• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Well done ! I don't know much about the MU yet (still have to patch my game up :ohwell: ), but when Shiek grabs you, DI away from her. Always. it can avoid you an insane amount of mindames. And it also work against her BThrow I think. NEVER DI into her, or you'll get comboed. Aside from that, I enjoyed the match ^^

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Yeah, this MU blows. You did great nonetheless leafstool 4 days.

ALSO DAT MUSIC THO!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Another one
Well played. You killed me after you broke her shield though. You had 3 ways to finish her off and you got fancy instead and messed it up :glare: You won anyway, so... :awesome:

A friend of mine plays Yomi and apparently they have a saying: "If you have lethal, USE lethal."
Just finish them off.

Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Well played. You killed me after you broke her shield though. You had 3 ways to finish her off and you got fancy instead and messed it up :glare: You won anyway, so... :awesome:

A friend of mine plays Yomi and apparently they have a saying: "If you have lethal, USE lethal."
Just finish them off.
Yo man you are so right, I mucked up a easy kill. But I wanted to finish off strong =s

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
last videos I'll post for a bit but I thought they were good ones anyhow haha

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, figured I'd post some vids from yesterdays weekly here for some good ol fashion critique! I went mega in 2 of my streamed sets yesterday, first set it was only game 3, 2nd set it was all mega.Thoughts are much appreciated!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Some games I just played through on Anther's Ladder, 3 wins and 3 losses from each video. I have once again been MIA from my local scene and I have yet to get back into tournaments. My Mom just gave back my console about a week and a half ago iirc and I'm practicing for my return.

Losses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_u6c586hcU (:4zss::4wiifitm::rosalina:)
Wins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXDmru63B0 (:rosalina::4kirby::4link:)

I did get a Gold Rank on Anther's so far, but I still feel as though I haven't improved much since last time and for some reason I still can't seem to shake off my habits from re-watching these videos: I still overuse Falling Uairs, my lemon play still needs a bit more work, I still don't make the most out of using Metal Blades, and I still don't pay enough attention to what my opponent is doing. I'm also now noticing that I don't even Z-Drop much... I think I can see most of what I'm doing wrong, but somehow I feel that actually breaking these habits has been harder than it should be and I dunno what to do at this point If ya got any helpful advice/criticism, I'd appreciate it.

My Nose is a little runny, so pardon any sniffles or other annoying background noises you hear.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Some games I just played through on Anther's Ladder, 3 wins and 3 losses from each video. I have once again been MIA from my local scene and I have yet to get back into tournaments. My Mom just gave back my console about a week and a half ago iirc and I'm practicing for my return.

Losses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_u6c586hcU (:4zss::4wiifitm::rosalina:)
Wins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXDmru63B0 (:rosalina::4kirby::4link:)

I did get a Gold Rank on Anther's so far, but I still feel as though I haven't improved much since last time and for some reason I still can't seem to shake off my habits from re-watching these videos: I still overuse Falling Uairs, my lemon play still needs a bit more work, I still don't make the most out of using Metal Blades, and I still don't pay enough attention to what my opponent is doing. I'm also now noticing that I don't even Z-Drop much... I think I can see most of what I'm doing wrong, but somehow I feel that actually breaking these habits has been harder than it should be and I dunno what to do at this point If ya got any helpful advice/criticism, I'd appreciate it.

My Nose is a little runny, so pardon any sniffles or other annoying background noises you hear.
I think you did pretty good, the matches you lost were pretty close, and some of them you lost the lead early for a quick mistake(like against ZSS), so really nothing i can tell you here.

Wanted to say this for some time: man, you know how to move O.O. Makes me feel like my Megaman is a freaking stone compared to yours, you are really good at going in and out of your opponents range, cool stuff.

Peabnut Bubber

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peabnut124
3DS FC
2449-4746-6273
Wanted to say this for some time: man, you know how to move O.O. Makes me feel like my Megaman is a freaking stone compared to yours, you are really good at going in and out of your opponents range, cool stuff.
Thanks man, I believe movement is #1 when it comes to playing megaman. The movement of the more well known megamen needs to be improved, and I know I still have ways to improve too.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I mostly play on FG, so platform play might change some things. Most notably, it can make Header less useful as often platforms will get in the way (and you weren't jumping above them frequently). Ledge play Header is a little less useful against Mega Man as you noticed you could often knock the ball away with lemons.

He probably should've been shooting more partially charged Sun Salutations because almost only using fully charged meant he couldn't use it to cancel your projectiles as often and because mostly charged SS still does decent damage (you miss out on the healing tho) and it can catch you off-guard. He also probably could've done more Header mixups in terms of making his movement less predictable and varying the speed/trajectory of the move.

The Leaf Shield at the ledge may have been useful if he panicked, but you ended up taking more damage through Headers and uairs than you dealt (you took over twice as much damage as you dealt using it by the ledge), while never succeeding at gimping him or getting any grabs, etc. out of it. WFT's dangerous to go off-stage against, as Header can spike you when you least expect it (and dair and fair spike too, and Hoops can stage spike...) so I understand your reluctance to go off-stage much but you probably stayed on the ledge a little too much. Bair is good, but you seemed unwilling to go quite far enough out to hit with it. It might've been worth it to try for dair spikes and Z-drop MB though, since you're not at much risk trying it when WFT is recovering low (but it is harder to hit WFT than other characters, of course, because WFT's recovery is much less predictable than most characters).

I feel like I should have better advice since I use both characters, but I'm not the best player (pretty good, in the scheme of things, but pretty bad compared to tourney players). In my experience, I have an easier time fighting WFT as Mega Man than the other way around but I can't articulate exactly why.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Went to a small local yesterday, first tournament I've been to in awhile as I return to my smash scene. I scored 2nd and lost only to this one PR player (who beats me every single time and I've lost to him more than anyone else recently). There were only 12 of us there but for a first time since my return I thought I did fairly good, and I made myself a cool new tag: DWN.658. I haven't done this in awhile, and boy is it good to be back, I want to improve myself even further this time around.

DWN.658 :4megaman: vs Gohan :4pit::4olimar::4pikachu: : http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/36861531?t=01h12m24s

DWN.658 :4megaman::4greninja: vs Scorch :4sonic:: http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/36861531?t=01h25m51s

DWN.658 :4megaman: vs Saiki :4sheik::4marth:: http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/36861531?t=16m32s

Although I beat (or used to beat) Scorch on a consistent basis, I felt I coulda played the Sonic match a little bit better than I did. I'm pretty disappointed with how I did in the Marth match though, I always lose to Saiki generally and but he only picked Marth because somebody on stream requested him to for lolz. I could be wrong but I don't think he actually practices said character and that it was just supposed to be a sandbag joke, and yet I still got bodied and lost! I got over it for the rest of the tournament but looking back it was a pretty humilating loss on my part and I'm definitely not happy with that one, not to mention I had problems taking out another Marth I played at my last tournament. Can't say I know what happened: looks like he's either just that much better than I am, or I really don't know how to fight Marth (probably both).

Lemme know what to work on! And thanks in advance!

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
DWN.658 :4megaman::4greninja: vs Scorch :4sonic:: http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/36861531?t=01h25m51s

DWN.658 :4megaman: vs Saiki :4sheik::4marth:: http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/36861531?t=16m32s

Although I beat (or used to beat) Scorch on a consistent basis, I felt I coulda played the Sonic match a little bit better than I did. I'm pretty disappointed with how I did in the Marth match though, I always lose to Saiki generally and but he only picked Marth because somebody on stream requested him to for lolz. I could be wrong but I don't think he actually practices said character and that it was just supposed to be a sandbag joke, and yet I still got bodied and lost! I got over it for the rest of the tournament but looking back it was a pretty humilating loss on my part and I'm definitely not happy with that one, not to mention I had problems taking out another Marth I played at my last tournament. Can't say I know what happened: looks like he's either just that much better than I am, or I really don't know how to fight Marth (probably both).

Lemme know what to work on! And thanks in advance!

Funny thing, i ended up whatching this on youtube cause by the time i could watch it, they had already uploaded it there and i happened to find it while searching google to see if your new tag meant anything XD

Just can't watch the match vs Scorch, cause its not there and trying to watch it on twich, i guess they had a problem or something cause the whole match is slowed down and weird, like you were playing online with lag.
Vs Saiki i really don't know, Sheik is just... Sheik, and Marth, i think it was more of you losing morale cause of the first 2 games than anything, but incidently, i also struggle against Marth. I know Dezmu and Scatt played Mr. E a few times, maybe they can help here.
Also, what does your tag means XD ? The number, is it something specific?

Last edited:

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
so last night i was testing out the twitch app on my new phone. was actually looking for dkwills feed but saw nairos and clicked on it. watched a bit. got in the mood for smash, so went up to play. tried to join at the same time as he was, didn't get matched up, oh well just kept playing. and eventually i ran into him xD the connection was a little sticky at times but was mostly ok. wish he didnt quit tho : / I wanted more

vs Nairo:4pikachu: http://www.twitch.tv/nairomk/v/37922022?t=3h15m30s

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
so last night i was testing out the twitch app on my new phone. was actually looking for dkwills feed but saw nairos and clicked on it. watched a bit. got in the mood for smash, so went up to play. tried to join at the same time as he was, didn't get matched up, oh well just kept playing. and eventually i ran into him xD the connection was a little sticky at times but was mostly ok. wish he didnt quit tho : / I wanted more

vs Nairo:4pikachu: http://www.twitch.tv/nairomk/v/37922022?t=3h15m30s
After watching your match, there are a few things I want to point out.

• I really hoped to see more Auto-Cancel DAirs. I don't know, Nairo seemed to rush at you a bit randomly. You can just toss one in front of him then land away without fearing any big punish.
  • I think (gotta try it on a CPU I guess) that USmash beats Quick Attack. I'm not sure, but you should try it once in a while.
  • If a Pikachu ever commits to a NeutralB in jump range, don't worry and go for an aerial. You get an almost guaranteed FAir or BAir, or you can go under him and USmash if he doesn't retreat.

Aside from that, you really had a tight Lemon Spacing, which is most appreciated. I don't know why, but my opponents always end up catching my Metal Blades... I think going for the Crash Bomb wasn't needed that much here, and your Leaf Shield game was good (Althrough tossing it would have been useful too). Overall, it was fun to watch. I wish Nairo just switched and went for another round. We can all see that he doesn't main Pikachu (because he doesn't of course), even if he had solid basics.

That reminds me that I played a really good Pikachu on FG Saturday. I think we went for, like, 20 or more sets ? Many (if not all) of them were tight, but I lost 'em. XD
He gave me some solid MU experience, even if it's on FG. Gotta give him a shoutout. I'll post his NNID here tomorrow. Maybe.
Edit : The guy's NNID was Mike_Hoe4U. Shoutouts to you, buddy.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Got some more tourney matches here guys. One vs Ally's Cloud and a really good set vs one of our PR level sheiks, any input on these would be much appreciated!

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) VS WTTD(Zamus)

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) VS ALLY(Cloud)

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) VS GG|NOM(Sheik)

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
S smasher1001 Good stuff. On the game with Sheik, i was actually thinking why on earth would you go Mega against Sheik after losing with Mario, but look at that, you actually pulled of a huge comeback game 2 and did pretty well on game 3. Really think you could've pulled it off if not for that unfortunate DI on the last stock.

Dezmu Dezmu That game 2 final kill is the textbook definition of "just as planned". Seriously tho, nice awareness pushing forward with that edgeguard once you realized the crashbomb caught his recovery.
On game 1 however, look out for opportunities like 2:59. He had no choice but to use his side B at that height, you could've caught him with a utilt or a dair.
Edit: Talking about the game vs Sikku, forgot to mention. Against Hobbes's Zss you seem to know the MU pretty damn well.

So, got on the stream for the first time, here are my matches:

Didn't played as well as i would like for my first time on camera XD

Anyways, i watched it a lot so i have some idea as to what i could've done better, but i'd still like to hear from you guys.
Especially against Rosa, cause whenever i play Abaca, it seems whoever takes the first stock runs away with it really hard, my biggest problem is that even when i take out Luma, i don't know how to approach to capitalize on it.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Anyways, i watched it a lot so i have some idea as to what i could've done better, but i'd still like to hear from you guys.
Especially against Rosa, cause whenever i play Abaca, it seems whoever takes the first stock runs away with it really hard, my biggest problem is that even when i take out Luma, i don't know how to approach to capitalize on it.
I'd say you have a problem I had early on. You switch between ranged and melee too frequently. Mega Man really needs to stay back until an opening presents its self. It seemed like you were doing ranged for a little while but then would go in close when it wasn't safe. Sometimes you'd use ranged options up close like Crash Bomb and Metal Blade. Other times you'd use pretty unsafe moves up close (like falling fairs).

Other thing I'll note is that I never saw you grab pummel (or I missed them) and you full hop a lot compared to short hopping. Full hops are dangerous against Rosalina because she loves people to be above her. As for your Dedede fight; don't challenge him in the air so much. If he wants to float around up there, just shoot Air Shooter or Metal Blades at him.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
I'd say you have a problem I had early on. You switch between ranged and melee too frequently. Mega Man really needs to stay back until an opening presents its self. It seemed like you were doing ranged for a little while but then would go in close when it wasn't safe. Sometimes you'd use ranged options up close like Crash Bomb and Metal Blade. Other times you'd use pretty unsafe moves up close (like falling fairs).

Other thing I'll note is that I never saw you grab pummel (or I missed them) and you full hop a lot compared to short hopping. Full hops are dangerous against Rosalina because she loves people to be above her. As for your Dedede fight; don't challenge him in the air so much. If he wants to float around up there, just shoot Air Shooter or Metal Blades at him.
You know the mental block is strong when i didn't even considered how much i did full hops in those matches.

Thanks for the tips, have a tournament this weekend, think i'm actually going to make some notes and read it before every match, see if i can remember myself to think instead of doing the same stuff all over.

KrakatoaPower

Smash Rookie

I have such a hard time with this matchup jeez =(
I would say try edgeguarding with back air more. Also don't fish for f smash so much. Overall good job. MU advice for Ness and Lucas, just force them to use their PK Thunder and then just leaf shield them. If they hit you you better just tech the stage.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Back air works really well against pk thunder recovery. Also if you can hit them with dair before they can hit themselves with the pk Thunder it is super effective

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I would say try edgeguarding with back air more. Also don't fish for f smash so much. Overall good job. MU advice for Ness and Lucas, just force them to use their PK Thunder and then just leaf shield them. If they hit you you better just tech the stage.
I thank you for the advice, however I don't actually have issues with Ness and Lucas at the moment. This info was good though and I do appreciate it

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Best dog in the world.
Except when he saves the opponent, in wich case os "stupid dog, you made me look bad !".

Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
That is when I sit there and I am like, RUSH HAS FORSAKEN ME!

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Went to a 19-man local today and placed 4th. Initially planned on going all :4corrin: but once again ended up using Rockman for the majority lol, and I happened to get just about all of my MM matches on stream.

Funkermonster:4megaman: vs Dr.Fil:4diddy: http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/40483139?t=39m53s
Funkermonster:4megaman::4corrinf: vs Muscleman:4fox: http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/40483139?t=01h00m46s
Funkermonster:4megaman::4greninja: vs Swoops :4mewtwo: http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/40483139?t=01h55m36s

Swoops beat me both of my times in bracket and many times before (maybe the first set with him will be up on youtube, the stream for that got jacked a bit and cut up into different sections), I thought I could take him this time but up until now I've never played a good Mewtwo and I was shaking in my pants.

I still got 4th place, but I'm not satisfied with my performance here, I still aim to improve. Advice? I know I need to improve my mixup game (as one commentator noted just before the diddy set) and tone down the falling uairs, but what else?

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, had what I thought to be some amazingly hype mega games this sat, I was really feeling megaman that day. I hope you guys enjoy! Really hyped atm to see how I continue to grow!

Smasher1001(Megaman) vs CrazyColors(Rosalina)

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Gains(Luigi)

Smasher1001(Mario/Megaman) vs Loe1(Luigi)

Smasher1001(Megaman) vs JT5565(Sonic)

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Funkermonster:4megaman::4greninja: vs Swoops :4mewtwo: http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/40483139?t=01h55m36s

Swoops beat me both of my times in bracket and many times before (maybe the first set with him will be up on youtube, the stream for that got jacked a bit and cut up into different sections), I thought I could take him this time but up until now I've never played a good Mewtwo and I was shaking in my pants.

I still got 4th place, but I'm not satisfied with my performance here, I still aim to improve. Advice? I know I need to improve my mixup game (as one commentator noted just before the diddy set) and tone down the falling uairs, but what else?
Mewtwo is a rough matchup for the reasons shown in your matches with Swoops. Mewtwo doesn't really need to approach Mega Man and the threat of that Shadow Ball means we can't do a very linear approach. I wish I could offer some good advice on how to pin him down. All I know is that you have to be VERY careful and VERY patient against Mewtwo. That could lead to a lame time out but options are somewhat limited against him.

Hey guys, had what I thought to be some amazingly hype mega games this sat, I was really feeling megaman that day. I hope you guys enjoy! Really hyped atm to see how I continue to grow!
Those matches had some impressive Metal Blade play. Also nice off stage game you have. I gotta step mine up!

Last edited:

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Hey guys this is a montage I spent a lot of time putting together. Have a watch and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom