• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dustbowl 4! MK Banned! RC+Brinstar added!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
sharky lives in the town that the tournament will be at, so if he doesnt show we gon have to fight.

brawl starts at 3 according to the fb event

as far as tolls, I dont know where you are specifically but this should help

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/tolls/calc/findclass/classtree.cgi

i get off at exit 39 but you might want to try 40 or 41 since im driving from the opposite direction. but at a glance, any where from 7 to 17 dollars one way.

GDI

I was tryna get at maybe making some money at this tournament, and now san AND dabuz fkn up my plans. plus I have no idea how much better any or everybody else has gotten since I played them...

hate you all. I really need to find some way to get some hardcore practice in in the next week and a half.

Sharky

Smash Master
Oh makes sense :p SHARKY ARE YOU GOING?

Edit: trying to figure out how much this trip will cost with tolls. Anyone have any idea. I'm coming from Long Island.
****ing expensive, as I've told you before when you've asked me to come to your tournies =P but I don't know any actual numbers off-hand, so you should figure it out and make your own decision.

and yes, I'll be making the much shorter trip to this =P

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Well Sharky what you consider expensive is subjective so I could never tell;o;. And less than 20$? I expected a lot more I'm fine with 17$ for tolls lol. Lets do Yoshi dittos at this :D

:phone:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Okay so I'm interested in this, wanna know a few things
-List of all the big names that are interested/confirmed (I know Fatal is confirmed, didn't wanna read all 5 pages though)
-Would I be able to get housing? Pidge isn't even sure if she's gonna get housing and if I come, I'm gonna be travelling with her (and ideally we'd be housed in the same place) so I wanna make sure I'm getting housing before I buy my bus tickets
-This is only singles, correct?
-I didn't read the entire ruleset cause I'm studying right now but so far it looks like the Unity Ruleset with no amendments, even though it said there are a few amendments...Are there? What are the amendments?

Uh I think that's it. Respond soon pls

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Okay so infiniteV115 is considering going to this too - meaning we will both require housing!!!

edit: ninja'd by a pooplord

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
-List of all the big names that are interested/confirmed (I know Fatal is confirmed, didn't wanna read all 5 pages though)
-Would I be able to get housing? Pidge isn't even sure if she's gonna get housing and if I come, I'm gonna be travelling with her (and ideally we'd be housed in the same place) so I wanna make sure I'm getting housing before I buy my bus tickets
-I didn't read the entire ruleset cause I'm studying right now but so far it looks like the Unity Ruleset with no amendments, even though it said there are a few amendments...Are there? What are the amendments?

Fatal is no longer coming. San is confirmed though, and Raptor stated Dabuz is interested in coming. Those are the top names that are reported to attend.

And yes, this is singles only (which is why Fatal dropped out).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

list of names. already taken care of
housing, Still working on that.
singles only, yes. Might do doubles at future events.
amendments to the unity ruleset, mainly the stagelist and my love of DQing people.

Note to everyone, you can pretty much go into this with the assumption that I get my rocks off by DQing people from tournaments. Also note that I will be entering, and while i am fair, I have no qualms with making my bracket easier. So I suggest that nobody give me a good reason to do so. Be early if possible, dont stall, dont walk off during the tournament without telling me. If I call for you, and you dipped for 10 minutes to get food, and I cant find you, you bout to come back to a nice warm seat in the losers bracket.

That being said, I dont foresee any problems and if there is anything at the venue I can do to assist in your tournament going experience, by all means, let me know.

Thank you very much in advance.

also, Bring setups please!

Uh...what does the turnout look like so far? ie Estimated # of entrants
30+
:\
Not exactly the most alluring turnout.
1. You aint even gonna place in the money, so nothing for you to worry about there champ =)
2. It will most definitely crack 30. possibly 35-40 considering you 2 and the down state car.

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
augh i dont wanna go alone but i already bought bus tickets lololololol

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
this is his one chance to learn the Ike matchup and to have his eyes opened as to why sonic and ike are actually good characters.

No_Skillz

Smash Apprentice
@sharky when i travel down there it usually comes to around 70-80 round trip in gas and tolls. tolls down there get fkin stupid

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i don't think v115 or r e d x would like this very much :glare:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
1. You aint even gonna place in the money, so nothing for you to worry about there champ =)
You must be paying out top 1 or something. With Dabuz and San being the only big names, I could probably get 2nd assuming Dabuz comes (maybe even 1st but I doubt it) and I suppose San COULD pull an upset and take me out but I doubt it.

So I'd say I'm getting 3rd at worst. Unless I'm being misinformed about these 'big names'.

this is his one chance to learn the Ike matchup and to have his eyes opened as to why sonic and ike are actually good characters.
When did I say Ike was a bad character? I had him at 18th-23rd on my tier list, and he's 24th on the current one XD
And..uh..Sonic? No offense, but I think Meek > you.
And if I can beat him on YI:B then....yeah....

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I dont know, i think you might be surprised by our old heads and no names.

Also, i had a winning record on snakeee when he was coming to our tournaments.
See? I can pull up barely relavent stuff that doesnt matter too.

:phone:

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
the other day i was fighting a sonic main in friendlies and it took me all of 5 minutes before i realized "WAIT A SECOND WE'RE ON YI:B"

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
You must be paying out top 1 or something. With Dabuz and San being the only big names, I could probably get 2nd assuming Dabuz comes (maybe even 1st but I doubt it) and I suppose San COULD pull an upset and take me out but I doubt it.

So I'd say I'm getting 3rd at worst. Unless I'm being misinformed about these 'big names'.
You're very cocky. :/ You beating San I would consider the upset not the other way around. Isn't your best win Will when he was drunk apparently?

Edit: Just got off of work for this day! >:3 Me, and Dabuz are confirmed. LuigiSama and Luxord are probably 90% since i need to confirm with them. Ill try to get 1 more if Jash doesnt wanna go with me. Ill ask Will today :3

This will be my first time leaving the NY/NJ region xD

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I've beaten Zinoto and MJG. I destroyed Will in our MM (he was high) and in friendlies the day before we were going even. Ask him yourself, I'm no slouch.
I also outplaced San at IMPULSE and was going even with him in friendlies at that (I think he was winning them slightly actually)
Also goggles there's a difference between you beating Snakeee back when he attended tournaments and me beating Meek's Sonic on YI:B...that happened in July 2012 XD

I mean imo I'm better than San, and if the only big names are him and Dabuz (Dabuz will almost definitely beat me at this lol, he 6-0'd me at IMPULSE, 3-0 in bracket and in MM) then I really don't think I'll be losing to anyone else. I'm not saying I'm definitely gonna beat San, it's just how I feel.

I'm also not really one that people can cause upsets over. I haven't gotten worse than 9th since Sept 2011, with the sole exception of getting 17th at Revival of Salt (Feb 2012), an MK-legal regional when like 80% of the experience I had at the time was at MK banned tournies. And yes, I only lost to MKs.

And since then I haven't gotten worse than 5th at anything. No exceptions.

Call me cocky if you want, I really don't care. I've always been open to the possibility that someone could cause an upset by beating me and I place worse than expected, and it's only happened at 1 tournament in my life. I think that (assuming the only American big names at this are Dabuz and San) I'm more likely to get 2nd at this than 3rd. Me beating San or vice versa wouldn't be an upset; neither of us is significantly better than the other. If you think me beating him is an upset, it sounds like you don't know enough about me, which tends to happen to Canadians that aren't Ally/Holy.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
I dont think I recall seeing you beat Zinoto where was this at? MJG is a good win though. And please dont talk to me about friendlies. x_x Tbh, I didnt think either of you beating each other was an upset, but you said it was if he beat you so I chose a side as well. Dabuz seems to be the only top/high level player at this every placing after that can be anything imo.

Also, I know enough about most regions because I actually like to keep track of stuff. I do forget some stuff from time to time though

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I beat both Zinoto and MJG at IMPULSE (July 1st 2012).
Oh oops, I called it an upset. Lawl. Direct contradiction XD
I think I was in trash talk mode for a second. But no genuinely I don't think it would be an upset either way.

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I'm taking 4th.

V pls come to this I don't wanna go alone that's boring :c

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
if you really think that yoshi island makes my character better because of an obnoxious and easily avoidable gimmick, I really have to question what Meek has been teaching you.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Well it's widely regarded as his best stage AFAIK, it's not something that Meek taught me. But I think you're oversimplifying it by calling it an easily avoidable gimmick.

ZSS has options against it (it still works well against her, just not even close to as well as against most other characters) because of her mobility and burst range options. But seriously it's a good, reliable option when done properly.
I teamed with Will at SiD8 and we were facing Joe and Meek on YI:B and after Joe and I died, it boiled down to a 1v1 with Will vs Meek and Meek had the lead. Meek began to abuse it and I told Will something along the lines of "relax dude. Just PS and punish it, it isn't really that good" After like 2 minutes of Will chasing him around and going for silly reads, Will was insisting "no seriously dude, I literally can't do anything. This is so stupid."

He got like 1 or 2 shieldgrab reads and I think 1 downB, but that's it. The risk:reward on it is very good, and Sonic is definitely a lot better on that stage than on many others. If you think it's an easily avoidable gimmick, I'd like to see your explanation on how to beat it inconsistently and reliably. Because considering your lack of recent results (I've literally never heard of any tournaments you've attended outside of apparently beating ESAM at one of the MLGs, and Pound V), can you really blame me for considering the possibility that your view on this is due to you not really knowing how to abuse it to its fullest potential?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
there was a point in time where sonic was widely considered the 5th worst character in the game too. majority isnt always right.

honestly, for ZSS, im 90% sure you can just hold the A button and beat it (by beat it, i mean clank with it and then jab again to punish since yours is 1 frame). snake can do that.

Will is impatient and hes ALWAYS had problems fighting sonic. Doesnt help that sonic beat DK outright, but its always been a matchup that he (along with most people) have a large mental issue with. Which, to be honest, is kind of by design, because I was one of the ones back in 08-09 telling people that they have to piss people off and be annoying to win with sonic because his options arent good. I was actually the biggest advocate of spreading MISINFORMATION about the character so that everyone would auto ban YI, and do other goofy things and we could get to counterpick the actual stages we want to fight people on lol.

the biggest problem is that its predictable, and I cant think of a good, predictable move in this game, outside of maybe tornado. anything that gets predicted gets punished with the mechanics of this game. Added to the fact that if he turns or jumps the spindash, he loses the invincibility, so if you just run away and avoid it, it because nothing more than a really solid way to stall for time. since theres next to no way to attack with it if the other person knows its properties. Which in all fairness, cant be assumed since nobody wants to fight sonic and thus nobody wants to understand the character mechanics to beat simple stuff like that.

they layout of the stage hurts him more than the iSdr helps him, if the other guy actually knows what the hell is going on.

the reason you dont know me is because I stopped traveling for smash when marvel 3 came out and even when i did I didnt have the means to go all over the place all the time. but dont get it twisted, I know more about my character than anybody.

I know whats beatable with and against my character because i taught the people I play with everything about him.

Its the same reason that the only reason most people know me now is because of that thing with Esam. the guy I played smash with for the last 6-7 years mains pikachu, so everyone that played with us back then knows those matchups backwards, forwards and inside out.

pidgezero_one

Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Clearly you guys should settle this in person. :awesome:

DLeet

Smash Rookie
Anyone remember me? I'm bringing dat good lucas and sheik back. And I'm thinking you guys should be scared. Going to take it by storm.

Sharky

Smash Master
I'm confident there will be at LEAST 30 entrants. The last local to be hosted in the area was during the summer, at a newly opened video game store. It had around 34 entrants, all in-town. The TO is familiar with the owner of the store that ran this tourney, so I'm sure he'll be able to get the word out to many of the same people.

Top Bottom