• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EBGames/Gamestop Release Tournaments?

usea

Smash Ace
A store near me was given a pamphlet from corporate with instructions on how to run the tournament and all the rules. I glanced through it, and it mentioned that you can't bring your own controllers. You can only usee wii remote + nunchuk. That's what the document said, I guess it's up to each individual store to follow those rules.

I didn't have enough time to look at the rules like stock/time/length/1v1? etc

keeper

Smash Champion
i asked if i could bring my GC controller and the gamestop dude said yes, so ask your local gamestop workers if you can
If they refuse, I should bring the unopened controller I bought from them with the receipt to shut them up. I'll ask and thanks for that bit. >_O

Samus-T

Smash Lord
at the gamecrazy in my city, they're having a tourney for melee and whoever wins, gets a copy of brawl for free (midnight release of course)

snoosh

Smash Rookie
Hey it's you. A rumor? Not likely. I've been to at least 4 EBGames/Gamestops around my area (Berkeley, San Francisco, San Pablo) and they all confirmed that they are having midnight releases and tournaments. I was just wondering if anyone here had more info. I'm sure it'll be filled with newbs and n00bs but hey, it seems like a fun event with everyone getting their copy, more like a celebration.
So do you know what SF gamestop is going do with the tourny? Im hoping theyre not clueless about it

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Just call all the ones listed on the site and ask.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I'll be going to the one in West Hempstead, NY (Cherry Valley Ave)...I live closer to the ones in West Babylon/Islip, but as far as strategy goes, there's less tourny-style smashers in the West Hempstead area.

HowaitoKumaSan

Smash Apprentice
I checked over the rules, and it doesn't say anything about it being a Melee tournament. Or I might have gotten that confused with GameCrazy's tournament, which I plan on going to if my local GS's don't stop taking crazy pills.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
^ what he said.

there are several rounds, the first round are 1 minute matches.
if you win at your gamestop, you advance to the next round, which is two minute matches. after that you go to the semifinal round and then the finals i believe. i'm pretty sure items are on and only starting characters will be available.

the grand prize is a plasma tv and 5000 dollars.

A Big Galoot

Smash Rookie
^ what he said.

there are several rounds, the first round are 1 minute matches.
if you win at your gamestop, you advance to the next round, which is two minute matches. after that you go to the semifinal round and then the finals i believe. i'm pretty sure items are on and only starting characters will be available.

the grand prize is a plasma tv and 5000 dollars.
Not to mention a Wii and the entire first-party Wii Library of games.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
Good: Brawl tournament with kick *** national prizes
Bad: Is on the day the game is released, and oh yeah, the rules suck

I mean, 1 minute match, 1 game? At least after the first round you get 6 days to practice up. **** there are so many stores participating. Is there really 2500 or so stores participating? Good luck everyone :)

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I've had the game to play with for a while thanks to a modded Wii.

I should be able to win at the store-level no problem, since I doubt many others in the area have gotten to practice.

I wonder if there's going to be decent giveaways/prizes for store-level winners?

RicanThunder

Smash Cadet
This is going to be awesome. The gamestops in my area are all having the tournament but none of them know if they will get a demo version of the game prior to the release.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I've had the game to play with for a while thanks to a modded Wii.

I should be able to win at the store-level no problem, since I doubt many others in the area have gotten to practice.

I wonder if there's going to be decent giveaways/prizes for store-level winners?
I don't think it will be as easy as people expect it to be. I too have been playing it for a while now, but you have to remember how games work in Brawl. It takes forever to kill someone. And the matches are a minute long.

What people should be focused on is getting a quick kill WITHIN A MINUTE, then camping the rest. We should post ways to get quick kills, such as characters to use. We also have to assume that its starting roster only, in which case we can't go Marth and get easy tippers for a kill.

I'm thinking of doing Kirby-cide with Dedede, but I don't know how the points work for it.

Naybewon

Smash Ace
Theres a trophy for the winners. and wii and numchuck only =[
And your gamestops will have brawl on amrch 4th
And they're holding it until the first MINUTE of the 10th, THE *******S.

Excuse me whilst I cry. :<

More on topic:
I'm excited to play--Not sure if I should go with ZSS (the one I've been practicing with) or Zelda (my old Melee main) yet. The more I think about it, the more I think I should go with Zelda (she has a better chance of killing someone in under a minute...I THINK...) but I'm just not sure.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
But Brawl =/= Melee.

Just need to practice it and find out.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
yeah lol @ 1 minute. Items will help with that though. Do they do SD then? If so, just choose a fast character like Diddy.

Gaara♥

Smash Master
wow the finals are being held in San Jose??
Does anyone know where in SJ they will be held?

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Acctually i found out that all gamestops are doing there own things. acouple are doing no items. some are allowing ontrollers, but all are using 1 min rounds

Top Bottom