• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
For the YouTube uploAd thing for videos that are longer than 3 mins does it just cut them off or not allow yiu to upload them at all?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Hey guys, I have some matches that I would like to receive some feedback on.

Me vs. WS | Boss (:4luigi:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppNmJonzGY

This was my first time ever playing against Boss in singles, and he flexed all over me. It probably didn't help that I had little to no experience in fighting Luigi going into this match either.

Me vs. SOVA Unknown (:4link:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tl1UmxTjas

This was also my first time playing Unknown and the set was going okay until my mindset crumbled during fourth match. Looking back on this set, I really feel like I could've won this, but I was so nervous by the fourth game that I just kind of fell apart.

I know these matches look really bad, but I had been playing great up until then and I actually ended up getting 5th place out of more than 50 people, so it wasn't a total loss. :b:

Thanks in advance for the help you guys!
Against Boss,

I don't know why you are approaching luigi so much, that is his hardest thing to do is get to you. If you run towards him you are doing exactly what he wants, because he wants a grab.

You did a decent job for a moment at the start of the second game keeping him away with pellets. Also I'm sure you know this but be careful using LS when you are offstage.

Keep mobile with your pellets and watch for the grabs, because once you get grabbed you are basically at luigis will.

MarioFX

Smash Rookie
Against Boss,

I don't know why you are approaching luigi so much, that is his hardest thing to do is get to you. If you run towards him you are doing exactly what he wants, because he wants a grab.

You did a decent job for a moment at the start of the second game keeping him away with pellets. Also I'm sure you know this but be careful using LS when you are offstage.

Keep mobile with your pellets and watch for the grabs, because once you get grabbed you are basically at luigis will.
Thank you for the advice! I actually didn't get to play Boss again in singles today, but I got a sick 2 vs. 1 comeback against Boss and his teammate. :D

Mr.Metal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0860-3619-7626
Neutral Game: You often threw out attacks that in no way would have ever hit the opponent. You threw out Air Shooters when the opponent was off stage and you were pretty close to the center. You dtilted when the opponent was too far away and you ended your attack right in their punishing range. You threw out fairs and bairs when you were too close to the ground to actually connect with them. Special attack when you were right in your opponent's face (all of Mega Man's specials are very slow). Your neutral game should consist mostly of light pellet and short hops (JUMP 'N' SHOOT!)play while going in for grabs when you get a good read or when they make a mistake.

Off Stage: You opted to fast fall off the stage and then regrab the ledge (which means you lost all invincibility frames). I'd also say you didn't manage your jumps very well as there was one point in the first match where you would have just fallen to your death because you used Rush too early and then tried to double jump back but you were too far out. Like at 5:28, I'm pretty sure you weren't going to grab the ledge because you immediately air dodged out of your double jump after using Rush. But MK hit you so you got Rush back. If you're recovering, your priority should be getting to the ledge (without using your second jump if possible) or recovering high and cancelling the landing lag with pellets or Leaf Shield.

I apologize for sounding somewhat mean if I did, I was a bit frustrated while posting that message and video due to the reking I received that day. Most of your recommendations seem to be common knowledge for megaman that I had forgotten while sparring with him, after thinking for a while and re approaching the MU I have been able to beat him by jumping and shooting more instead of approaching with Sweet spot Nair and grabs, I guess most of him outplaying him was just impatience of my part.

A question if I may, How would you edge guard Meta knight? out of all the time I spent sparring with him and a GyW that was the one thing I couldn't seem to figure out and it was sincerely bothering me that I had to wait for him to grab ledge and either attempt a ledge trump or recur to basic ledge option covering.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Any suggestion to improve my coming back to the ledge? I try to do nairs but I sometimes get punished hard for that

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Match i had on the ladder some time ago, decided to record it cause i got my *** kicked pretty hard. This was before the patch.

This was game 3, i lost game one to Sheik, somehow managed to pull off a win against Mario in game 2.
Quality sucks cause:

1- Forgot to turn off the flashlight on the cellphone while recording;

2- Recorded from my TV so it could not possibly be more shaky, will use my gamepad from now on. Still, you guys get to see me getting the snot beat outta me so that's a plus.

This was my first time fighting Sheik outside of FG players, connection had very few hiccups, overall it was pretty ok.
Also had recorded one against other Mario on the ladder but cannot find it for the life of me. Wasn't going to post it after i heard youtube replays was going to be a thing, but after finding out that is only for 3 minutes long videos, seems like i will have to keep recording on my cell for a while. Promise it wont be so shaky next time.

So please fire away: what i did wrong here (spoiler warning, there is a LOT)?

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Match i had on the ladder some time ago, decided to record it cause i got my *** kicked pretty hard. This was before the patch.

This was game 3, i lost game one to Sheik, somehow managed to pull off a win against Mario in game 2.
Quality sucks cause:

1- Forgot to turn off the flashlight on the cellphone while recording;

2- Recorded from my TV so it could not possibly be more shaky, will use my gamepad from now on. Still, you guys get to see me getting the snot beat outta me so that's a plus.

This was my first time fighting Sheik outside of FG players, connection had very few hiccups, overall it was pretty ok.
Also had recorded one against other Mario on the ladder but cannot find it for the life of me. Wasn't going to post it after i heard youtube replays was going to be a thing, but after finding out that is only for 3 minutes long videos, seems like i will have to keep recording on my cell for a while. Promise it wont be so shaky next time.

So please fire away: what i did wrong here (spoiler warning, there is a LOT)?
Hey! I've been looking through the video once and noticed that sometimes, when you can get the kill with Utilt for example, you choose to grab instead. Example is at ~2:50 when sheik fsmash on your shield at 100+ % and you grab instead of utilt. Something to look out for :)

Will look more and update if I find anything else!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
You need to use your pellets more to keep sheik out. And be dynamic when using your pellets. Most of your approaches were very punishable. You should really only go in on sheik when you know you can land a hit or when she isn't expecting it.

What ladder rank were you and your opponent btw

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Hey! I've been looking through the video once and noticed that sometimes, when you can get the kill with Utilt for example, you choose to grab instead. Example is at ~2:50 when sheik fsmash on your shield at 100+ % and you grab instead of utilt. Something to look out for :)

Will look more and update if I find anything else!
Thanks, every input helps! Also DOH', you're right. One of the few things that we can punish Sheik on and i let it slide...

You need to use your pellets more to keep sheik out. And be dynamic when using your pellets. Most of your approaches were very punishable. You should really only go in on sheik when you know you can land a hit or when she isn't expecting it.

What ladder rank were you and your opponent btw
I believe we were the same rank, can't remember if it was silver 3 or bronze 1, cause i falled to bronze some time ago but don't remember if it was before or after this match.

Thanks for the input, but can you specify on how to be more dynamic with my pellets?

Last edited:

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Hello fellow Mega Man mains, er Mega Mains! Puns aside, I'm looking for ways to improve my Mega Man game. Here are 2 replays of mine I would want you guys to review/ critique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlMYDOz3h0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85lvSlN7SQ

Thanks in advance for the advice and reviews!
Looking good! Your playstyle seems to be pretty much exactly mine :D!

I feel bad for the Kirby trying to recover like that on the first stock ;), and also I like what you were trying to do when you died on your first vs Zelda!

My only critique right now would be that you were a bit too hungry for a kill after you SD vs Zelda

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Looking good! Your playstyle seems to be pretty much exactly mine :D!

I feel bad for the Kirby trying to recover like that on the first stock ;), and also I like what you were trying to do when you died on your first vs Zelda!

My only critique right now would be that you were a bit too hungry for a kill after you SD vs Zelda
That Kirby was me, BTW. It's not my most graceful performance on camera, but you can't win them all, and sometimes you lose pretty badly.
BTW, I uploaded this a couple of days ago:
EDIT: I have a new replay to add:

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
If it's low enough for Yoshi to be unable to duck under it, but as high as possible otherwise, then it would be pretty obviously harder to avoid as long as they're not below the stage.

Dunno about whether that would really make it more likely to hit twice, though I guess it does do some vertical knockback, so maybe the idea is that by being higher it's less likely your opponent goes too high to get hit a second time.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Explain me why is it harder to avoid and the better chance of hitting twice
It's part of the buff in the most recent patch. The shield lag on the leaves has been reduced meaning that it's more likely to hit twice when thrown. It's more likely to hit people more often when it's rotating around you as well. If you short hop throw the shield, the entire hitbox is above stage (making it harder to avoid) and if it hits, it is more likely to hit twice.

ElRammo

Smash Rookie
Hello fellow Mega Man mains, er Mega Mains! Puns aside, I'm looking for ways to improve my Mega Man game. Here are 2 replays of mine I would want you guys to review/ critique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlMYDOz3h0o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85lvSlN7SQ

Thanks in advance for the advice and reviews!
If you want critiques you're probably better off finding some stronger players and ideally losing lol. If the other player isn't good enough to force you into a corner (Kirby) there's nothing really there.

Game vs Zelda first stock you had angles where you could have shoryu'd and ended the stock but instead you fullhop pelleted. Diagonal MB woulda been just as safe (actually safer) and had similar likelihood of connecting but has way more reward. In general I'd say always keep the threat of z1gma upper since it's one of the only reliable kill setups you have. Lab the rush coil edge guard more but I think in reality it's too obvious a setup to use more than once (non-competitive). 2nd stock Zelda you started rolling towards and doing a run which is just like wearing a big sign saying you want to shoryu them. You saw in the end how easy it was to get an usmash, so don't abandon the idea that rolling is scrubby especially rolling into someone. If you stick on the ground they'll know you're fishing for a kill move so you need to z1gma in, or dash usmash hard read a roll back. Don't just abandon lemon pressure because you want a kill, it's about conditioning.

If you're fiending after grabs just do a MB first, it's safer and gives you other options if you don't get the hit confirm (a funny one, is run in - spot dodge or stand still for a pause -> utilt).

raizur

Smash Cadet
NNID
raizur
3DS FC
4425-1652-3596
If you want critiques you're probably better off finding some stronger players and ideally losing lol. If the other player isn't good enough to force you into a corner (Kirby) there's nothing really there.

Game vs Zelda first stock you had angles where you could have shoryu'd and ended the stock but instead you fullhop pelleted. Diagonal MB woulda been just as safe (actually safer) and had similar likelihood of connecting but has way more reward. In general I'd say always keep the threat of z1gma upper since it's one of the only reliable kill setups you have. Lab the rush coil edge guard more but I think in reality it's too obvious a setup to use more than once (non-competitive). 2nd stock Zelda you started rolling towards and doing a run which is just like wearing a big sign saying you want to shoryu them. You saw in the end how easy it was to get an usmash, so don't abandon the idea that rolling is scrubby especially rolling into someone. If you stick on the ground they'll know you're fishing for a kill move so you need to z1gma in, or dash usmash hard read a roll back. Don't just abandon lemon pressure because you want a kill, it's about conditioning.

If you're fiending after grabs just do a MB first, it's safer and gives you other options if you don't get the hit confirm (a funny one, is run in - spot dodge or stand still for a pause -> utilt).
Thanks! The losses clips will come soon, I wanted to see if there was anything in my winning clips that could use adjustments.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
There isn't a lot to this match, but I want some feedback on how I can improve my Mega Man. Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Thanks for that info. Any other suggestions?
Pretty much that, never shoot the 3 lemons standing, always try to nair to the back at the 3rd lemon, Ill prefer to see more footage against other characters to give you more suggestiona

Last edited:

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559

Got these videos to upload looking for critique. It's me vs a Lucas who was pretty damn good, and even though I won the second game I feel like maybe I shouldn't have. Two things I think about myself is that I dash attack too much and also D-Tilt too much. Sometimes I get a bit desperate with the U-Smash also, but I usually have so much trouble finishing the stock vs good people :/

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: also sorry for the bad quality, I still haven't figured out my capture card 100%
I just watched the first game again. When I lost my second stock I litterary DI'd as bad as you can do, don't know why :(

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227

Got these videos to upload looking for critique. It's me vs a Lucas who was pretty damn good, and even though I won the second game I feel like maybe I shouldn't have. Two things I think about myself is that I dash attack too much and also D-Tilt too much. Sometimes I get a bit desperate with the U-Smash also, but I usually have so much trouble finishing the stock vs good people :/

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: also sorry for the bad quality, I still haven't figured out my capture card 100%
I just watched the first game again. When I lost my second stock I litterary DI'd as bad as you can do, don't know why :(
Good stuff. I don't really have much to say since i don't face Lucas that often, seems like you are doing fine for the most part. Just watch for those grabs at kill percents. Is his grab slow enough for us to punish with utilt if he misses?

Also i just LOVE Luca's scream for his star KO.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
I fought a Peach on anthers

Then lost to Dark Peach

Top Bottom