• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dumb idea...?

Charisma

Smash Rookie
Is maining mario a dumb idea? just curious about what you guys thought about your character.

Obviously MK has a HUGE advantage, snake too, but still its mario!

Cant really do much in tournamants :\ i saw some good marios at Hobo but they dont get anywere because of the stupid MK's D:

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
MK isn't impossible to beat with Mario, MK is just hard in general. You can do well in tournies with Mario just be prepared for Mario's 2 hardest match-ups, a.k.a. MK and DDD. Even high tier characters have trouble against MK, you shouldn't give up on maining Mario just because MK is hard match-up for Mario. As for DDD, think IC but with better grab range.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No. Don't main Mario unless you're prepared for anguish. There is no logical reason for any of us to main him. We're just psycho like that XD

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Wait. MK is a hard matchup for Mario? Am I the only one who doesn't have trouble with MK at all?

XKarasuX

Smash Rookie
Mario Ftw he is fing awesome one of the best gimpers with his cape and Fludd lol just look at fears mario
btw mario combos quite well! ;) i second him

XKarasuX

Smash Rookie
Just type in life of a plumber on (you tube) for his Combo vids if u don't know who he is personally i think u should if u plan on maining mario good luck if u do main him!

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Cape and FLUDD destroy Meta-Knight moreso than most people. Proper use of FIHL is ****.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Cape and FLUDD destroy Meta-Knight moreso than most people. Proper use of FIHL is ****.
I knew the cape and fireballs worked on MK but I've never had much luck with the FLUDD, I'll have to try it some more. Also, are any of his aerials affected by FIHL?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I'm not sure about that, but using the FLUDD in air throws off his edgeguarding game pretty badly. If you push him below you, I normally fast fall Dair to get in some quick damage.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
I'm not sure about that, but using the FLUDD in air throws off his edgeguarding game pretty badly. If you push him below you, I normally fast fall Dair to get in some quick damage.
How about on stage? I myself stick to Dairs, fireballs, the cape, jabs, Ftilts, and the occasional Up B.

BlueJx23

Smash Cadet
there were other Marios at HOBO? was it HOBO 11? darn, i thought i was the only one other than Stiltz (who only used Mario as a secondary in friendlies to my knowledge). oh well. for your information i did not get eliminated simply due to facing MKs. both Infinity and Lee Harris are good players who i can admit have more skill and experience than me. sure MK is a difficult matchup, but he's not brokenly impossible imo.

one of the main problems i have with MK is offstage. i can't edgeguard him, but his dair gimps the hell out of me (since it can even out-prioritize my upB). but if what everyone is saying about FLUDD messing with his edgeguarding game is true, i should have much less trouble with MK in general.

as for maining Mario, i've never had more fun maining a character... ever.:)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To main Mario, you basically have to accept that he'll never be above average and that, in most scenarios, you'll have to work harder than your opponent to win. Like other people have said, unless you're really dedicated, pick up someone to deal with King Dedede, Mr. Game and Watch, and Metaknight.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Yarr, Mario is pretty fun.

Ahh... I remember 6 years ago when I pretended Mario's cape could make him fly in Melee. If I was younger, I would use that fludd in a similar fashion.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I swear every post you make is dumber than the last -_-
-_-

Mario is a fun character to play as in Brawl. Don't be deceived, he's a fun aerial fighter. And his B moves are all useful. Mario is A OK.

Happy? Vato?

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunatly. Against Rob, D3, Snake, Pikachu, Lucario, Wario, Game an Watch, MetaKnight, Pit even, ect ect. The battle is not in your favor using Mario. Hope that you are more knowledgable in the rock, paper, scissors character matchup then he is against your Mario.

You'l have a long hard road ahead of you with Mario on quite a few matchups.. Main multiple characters if anything. Mario's a very decent main to have at your disposal. But using him a 100% all the time, every time main,. It could be done but **** flawless effort will be needed lol. Keep practicing your hard matchups. Good luck, take your time, and have fun with it.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Unfortunatly. Against Rob, D3, Snake, Pikachu, Lucario, Wario, Game an Watch, MetaKnight, Pit even, ect ect. The battle is not in your favor using Mario. Hope that you are more knowledgable in the rock, paper, scissors character matchup then he is against your Mario.

You'l have a long hard road ahead of you with Mario on quite a few matchups.. Main multiple characters if anything. Mario's a very decent main to have at your disposal. But using him a 100% all the time, every time main,. It could be done but **** flawless effort will be needed lol. Keep practicing your hard matchups. Good luck, take your time, and have fun with it.
A lot of those match-ups that you listed are considered even lol. Anyway, the thing with Mario is that he has a little bit of everything to deal with anything, at least that's the ideal.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
To main Mario, you basically have to accept that he'll never be above average and that, in most scenarios, you'll have to work harder than your opponent to win.
^This.

Mario is a character with no easy exploits. You have to use all his abilities to win each match, and you have to understand all his techniques. Most of all however, you have to be smart and think during the match. This is mostly what drives players away from Mario because there is no "simple task" for Mario (although we Mario mains are so experienced we can call them simple tasks ;) ).

Mario is the character that shows the true skills of the player behind him.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
A lot of those match-ups that you listed are considered even lol. Anyway, the thing with Mario is that he has a little bit of everything to deal with anything, at least that's the ideal.
I don't really follow into all that matchup even stuff other then it being opinionated toward the smashboard actives. A good, dedicated Captain Falcon player could give a decent Mario main slight trouble. Point is, that's how it is. Brawl's a shallow game.

Mario's greatest asset is balance, everythings average. Which is also his greatest flaw. Other characters have at least something they excel in. A good Pit, Pikachu, Wario, Lucario even. Abusing his long roll will present a huge problem for Mario.

All you can do is play your best. And understand the character your opposition chose..

The Pink Mist

Smash Rookie
The way i look at this is mario is the perfect charecter to use as a secondary and heres why. I believe as a main he is a tad to limited and people that are used quite often are the ones that have a huge advantage over him. I feel he has the right stuff and air attacks that allow him to be a very good secondary, but as a main I dont feel he is up to par with many others.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

Mario has the advantage on Rob, Pikachu, and Pit in my opinion. He's also even with Lucario.

Snake barely has an advantage, seeing as all of his moves can easily be caped and the fireball can take down his down-smash mine.

D3, Wario, and especially Game and Watch are disadvantaged match-ups, though.

Matt07

Smash Master
His Bite is so dumb, and his fsmash super armour frames drive me nuts.

I usually like to use more fireballs againt Wario's, I have trouble approaching him.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
F-Smash and U-Smash.

All you really gotta do is space yourself and be defensive.
Don't you mean Stutter Fsmash (angled Up)

? And NO UPSMASH. That move is quite weak.

If your lucky you can grab release Fsmash him (angled up_... Only if you grab him while he's feet are dangling. EX: Lylat cruise, Corneria e.c.t.

Matt07

Smash Master
True, but it's like hmm...if I can't hit with fsmash, I use my usmash, then dsmash for K.O's (I usually keep all my smash fresh.) If I still can't get a K.O then b-air.

Top Bottom