• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drack's Wolf Guide - now maintained by Kashakunaki

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
i didnt discover this, but i didnt notice it in your guide either. If you fair as soon as you jump, you wont have any landing lag that you normally would have from fairing. you just land on the ground normally as if you had jumped

Darkest

Smash Apprentice
i didnt discover this, but i didnt notice it in your guide either. If you fair as soon as you jump, you wont have any landing lag that you normally would have from fairing. you just land on the ground normally as if you had jumped
This has been known for awhile by most people. And you need to SH fair to get it to cancel.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
This has been known for awhile by most people. And you need to SH fair to get it to cancel.
well, wolf's jump is basically a short hop. you have to press down hard to do his "full jump". And yeah, its been known for awhile, which makes it even weirder that it isnt in the guide, dont you think?

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I did some more tests to check my arguments vs Bocks

Again, same conditions. Final Destination, no stale moves, target is mario.

No DI: KO 143%. confirms my earlier statement
DI down + holding down the entire time: KO 146%
DI sideways away from wolf: Lives up to 160%! Any higher and Mario gets KO'd off the top-side diagonal wall.

Now, Wolf's Fair doesn't hit straight up. It hits up and a small bit away from wolf. Therefore, DIing it down works just a tiny bit. Also, it seems air mobiility doesn't work during hitstun so won't help you survive upwards knocking attacks.

The best DI to avoid a star KO would be sideways away from wolf and a tiny bit down, perpendicular to the usual knockback direction.

Again, this confirms my statement regarding DI: only the perpendicular portion of the DI helps change the direction of the attack. Once hitstun is over you can move through the air with air mobility, separate from DI.

LANDMASTERED!

Smash Rookie
I love Wolf (my favourite Character). I love his moveset and this guide nailed it all there. One thing I do have to say and I have done it, Wolf Illusion (I think that is the name, side B) if sweetspotted, and the enemy is below you, it does spike. I killed someone using this spike (but I killed myself in response).

Anywho, like the review, like the combos and love Wolf:chuckle:.

P.S. Maybe also add his Final Smash into this guide, it is different then the landmasters used by falco and fox.

DoogieDoowap

Smash Rookie
I'd highly appreciate it if someone could post a good example of WW i just want to make sure im doing it right. Thanks.

--DoogieDoowap--

Novabound

Smash Apprentice
Neutral air: (8% for the first frame, otherwise 1% per hit) Wolf does some front flips. This move has pretty much zero knockback except for right when you start it, and can hit multiple times otherwise. (From Drack's guide, and yeah, I'm noobish enough to not know how to quote it. : ( )

Random info that I actually didn't see mentioned after a couple pages, so forgive me if it was already @_@

His neutral air actually ends very quickly and with that, you can short hop with it acrossed someone shielding, landing on the opposite side, have no lag, and turn around and grab. Or landing in front and immediately just jab to push them away to avoid a shield grab. If memory serves my correctly, you can short hop and fastfall within it and still have no lag. Just a couple ideas. Long live Wolf!

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
whoah whoah whoah i just tested this vs mario, at 143% DIing down wolfs Fair hardly sends u off the screen, doesnt nearly kill u even without stale moves (they don't apply in training mode) but uh.. what? verticle DI is out? test it? u tested it? **** u had me doubting DI n everything, and that was WITHOUT an air dodge which further slows u down, but actually why am i arguing? we're assuming we fight mario in training mode right? then ya fair is def better kill move, ive had more kills with fair than fsmash for sure lol@noobs that use fsmash when fair is clearly more effective
Air dodge actually doesn't decrease the knock back of an attack, stale moves do.

DI changes the direction you are knocked in, not the distance you're knocked. That's why it's called Directional Influence. DIing down a hit that sends you up won't change the direction. Vertical DI isn't "out" - if you get hit horizontally you can make the hit go further up or down instead of to the side. But DIing in the exact opposite direction you're going isnt going to do much of anything. The reason you can survive longer is that you're sort of fastfalling - ie moving through the air. DI and air mobility are 2 different things. DI happens as you get hit, air mobility happens all the time you're off the ground. I should have said to best survive a pure vertical hit, DI the hit to the side then hold down.

Also, air dodge does not cancel any momentum. The video "proving" it did looked as though it did because of stale moves. The CPUs airdodge after getting hit so you can't combo them as well, not to cancel momentum.

Comboing with fairs is a pretty terrible idea unless your opponent keeps jumping into them. You'll just get shieldgrabbed or just plain punished as Wolf takes forever to get up off the ground after your attack.

A good player will punish both fairs and fsmashes. It's not terribly hard to predict & punish, and both of them have enough time for the opponent to do something before you can do anything else.
Actually, if you Fair as you leave the ground (fairly quickly [lol at pun]) then you will land after the attack animation has finished, incurring no lag. NO this is NOT a cancel, it is merely landing after the animation has finished. However, I find there to be better alternatives to spamming fairs anyways.

I'd highly appreciate it if someone could post a good example of WW i just want to make sure im doing it right. Thanks.

--DoogieDoowap--
Wolf Wall is about 70% of my playstyle and I have several videos of me using it in different ways. As a defense and as a comboing offense. I'll try to get those videos up soon, and when I do, I will PM you.

Again, I would like to express my apologies for not starting a new thread yet. I just got back from a vacation and have to finish this school project lest I fail my class. After that though this thread shall get a majority of my attention. However, I am slightly disheartened as most of my attempts to organize this board have failed due to people ignoring my threads. Hopefully I can prevent that from happening again.

EDIT:
Random info that I actually didn't see mentioned after a couple pages, so forgive me if it was already @_@

His neutral air actually ends very quickly and with that, you can short hop with it acrossed someone shielding, landing on the opposite side, have no lag, and turn around and grab. Or landing in front and immediately just jab to push them away to avoid a shield grab. If memory serves my correctly, you can short hop and fastfall within it and still have no lag. Just a couple ideas. Long live Wolf!
This isn't directed at you, but the populous as a whole. You need to differentiate between "lag canceling" and what isn't "lag canceling." For starters, as far as I know, there are NO lag cancels in this game.

Aerials either have very short landing lag (Such as Wolf's Bair and Nair) or the animation ends before you hit the ground. If you Fair immediately after Wolf leaves the ground (or Dair with Ganondorf) they will land after their attack animation ends, so the only lag they incur is that of landing lag. This makes it look as though the attack was "canceled" but in reality, it wasn't. It would be the exact same thing if I did Wolf's Fair from the top of New Pork and then just floated to the ground and hit it. I didn't cancel anything, the animation was just over. It's the same thing, just over a much shorter distance.

I've tried Nair to Shine, Nair to Jab, and Nair to Grab, and none of them work. You might catch someone off guard every now and then, but it is possible to shield grab you out of each of those. However, the going through the shield thing is pretty good info, thank you. The Nair also has no flinch frames on it, which sucks.

I also do a Reverse Aerial Rush with a bair through peoples shields to dsmash, which also works well.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I am 100% bet my thumbs on it positive unless some AR testing somewhere proved that it decreases it by like... a frame of movement or whatever.

I assume you are familiar with the reduced knockback and damage aspect of Brawl.

In the video demonstrating "Air Momentum Cancel" the Ike Forward Smashed once and the opponent did not DI. The opponent came back and the Ike Forward Smashed again, but this time with DI and the knockback was reduced dramatically. Then Ike Forward Smashed again, but this time the opponent DIed and air dodged and the knockback was reduced only slightly.

This is because the Ike forward smashed three times in a row without using other moves or dieing. This caused the knockback of his attack to be reduced.

A more accurate study would be this:
Forward Smash without DI, then kill yourself
Forward Smash with DI, then kill yourself
Forward Smash with DI and airdodge, then kill yourself.

I think you will find that the air dodge does nothing.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Wolf's Shine has priority over everything Metaknight can do. It's great for stopping his rushdown and giving you some breathing room.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Hey Kashakunaki, I didn't see this anywhere so I thought I'd throw this out (I'm not a wolf player so try not to flame too much if it's already common knowledge).

When you reflect a projectile (not a gravity affected one, but a projectile that you actually reflect) with the down B you get a modified animation as you're reflecting the projectile (the reflector seems to become more transluscent). During this time, you can spotdodge, roll, or jump (by pressing down, left or right, and jump respectively).

I thought this might be useful since you recover faster (by jumping) than if you just stopped holding the button for the reflector (which has some lag afterward).

Oh, and this only works if you're on the ground (as far as I know). Well, thanks for looking into it.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
i'm having a lot of trouble turn around shorting hopping anything, icludint the bair.. anyone have any adice
practice running then turning around and jumping. after a couple of times add a bair after the jump. If you have trouble doing it slow the game speed down and keep practicing.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Wow, that's pretty interesting sniper. I didn't know that. I'll look into it.

As for you PhantomEdge, pretty much go with what Ghost said. Take it a step at a time. First just run and turn around, then add a jump, then add an attack. Don't try and do it all at the same time.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Wolf Wall is about 70% of my playstyle and I have several videos of me using it in different ways. As a defense and as a comboing offense. I'll try to get those videos up soon, and when I do, I will PM you.
Hey, if you don't mind, I'd love to get a PM when you have those videos up too. I can do it, but I'm not too good with it yet and it would be neat to see some good examples of how it is incorporated into your play style.

Hey Kashakunaki, I didn't see this anywhere so I thought I'd throw this out (I'm not a wolf player so try not to flame too much if it's already common knowledge).

When you reflect a projectile (not a gravity affected one, but a projectile that you actually reflect) with the down B you get a modified animation as you're reflecting the projectile (the reflector seems to become more transluscent). During this time, you can spotdodge, roll, or jump (by pressing down, left or right, and jump respectively).

I thought this might be useful since you recover faster (by jumping) than if you just stopped holding the button for the reflector (which has some lag afterward).

Oh, and this only works if you're on the ground (as far as I know). Well, thanks for looking into it.
This sounds awesome. Between this and the invincibility frames, Wolf's shine seems to be a really bizarre and special move. I think this could also be useful because a lot of the time when you are playing reflector games with someone else, they will try to follow up after they think you're going to reflect with another projectile. Reflecting and then shorthopping forward might be a really neat way to approach some characters, if it works well enough.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Absolutely, teekay. School and work consume my schedule, but I think I can put a couple hours aside to get up some Wolf Wall videos specifically to visually demonstrate what I mean. I haven't played Brawl in like... three weeks practically, so my skills are rusty, but I have some old (actually LOTS of videos) videos of me ****** with it. I'll get those up soon.

Agreed with the shine.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
This post has long since scrolled off the end of the forum.

I think that a lot of this information should be incorporated into the current guides.

Top Bottom