we've seen the official art for Dorothea, Ingrid, Hilda, Seteth, and Rhea, so that's really cool.

So while it's disappointing Edelgard isn't in, I'm still happy over all, because Three Houses only getting spirits would've been really disappointing.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What's nice, too, is that years from now when DLC is done, we have an Edelgard model and an Aymr model. Modders can make the dream kinda sorta real. :p

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to hear Edelgard didn’t make it as a newcomer. She would’ve been just as great if not better. I have bad luck of getting my favorite lords into smash, but she’ll always be one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Well I'm thrilled 3H got representation at all and the Edelgard color alt looks great so I'm pleased. :)

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
edelsold.jpg Sorry for the pic spam, but it seems the lord spirits can be enhanced to their time skip versions. I prefer time-skip Edelgard so I'm happy :D

Icelerate

Smash Apprentice
So many avatars in Smash. They might as well put Kris in as well to complete the set.

Emelie

Smash Cadet
Too bad that they always seem to prioritize the main characters first before adding the side characters. The roster would probably be more diverse if they added some other characters from Fire Emblem instead. I think the lack of diversity is what makes fans tired of Fire Emblem characters being added to Smash.

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Too bad that they always seem to prioritize the main characters first before adding the side characters. The roster would probably be more diverse if they added some other characters from Fire Emblem instead. I think the lack of diversity is what makes fans tired of Fire Emblem characters being added to Smash.
I got to wonder if even FE fans are getting sick of avatar syndrome and always having main characters.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So besides the trailer poking fun at fan complaints, does anyone find that there's hidden meaning in how the weapons are positioned in the moveset?

Failnaught is neutral, because Claude is the most neutral lord. Dimitri's are on the side due to his straightforward nature...

And the Creator Sword plus Aymr are up and down respectively to represent heaven and hell.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
When it comes to Avatars in Smash, it makes sense that Robin is male by default since I feel like their story makes much more sense that way. In Awakening, Chrom and Sumia are heavily pushed which pretty much invalidates F!Robin's existence since her only reasonable S-Support is with Chrom, but M!Robin doesn't have that problem because he doesn't have the potential to be the father of a plot relevant character. As for Byleth, well, M!Byleth overall just has the better "stoic mercenary/Ashen Demon" look than F!Byleth does, at least in my opinion. But they're kind of a tricky case. Since there's multiple routes and multiple endings, there's really no canon to this unless IS actually establishes a specific route canon. Which they won't. They never do lol.

Corrin has commonly been established within the community that M!Corrin is canon to Birthright and F!Corrin is canon to Conquest. As for Revelations, it's up in the air. I personally haven't played the game so I'm in no position to debate it.

As for Kris, the game seems heavily biased towards as M!Kris as well. Not only does he appear on the game's boxart, but he also appears on the in-game title as well. M!Kris and Katarina are heavily pushed whereas F!Kris and Katarina get a shortened version of M!Kris and Katarina's A-Support. IIRC, so far he has two Cipher art, whereas F!Kris has none.

I'd argue a case of Mark being heavily male again, but his impact has little to no importance on FE7's story anyway.

Kiran is meant to literally be the player so there's no debate there either.

Then again, I'm heavily biased. Like, extremely biased. Whenever I play as an avatar or a customizable protagonist in general, I tend to play as a male because that's easier for me to self-insert upon, so I often like to see the male as canon. Though, sometimes I play the Pokemon games as the female protagonist because I feel like they were intended to be the canonical one (Dawn, Hilda, Serena, Gloria). But that's a different story.

Anyway, I still think Corrin should've definitely been default female though. Maybe future FE games will create an Avatar that they envisioned to be primarily female.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
Dropping in to give my condolences to Edelgard fans. I would have loved to see her in Smash, although she wasn't my favorite since other characters had my eye more than her. Still, deconfirmations stink.

ZelDan

Smash Master
One detail I noticed that I like is that the Edelgard alt for Byleth gives her white gloves, similar to Edelgard. It's the only alt where female Byleth has gloves too.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If I play through Fire Emblem: Three Houses again, should I go with Claude's path or Dimitri's? I figure this would be one of the least biased places that I could ask, since I've already done Edelgard's route.

I'm aware that there's a church route as well, but by my understanding, it doesn't add much.

From what I've been told, Dimitri's route is the most "traditional" Fire Emblem experience, though as someone who's only really gotten into Awakening, I have no idea what that means. If Byleth's presence makes Dimitri more stable, then it might be worth playing to see what his deal is, but if he stays crazy regardless, then I could be stuck with a vengeance-obsessed lunatic for forty hours. (And from what I can tell so far, his vengeance seems entirely misplaced - I could be wrong, though)

Claude's route reveals the most lore, from what I've read, so I'm not sure if I should do it now or save it until the end. At the very least, Claude (and the members of his house) seems much easier to like than Dimitri.

Last edited:

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
If I play through Fire Emblem: Three Houses again, should I go with Claude's path or Dimitri's? I figure this would be one of the least biased places that I could ask, since I've already done Edelgard's route.

I'm aware that there's a church route as well, but by my understanding, it doesn't add much.

From what I've been told, Dimitri's route is the most "traditional" Fire Emblem experience, though as someone who's only really gotten into Awakening, I have no idea what that means. If Byleth's presence makes Dimitri more stable, then it might be worth playing to see what his deal is, but if he stays crazy regardless, then I could be stuck with a vengeance-obsessed lunatic for forty hours. (And from what I can tell so far, his vengeance seems entirely misplaced - I could be wrong, though)

Claude's route reveals the most lore, from what I've read, so I'm not sure if I should do it now or save it until the end. At the very least, Claude (and the members of his house) seems much easier to like than Dimitri.
As I personally love the Dimitri route i would recomend that one to everyone, but that route is severily chracter growth focus, so if you have probelms with the vengefull actitude of Dimitri, well, you will have a lot of that in his route. However there is growth of his character through the story and you will undertand his motives for doing what he does.

While Claude's route is not my favourite, it definitively explain lots of thing that hapens in the world better and the character are easier to like, while not so depth in my opinions. It truely depends if you want a more charcater driven story or lore of the world story.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

Dimitri's route is probably the most basic in terms of overall plot since your main goal is just to take down Edelgard and they don't really dive too much into the lore of Fodlan (outside of the Tragedy of Duscur which is the main focus for BL). I won't spoil much but I think you'll find Dimitri's character arc pretty satisfying. Dimitri was the Lord I cared about the least when I first got the game but after completing his route he became one of my favorites.

Since Claude's route explains the most lore I'd save his for after BL.

Troykv

Smash Master
It seems we have news about how the Side-Story works, Serenes translate them

https://serenesforest.net/2020/01/1...s-tiny-bit-light-cindered-shadows-side-story/

Basically it's like a new mode that you can access without entering the main-game (probably the reason for this is to not conflict too much with the timeline, after all the story happen somewhere before Chapter 10, probably in the early parts of the game).

The character are recruited to the main campaign after finishing the Side-Story (I imagine they'll acknowledge what happened in the Abyss previously if you recruit them in Early Game).

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As I personally love the Dimitri route i would recomend that one to everyone, but that route is severily chracter growth focus, so if you have probelms with the vengefull actitude of Dimitri, well, you will have a lot of that in his route. However there is growth of his character through the story and you will undertand his motives for doing what he does.

While Claude's route is not my favourite, it definitively explain lots of thing that hapens in the world better and the character are easier to like, while not so depth in my opinions. It truely depends if you want a more charcater driven story or lore of the world story.
Dimitri's route is probably the most basic in terms of overall plot since your main goal is just to take down Edelgard and they don't really dive too much into the lore of Fodlan (outside of the Tragedy of Duscur which is the main focus for BL). I won't spoil much but I think you'll find Dimitri's character arc pretty satisfying. Dimitri was the Lord I cared about the least when I first got the game but after completing his route he became one of my favorites.

Since Claude's route explains the most lore I'd save his for after BL.
Thanks for the responses. Going by these, I'll go with Dimitri next. My main concern is that he reminds me a lot of Sasuke from Naruto (stoic, broody, goes insane after a time-skip, obsessed with revenge even if it's misplaced), and I HATED Sasuke in Naruto. (I found him impossible to relate to, never understood why he was so popular, and found it annoying that he got most of the focus, even more than the main character that the series is named after) Hopefully that won't be the case once I play through his route, and hopefully I find him easier to like than Sasuke.

Top Bottom