• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DSmash Sweet Spot

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
Ok so I don't know if this is technically a sweet spot or not, but thats what I refer to it as.

It's possible for the dmash to do 22 damage, hitting for both 12 damage in the front and 10 damage in the back.

It seems you can position yourself for this by facing AWAY from them, but having them as close to behind you as possible.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Theoretically it would be easiest after move decay.
It happens all the time, but i think it's impractical to do this on purpose.
Godly good players could time the Dsmashes they use against rollers to doublespot though, charging it a little longer than necessary i guess.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
As far as I'm aware, this usually happens by accident, especially against heavier characters. It does better damage, but there's also a downside: sometimes it causes enemy to fly into different direction than you intented (towards the middle of the stage instead of out of it), but it's very hard to ably it intentionally to your game.

Facet

Smash Cadet
I think for most players, including myself, this usually happens by accident. It happens most often to heavies at low %, but Im not sure if theres a specific spacing that makes it work better. Testing would be appreciated.

Aeyr

Smash Apprentice
I tend to do this more when my friend happens to "roll over me" more often against his olimar o.O. Only thing I don't like is that he usually doesn't get knocked back as far as I'd like him to.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
I think for most players, including myself, this usually happens by accident. It happens most often to heavies at low %, but Im not sure if theres a specific spacing that makes it work better. Testing would be appreciated.
Having it happen by accident is how I first noticed it, but would you be ok with saying "lightening kicks just happen sometimes" haha.

Anyway, I looked and I can confirm the front part of her dsmash begins with a spark slightly behind her, so this is the key to hitting twice.

Have them positioned extremely close behind you, and it hits with the front and then the back for a total of 22 damage. This actually seems easier to sweet spot than fair, and after playing with it some I have a couple of scenario's where I can reliably set it up now.

Also the weight of the character seems irrelevant.

Slayers8anFTW

Smash Rookie
Spacing is key for this just like the majority of moves in Brawl. I play a very defensive Zelda, and anytime an opponent rolls or maneuvers themselves in any way so close to me that an fsmash could easily be DIed out of, and I don't want to decay my usmash, the dsmash is what I used, and about 25% of the time it'll double hit, and the other 75% it sends them a decent distance away. I've never tested it to see if I could force the double hit, but I pretty much just see what happens and react accordingly, just like preparing for an ukemi situation.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
If they are behind the hitbox of the front kick of Dsmash, they will get sent inwards, which result in them getting comboed into the back kick. That's all there is to it, and it happened in Melee as well. If they are practically on top of you when you Dsmash, the chances of this happening are high.

sFoster

Smash Journeyman
If they are behind the hitbox of the front kick of Dsmash, they will get sent inwards, which result in them getting comboed into the back kick. That's all there is to it, and it happened in Melee as well. If they are practically on top of you when you Dsmash, the chances of this happening are high.
Indeed.. but you can account for this on your own as well.
For example, rolling into them and then doing a dsmash.

If you space your roll correctly, you will double hit on the dmash..
Just little things like that to help rack up the extra damage. I found it useful.

Top Bottom