• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Mr.Metal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0860-3619-7626
Got some nice footage of me getting absolutely rekted, any tips on what I can do and what I was doing wrong?
Also if you for some reason smell the scent of salt in the air, well you get the idea.
All advice is appreciated!

Also Shoutouts to SDL Strider for sitting with me repeatdely for long hours of practice the dudes a hidden gem!

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
just saw this match and it was great, great DITCIT near the end, that is going to be good for Megaman!

D

Deleted member

Oh, my God. So, I get on Anther's last night to get some practice in. And I ask to do an endless friendly. A guy accepts by the name of Tyler. I see his profile, and I see he plays Sheik and Yoshi. So I figure, why not. I need to work on these matchups still.

Right off the bat, I thank him for playing with me, as I usually do. And I inform him how I struggle with these matchups, because it's two characters that can outcamp me and have better frame data. He says he gets that a lot.

He then tells me that he'll only play a couple games, because he's waiting for a friend to get out of another game. So I say that's fine.

First match, he goes Yoshi. Right off the bat, his Yoshi is running away and throwing eggs. Doesn't even really attempt to combo me. Just run away, eggs. Jump, eggs. Run off the ledge, eggs. And then when I'm at kill percents, he'll run up and shield for days, and wait for me to make a mistake, and then upsmash. I lost my second stock by accidentally doing an FSmash, and he ran up and did an USmash.

It worked the first game. He won, but it was close. Second match, I goes Toon Link. At the time, I wasn't sure why, considering I thought he played Sheik as a secondary. His Toon Link was SUPER campy. But he connected combos really well. So after that match, which I did win, I complimented him and said his Tink is good. And great with combos.

Finally, the third match, he goes back to Yoshi:

After the match, he writes lol, and then says that the match was boring. And I told him that well it's hard to make it exciting when I have to chase him down the whole game. I said Mega Man is slower than Yoshi. Then he started complaining that Mega Man's lemons were essentially OP and his Metal Blade prevented him from getting in. I told him that they do such little knockback, that to a character like Yoshi, it almost doesn't matter (and if you look at the match, he even somewhat demonstrated VERY few times).

I said I have to zone a character like Yoshi out, because Yoshi can camp me hard AND combo me for days.

He then started saying that I am/was salty because I lost the first game, and was johning about accidentally doing an FSmash. I told him I wasn't Johning, and that I was clearly outplayed. But that doesn't mean I meant to do an FSmash, still. And he then started calling me salty and that I was, "lucky," for winning. He said if it wasn't for him, the last game would've gone to time. I reminded him how he was running away the entire time, which he also did with Toon Link. I had to save this match, so you can see what I meant.

Also, he taunted. At the time, I didn't know why he did, until I saw the bubble say, "LOL," or something like that. And then I realized that he was salty.

I regularly play a Yoshi, here locally, who plays similarly. He will run away and use eggs for the whole game. So I wasn't strange to it. And really, again, he outplayed me first game. So I wasn't bothered that it was his playstyle. It is, however, annoying and frustrating, but if it works, then it works.

Anyway, I just had to share this story with you guys. Usually, salty players rage quit. But he just straight tried calling me out. Hilarity!

Greward

Smash Lord
@ellejayfish dunno what kind of advice you are looking for lol but basically there are jerks everywhere. Mega is pretty hated because he is a projectile based character but this guy was camping harder (not that camping isn't acceptable, it is).
When someone is spamming shield this much just go straight at it and grab them. And if yoshi tries to play the matchup super campy, Mega should win the projectile match. If you have to time out do it. Time out only happens if both players "accept" it somehow (aka no one goes full aggresive).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

@ellejayfish dunno what kind of advice you are looking for lol but basically there are jerks everywhere. Mega is pretty hated because he is a projectile based character but this guy was camping harder (not that camping isn't acceptable, it is).
When someone is spamming shield this much just go straight at it and grab them. And if yoshi tries to play the matchup super campy, Mega should win the projectile match. If you have to time out do it. Time out only happens if both players "accept" it somehow (aka no one goes full aggresive).
I wanted to share my experience, lol.

But yeah, I realized he stayed in shield a lot, but I was missing my grabs. And in the first game, I missed a grab too, so I was a little intimidated to just go in and great. But I did realize he was running up and shielding it too. So I caught him a few times. Just nerves, is all.

I never met someone who despised Mega so much.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace

But yeah, I realized he stayed in shield a lot, but I was missing my grabs. And in the first game, I missed a grab too, so I was a little intimidated to just go in and great. But I did realize he was running up and shielding it too. So I caught him a few times. Just nerves, is all.

Believe me, there are A LOT of people who despise Megaman

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227

The best sparring partner i have is a friend who lives near me, and he outright forbids me of using Megaman unless he uses The Green Mario or Little Mac lol cause he hates Megaman just that much XD.

That was a fun read and it actually gives me an idea of what a campy Yoshi can do.

Also, am i going to have to be the guy that points out the hilarity that was you getting spiked, he taunting and you spiking him back a few moments later?

D

Deleted member

Believe me, there are A LOT of people who despise Megaman
I mean, I could read his displeasure without him saying it. But when he started implying that Mega was OP because of lemons and Metal Blades, I kept thinking, you clearly don't know the matchup then.

The best sparring partner i have is a friend who lives near me, and he outright forbids me of using Megaman unless he uses The Green Mario or Little Mac lol cause he hates Megaman just that much XD.

That was a fun read and it actually gives me an idea of what a campy Yoshi can do.

Also, am i going to have to be the guy that points out the hilarity that was you getting spiked, he taunting and you spiking him back a few moments later?
Haha, forbids? That's nuts. I spar with a Luigi main, and after a few games he tells me, "I'm mentally exhausted from fighting Mega Man." I guess when you play him well enough, he can be a pain. I mean, I guess that's why I also hate dittos. Lol.

Yeah, you see him fiending so hard at the end, to get an USmash? ;)

Yeah, I still wonder if he'd have saved the replay, if he had won.

I also forgot to mention that he wrote on my Anther's profile page the following message:

"ggs. to anyone looking to play this guy, be prepared for 8 minute matches each game, and salt after he loses a match."

I wasn't salty after my loss. I just mentioned that I didn't mean to FSmash. That was literally all that was said. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I mean, I could read his displeasure without him saying it. But when he started implying that Mega was OP because of lemons and Metal Blades, I kept thinking, you clearly don't know the matchup then.

Haha, forbids? That's nuts. I spar with a Luigi main, and after a few games he tells me, "I'm mentally exhausted from fighting Mega Man." I guess when you play him well enough, he can be a pain. I mean, I guess that's why I also hate dittos. Lol.

Yeah, you see him fiending so hard at the end, to get an USmash? ;)

Yeah, I still wonder if he'd have saved the replay, if he had won.

I also forgot to mention that he wrote on my Anther's profile page the following message:

"ggs. to anyone looking to play this guy, be prepared for 8 minute matches each game, and salt after he loses a match."

I wasn't salty after my loss. I just mentioned that I didn't mean to FSmash. That was literally all that was said. lol
LOL thats like getting a trophy

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Got some nice footage of me getting absolutely rekted, any tips on what I can do and what I was doing wrong?
Also if you for some reason smell the scent of salt in the air, well you get the idea.

Also Shoutouts to SDL Strider for sitting with me repeatdely for long hours of practice the dudes a hidden gem!

Your neutral game needs a lot of work. You threw out a lot of poorly spaced attacks that got you punished and you made some pretty big mistakes when recovering and getting up from the ledge.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227

Hah, what a jerk. Can you erase that or report him, or will you just leave it as a trophy?

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927

You play too much like me (not campy), you need to play really safe against metaknight since he has the speed to punish whatever laggy move you throw out, use more lemons but keep on moving and jumping, beware of how you recover too, you were recovering from below almost always so he was edgeguarding you pretty easily.

Another thing that you need to do in general but especially against metaknight is to throw out up-airs more, seriously up-air is godlike, remember to use up-smash OOS too, there were some opportunities to use it but you didnt.

Mr.Metal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0860-3619-7626
Your neutral game needs a lot of work. You threw out a lot of poorly spaced attacks that got you punished and you made some pretty big mistakes when recovering and getting up from the ledge.
I understand what I did wrong in my recovery but can you please be more specific as to what I should have done instead during the neutral, as well as to what mistakes I did during the getup situations?

I dont mean to be mean its just that you just telling me " you need to work alot on your neutral, you made alot of mistakes" doesnt really help me at all, can you if you have the time just specify what I misspaced and what critical errors I did in the neutral that you can see? because all I can see and remember from the time was him just straight up outplaying me and being in my head as well as constantly repositioning himself to punish my spacing.

Please just specify if you have the time.

Thanks for your time.

You play too much like me (not campy), you need to play really safe against metaknight since he has the speed to punish whatever laggy move you throw out, use more lemons but keep on moving and jumping, beware of how you recover too, you were recovering from below almost always so he was edgeguarding you pretty easily.

Another thing that you need to do in general but especially against metaknight is to throw out up-airs more, seriously up-air is godlike, remember to use up-smash OOS too, there were some opportunities to use it but you didnt.
yeah the OOS upsmash, I did miss some opportunities. Can you tell me how you would camp out meta knight? as I said in the general MU thread he just straight up dash attacked through my everything (This video doesnt do justice to that since these were later matches after he conditioned me to do what I was doing)

More Uairs is a good idea I restrained from using them since I didnt know the proper spacing for them and got punished alot for doing them (everytime I would throw it out it would get punished, again this video doesnt show that, its actually funny because this video was made with only the matches of pure dominance, he didnt upload the close ones, oh well cant blame him after that sick jab lock match xD)

Thanks for your time man.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
What do you think of this battle agaimst a Luigi? Also how was my commentary? XD I had no script and I was really nervous.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Some shaky stuff Pika Kong! One thing I discovered is that I could use the stand for my WiiU gamepad to hold my phone perfectly level. Rest your phone in it, the smaller one without the charger, and try and tilt it. Your phone should remain level(unless it's too fat to even fit inside), then it's just a matter of stacking a bunch of stuff so the video is eye level to the TV.

Downloaded and will watch in a bit. I may end up editing this post.
That's not a bad idea, actually. Will try this next time I record, thanks. If ya got any advice from my gameplay btw, would really appreciate it

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
That's not a bad idea, actually. Will try this next time I record, thanks. If ya got any advice from my gameplay btw, would really appreciate it
As for a rating, I'd have to say around a 4. I'm seeing a lot of bad decisions, stiff/predictable moves, no aggression/pressure, lax edgegaurding, and far too many missed grabs to ignore. Good shielding and general spacing. You don't seem to be making good use of MB's in hand. Practice more Dair for ledge spiking, short hop Dairs are the best. Time it so your fist is hitting them well before they even get close to the ledge, if you're not early with it you're too late. Full hop Dairs might be slightly safer but much less effective. If you are going to Dair on stage be sure to double jump and don't fast fall. Jump sooner after pellets and try and be more flexible with them. So less standing pellets and more variety(not always a standing 3). Use MB's way more to chase them down in the air. I didn't see any Nair sweetspots. Be a little more mobile when throwing out projectiles, espeically CB and LS. You tend to be grounded when shooting so if they dodge you are a sitting duck. Notice how I always shorthop and keep spacing them.

It's been a while since I posted a vid and I've been having some stellar matches lately.

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
As for a rating, I'd have to say around a 4. I'm seeing a lot of bad decisions, stiff/predictable moves, no aggression/pressure, lax edgegaurding, and far too many missed grabs to ignore. Good shielding and general spacing. You don't seem to be making good use of MB's in hand. Practice more Dair for ledge spiking, short hop Dairs are the best. Time it so your fist is hitting them well before they even get close to the ledge, if you're not early with it you're too late. Full hop Dairs might be slightly safer but much less effective. If you are going to Dair on stage be sure to double jump and don't fast fall. Jump sooner after pellets and try and be more flexible with them. So less standing pellets and more variety(not always a standing 3). Use MB's way more to chase them down in the air. I didn't see any Nair sweetspots. Be a little more mobile when throwing out projectiles, espeically CB and LS. You tend to be grounded when shooting so if they dodge you are a sitting duck. Notice how I always shorthop and keep spacing them.

It's been a while since I posted a vid and I've been having some stellar matches lately.

Dude, those battles were great! You should definitely go to more tournaments and represent us Megamains! Also nice DITCIT near the end!!!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Those were good games, great pellet and techniques.

However those opponents were not very good, try and get vids from smashladder matches.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Thanks. If only I could go to tournaments :( I work nights and weekends so I'm screwed.

Yeah, that vid's Sheik was too single minded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNEuU0-v178 A better Sheik. Plus my channel has more vids. I don't want to post too many in this thread.

I have lots of footage of the past week but my upload speed is slow it's hard to upload much. I'm working on a combo vid now that I have good enough software and I'm also working on a guide.

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Thanks. If only I could go to tournaments :( I work nights and weekends so I'm screwed.

Yeah, that vid's Sheik was too single minded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNEuU0-v178 A better Sheik. Plus my channel has more vids. I don't want to post too many in this thread.

I have lots of footage of the past week but my upload speed is slow it's hard to upload much. I'm working on a combo vid now that I have good enough software and I'm also working on a guide.
Dude, believe me, in my case I struggle for looking for new Megaman battles! I dont know about the other people but its pretty hard for me finding any footage from after the last update

Last edited:

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
A good Sonic from NY or NJ, I forget. Connection was getting laggy in the last 2 matches. Lag spiking hard. Didn't seem to affect him as much xD

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I understand what I did wrong in my recovery but can you please be more specific as to what I should have done instead during the neutral, as well as to what mistakes I did during the getup situations?

I dont mean to be mean its just that you just telling me " you need to work alot on your neutral, you made alot of mistakes" doesnt really help me at all, can you if you have the time just specify what I misspaced and what critical errors I did in the neutral that you can see? because all I can see and remember from the time was him just straight up outplaying me and being in my head as well as constantly repositioning himself to punish my spacing.

Please just specify if you have the time.

Thanks for your time.
Neutral Game: You often threw out attacks that in no way would have ever hit the opponent. You threw out Air Shooters when the opponent was off stage and you were pretty close to the center. You dtilted when the opponent was too far away and you ended your attack right in their punishing range. You threw out fairs and bairs when you were too close to the ground to actually connect with them. Special attack when you were right in your opponent's face (all of Mega Man's specials are very slow). Your neutral game should consist mostly of light pellet and short hops (JUMP 'N' SHOOT!)play while going in for grabs when you get a good read or when they make a mistake.

Off Stage: You opted to fast fall off the stage and then regrab the ledge (which means you lost all invincibility frames). I'd also say you didn't manage your jumps very well as there was one point in the first match where you would have just fallen to your death because you used Rush too early and then tried to double jump back but you were too far out. Like at 5:28, I'm pretty sure you weren't going to grab the ledge because you immediately air dodged out of your double jump after using Rush. But MK hit you so you got Rush back. If you're recovering, your priority should be getting to the ledge (without using your second jump if possible) or recovering high and cancelling the landing lag with pellets or Leaf Shield.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
First 2 replays of mine that a friend shared.
(Skip to 2:40) Careful when using Rush Coil, or else stuff like this happens. A janky match I had online with arguably one of the top Mega Men in my region, and the only other guy I'm competing with for the title of the best Mega Man in our state. I was using :4greninja: in this match, but I killed him in one of the fastest and most hilarious ways possible and I just had to share it. Also the previous replay, has me using MM and wrecking a ROB, nothing amazing since he was kinda simple-minded, but I did feel proud of it nonetheless since I avoided almost all his moves, had better edgeguarding than usual, and I only took 22%.

Also really can't wait for Friday since Youtube replay sharing will be in the update. Because now, I can stop using my crappy phone to record.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Laughing really hard on that slow walk to utilt him after he used down B.

Looks great, but i'm still deeply dissappointed that you can only post replays of 3 minutes or less.
Dissappointed? wut about 3ds users that didnt get neither tourney mode nor youtube..

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Dissappointed? wut about 3ds users that didnt get neither tourney mode nor youtube..
Honestly, considering this 3 minute limit and what i've heard about tourney mode, you ain't missing much.

Still, yeah, 3ds version always get the short end of the stick. Did you guys at least got the stages?

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Honestly, considering this 3 minute limit and what i've heard about tourney mode, you ain't missing much.

Still, yeah, 3ds version always get the short end of the stick. Did you guys at least got the stages?
Yes.. and kk rider thingy

MarioFX

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I have some matches that I would like to receive some feedback on.

Me vs. WS | Boss (:4luigi:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppNmJonzGY

This was my first time ever playing against Boss in singles, and he flexed all over me. It probably didn't help that I had little to no experience in fighting Luigi going into this match either.

Me vs. SOVA Unknown (:4link:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tl1UmxTjas

This was also my first time playing Unknown and the set was going okay until my mindset crumbled during fourth match. Looking back on this set, I really feel like I could've won this, but I was so nervous by the fourth game that I just kind of fell apart.

I know these matches look really bad, but I had been playing great up until then and I actually ended up getting 5th place out of more than 50 people, so it wasn't a total loss. :b:

Thanks in advance for the help you guys!

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Hey guys, I have some matches that I would like to receive some feedback on.

Me vs. WS | Boss (:4luigi:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppNmJonzGY

This was my first time ever playing against Boss in singles, and he flexed all over me. It probably didn't help that I had little to no experience in fighting Luigi going into this match either.

Me vs. SOVA Unknown (:4link:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tl1UmxTjas

This was also my first time playing Unknown and the set was going okay until my mindset crumbled during fourth match. Looking back on this set, I really feel like I could've won this, but I was so nervous by the fourth game that I just kind of fell apart.

I know these matches look really bad, but I had been playing great up until then and I actually ended up getting 5th place out of more than 50 people, so it wasn't a total loss. :b:

Thanks in advance for the help you guys!
Will watch soon. I'll just say now that it's hard to look good when facing Boss' Luigi. No discredit there.
After watching. I'm not even going to comment on the match vs Boss. He outplayed you as he does to many people. Best I can say is figure out how to reset to neutral vs aggressive people like him. Leaf Shield didn't seem to do it as he just ran in and did whatever he wanted.

Vs. Link: Things were going pretty well. Most of his damage dealt came from reading your ledge get-ups. Maybe try dropping down and jumping on stage with nairs.

Last edited:

MarioFX

Smash Rookie
Will watch soon. I'll just say now that it's hard to look good when facing Boss' Luigi. No discredit there.
After watching. I'm not even going to comment on the match vs Boss. He outplayed you as he does to many people. Best I can say is figure out how to reset to neutral vs aggressive people like him. Leaf Shield didn't seem to do it as he just ran in and did whatever he wanted.

Vs. Link: Things were going pretty well. Most of his damage dealt came from reading your ledge get-ups. Maybe try dropping down and jumping on stage with nairs.
Yeah my ledge get-ups are definitely something I need to work on mixing up. I always underestimate how much invincibility I get from normal get up and rolling on stage.

Thanks for the advice though! I'll definitely try to mix up my ledge options with jump up nairs. :)

Top Bottom