• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DWYP 1 Archieves ( Merged )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That's what I planned to discuss. Since some of the DWYP-non DHers haven't posted in a while, I am bit concerned as to whether or not they are still interested in participation. Probably tomorrow, I will PM all winners to ensure they wish to participate in round 2. If they decline, I will start going for highest grades that didn't win. Zephyr, as of now, you are admitted to the next round which would give us 15 (more on how/if we need the 16th person or not, later). However, your position may be compromised if none of the current winner decline and we can't find anyone to take the other spot (I don't see this happening, but just warning you).

After I get confirmation from the winners/participants for DWYP 1.2, we will work on a new method for assigning debates and what not. So hold tight.

Also, I forgot to mention who we, the judges, selected to admit to the Debate Hall. The person from round one is...

I like to build anticipation

*yawn*

Zephyr

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Congratulations on becoming a debater, Zephyr.

My anticipation for the next round hasn't died yet so congratulations to all of the winners and yada, yada, yada...

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Congratulations on becoming a debater, Zephyr.

My anticipation for the next round hasn't died yet so congratulations to all of the winners and yada, yada, yada...
o_0

Er...what? I don't think I got promoted to Debater status...CK never said that, did he? I'm not in the usergroup, to say the least.

When I saw that, my first thought was, "YES!!! Sexy pink name!!!" Then I saw that it wasn't to become. ;_;

But hey, if you can't find a sixteenth debater to match with me, that's fine. For the good of the tournament, right?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
I LOVE THE SEXY PINK NAME.

OK, done now. Good luck to everyone second round, even if I don't make it.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Meh, for the one thread that's out there that I don't even have a strong opinion on.

Wow, I'm ********. I can't believe I missed that. And I managed to get made a Debater at the same time. Ironic.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
I want to go on :(
I want you to go on too. Even though your position in your debate didn't agree with mine on that issue, I was impressed by your capabilities. It was the only gay marriage debate that I enjoyed reading.

Y'arr, as long as there's a chance you're advancing someone else who didn't win, I'd still like to advance if possible.
Both you and DeLoRtEd1 are people I'd like to see advance, even though you both lost. Zephyr too, of course.

I'm the only one with A+ across the board, does this mean I get top seed?

:D
I wish I could have seeded this tournament (of course, it would have been just my opinions on who should be put where), but the way this round was configured made that nearly impossible. Next round I hope we can instigate seeding, so we don't have excellent debaters knocked out just because their opponent had a slightly more excellent debate.

We might be able to do it by grades, which would be slightly more objective than just doing it based on the opinions of any one judge, like we would have had to for the first round.

I'm not saying we're doing this, because I really don't have final say in the matter, but I'm definitely planning on bringing this up to CK and EE.

On a side note, I'm wondering why the judges feel the need to say which side of the debate they are on during their summaries? <_< I don't know why but that bothers me, probably because I don't want it to affect how I'm judged since I know I'm going to be a minority viewpoint most of the time.
Whether the judges explicitely state their opinion when judging your debate or not, they're bound to have some opinion on whatever issue you're debating. Just because a judge admits to having a bias doesn't mean that they're going to let that bias affect their grading.

Everybody has a bias. Ignoring it isn't going to make it disappear. Really, a judge should be aware of their bias, so that they can make sure it's not affecting how they judge the debate. I know that when I was grading an argument from somebody I disagreed with, I was constantly checking myself to make sure that I was making any markdowns for a valid reason, and not merely because they didn't share my opinions.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
The only problem with doing it by grades is... well, you said it yourself. The grades are relative.
What exactly do you mean by "relative?"

Because if you mean what I think you mean, I might as well tell you that I pretty much ignored the skill of a debater's opponent when grading his or her debate. I can't speak for CK or EE, but I'm pretty sure my grades aren't "relative."

(Unless you mean something else by "relative" that I'm just not catching, in which case you should just ignore what I said.)

EDIT: And even if there are some problems with seeding, I still think it might be better to do it with a few problems than to not do it at all. Look, you may have been knocked out with a debate that was on average graded as a "B" (and I thought your debate was unusually weak, that time). There are three people who got bumped up to the next round with grades in the "C" range. That's not good.

Even though whatever seeding might be done wouldn't be perfect, hopefully it would at least prevent another situation like this from happening.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
What exactly do you mean by "relative?"

Because if you mean what I think you mean, I might as well tell you that I pretty much ignored the skill of a debater's opponent when grading his or her debate. I can't speak for CK or EE, but I'm pretty sure my grades aren't "relative."

(Unless you mean something else by "relative" that I'm just not catching, in which case you should just ignore what I said.)

EDIT: And even if there are some problems with seeding, I still think it might be better to do it with a few problems than to not do it at all. Look, you may have been knocked out with a debate that was on average graded as a "B" (and I thought your debate was unusually weak, that time). There are three people who got bumped up to the next round with grades in the "C" range. That's not good.

Even though whatever seeding might be done wouldn't be perfect, hopefully it would at least prevent another situation like this from happening.
Ah. Sorry, my mistake. I may have been remembering incorrectly. I though that you had said something about the grades being based on comparison to the opponent. No offense meant.

Also, I agree that imperfect seeding would be better than no seeding. (Hopefully I didn't sound like I was disputing this.)

And again, if I'm out, I'm out. I lost fair and square to someone with a better debate prepared than I did, and do not contest the judges' decision regarding the outcome nor my grade.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
Everybody has a bias. Ignoring it isn't going to make it disappear. Really, a judge should be aware of their bias, so that they can make sure it's not affecting how they judge the debate. I know that when I was grading an argument from somebody I disagreed with, I was constantly checking myself to make sure that I was making any markdowns for a valid reason, and not merely because they didn't share my opinions.
How about the judges simply leave out their opinion on the subject. I know you have your own opinion, he knows you have your own opinion, but if you keep it out there is no reason to question your scores. I just think it could save some trouble.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
How about the judges simply leave out their opinion on the subject. I know you have your own opinion, he knows you have your own opinion, but if you keep it out there is no reason to question your scores. I just think it could save some trouble.
Mentioning the fact that we have an opinion doesn't mean it's going to affect our judging.

I don't see why a judge acknowledging their opinion on a subject should give you any more reason to "question [their] scores" than you would otherwise have. Look at kishprime's debate. At least two out of three judges disagreed with him, and said that in their reviews (I'm not sure about Eric's stance). Yet all three judges gave him the better grade. And his opponent was no pushover, either. Look at DeLoRtEd1's debate. Yes, he lost, but he got all A's, and there's serious consideration being given to pushing him into the next round.

Yes, there is a possibility of bias inherent to this contest. But the fact that judges acknowledge that they have opinions does not make those opinions any more or less likely to sway their judging.

Given the nature of the contest, it's not possible to be completely objective, but rest assured, we're trying to leave our own personal views out of this contest.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
What ever man. I don't see why its necessary to post your opinion in the thread you are judging. That doesn't hold up in court because it leaves a lot to question. If I was a doctor of an abortion clinic that was bombed, the man responsible was found and prosecuted. If the judge stated he believed abortion to be evil I would request a new trial, and you would have to be stupid not to.

I'm glad you gave the debaters good scores (the ones who deserved it) I just simply think its bad form to put your stance on the issue. I sure as hell would play the bias card if I truly believed it affected my score.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Out of curiosity, did I state my opinion in any of them? I wasn't sure.

As for seeding, it'd be really difficult to do in that, as everyone stated, it's based on opinions, not fact as to who is best and what not. Also, with the exception of very few, the ones that went on got As or Bs.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Not trying to say there is bias, I just feel weird about it being in the judging summary. I know it's incredibly difficult to judge things like this impartially, and I trust that it is being done.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
Can someone help me here, I know I'm not a math major or anything, but can you explain how a B+ (CK), A- (EE), and A- (Med) averages out to a B+. I just that that was kinda weird.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
How is an A- under a 4.0? If I make straight A's through school (even A-'s), ill still have a 4.0.

I just can't believe that two A-'s and a B+ average out to a B+. To me, a B+ is in the high 80's which would translate to the higher end of the 3.0 scale, not the lower 3.33 part. That is where the B- should be.

I don't want to affect anyone else's grade, but I'll use Uncle Kenny as an example. He recieved an A (CK), B+(EE), and B+(Med) and made an A? WOW! My two A-'s and a B+ average out to be lower than two B+'s and an A. If thats how this works then this grading scale is horribly skewed.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
How is an A- under a 4.0? If I make straight A's through school (even A-'s), ill still have a 4.0.
That is probably because you are in AP classes, that are graded on a 5.0 standard. If you're not, and you still make 4.0 without getting 100s, I hate you, your school, and whatever college you're going to.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I live in Louisiana. I am using the scale I have been graded on since elementary school. A = 4.0; B = 3.0; C = 2.0; D = 1.0; F = 0.0. Pluses = 0.33 to the current number. (B+ = 3.33); Minuses = 0.66 to the PREVIOUS grade. (B- = 2.66).

We have the lowest education in the union and that's how I am graded. Sorry if it's wrong.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Haha! Texas is beating you guys by a spot. Take that, ****ing Cajuns.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
That is probably because you are in AP classes, that are graded on a 5.0 standard. If you're not, and you still make 4.0 without getting 100s, I hate you, your school, and whatever college you're going to.
I don't have to make 100's for a 4.0, sorry. I did take AP classes when I was in highschool. But in college it is just A, B, C, D, F there is not +'s or -'s. In Arizona, Georgia, and Arkansas, where I have attended school, there are not +'s and -'s. Georgia, actually doesnt even have a D.

CK- I feel bad for you man, anywhere else, and I would have an A easily. And by your standards, shouldn't uncle Kenny have a B-. 3.33+3.33+4.0= 10.66/3= 3.55?

Uncle Kenny- I should have slept with the judges. :)

D

Deleted member

Well, that's because marthmaster clearly won. I mean god.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Don't call people bigots or digital watches will get all uppity *****ing how you excluded someone in one instance and therefore are also a bigot.

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Don't call people bigots or digital watches will get all uppity *****ing how you excluded someone in one instance and therefore are also a bigot.
I now realize that the word is never ever used in a stilted manner, the meaning changed in order to benefit certain points of view. Clearly the way things are worded is never used to incite bias.

Skywalker

Space Jump
The Louisiana GPA scale is identical to my school system's, except that in mine Honors courses aren't weighted. It's a really screwed up scale, if you ask me.

Zephyr, I'm not a judge, but I have a feeling the next round will begin within a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom