• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dreamland Only Apex Discussion

Shears

Smash Master
this is weird tho :4shulk:
What the hell is that thing? I don't recognize it from 64. Stop spamming our threads with your nonsense and derailing thread topics into melee discussions and asking people to go check out your own threads. Please, somebody, for the love of god, permaban this guy.

FalconOwnage

Smash Apprentice
What the hell is that thing? I've never heard of Smash4.
Back on topic then.
Dreamland should not be the only competitive stage. The other stages have stage hazards, but they are predictable and avoidable.

(sorry for the off topic stuff, @ Shears Shears , I thought we were joking around at first)

Shears

Smash Master
The current ruleset used at large tournaments includes other stages as counter picks. For the most part, the hazards are predictable but ideally we want to minimize them and thats the point of moving to DL only. In addition, these additional hazards make some characters worse and others better and are unnecessarily forcing a game 3.

When it comes to melee, that is never a joke around here. We are here because we don't like melee, if we did we would be in the melee boards.

FalconOwnage

Smash Apprentice
When it comes to melee, that is never a joke around here. We are here because we don't like melee, if we did we would be in the melee boards.
Is there a main reason why 64 players don't like melee, besides the reduced hitstun?

Also, Dreamland only could be possible, but that would be like saying in Melee you can only have Battlefield only. FD is unbalanced and favors chaingrabs, Fountain has moving platforms, Stadium has wall infinites, Dreamland has wind, and Yoshi's has Randall. This post is not off topic. I'm not salty, just wondering about why you guys disregard Melee. I like Melee, but I also like Smash64. They are both great games.

Last edited:

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
Psychological nerfing is a real thing. Its like superstition, it doesn't actually possess anything that makes it better but it gives the person reassurance and helps them feel comfortable. I would lose my focus if I wasn't blue hat pika because I would have to continually remind myself that I was ugly green hat instead of focusing on the match at hand. Same can happen for people that prefer dark samus or black falcon.
Man you need to read this book http://www.amazon.ca/The-Inner-Game-Tennis-Performance/dp/0679778314
I feel like if you practiced with all pika hats or focused on other things during practice, this example of psychological nerfing wouldnt exist for you anymore
cheers

edit: you all should read this book. it's about overcoming mental lapses during high pressure situations in any competitive setting

Last edited:

mixa

Banned via Warnings
doctor pp also recommended that book

doctor pp also had to stop going to tournies for a while cause of psychological issues
and also stated that he himself was the biggest challenge when playing

better not read anything and drink beer like mango

T Brett

Smash Journeyman

doctor pp also had to stop going to tournies for a while cause of psychological issues

I'm not surprised that he recommended that book, it's pretty popular actually. An old foosball pro from Vancouver lent me his copy with the idea that I need to practice with the intention of putting myself in pressured situations to replicate in game situations. For example to hit 20 long pull shots in a row and not stopping until I do 20 consecutively. You'd be amazed how high pressure this can be when you're sitting at 18 in a row and you don't wanna **** up the last two.
This totally applies to smash and tennis and every thing really. Go read it!

Shears

Smash Master
Probably a great book to read, and you have me considering to read it. But, why should everyone go buy and read a book when we can just get rid of congo?

T Brett

Smash Journeyman
Probably a great book to read, and you have me considering to read it. But, why should everyone go buy and read a book when we can just get rid of congo?
you just mentioned psychological stuff affecting gameplay and I was like woah dude I got you.
But yeah **** Congo tbh

mixa

Banned via Warnings
digital books have hotlinks. how great is that

and yeah I read a bit of the tennis book, but I stopped playing so I stopped reading it

UNKN{OWN}iXi

Smash Journeyman

A positive attitude and strong mentality go a long way when playing Smash, especially if you have goals you want to accomplish through competitive play.

Z-Rex

Smash Cadet
Is there a compelling reason not to have modded/hazardless stages (GS or modded ROM) for tourneys?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm relatively new to the SB64 online community.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Is there a compelling reason not to have modded/hazardless stages (GS or modded ROM) for tourneys?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm relatively new to the SB64 online community.
I don't want to have them because not everyone who enters tournaments knows its possible to play on them or has the desire to buy a gameshark to play on them. I don't think its fair to force people to buy a GS or play online to be able to practice on these stages.

Top Bottom