• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Early Upairs

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
So I recently started working on doing my upairs with z so that I can do them instantly. I never realized how important this was. Are there any suggestions on other ways to do it that are more easy to use consistently? Right now I have to tilt the analog, short hop with X, and then uair with z, but I can't maintain my DI forward if I do this.

Also, this really should be emphasized more. They're sooooo good

Windrose

Smash Lord
For some reason a lot of falcon players that are just starting ask about the early rising up air and emphasize on how important it is for them to learn it correctly so that they can combo....

o_O?

can you guys show some videos and when you guys found this to be critical?? I generally found there's more than a reasonable amount of time to get in that up air and i usually don't do the instant rising up air and can still catch players after say...an u throw on marth at like 40%.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
For some reason a lot of falcon players that are just starting ask about the early rising up air and emphasize on how important it is for them to learn it correctly so that they can combo....

o_O?

can you guys show some videos and when you guys found this to be critical?? I generally found there's more than a reasonable amount of time to get in that up air and i usually don't do the instant rising up air and can still catch players after say...an u throw on marth at like 40%.
I've been playing Falcon for about half a year now, and I've been getting along fine without it. However, out of uthrow it is SO nice. Check out Hax vs. Amsah. He does it pretty much every time. Plus, it's an alternative to nair, which I think hits a little higher on the first hit than uair's starting hitbox, meaning it misses Marf on the rise (Which is hella bad)

Also, I've been doing it against some CPUs and it makes your Falcon look so much faster.

Windrose

Smash Lord
that's just standard up throw up air stuff.

There are generally two ways of screwing it up.

You try to jump too early and you do an up smash after the up throw in stead.

OR

You try up air too early and you just jump and do nothing and marth/sheik hits you with a move out of the up throw lag.

It's really simple to do and you shouldn't have any problems / need to do early rising up air.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
that's just standard up throw up air stuff.

There are generally two ways of screwing it up.

You try to jump too early and you do an up smash after the up throw in stead.

OR

You try up air too early and you just jump and do nothing and marth/sheik hits you with a move out of the up throw lag.

It's really simple to do and you shouldn't have any problems / need to do early rising up air.
My problem isn't messing it up. It's that the c-stick takes too long to move, so I can't hit fox with it the instant it comes out. It's frustrating.

Windrose

Smash Lord
against fox? I don't think up throw up air is something common that happens in that match up.

if they fly that high then just forward smash or knee.

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
against fox? I don't think up throw up air is something common that happens in that match up.

if they fly that high then just forward smash or knee.
Sorry, I didn't think that post out. I was just giving an example of how it's slower for me with c-stick. You can hit a standing Fox with rising uair if you do it fast enough.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
i agree with windrose on this one. the uair for sheik and marth out of uthrow isn't too difficult to do in time by sliding your thumb between Y/X and A.

it's nice to be able to do super early uairs though. sometimes sets up multiple FH uair that you wouldn't necessarily get otherwise on marth, peach and others. if you can double/triple shine with fox/falco or shdl with fox, your fingers should be fast enough to use X/Y and A or cstick for a pretty fast uair.

cstick doesn't take too long to move, you could do it fast enough if you just train your fingers to be faster.

D

Deleted member

So I recently started working on doing my upairs with z so that I can do them instantly. I never realized how important this was. Are there any suggestions on other ways to do it that are more easy to use consistently? Right now I have to tilt the analog, short hop with X, and then uair with z, but I can't maintain my DI forward if I do this.

Also, this really should be emphasized more. They're sooooo good
easiest way IMO is to jump with Y/X and lightly press up on control stick and press A

this is for INSTANT up-airs out of short hop

Walt

Smash Ace
shorthop with stick
uair with c-stick

doing the instant uair has never been hard for me but I've been adding into my play in other ways than comboing lately. uair OoS and defensive spaced uairs are ****.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
The instant Uair out of upthrow is very good on Fox when they're expecting something like Dsmash at a % that doesn't kill them cuz they'll survival DI and you get another Uair at the very least (usually you can get a knee)

Instant Uairs are also sweet for scooping people who jump

I just use Y to jump and hit A with my thumb, you can do Uairs with the stick pointed at or slightly above 45 degrees up and forward so you can retain forward momentum while Uairing

D

Deleted member

wtf how do you instant up-air!?!?! can u instant full-hop knee after an up-throw through buffer?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I hit Y and slide over to A while tilting the stick 45 degrees up

I'm pretty bad at doing knees though <_< miss a lot of stomp knees in tournament like a noob

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
can't buffer aerials
can't buffer shorthops
can buffer full-hops

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
So... z is ****ing amazing. You don't need to move your finger from x/y to A, and you don't have to move it to c-stick. Once you get used to it and don't JC grab, it is AMAZING. I can hit Falco miss techs with a rising uair.

Windrose

Smash Lord
A lot of people actually switches to clawing in the middle for comboing. It's a pretty good way of gaining full control over your momentum and having good access to all the buttons when you need it during comboing moments.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I tried to do that for JC upsmashing with Fox, but learning how to short hop with the index finger doesn't seem worth it ...

mesa23

Smash Journeyman
i use x and c-stick

i press x with my thumb and then use the part where my thumb connects with my hand to hit the c stick up.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It was two disjoint ideas that I awkwardly mashed together with a comma
*Laziness*

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
I have been trying to learn claw for those up airs, but I use the X button to jump so it totally sucks!
I need to learn how to use Y

Citizen Snips

Smash Journeyman
I have been trying to learn claw for those up airs, but I use the X button to jump so it totally sucks!
I need to learn how to use Y
Seriously, man. Z button. It's the same as a jc grab, but with a slight delay between hitting x and z. Then proceed as normal.

Dulren

Smash Cadet
I respect S2J's method for quick uairs a lot, it's definitely the most precise method...

but I suck at this game way too much to consistently pull that off, especially when i'm going for follow-ups, etc. So, I advocate the Z button for such purposes. not only is it really comfortable, it's fast as hell once you've got it down.

Windrose

Smash Lord
You use Y to jump in clawing.

You just press with the side of your index finger. It's really easy to transition from normal mode (i usually press x with my thumb to jump) to clawing as you just slightly tilt your hand.

I notice a lot of other players do this too (I'm pretty sure m2k switches to claw at some points during a match too)

It's kinda like shifting gears in a car when you need to.

D

Deleted member

i don't claw with Y only when i want to hold a shine with fox/falco and aerial out of it for edgeguarding

Windrose

Smash Lord
it's a lot easier to do very technical things and have good consistency over your character with clawing.

However, everything done with claw can be done without clawing. It's just easier and more efficient on your hands.

It also requires less effort which may reduce some long term damage on your controller parts

S l o X

Smash Champion
instant uair oos = shield > double tap (upwards) c stick.
running instant uair = jump (x) > tap up (sometimes hold depending on what im doing) on control stick + A.

i switch controller position depending on how im playing and with what character. i can only do double shines with my thumb over x and b.

fast uairs are good but they don't out prioritize any moves (actually, it'll most likely trade) that will be changing it anyway so i only throw them out if someone is gonna jump oos or if they're above me and might fall through platform (before they throw out a move).

Mr Postman

Smash Journeyman
You can follow up with them when nothing else is fast enough.
Like after up throwing marth you can hit him with a fast up air.

Windrose

Smash Lord
you don't need super fast up air to do that....there's lots of time........... i just uthrow, short hop up air......

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
I find short jumping with the control stick and Uairing with the C stick to be the most effective way. Do a reversed moonwalk kinda(Moonwalk up), upwards and you can also keep momentum with your uairs doing really fast uairs.

Can be tricky at start but using your control stick to Short jump can let you do some really fast stuff. As an example I SHDL spamming the stick when I play fox.

Top Bottom