• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drop a Tip! (better your fellow smashers)

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Hi there, I'm cr4sh. I just thought this was a good idea for a thread so I'm trying to get it started. But to the point, everyone has a few things they know that maybe not many people do. And many of us see our opponents consistently make the same mistake, and think "man, why doesn't everyone know that?"

So here you go. If you have a general tip on how to play the game better please post it! If you know a valueable nugget of information or just want to post. If this is lame let it die, but if you think its a good idea, Drop a Tip!

doctortommy

Smash Cadet
b-up is for recovery.

Sorry to ruin the thread....
i actually think this is a good idea, but I'm too noob to know anything too great.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
attack with A and B and play smart and efficiently. smash attacks kill and Dair gimps / spikes ^_^

if ur not playing as marth press the WIN button

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Don't attack shields unless it's an absolutely safe option, and shield when your opponent is obviously about to attack.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
come on y'all, say something relevant. Olimar's whistle has super armor. BEWARE!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Counterpick Snake's Place when Facing a Meta Knight, MK is horrible at off-the top KOs.....
just make sure you dont break the sides, or else.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
When playing as Snake, mix up your tilts a lot. Double jab to knee to utilt can cause havoc.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
My entry from the "Where To Start" thread.
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4608080&postcount=14

[More advice]

1. Smash-DI is your friend. Use it. A lot. It's pretty hard to miss it in Brawl.

2. Keep at least two of your kill moves "fresh" near the high %s - move decay is big in Brawl. Leaving only one "fresh" kill move also makes you predictable, since you only have one way to finish your opponent.

3. Only use an Air Dodge if you know you won't get hit as it ends/begins. Yes, you can use multiple air dodges per jump, but the first and last few frames of the animation are not invincibility frames. In other words, you're completely vulnerable for two small periods during each air dodge, so be careful.

4. Use every move. Tilts, jabs, aerials, specials, grabs, dash attacks...everything. Variety is the spice of Brawl, especially with the high move decay. Every move has it's place.

5. That said, don't use every move ALL THE TIME. Exercise your moveset responsibly. There exists a situation for each move where it is most useful. Remember which move matches each situation and use them accordingly.

6. No Johns. If you're losing, don't whine or foam at the mouth - analyze your play and your opponent's play to figure out what's making you lose. Either your opponent is doing something right or you're doing something wrong. Adjust according to your findings. Experiment with new techniques. If complaining helps you concentrate, then so be it. When you find yourself falling into predictable patterns because you're too mad to concentrate, that's when you should put down the controller and try again later.

7. Spacing = important. If you're out of your opponent's range, you can't get hit. Many people overlook this and just charge in. Be careful with your spacing.

8. Don't take the first opportunity you see - take the first SAFE opportunity you see. Just because Ganon is charging his U-tilt doesn't mean you can get a free hit. Your opponent may bait you with what looks like an opening and punish you when you fall in the trap.

9. Know your timings, from move lengths and lag times to character movement speeds. Also know your hitboxes, from sizes to locations to durations. Even an intuitive feel for these things will greatly help you in split-second decision making. Numerical awareness is best, but not always required.

10. Apply thy knowledge. Don't read advice and say "heh, I already know that." Think about the advice you've read consciously while you play - you'll see new things you didn't before. Read different bits of advice before each match. Call your attention to different aspects of the game in different matches - for example, play a game in which you just work on your spacing. Targeted practice does wonders.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
great! it kinda caught on! anyway thanks!

I just got back from a brawl tournament, and here's my tip. Don't play the tournament winner in the first round. Or if you do, bring a gameboy :dizzy:.

also i love this one

Counterpick Snake's Place when Facing a Meta Knight, MK is horrible at off-the top KOs.....
just make sure you dont break the sides, or else.

I certainly will.

Oathblivion

Smash Apprentice
In most cases, edgehogging is "so seven years ago." Due to Brawl's floatiness, almost anyone can chase their opponent off the stage for a KO, rather than waiting for them to get back to the ledge. There are exceptions though. Knowing one's main inside and out has already been covered.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Don't attack shields unless it's an absolutely safe option, and shield when your opponent is obviously about to attack.
And to add to that, shield dropping is more effective than you can possibly imagine. Every time I see someone complain that you can't punish Snake for doing the F-tilt, I want to reach through the internet and slap them. Block the F-tilt, drop your shield immediately, and punch Snake in the face.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
And to add to that, shield dropping is more effective than you can possibly imagine. Every time I see someone complain that you can't punish Snake for doing the F-tilt, I want to reach through the internet and slap them. Block the F-tilt, drop your shield immediately, and punch Snake in the face.
The problem is, without wavedash, there are less movement options out of shield. You have to either shield drop or jump out of shield and attack. This makes powershielding even more important in Brawl.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
Did you know that eating Wario's bike will not only make you run faster but it will double your attack strength!??!

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Don't be a scrub. No one cares if you think certain characters or moves are broken. They will simply proceed to use those weapons to own you.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
Don't commit to attacks if the opportunity goes away...nothing is easier to punish than a fair being used after you move to the side. In addition, if you plan to attack, and you see a shield, don't attack (unless the very, very unlikely occurrence happens that the attack will break the shield) because you will just be setting yourself up for a shield grab.

Grab snake's cypher from the edge if the chance arises and DON'T ATTACK. It is either a dead snake or at the very least a snake that must use down B to regain his upB again.

Don't whine or complain about moves...not only will people grow to hate you, but it also keeps you from learning ways around the moves, aka, don't be a scrub.

Learn a second character to use as a counterpick...you don't want to only know how to main DK and then get put up against a DDD user.

And just because I'm a Kirby main, don't forget about the pain that the aerial hammer can bring...in lamest terms, Fear The Second Swing!!!

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
The best advice I think I can give is not to trust the match up chart too much. Just because your up against Captain Falcon, doesn't mean you can relax because your character has an advantage, an insane Falcon player could still **** your face. Basically never assume you have won because of a so called "good matchup."

P.S. I fear the second swing.

pKNeM

Smash Cadet
For anyone new, learn to tilt. Far to often I see people spamming smashes both decaying their kill moves most of the time and forgetting many great attacks in the process. Also, learn powershielding and if your main does not have a projectile, which attacks can cancel out them.

Top Bottom