Dropping in for a fight - DeMille for Smash!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm not trying to be overly optimistic, but just because the company is going bankrupt doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be gone for good. Lots of companies have gone bankrupt, but have come back as if nothing happened. I do hope Nintendo at least helps the employees find work, though.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Wow, this does suck. Even beyond Tomato Adventure, the Mario and Luigi games are always tons of fun. They've been making stuff for 20 years, and the only thing they ever made for a non-Nintendo platform was that Gonjiro mobile game... and that released just this year! It's seriously weird to look at; they made 14 games over the years, and a whopping 10 of them were published by Nintendo. It's really surprising that a company with such a long history with a company as huge as Nintendo ended up in this situation.

I really hope Nintendo buys the company or something. I remember that back when Hudson Soft went out of business, many members of its staff moved to Nintendo's NDcube. Maybe something similar could happen here?

I've seen some people saying that Nintendo got the rights to Mario and Luigi. If that's the case, then I'm guessing they also got the rights to Tomato Adventure (since, as far as I know, they both owned it before now). So hey, who knows? Maybe Nintendo will do something with it sometime down the line!

Whether they get saved somehow, or its staff get moved somewhere, I really hope this isn't the end for AlphaDream. They've made a ton of great games over the years, and it would really suck to have them gone for good.

It's still kind of hard to believe, though. I checked their website just a day or two ago to see if they'd posted any updates, and now the site is completely offline.

https://twitter.com/JackControllers/status/1179453947700011008?s=19

Guys, it's not fully over just yet. They still have a flicker of hope.
That Tweet seems to be deleted, but a glance at that user's page makes me think it was linking to this article on their site? Seems like AlphaDream was helping another company with an unspecified Switch game that is already announced, but it had not yet been announced that they were helping out with it. Unless Nintendo saves the day, it doesn't look like whatever they had planned themselves is coming.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, I'm not trying to be overly optimistic, but just because the company is going bankrupt doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be gone for good. Lots of companies have gone bankrupt, but have come back as if nothing happened. I do hope Nintendo at least helps the employees find work, though.
Yeah, that's pretty much my hope as well.

https://twitter.com/JackControllers/status/1179453947700011008?s=19

Guys, it's not fully over just yet. They still have a flicker of hope.
Uh... I can't see the tweet. Well, to be more specific... It says 'Nothing is found here'.

Apparently there’s a new Switch game in development that hasn’t been publicly announced yet.

PLEASE let it be that Tomato Adventure—looking one!

…Okay, moving on from this whole debacle; can you add Parathan’s Somg/Season with Amazing Organ to the song list?

Last edited:
Apparently there’s a new Switch game in development that hasn’t been publicly announced yet.

…Okay, moving on from this whole debacle; can you add Parathan’s Somg/Season with Amazing Organ to the song list?
Wait, so the game they were making is still gonna be released? ...How?

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman

I hate to point this out since I'd love for you to be right, but it says, "It’s an announced game but their involvement isn’t yet public." It's a game we already know about, AlphaDream assisting with it is the thing that's not announced, unfortunately. Whatever they were working on alone likely won't see the light of day unless someone like Nintendo swoops in to help them. (That said, if I'm right in thinking that Nintendo owns the rights to Tomato Adventure, then it's possible that they could do something with the IP sometime!)

...And sure, it's been added! :) That would make a lot of sense as a song addition if DeMille got in - Pasaran's Song is a recurring theme throughout the game, and this is the most fitting version for a fight. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:

Sari

Smash Champion
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Just popping in to say sorry for your loss. I felt the same way when TellTale Games shutdown last year and the final season of TWDG was supposedly done for. Thankfully another company was able to pick it up so the game was able to be finished. Here's hoping something similar happens with AlphaDream and the rest of their projects.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Just popping in to say sorry for your loss. I felt the same way when TellTale Games shutdown last year and the final season of TWDG was supposedly done for. Thankfully another company was able to pick it up so the game was able to be finished. Here's hoping something similar happens with AlphaDream and the rest of their projects.
Thanks for popping by! Here's hoping something happens for them! :)

Hypothetical question; if Tomato Adventure ever was remade, would you guys want Yoko Shimomura to do the OST?
Sounds good to me! She's done all of the Mario and Luigi games, so she'd know the style of their games well. Tomato Adventure's original composer was Yoko Sakai, who, as far as I can tell, hasn't been the composer for anything since. Makes me wonder if it's maybe a pseudonym? They've both got the same first name!

Demarlion

Smash Cadet
"The thing that was UP in the past was raised again.
Since it is a hobby, it has nothing to do with the actual work.

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to those who loved the work.
I'm sorry for those who looked forward to 2 because they couldn't produce it."

Tomato Adventure 2 was in the works...but got cancelled due to the bankruptcy
No offense, but there’s no need to triple post. You can edit your current post if need be.

That being said…darn it. The one chance Tomato Adventure had to regain relevance, of course the company who mad equate had to go bankrupt.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I found something, but the description is saddening

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/77102913
"The thing that was UP in the past was raised again.
Since it is a hobby, it has nothing to do with the actual work.

I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to those who loved the work.
I'm sorry for those who looked forward to 2 because they couldn't produce it."
Tomato Adventure 2 was in the works...but got cancelled due to the bankruptcy
NOOO!!! Come on, are you serious?! Ugh... I'd say DeMille's last hope was being playable in Smash, but I don't know if even THAT will help now...

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
I'm not 100% sure what to think here. The description of that post suggests that the art was done as a hobby, and wasn't related to any real project. Then, looking through the pieces, one of them says "Tomato Adventure Anthology Illus. 2010", and another says "2011 7.25". That seems to suggest that they're fan art from over the years.

On the other hand, I don't know that fan art would require character design pages like the one Aresa has there, and the first piece is undeniably the one that was on AlphaDream's site before it closed. Is it possible that this person worked there, but was just pitching ideas?

Out of curiosity, how did you find this, Demarlion Demarlion ? I took a glance at the artist's page, and nothing else seems to be related to AlphaDream at all.

(Also, whatever the case, that first piece is super cool! :) )

Last edited:

Demarlion

Smash Cadet
I'm not 100% sure what to think here. The description of that post suggests that the art was done as a hobby, and wasn't related to any real project. Then, looking through the pieces, one of them says "Tomato Adventure Anthology Illus. 2010", and another says "2011 7.25". That seems to suggest that they're fan art from over the years.

On the other hand, I don't know that fan art would require character design pages like the one Aresa has there, and the first piece is undeniably the one that was on AlphaDream's site before it closed. Is it possible that this person worked there, but was just pitching ideas?

Out of curiosity, how did you find this, Demarlion Demarlion ? I took a glance at the artist's page, and nothing else seems to be related to AlphaDream at all.

(Also, whatever the case, that first piece is super cool! :) )
A friend on DeviantArt shared it to me.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
A friend on DeviantArt shared it to me.
Neat! I was curious if you knew who the artist was. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! Maybe a former AlphaDream employee will mention it in an interview sometime.

By the way, anyone got a list of all the items in the game?
This FAQ seems to have a list of them! I don't think they're missing any, but I also don't remember them all by heart, haha. ;)

Check out DeMille for Smash! (@DeMilleForSmash): https://twitter.com/DeMilleForSmash?s=09
Wow, nice! Good luck running it!

I just got a DeMille spirit and instantly thought of this thread. :)
Thanks for dropping by! It's been a while!