• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dragonfang Arsenal - The Corrin AT Compilation Thread

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
You might also want to add the 4 different variants DFS can do...
No Charge, Small Bite
No Charge, Big Bite
Full Charge, Small Bite
Full Charge, Big Bite

Also, i'm going to be covering the most useful tech in a video next week...
I'll add some abbreviations to the abbreviations page.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Which characters it's true on ecs.
That's easy - Nobody.

Anyone with a faster option than us will win. Everyone else can shield or roll.

This is a mixup at best guys, it's not competitively viable, it only works against people that are unknowledgable about GRIP which is really only the people that don't actually play competitively.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
That's easy - Nobody.

Anyone with a faster option than us will win. Everyone else can shield or roll.

This is a mixup at best guys, it's not competitively viable, it only works against people that are unknowledgable about GRIP which is really only the people that don't actually play competitively.
I was told by someone (don't remember who) that it was true on a very select few characters. If I'm wrong I guess I know why :\

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I was told by someone (don't remember who) that it was true on a very select few characters. If I'm wrong I guess I know why :\
I'm down for being wrong, but I'll be really surprised if this is somehow unique for Corrin compared to the rest of the cast, every character board has toyed with GRIP and found the same thing at some point or another.

YGK

Smash Cadet
I found some interesting recovery options with the lance on battlefield, and I don't mean pinning the platforms.

Go beneath the stage, and get as close to the underside of the stage as you can, then lance into the stage. You are only able to pin the stage if you are very close to it.
Once you've pinned the stage, a few things can happen:
  • You may snap the ledge immediately. (Being in a certain position near the ledge seems to cancel the pin animation)
  • You might hang just below the ledge until you make an input, then instantly snap the ledge as soon as you leave the pin animation.
  • Pin may cancel right away and you will just be in free-fall.
  • You can pin the stage such that jumping out of the pin will cause you to hit the stage like a ceiling.
This is by no means an exhaustive list, there's really an amazing number of interactions between the pin mechanic and under-stage geometry, and the behavior changes a lot between stage (FD has some fun tricks as well, but battlefield seems to have the most interesting reactions because the geometry around the ledges is so different). It's hard to say for sure if of these interactions will actually be useful, but it seems likely that at least of few will be reasonable recovery mixups, or good ways to get back to the ledge after teching against the stage.

I'm not equipped to take screenshots or videos, so hopefully someone else can get examples of some of the interactions up to better illustrate the various interactions.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
I found some interesting recovery options with the lance on battlefield, and I don't mean pinning the platforms.

Go beneath the stage, and get as close to the underside of the stage as you can, then lance into the stage. You are only able to pin the stage if you are very close to it.
Once you've pinned the stage, a few things can happen:
  • You may snap the ledge immediately. (Being in a certain position near the ledge seems to cancel the pin animation)
  • You might hang just below the ledge until you make an input, then instantly snap the ledge as soon as you leave the pin animation.
  • Pin may cancel right away and you will just be in free-fall.
  • You can pin the stage such that jumping out of the pin will cause you to hit the stage like a ceiling.
This is by no means an exhaustive list, there's really an amazing number of interactions between the pin mechanic and under-stage geometry, and the behavior changes a lot between stage (FD has some fun tricks as well, but battlefield seems to have the most interesting reactions because the geometry around the ledges is so different). It's hard to say for sure if of these interactions will actually be useful, but it seems likely that at least of few will be reasonable recovery mixups, or good ways to get back to the ledge after teching against the stage.

I'm not equipped to take screenshots or videos, so hopefully someone else can get examples of some of the interactions up to better illustrate the various interactions.
I've been considering this.

There are some particularly interesting oddities that can occur when pinning platforms and ledges that interact with other platforms and ledges too. It's worth toying around with stages that have rising/falling stage transformations for possibilities, I suspect that there are some possible bugs left in this mechanic. Unfortunately the competitive use of the oddities that might be discovered is pretty low these days with all those stages banned at most events. Duck Hunt is the only common legal stage with a rising/falling platform now, but it doesn't have a pass-through.

Notshane

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if someone already mentioned it, but I was too lazy to read all of this and I just wanted to say: has anyone realized the potential in the Dragon Fang Shot? Sure, you can hold it and then let go of the big bite to exit quickly, but have you ever tried tapping the special button twice and holding at the second press? If your foe has high damage, the little stun can be enough time for you to either fully charge or half charge the bite into a quick kill.

I have used it a few times and it is very potent.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I'm not sure if someone already mentioned it, but I was too lazy to read all of this and I just wanted to say: has anyone realized the potential in the Dragon Fang Shot? Sure, you can hold it and then let go of the big bite to exit quickly, but have you ever tried tapping the special button twice and holding at the second press? If your foe has high damage, the little stun can be enough time for you to either fully charge or half charge the bite into a quick kill.

I have used it a few times and it is very potent.
The uncharged shot will always true combo into a fully charged bite, no matter the %

That said, I also use it quite often. It's a nice close-range kill option that can be B-Reversed and comes out rather quickly.

Gecko Moria

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3179-6596-3895
So I'm pretty sure i just did the c-bounce tech without a c-stick on for glory. I forgot to save the replay but I'll try to replicate it.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Holy crap. I was aware that DL can be cancelled like the hop, but I had no clue it worked like that with platforms. Good stuff. I'll add this when I get home. Although it needs a better name than fang cancel since the move being used is DL.

So I'm pretty sure i just did the c-bounce tech without a c-stick on for glory. I forgot to save the replay but I'll try to replicate it.
I find that highly unlikely considering the B reverse and turn around input would have to be inputed on the same frame. Unless your joystick can be two places at ounce that's highly unlikely. You likely did a wave bounce.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I mentioned the rapid jab thing.

I input a turnaround during the end of the dl kick and breverse to wavebounce/produce the same effect as as a bstick.

Athrel

Smash Cadet
speaking of c-bouncing, are there any extra tips for being able to pull it off. I sat down and practiced it for about an hour yesterday and only managed to do it about 2-3 times.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
speaking of c-bouncing, are there any extra tips for being able to pull it off. I sat down and practiced it for about an hour yesterday and only managed to do it about 2-3 times.
Did you set an unused trigger to Special? That makes it much easier. Try 'slamming' the buttons/stick, as well.

Athrel

Smash Cadet
Did you set an unused trigger to Special? That makes it much easier. Try 'slamming' the buttons/stick, as well.
yeah, I have R set to special, tiltstick, and I tend to be pretty aggressive in all of my button presses. I guess I just need to work on coordinating the button presses and general timing.

mdoepker

Smash Cadet
NNID
mdoepker
yeah, I have R set to special, tiltstick, and I tend to be pretty aggressive in all of my button presses. I guess I just need to work on coordinating the button presses and general timing.
It might even be worth it to go into Training mode and slow down the frame rate so you can figure out the timing of it. Gradually speed it up as you feel comfortable.

YGK

Smash Cadet
I actually wrote a massively detailed post about training techniques for doing C-bounced Instant Needle Cancels as Sheik a while back: http://smashboards.com/threads/new-sheik-tech-instant-needle-cancels.402777/page-2#post-19471768
There's a lot of stuff specific to the INC tech which won't be relevant to you, but the training methods I describe should be useful. I actually saw Void doing some similar drills once during a hand warmer. Also, this sort of muscle-memory training always seems to pay off the next day, so keep at it.

Anyone have a good handle on what portions of her UP-B cancel into a ledge snap? It seems to work like Fox's up B in Melee, where it can snap the ledge right before you start moving, but the window seems a bit longer than that. It's not quite an AT, but timing it just right so your opponent expects you to snap the ledge but instead you fly into them with a hitbox could be useful.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it's been noted already, but Corrin's fair has a good early auto-cancel. I'm not exactly sure what the data is on it, but you can short-hop fair, and if you input another fair he'll start the fair animation, but land laglessly, meaning the early auto-cancel is probably something like 1-6 or similar which also allows him to "A-land" if mastered, allowing you to avoid tech chase situations when possible. It also makes it easier to land and shield without risking the accidental air dodge into the ground. Kind of how Ness players use the early auto-cancel on dair, except without as extreme an auto-cancel.

Last edited:

Zettard

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I found something interesting while watching Jtails stream. At 21:13 you can hear Corrin's pin sound effect play, but no hitbox comes out. Jtails then immediately pin's again, suffering no landing lag.

http://www.twitch.tv/jtails/v/40267196
He just used DL right before hitting the ground, which gave him only the landing lag and canceled the actual attack and then instant pinned. So poorly nothing special.

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
Personally I bind special to :GCZ:. Might be useful to you.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
The tough part about the tech is that the inputs have to be made at exactly the same time, meaning that you've got less than 1/60 of a second to hit them both. A couple suggestions I'd make:
  • The harder you hit the buttons the less room for error you'll have
  • If you're doing it out of a dash, you can't C-bounce until the initial dash animation is complete. It works at any point while standing, walking, or while in the air
  • I honestly don't recommend slowing things down in training mode, as it doesn't make any difference - it still has to all be done at the same time
If you haven't read the full article here, then I highly recommend doing so. It's tough to get down, but it's really awesome when it works. If you've got any more questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited:

Athrel

Smash Cadet
After taking everyone's advice into account and practicing some more earlier today, I'm able to c-bounce pretty consistently (8ish/10 times). Thanks to everyone who helped.

zeroskatr12

Smash Rookie
How often do you guys use C-bouncing and how useful is it? I'd really rather not change my c-stick to tilts or trigger to special. But if this is a very used tech then I guess I need to.

D

Deleted member

How often do you guys use C-bouncing and how useful is it? I'd really rather not change my c-stick to tilts or trigger to special. But if this is a very used tech then I guess I need to.
Once you master it, C-Bouncing is a VERY VERY VERY good mixup tool...
Especially in the air, not so much on the ground with Corrin.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
You can wavebounce with the control stick. You.can use a turnaround neutral b by tapping the opposite direction you're facing, and pressing the special button plus the original direction(A b reverse input). I believe you can buffer the turnaround during the endlag of a move(such as after a dragon lunge kick), and input the b reverse input shortly after. This is what I do as having the cstick set to smashes allows me to pivot fsmash easier.

I don't find it very useful or necessary in using Corrin honestly, but.that's not to say I find it useless. If anything it's a nice way to mix up your landing.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Platform-hopped Dragon Lance. PHDL. Pronounced "fiddle."

(is it dragon lance or dragon lunge? either way I like it)

Last edited:

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
i find it very useful as a mix up tool. you jump towards the opponent pretending to commit something, then wavebounce back and be happy. it can also be good for positioning once in a while. the grounded version isnt that useful imo, since corrin doesnt really get a nice slide out of it like sheik does.

marekage

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5172-1502-9276
hi everyone, i am new here but i found something that might be interesting for Corrin.
i didn't see it was mentionned somewhere but you can do the jump from dragon lunge on place without moving forward or backward !

hope you will find it interesting.

Last edited:

Spark31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Spark311
3DS FC
4940-5914-5196
That's been known for quite some time. It's not even really am AT, it's basic move mechanics.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Can someone explain the differences in utility between C-bouncing and wavebouncing?

Also Spark31 Spark31
"Platform pin" doesn't really explain what's happening and is likely to bring confusion when people are talking about pinning to platforms normally. I would recommend something more accurate like Dragon Lunge Platform Overlap (DLPO) or something like that with a better acronym.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Can someone explain the differences in utility between C-bouncing and wavebouncing?

Also Spark31 Spark31
"Platform pin" doesn't really explain what's happening and is likely to bring confusion when people are talking about pinning to platforms normally. I would recommend something more accurate like Dragon Lunge Platform Overlap (DLPO) or something like that with a better acronym.
The big difference is that you can C-bounce on the ground, while wavebouncing is strictly aerial. Also, C-bouncing doesn't require you to face the opposite direction at any point.

As for the acronym, let's not come up with another one; there are too many of them as it is. It's just a pin that snaps you in the air above a platform.

Last edited:
Top Bottom