• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Anyone ever play a player that did this?

It wasn't until late that I really understood what he was doing. And as annoying as it was, I thought it was rather clever.
Haha, played this exact guy today. I could rarely get a stock off him. Nice work. I learned something from watching you. I was really lost without my blade.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
hey just thought I'd share some matches since it's been a while

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Yeah i've been trying to get it as often as I can for a tutorial I wanted to do using real matches.

In the 2nd match here I had a really hard time trying to win since I don't seem to be able to get around alot of what Wario does, any help would be appreciated.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Doubles custom tournament two days ago, and this s the farthest I have ever gotten in any tournament ever, my partner and I made it to Grand Finals losing to just two of our state's PR members. My partner plays :4yoshi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2841Fi4LDo&feature=youtu.be

http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/b/670908682

http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/b/670917591

I tell ya, this was our first time teaming up, and neither of us expected to get as far as we did so I'm sure he was just as surprised as I was. If anybody's got cool synergy tricks with Yoshi, lay em on me so we can do even better next time. We kinda ran off doing our own things and didn't cooperate as much as we should've, and our opponents in the grand finals set had much better cooperation than we did and are a little more experienced than us in general.

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
Doubles custom tournament two days ago, and this s the farthest I have ever gotten in any tournament ever, my partner and I made it to Grand Finals losing to just two of our state's PR members. My partner plays :4yoshi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2841Fi4LDo&feature=youtu.be

http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/b/670908682

http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/b/670917591

I tell ya, this was our first time teaming up, and neither of us expected to get as far as we did so I'm sure he was just as surprised as I was. If anybody's got cool synergy tricks with Yoshi, lay em on me so we can do even better next time. We kinda ran off doing our own things and didn't cooperate as much as we should've, and our opponents in the grand finals set had much better cooperation than we did and are a little more experienced than us in general.
Hey Pika Kong,

Some of the things Im about to say, is actually what the commentator of the match already mentioned:

Team tips:
- For you as MM, it is okay to use your MB, but try to use Z-drop and throw the blade towards the edge in order to avoid of hitting your partner. Every little damage sums up pretty quickly, so definitely try to minimize team damage.. Only situation you can throw at your partner, when you are trying to safe him when he is grabbed or combo'd.
- On the other hand, Yoshi's nair seems to hit you more than you should. In teams SHIELD IS YOUR BEST FRIEND, cause your partner doesnt have the intentions to hit you, but the possibility is always there.
- The moment when one of your opponents remains (cause the otherone is dying in the background), you both should get in and try to sandwich him. MM's lemons are great to luck him down, so that Yoshi can go for a dash grab/ Dash attack or any other attack.
- I dont usually partner up with Yoshi, but he does have a good dash grab! So try to get creative for example let yoshi dash grab, forward throw into MM fair into Yoshi's Uair ;).

MM general play tips
- Try to mix up your moves, I didnt see any autocancel jump dair or short hop Uairs. FF Uair in particular is a great move to lift oppenents up and combo with Bair or let Yoshi come in.
- A lot of your deaths seem to happen, because you dont preserve your 2nd jump. I know the Shuriken UpB (cant remember the name in this split second xD) comes out slow and is slow, but this is exactly the reason why you should preserve your second jump, cause of the horizontal air mobilty of MM.

Hope it will help you and your partner.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
- I dont usually partner up with Yoshi, but he does have a good dash grab! So try to get creative for example let yoshi dash grab, forward throw into MM fair into Yoshi's Uair ;).
This I disagree with, Yoshi's grab is terrible, actually. Dare I say among the worst grabs in the game, all 3 of them are slow with 14/11/10 frames of startup (most grabs come out in only 6-8 frames) with mediocre range that doesn't really compensate for said startup, takes around as long to come out as :4greninja::4pacman: and :4bowserjr:'s grabs, which is to say, really long. Takes a while to end as well, and Yoshi doesn't even get much of a reward from his grab since his throws have very little combo potential and hardly any kill power, and most of the time he's better off just using his NeutralB instead. Although since this is for teams, I'll try to look and see if I can get cool followups from his throws anyway, could probably at least use Uair after an Fthrow or Bair to volleyball my opponent back at him so he can followup again.

The rest of your post I agree with, will take all of that to heart and try to practice it for next time. Thanks, got a little panicky with my UpB. Thought the double jumping fast thing would get me out of trouble, but instead it got me in trouble.

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
This I disagree with, Yoshi's grab is terrible, actually. Dare I say among the worst grabs in the game, all 3 of them are slow with 14/11/10 frames of startup (most grabs come out in only 6-8 frames) with mediocre range that doesn't really compensate for said startup, takes around as long to come out as :4greninja::4pacman: and :4bowserjr:'s grabs, which is to say, really long. Takes a while to end as well, and Yoshi doesn't even get much of a reward from his grab since his throws have very little combo potential and hardly any kill power, and most of the time he's better off just using his NeutralB instead. Although since this is for teams, I'll try to look and see if I can get cool followups from his throws anyway, could probably at least use Uair after an Fthrow or Bair to volleyball my opponent back at him so he can followup again.

The rest of your post I agree with, will take all of that to heart and try to practice it for next time. Thanks, got a little panicky with my UpB. Thought the double jumping fast thing would get me out of trouble, but instead it got me in trouble.
Its true that his Dash grab is not the best in startup, but Yoshi easily can go for jab, jab, dash grab or soft hit nair into dash grab. This is where the power of his dash grab lies.

Any ways, glad to be of help. In my next tourney I partner up with a lucas. Fsmash & Heal orb = 30% heal >:D!

Last edited:

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Its true that his Dash grab is not the best in startup, but Yoshi easily can go for jab, jab, dash grab or soft hit nair into dash grab. This is where the power of his dash grab lies.

Any ways, glad to be of help. In my next tourney I partner up with a lucas. Fsmash & Heal orb = 30% heal >:D!
any advice you can give me?

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
any advice you can give me?
Haha No problem ;)
+=Positive feedback
- = Encouragement feedback

General overview
+ Nice use of Uairs, espcially on that 2nd kill against Yoshi xD
- Might wanna use more bair, good for KO's
- Try to be more aggressive while edgeguarding
+ Nice Fsmash spacing

Against Yoshi
- Lemons break eggs, so why not use it for spacing

Against Falcon
- This falcon returned several times, quite slow, sooo Leaf shield gimp would be perfect here

Against Wario
At my last tournament I also had to play a skilled wario, so I definively know your struggle :p
- As you probably noticed, regular MB against his Bike doesn't work like in 80% of the time. -> So I advice to Item throw jump cancel your MB, because it comes out faster and to garantee follow-up into grab/Usmash.
- Where is the MB diag into Shoryuken??? He is heavy and has a good comeback, so thats one of the reasons you had a hard time killin him. Shoryuken finishes Wario @ 85% (with FD ceiling).
- At percentages of 150+, a bair can kill at the middle of the stage. Try to short hop bair for Kills, cause Wario's like to short hop nair/fair/bair.

Hope it helped ;)

I have 1 question for you though; Does the Rush trick only work on BF because of the high platform? Or is it just easier?

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
More footage of me from STL's bi-weekly tournaments.
http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/b/671604940
vs :4fox: @ 16:25
vs :4yoshi: @ 1:00:00

Criticisms are very welcome. That Yoshi went on to win the whole tournament.
I watched both your matches.
+=Positive feedback

General overview
+ Like your aerial game, for example after an fair throw MB diag up. Good movement.
+ Nice Sho punishes ;).
- However, it seems when you are at high percentage, especially at the first stocks, you use unsafe moves like falling fair even when the opp doesn't have the much percentage. Just rack up dmg with lemons and wait for your opp to slip, because they are in kill mode :p

+ The 2nd j cancel dairs! I myself like to implement it more in my own game, so its good to see at work.

Against Fox
+ Nice punishes on Fox side B

Against Yoshi
+ Good way to stay in his face at FD.
- The counterpick Dreamland 64 probably wasn't the best choice, because Yoshi's aerials are superior. And towards the end, he was all up in your face and I didn't see in lemons.

Overall, Good MM play!

glenn

Smash Cadet
More footage of me from STL's bi-weekly tournaments.
http://www.twitch.tv/stlbarwarz/b/671604940
vs :4fox: @ 16:25
vs :4yoshi: @ 1:00:00

Criticisms are very welcome. That Yoshi went on to win the whole tournament.
Against Fox, I noticed you did a lot of fast fall BAirs from full hop height to challenge shield and everytime you got punished for it. Might be a subconscious thing, but it's a habit worth breaking. Your mega upper punishes were spot on though, very impressive. I think there may have been more opportunities to intercept fox's firefox recovery. He's very vulnerable off stage when recovering low. Overall, a really good showing though.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Haha No problem ;)
+=Positive feedback

General overview
+ Nice use of Uairs, espcially on that 2nd kill against Yoshi xD
- Might wanna use more bair, good for KO's
- Try to be more aggressive while edgeguarding
+ Nice Fsmash spacing

Against Yoshi
- Lemons break eggs, so why not use it for spacing

Against Falcon
- This falcon returned several times, quite slow, sooo Leaf shield gimp would be perfect here

Against Wario
At my last tournament I also had to play a skilled wario, so I definively know your struggle :p
- As you probably noticed, regular MB against his Bike doesn't work like in 80% of the time. -> So I advice to Item throw jump cancel your MB, because it comes out faster and to garantee follow-up into grab/Usmash.
- Where is the MB diag into Shoryuken??? He is heavy and has a good comeback, so thats one of the reasons you had a hard time killin him. Shoryuken finishes Wario @ 85% (with FD ceiling).
- At percentages of 150+, a bair can kill at the middle of the stage. Try to short hop bair for Kills, cause Wario's like to short hop nair/fair/bair.

Hope it helped ;)

I have 1 question for you though; Does the Rush trick only work on BF because of the high platform? Or is it just easier?
Thanks for the input, yeah the rush coil does kill really easy on BF , it'll do the same on any stage with a platform that high. Honestly the best use of it is to just take away the invincibility from the other player. Not so much trying to kill them. But if you have a stock advantage you can go for it.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Had some intense matches against a Marth

Pretty much all my deaths came from dumb mistakes. That last one I misjudged the bottom killzone :/ Totally could have made it back. Also had some great Mega Man dittos that I'll be uploading soon. Been finding all the great players on FG :D

Mr.Metal

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0860-3619-7626
Due to my Ego constantly getting in the way of my growth as a player I abstained from posting something here, but recently I felt like I need the positive criticism or any criticism in general in order to improve. Any advice you can give me based on these matches oh wise super fighting robots?

(May 15th 2015)
Match starts at: 1:18:01

(June 25th 2015)
Match starts at: 1:48:21

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
In your match vs Falcon, the last one that is, it seem that you lost your flow. You started sideways tossing your metal blade rather than Z dropping it. I would try to make more use of the Metal blade. You have allot of setups off that metal blade so don't count it out.

For killing, it often felt like you wanted to kill with your Dair but you can run off and bair him towards the wall and get an easy kill or even force him to wall tech. Also when your getting back on the stage, don't be afraid to let go of the ledge and come back on with some lemons. I see allot of MM's do this.

Your movement seems fine, same with your lemon game. that's just my input though.

Actually allot of what I said can be seen in the match right after with Goomba, also he uses that super glide toss GDLK

Last edited:

D0U8leB

Smash Rookie
NNID
BaBruce
Due to my Ego constantly getting in the way of my growth as a player I abstained from posting something here, but recently I felt like I need the positive criticism or any criticism in general in order to improve. Any advice you can give me based on these matches oh wise super fighting robots?

(May 15th 2015)

(June 25th 2015)

[+] = Postive feedback
[-] = Constructive feedback

1st Match
G1 Diddy MU
+ Good way to handle Diddy's bananas, and you cover his recoveries pretty well. Looks to me you got the Diddy MU pretty covered ;)
+ Like your Uair FF into quick Bair!

G2&3 Mario MU
This MU can be dookie, but there are ways to counter mario
- LEMONS! Lemon all day! Mario can't do much about it, except not jumping or shielding. Your grab game is pretty good, so try to set up the opp to shield or at least stop his aerial approach.
- Against his fireballs, again lemons are good here and otherwise Leaf shield run through them (not sure, but plant shield starts up slower?)
-! Mario's most of the time KO horizontally with fsmash/dsmash (both moves that are pretty damn quick in recovery) and Upsmash at higher percents, so stages with lower ceiling but wide should be beneficial for you.
- Mario lacks in the recovery department (just like you already demonstrated with the dair ;) ), just get them off stage and follow with Nair or fair.

2nd Match
G1 Falcon MU
+ Nothing really to improve on, good spot dodge into Usmash.

G2
It went pretty well for the first stock and quite unfortunate of the Knee Kill

G3
- It looked to me the Falcon, somehow downloaded ur pattern of usmashes, which he was punishing.
+ The second stock went better cause of the lemons and metal blade
- Towards the end, you stopped using safer options like item throw MB or lemons.

In general:
+ I like your aerial follow-ups after one another!
+ Good spacing with lemons
+ Good spot dodge against falcon
- Aggressive play is always crappy for MM, so try go for lemons and create distance. LS also can stop this partially.
- Especially when @ higher percent, fast fall Fair or Bair against Falcon x(.... They shield and go Fsmash! Used to do this myself alot (temptation is big xD)

Hope this helped ;)

Last edited:

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927

(May 15th 2015)

(June 25th 2015)

@D0U8lD0U's advice is pretty spot on, there isn't much I can add to that but I'll say this:
Always remember that you have more getup options from the ledge than just normal getup, in those 2 sets you would always normal getup and while your opponents really didn't capitalize on that as much as they should, other people will so keep that in mind.
Edit: one quick tip against diddy is when they have a banana in hand, double jump and active leaf shield/plant barrier, diddy can't do much with banana in hand other than throw it so he has to play defensively, you can get a free grab out of this or gain stage control.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
If someone is holding on to your Metal Blade for periods of time, use more pellets. They can't do much against the pressure without their standard attacks.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
New matches. I haven't played in a few weeks so they might not be the best. Set against :4link: was solid. I think it was just to the point where we downloaded each other so hard it was whoever took first stock won.

Please provide feedback. I feel like I have fallen off a little bit and have no idea on what I should work on. :(

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXv9jStw7Vk could someone rate my Lemon play? Btw "Lemon Lock" isnt anyones creation right? It is just a general term for that technique?
You should jump around more while pelleting, instead of just approaching him with f-tilt try going for a nair, or approach with f-tilt then jump back, or just don't approach since they need to approach you (especially since ryu can't do much against pellet spam) :chuckle:

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
New matches. I haven't played in a few weeks so they might not be the best. Set against :4link: was solid. I think it was just to the point where we downloaded each other so hard it was whoever took first stock won.

Please provide feedback. I feel like I have fallen off a little bit and have no idea on what I should work on. :(

I'll say that when you go for dairs while they're trying to grab the ledge, you're not supposed to actually aim for them. You're supposed to aim slightly behind them or slightly in front of them (like their fingers).

AerialNinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
aznninja96
3DS FC
2036-8306-5753
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G_MmjCr4Kjk what do you think of this battles? It was a tournament finals, please give my megaman feedback
For the first match, around the 2:30ish mark you just stopped using pellets completely. There are times when pelleting isn't the right option but not using them at all is not good. You seemed to also do a lot of short hop air dodge approaches once you were behind and got roll spam heavy towards the end of the match. Should tone down the air dodge spam too because it gets pretty predictable. You also could be capitalizing on the Yoshi spamming air dodges as well.

For game 2 I noticed a few times where you threw out the up tilt pretty randomly. You should probably use it less or use it when it's guaranteed since it's not an easy move to land. You also use dair as a punishing option multiple times where you could have baired or grabbed. Dairs start up is too slow to punish a Yoshi's low landing lag on his aerials. Also it seemed like every time you were below Yoshi when recovering your first reaction is to air dodge. Air dodging is fine but you need to mix up the way you return to the stage like a well spaced fair or something.

Overall, work on mixing up your recovery options, tone down the roll and air dodge spam, edge guard more(preferable more bairs than dairs), and use your kill moves more carefully. Should work on power shielding Yoshi's eggs and aerials as well since you whiffed a lot of grabs from not timing your shield effectively.

Last edited:

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
For the first match, around the 2:30ish mark you just stopped using pellets completely. There are times when pelleting isn't the right option but not using them at all is not good. You seemed to also do a lot of short hop air dodge approaches once you were behind and got roll spam heavy towards the end of the match. Should tone down the air dodge spam too because it gets pretty predictable. You also could be capitalizing on the Yoshi spamming air dodges as well.

For game 2 I noticed a few times where you threw out the up tilt pretty randomly. You should probably use it less or use it when it's guaranteed since it's not an easy move to land. You also use dair as a punishing option multiple times where you could have baired or grabbed. Dairs start up is too slow to punish a Yoshi's low landing lag on his aerials. Also it seemed like every time you were below Yoshi when recovering your first reaction is to air dodge. Air dodging is fine but you need to mix up the way you return to the stage like a well spaced fair or something.

Overall, work on mixing up your recovery options, tone down the roll and air dodge spam, edge guard more(preferable more bairs than dairs), and use your kill moves more carefully. Should work on power shielding Yoshi's eggs and aerials as well since you whiffed a lot of grabs from not timing your shield effectively.
Thank you very much for that feedback, to be honest fighting Yoshi nearby is really dangerous for his low ending lag on everything, but Ill try not to spam dair and rolls

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Hey guys I put together this video last night while waiting for more content from the MM players for the community video

This is just a short tutorial of how to use Rush you kill and other uses for it, hope this helps

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'll say that when you go for dairs while they're trying to grab the ledge, you're not supposed to actually aim for them. You're supposed to aim slightly behind them or slightly in front of them (like their fingers).
Explain.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
Guys, not to go off-topic but, do you megaman will ever be tournament relevant? I feel like he was abscent at CEO

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Hey guys I put together this video last night while waiting for more content from the MM players for the community video

This is just a short tutorial of how to use Rush you kill and other uses for it, hope this helps

Well, it does seem nice to use this once in a while, especially when you are up a stock like you said, but if they are mashing A wont they hit you and kill you off the top?

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Well, it does seem nice to use this once in a while, especially when you are up a stock like you said, but if they are mashing A wont they hit you and kill you off the top?
Your right, you can be hit out of this, like the video said, characters like little mac can U+B you. So it's a tool that you don't abuse or it goes dull. I should add that the more prominent (at least to me) use of this is not for the kill but to waste your opponents invincible time. They will have a hard time avoiding the first rush coil on stages like BF. Infact, the act of actively avoiding it is a benefit to you all together. As they are moving away from you, effectively wasting more of their time.

I wouldn't suggest doing this all the time as they will just mash U+B and try to kill you,

Guys, not to go off-topic but, do you megaman will ever be tournament relevant? I feel like he was abscent at CEO
yes, as he has won tournaments and placed in top 16 in tournaments like CEO and APEX, so expect to see more MM's placing.

-Edit
ScAtt actually placed 25th not 16th at CEO with MM
Ninja link placed top 16 at APEX

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G_MmjCr4Kjk what do you think of this battles? It was a tournament finals, please give my megaman feedback
I think you dodge too much and make a lot of unnecessary movements. You would throw out attacks that weren't threatening at times. I am also a firm believer that you should never roll in the same direction more than once in succession.

Also work on recognizing player patterns. That Yoshi would always jump airdodge to approach at a certain range.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I think you dodge too much and make a lot of unnecessary movements. You would throw out attacks that weren't threatening at times. I am also a firm believer that you should never roll in the same direction more than once in succession.

Also work on recognizing player patterns. That Yoshi would always jump airdodge to approach at a certain range.
Any suggestion to avoid closing distance without rolling that much? Or at all if possible?

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Ftilt or just walking/empty jumping is a great space closer. Also you don't have to get in their face right away. Just walk around and keep in range for Metal Blades, Crash Bombs, and Lemons.

Top Bottom