• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DVCrecROOM Sessions (Next Session 4/22/09, yes it is a wednesday)

WassupJB

Smash Lord
yeah, ian is right. there is more to this game than people are willing to see, much more. fact of the matter is melee reached a climax last year. especially with a # of players getting into the game, that just always increases. but people who were just getting good, now have to play brawl to keep that competitive crowd. which they don't want to do. obvious reason being, completely new game, their new found skill doesn't transfer. and they use the excuse "it's not technical enough" when the game hasn't been discovered it's essence yet. (i've already spoken on this with zhu, so i have developed a pretty strong argument lol).

personally i'm just waiting for the "wave dashing" of brawl. meaning a competitive technique (whether truly effective or not lol) is discovered and implemented in game styles, that for some fu.cking reason allow the game to sky rocket. i don't know if i'm 100% correct in saying this, but wave dashing was the thing that boosted melee competitive level. and after that, a whole bunch of techniques were created (whether related to WD or not). and this is where zhu got me. he said that since there is that competitive crowd in melee, more people playing, there were more people able to discover new techniques, which IS that competitive crowd playing brawl now. when he said that, all i could say was true, but that doesn't justify brawl being at it's technical peak in 3 weeks (american version, a little over 2 months japanese version). you know? give the game time. there is already a technique with snake that Hella (nick) implements all the time. dash attack to upsmash. it's tight, but it's hard to make effective, with all the defensive strategies in brawl. and THAT is what makes the game interesting! HOWdo you make that work?! or if not, what WILL work? you need to be smart and strategic.

i did NOT mean to get that into it, i just kept typing lol.

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
told you guys brawl was dum.

yeah, ian is right. there is more to this game than people are willing to see, much more. fact of the matter is melee reached a climax last year.
really, what are you talking about? What climax in Melee? Last I checked MELEE WAS STILL DEVELOPING. Forward opened my eyes to this...Towards the end of Melee, Falcon was beating fox. G reg beating Forward, Darkrain beating Azen, Jeff.... lol.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
told you guys brawl was dum.

really, what are you talking about? What climax in Melee? Last I checked MELEE WAS STILL DEVELOPING. Forward opened my eyes to this...Towards the end of Melee, Falcon was beating fox. G reg beating Forward, Darkrain beating Azen, Jeff.... lol.
Haze is right. By the end of Melee, the best players in the West coast played floaties.

Samus, Luigi, and Jigglypuff.

(Zhu and Jeff are exceptions because Norcal's tech skill is too perfect.)

Melee was definitely still developing... the final tournaments of 2007 and 2008 were very interesting. After MLG, I thought the peak of the game had been reached, until I saw the likes of Mango and HugS tear it up at Evo. People's playstyles were evolving.

Brawl's timing was unfortunate.

I don't say the game sucks... but it certainly provides less excitement in its early stages. I will give it time... but I'd say, some of us are getting old and busy haha...

K Balls

Smash Journeyman
melee is ****ing broken i dont know why you guys like playing melee whats so good about it? I geuss you guys have your reasons why you dont like brawl. I had my reasons for not liking melee. Whats so bad about brawl guys? I think(for now) its fun. If you guys dont like it then dont come to tournaments and go play that other game. Its a free country! We all know that SSB>Melee

seigehyland

Smash Ace
nobody is denying it's fun, but that's it, it's a ****en party game.
hahaha...geez...so true...i think that every thing is too floaty tho. in brawl samus and jigglypuff dont really seem light anymore, they seem the same as everyone else. its kind of frustrating...

theres an option in brawl that allows you to change the gravity in brawls to make the characters heavier...which i think would be a more efficient thing to do, considering the fact that im not the only one who thinks that weight is one of the many reasons as to why this game isnt that great as melee...

its not a big change....but i think it would make it better.

eh whatever...brawl blows melees balls...melee should just make a comeback and have Hal laboratories make a new better smash...where its got the same gameply as melee, but just more characters....thats basically what made all of the marvel vs capcom games so fun and competitive...they just kept the old characters the same, same moves and all..and just added more characters who were DOPE...

Sonic sucks...

enough rambling from seige

WassupJB

Smash Lord
True mike and dre. though there is a huge fallacy in saying melee is evolving cause one character in the game now beats another (your falcon and fox reference), the game was still evolving . and imo melee progressing was tight, i still enjoy watching melee vids now. but when i speak of "reached a climax" i meant in the amount of players that truly took the game competitively. i should have clarified that. sure there are HELLLA people who entered the smash scene late, but i also feel that most of the new comers in the smash community were playing melee (specifically before brawl came out) to suffice them till the release of brawl. and i believe there are plenty of competitive players, ranked/known or not, that quit. and just played for fun, which isn't competitive.

but i will say at the rate melee could have kept rising..it is unfortunate brawl came out.

Hostility

Smash Ace
You guys can whine all you want about brawl. But the fact is that it is still a competitive game, but instead of being a very technical game, it's now more about being smart, patient, and predicting what the other person is going to do.

seigehyland

Smash Ace
HAHAHAHA...camping and counter camping..

genius

But derek..its now about being smart, patient, predicting what the other person is going to do....

i have all but 1 of those traits....i cant counter camp ( as tofu suggested) im the original camper...im a link player...

i camp...so if someone counter camps me im fcuked. because im like..oh my god...first person to take a stock wins...EFF this 3 stock garbage.

Hostility

Smash Ace
HAHAHAHA...camping and counter camping..

genius

But derek..its now about being smart, patient, predicting what the other person is going to do....

i have all but 1 of those traits....i cant counter camp ( as tofu suggested) im the original camper...im a link player...

i camp...so if someone counter camps me im fcuked. because im like..oh my god...first person to take a stock wins...EFF this 3 stock garbage.
Lol you might wanna learn then, because if all you do is camp, you're not really letting yourself progress much.

Zoap

Smash Master
I will be making it to the recording. All I do in brawl is smash alot in many directions and I win matches.
fixed for you lucien :)

Teams cmon now, unless I have my actual teams partner teams doesnt count. In the words of Socal, you guys need to calm down.

I only camp certain chars, others you cant camp as you get ***** from afar.

Miztik

Smash Master
I think its funny how mikeHAZE waste his time talkin about how much brawl sucks.......he must like it enough to talk about everything wrong with it lol anyways

Jason is the man.....Hostility is correct....Kawn is funny cool....

hey jason my bro has wrist bands that say WWJD............that was the main purpose for me to come to this thread just to tell you that lol

i want to play all you guys.......

seigehyland

Smash Ace
hahaa,,mikehaze also is like...2nd place in the gamebattles.com dealy...lol..he is doing pretty well for hating it so much...

no but seriously...i dislike brawl..

SOMEONE REVIVE MELEE!!!!!!!!!!

cubaisdeath

Smash Lord
if it makes you feel better, I've got the campiest snake in the entire world, not to mention a campy Dedede

Hostility

Smash Ace
if it makes you feel better, I've got the campiest snake in the entire world, not to mention a campy Dedede
You didn't camp that much when I played your snake, and your dedede isn't that campy. Well, not as campy as myron or zoap when they want to be >_>. those guys are the 2 best campers in norcal.

WassupJB

Smash Lord
Yeah you're gay eric. We know.

Well if you want to know something! I have the best mario in norcal by default. Cause nobody mains him! Yeah! lol

Cosmonaut213

Smash Rookie
Lucien is SO inspiring and makes me want to train hardcore with wolf...I hope he can give tutorials...I would really like to learn from lucien.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Anyone from the southern-ish part of the Bay Area going to this. Like south of South City lol. Cuz I really wanna go, but no ride (since my car got taken away T_T)

WassupJB

Smash Lord
yes he is. lol since he isn't answering (or not in this thread at least).

tomorrow ( know it's ridiculously late notice) but smashing/brawling begins at 10. recording begins at 1. session ends at 7! 30 more minutes!!!! yay!

N4N3RZ

Smash Journeyman
I think I'll be showing up to this, Can anyone give me a number I can call incase I can't find the place lol, I'll be driving from Oakland.

Top Bottom