• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easiest Characters to Learn?

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
I used the search feature, I've looked at all the boards, and I couldn't find anything anywhere more appropriate than putting this thread here.

Fighter games typically have very high learning curves. While Tier Lists probably influence peoples decisions to main a certain character, (lol, before looking: I mained Ganondorf against my friends); however, undoubtly there's some characters that are easy to learn then others. Some characters require some pretty advanced techniques to get the most of. Aerials aren't the easiest thing to get down and not everyone can go start maximizing the potential of veterans like diddy king.

So: who's the easiest.. let's say 3 characters to pick up first and why?

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Mario is NOT easy to learn...

Snake is probably the easiest, by far. All you do is forward tilt and uptilt anyways.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
If you think aerials are hard, go play Mario.

Anything to back that up with?

I mean, mario many obstacles to overcome given his range and other fail tendencies. Beautiful when played right, but still, easiest to learn?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pikachu and Ike are quite easy characters to get down.

:phone:

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
*Facepalm* I meant the Mario series, since you only play with about three buttons and an analog.

Try MK. Not too technically demanding and he's a complete ******.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
*Facepalm* I meant the Mario series, since you only play with about three buttons and an analog.

Try MK. Not too technically demanding and he's a complete [HEYO].

Sorry haha, you should've clarified.

I said as an absolute beginner it may be a bit overwhelming learning the air game as it's kind've something that separates the dorm room hero from people who play online. Not that I'm some big inadept ****** afraid to learn ;)

Why are we saying MK, specially knowing he's banned?

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
Well, first off, you're just starting, so I don't think tourney rules are of high importance.

Second, most people wouldn't mind a noob using him since they'll just get read and mindgamed anyway.

Or, try Kirby. He's, as Hat n' Clogs said, he's not that hard to learn and requires minimal technical knowledge.

Jeffbelittle

Smash Apprentice
@Fox: Understood, and fair enough. Not exactly planning on going to APEX anytime soon.

I guess the real question is: why should one start learning with him? What's the benefit of learning him first?

@Holder: Really? I thought the exact opposite. Maybe because I play a lot of FFA but Olimar seemed pretty difficult

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
metaknight

learn to spam downsmash, *****nado(there is a reason it got that nickname) shuttle loop and down aerial, then learn how to plank on the ledge for 8 minutes.

gratz, you've already learned a large portion of metaknights game.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Pick up Marth, spam fair. Beat people who suck. Everyone else here is wrong. Have a nice day.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK is also easy. Wait till your enemy is open, charge your B, learn your range on your F Smash and for everything else: B Air. Also, learn to Up Tilt.

ZeldaFanUltima

Smash Apprentice
"Hands off my Prey". The easiest to learn are Marth, Wario/MK/Link, and FALCO. Falco, OMFG, is really super easy. He has 50x more pros than cons, seeing there are 50 pros and 0 cons on easiest character to use. Sheik works, but use the first 5 listed.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik only works for Melee. Whoever plays her in Brawl really??

:phone:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Marth is still the easiest, when you are bad you only need one move to win.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Marth is still the easiest, when you are bad you only need one move to win.
Marth requires spacing. Even his forward air requires spacing to be useful.

Most of the suggestions are not easy characters. Meta-Knight is also tough as he requires you to be generally good at the game first (like most twitch characters).

Diddy Kong got it right with Ike and Pikachu. Can't say the same for the rest of the people in this thread.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I say you should just try out a bunch of the characters and see which one feels most comfortable for you.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
In high level play? Kirby. Definitely kirby. All he requires is patients and basic spacing knowledge to get to the maximum level of kirby play. Theres not much to his metagame really.

However like the others have said, if your playing just bad players, snake and chu are pretty solid.
Kirby still ****s up scrubs though. :V Just Drill, and b-air all day!

Hairysun

Smash Rookie
Sunny's right. Kirby has seemed to be the go-to for beginners, even back during the 64 days. Metaknight isn't an easy character to play well, but noobs who button mash may be able to get some use out of him.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I'd say MK, Olimar, and Dedede.

MK just gets away with everything he does, Dsmash, Nado, UpB, you name it.
Olimar requires merely Side B, all of his smashes, and grab to be effective.
And Dedede is flowcharty, although at the higher levels of play you're going to have to give some commitment for him to be really good.

GaW and Marth are also good contenders, but even they're a little technical.

Sarix

Smash Ace
I'd say all three Kirby characters are really really easy to use.

MK cuts through virtually everyone else's attacks as John#s said.
Kirby is really simplistic in nature and once you know how to space properly and deal with his lack of priority he has quite a few simple yet effective combos.
Dedede has his flow chart to deal with most MUs, but for high level play he does require technical skill & commitment to be successful.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I'd say all three Kirby characters are really really easy to use.

MK cuts through virtually everyone else's attacks as John#s said.
Kirby is really simplistic in nature and once you know how to space properly and deal with his lack of priority he has quite a few simple yet effective combos.
Dedede has his flow chart to deal with most MUs, but for high level play he does require technical skill & commitment to be successful.
Agree. I also think DDD is the hardest of the 3 but still doesn't require an extreme amount of skill, but some commitment.

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
Agreeing with the Kirby characters. Not so much Marth. Marth is one of the harder characters to use. I mean yea you can spam Fair, but not only does it require good spacing (which is hard to learn), but you also need to be able to tipper. (which is also hard) Don't know much about Pikachu.
I also have to say that TLink is easy. I'm learning him right now, and he's not too tough. Basically jump around, chuck projectiles, and go in for the kill once you've racked up enough damage.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I find TL to be incredibly hard, he requires a lot of strategy when chunking stuff at people. I can't do **** with him.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Dedede is easy to use. Walk > shield > grab when appropriate. Chuck side B occasionally. Bair whenever you're in the air and bait stuff with his jumps.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Olimar or MK. For Olimar legit just press side b and run away while pressing side b and approach while pressing side b. Then use u-smash/whatver you feel like with anything but a white.

MK run away and do rising dairs and falling fairs. Grab the edge and a falling uair, then a rising uair, then a falling fair, then run away some more and use shuttle loop sometimes. B cancel it, don't use the glair.

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
Another thing I have to say is that the easiest character for you to learn may not be one of these, and that's ok. The easiest character for you is probably the one that mathes your style the most, as that character will come naturally. That's why we get so many different opinions on this. I'll use TL for example. I personally find TL to be an easy character since running around while slamming projectiles and using a sword for close range combat matches my play style. However, it doesn't match LzR's style, and as such he finds TL to be difficult.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
@Holder: Really? I thought the exact opposite. Maybe because I play a lot of FFA but Olimar seemed pretty difficult
Yep, he has some deadly fast smash attacks with high priority and good range. He even deals high amounts of damage. During my first tournament with him I got fourth with like 30 people there and everytime I played there was a crowd behind me discussing how broken he is.

BC.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
direprophecy
G&W - Jump around in the air while mashing the c-stick in any direction
- Jump above your opponent and then d-air from above
- D-Smash for the kill
Like some people have been saying Olimar is easy to use, but he really sucks if you don't have good DI, because his recovery is so terrible.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
There are characters that noobs can pick up and do well with like Ike, Snake(depends if they know how to tilt), Pit etc

Easiest to learn?
Kirby, DDD?

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
Snake? I'd think learning Snake would be tough. Having to learn stuff like stage control more than other characters and have to use tough ATs like DACUS doesn't seem easy to me.

But that's just me. (read my last post)

BSP

Smash Legend
MK
-fast, good range, low lag, good damage, super easy to learn and low learning curve. However, you have to put time into him to make him work at high level, since everyone will know exactly what to do vs. you

Olimar
-Grab, Smash, Whistle, and you're good. Seriously, that's all you need to pick up Oli. Throw in an aerial here or there and you're golden. Same thing with MK though: at high level, you're going to have to learn how to get used Olimar's Odd Priority

Game and Watch
-to pick up, he's not difficult. He's got range, some speed, and loads or power. You can get away with his laggy attacks when you're just starting out as well. As you play better people though, you will have to cover his flaws though. Still, he's not hard to just start playing.

Snake is one of the most awkward smash characters imo. I would not consider him easy to pick up. You have a lot to learn about stage control if you're playing him.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Oh and more Olimar strats- Run around in circles air dodging a lot. Until you get to quite high level play air dodges are nearly untouchable. Couple with the inability to play calmly against Olimar and you have an A rank contender.

angel boy

Smash Rookie
It depends if they want to actually learn the basics so they can build on that I'd say kirby.

If it's a ffa I'd say someone like Ike.

Although I know a few people who pick olimer and do very well now that I think about it.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
If you think aerials are hard, go play Mario.
I've probably only used Mario maybe 25times tops in my entire brawl career (subspace included) and i find him pretty easy :)

Of course i also mained with him in Meele, and he hasn't changed much so i wouldn't know.

OT: Why not try pit?
Low lag skills, good priority, excellent attack speed, decent running speed, not too easily punished.

Everyone is diffrent, so he might not come as naturally to you depending on your play style, but i was able to pick him up in about two days

Top Bottom