• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
I think you also have to take into consideration the weight of the other character. If you have a character like :4jigglypuff: who is as light as a balloon, you shouldn't use b-throw until she's at kill percent. Meanwhile, if you have a character like :4bowser: who is as heavy as a truck, you should use b-throw a lot more than you usually should since Bowser will live for a long time.

If :4megaman:'s b-throw was even a tier below :4ness::4villager::4tlink:, I would almost always use b-throw at mid or higher percents, which is when d-throw no longer sets up for combos as it launches foes to high. Guts Man's super arm allows Mega Man to lift huge boulders with just one hand and with ease too. Let's also not forget that the little blue guy managed to hold up an entire fortress as it was collapsing in Mega Man 5. Why can't his b-throw be as strong or almost as strong as the one's I've mentioned?

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
https://www.twitch.tv/zekehere/v/73027365 critique me please :D (starts at 02:17:00)
I'll just give you Ness specific information. If you block his PKT2, you can punish with dsmash every time. It's a very reliable way to KO Ness if you can just get to the ground and get your guard up.

When fighting Ness, you actually want to do a more ground based fighting style. His aerials beat out ours when thrown out at the same time and they hurt a lot more.

Ness players always seem to do some sort of ledge jump airdodge when getting back on stage. It's a hard thing to punish but just anticipate them doing it and get the punish.

Also please do pummel when you get a grab. We need all the damage we can get!

Last edited:

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
I'll just give you Ness specific information. If you block his PKT2, you can punish with dsmash every time. It's a very reliable way to KO Ness if you can just get to the ground and get your guard up.

When fighting Ness, you actually want to do a more ground based fighting style. His aerials beat out ours when thrown out at the same time and they hurt a lot more.

Ness players always seem to do some sort of ledge jump airdodge when getting back on stage. It's a hard thing to punish but just anticipate them doing it and get the punish.

Also please do pummel when you get a grab. We need all the damage we can get!
I didn't know there were enough frames for a down smash punish on the PKT2, note taken.

For the most part i like to throw out rar bair on ness since i know he likes to jump a lot, but i do get that lemons and diagonal metal blades are pretty good too, i'll mix it up more.

It's honestly pretty obvious that ness wants to double jump air dodge since his air dodge is so good, i just misstimed my punishes plus online doesnt help (lag johns :p).

I honestly only pummel at high percents and even then i forget about it sometimes haha.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Dezmu Dezmu I think you need to go for more Up air traps in neutral in these games vs Link, you need to land some damage outside of MBs, shields and pellets. That and some correctly spaced aerial MBs for guaranteed dmg combos.

Last edited:

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Here is a prime example of how to wall someone out with pellets.

Dezmu, I'll give it a watch after work.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

My least favorite matchup
3 things from what I watched:

• It looked to me like sometimes, you were shooting out hitboxes in hopes that they would hit (and tbh, this Link let himself get hit by them a bit often), like the times you were using dash attack, numerous Fsmashes, Crash Bombers, and Straight Tossed Metal Blades at mid-range, and fishing for grabs with Leaf Shield quite often. You seem to play over-aggressively without enough patience or awareness of what your opponent's doing, I think you should work on being more patient and play more reactively. Annoy him with your low-risk low reward moves and wait until he over commits to something, then punish with a high-risk, reward move afterwards. Its Mega Man's specialty after all, and our projectile game beats Link's in this MU.
  • At least in this game, your punish game was kinda weak if I'm honest. I know that damage output isn't one of :4megaman:'s strong points, but aside from playing more reactively I think you could also work on choosing a few more optimal punishes: For one, Link's recovery isn't really great with his terrible Air Speed, and yet you let him come back for free quite a lot of the time (or SD in early game 3) and you seem to rely too much on Leaf Shield for gimping when there were times Z-Drop MBs, Dair, or Bair would have done a better job. I do remember seeing many (if any) Dthrow combos, Dthrow > Bair is great at low % while it works and these games were missing it, a few more Uairs couldn't hurt either. Aside from the occassional DITCIT or Metal Blade > Utilt, you tossed them straightforward far too often at mid range, you didn't get much from that and he seemed to catch on pretty quickly. You could've at least gotten more damage if you used the item version more often; do more damage and fly faster that way and can link into a Bair kill confirm if you're quick enough, along with Zdrop shenanigans.
  • Your movement and lemon play was a bit stiff, you have a tendency to roll a bit and you come to a rugged stop after shooting 2-3 lemons and you wound up too close to him for them to be safe or he could get by more easily than he should. Zucco made a video on how to bounce with one lemon at a time, so seeing it might help you a bit Not much else to say here. Your lemon play was better in the last game though.
Judging from what I'm seeing here your MM isn't exactly bad but it needs work imo, or maybe you were having an off day. Either way, its entirely possible for you to improve if you put in the work, your technical skill seems great at least so there's a start. Good Luck :p

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Rush 2112 Rush 2112 I don't know what it is, but none of your videos work for me. They just buffer forever.
Really? What a downer. Are you using a browser or phone app? Is it just my channel or any others? Not sure what else can be done for that other than reboot modem and reset browser/clear files.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I'm using my computer. I use youtube all the time for music and videos...for some reason yours won't play for me even after a reset. Have you confirmed that other people can see your vids okay?

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Im back home now after a week vacation. My ban was lifted so got to play 3 games this morning before work.
However I saved a replay of a game vs Marth. Nothing special here but things to look for is how a string of 3 short hop pellets into up air/back air looks like. Also you can see that I change direction 2 times in the string. Also you can see how powerful the pellet Mb pickup into sh zdrop turnaround up tilt is.

Bonus clip! I played a Ganon as well. Mega Man can't sleep on Ganon, we totally dominate him but a couple of mistakes and it can be your stock. I was very surprised to get me shield broken in this game

Mega Man demolishes close range fighters in neutral

Last edited:

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
A little combo vid I put together, let me know what you think

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Funkermonster Funkermonster Thanks, I didn't know Scatt was at Xanadu. I'd have made the trip out if I did. So now that we have videos of Boss and Scatt going to last hit consistently, can we put to rest the misconception that we have an advantage on Luigi?

glenn

Smash Cadet
Im back home now after a week vacation. My ban was lifted so got to play 3 games this morning before work.
However I saved a replay of a game vs Marth. Nothing special here but things to look for is how a string of 3 short hop pellets into up air/back air looks like. Also you can see that I change direction 2 times in the string. Also you can see how powerful the pellet Mb pickup into sh zdrop turnaround up tilt is.

Bonus clip! I played a Ganon as well. Mega Man can't sleep on Ganon, we totally dominate him but a couple of mistakes and it can be your stock. I was very surprised to get me shield broken in this game

Mega Man demolishes close range fighters in neutral
Wreck33, those pellet string pickups, to reverse zdrop, uptilt are beautiful. I notice you seem to get lots of kills from uptilt. I need to incorporate it into my game.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
glenn glenn ye its great in neutral, incorperate it!

Sleek Media Sleek Media I dont think so. We have advantage. But its smash 4 its only ever a slight advantage. Almost even. Every body is carried by smash 4 as a game and how it works.
But yeah luigi is one of megas better Mus but still almost even.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
glenn glenn ye its great in neutral, incorperate it!

Sleek Media Sleek Media I dont think so. We have advantage. But its smash 4 its only ever a slight advantage. Almost even. Every body is carried by smash 4 as a game and how it works.
But yeah luigi is one of megas better Mus but still almost even.
What's the advantage? Pellets in neutral? Scatt took 70%+ off a grab at low %. It's well accepted that he's a higher ranked player than Boss, and he still barely edged out the wins.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Sleek Media Sleek Media Mainly my opinion is based on how easy this MU is to control, Luigis recovery and from my own experience playing against Luigi, but like you say Luigi like other toons do a lot of damage when they hit you with certain attacks at low percent. Like most of the cast we are pretty evenly matched due to our low damage output and no great kill game we can just as well lose games.
But every MU where we have an advantage in neutral I hold as a positive MU.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, smasher1001 here! Figured I'd post some vids since it's been awhile. Alot of what I think to be some really great (in both good and bad ways lol) gameplay. Got 2 sets against Rayquaza(3rd in our PR this season, I'm 9th comparatively) in winners and Grands. We lack any good rosa's aside from him and he often doesn't get to show up to events, so it was a good chance to work on the matchup experience. If you guys can provide any critique, both good and bad things to note/what could have been done better vs him that would be fantastic! That said, I'm posting all of the matches for anyone who feels that they would enjoy watching them all!

Smasher1001:4megaman:v ARG:4cloud:Winners R3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIDuk1cDT1A
Smasher1001:4megaman:v Zyth:4feroy::4sonic:Winners R4(Quarters)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhOeBQ-8im8
Smasher1001:4megaman:v Swanky:4diddy:Losers Finals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq66K-tgY3I
Smasher1001:4megaman:v Rayquaza:rosalina:Winners Finals

Smasher1001:4megaman:v Rayquaza:rosalina:Grand Finals

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Seems like you improved a bit Smasher1001. Looks good. A little unsafe at times.

In this video I try to show a very strong way to play neutral with Mega Man using handheld MB and pellets together.
Using MB like this adds a lot of extra damage in neutral unlike just using pellets. If you can combine this neutral with landing a falling up air at some point its really hard to win vs Mega Man.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Seems like you improved a bit Smasher1001. Looks good. A little unsafe at times.

In this video I try to show a very strong way to play neutral with Mega Man using handheld MB and pellets together.
Using MB like this adds a lot of extra damage in neutral unlike just using pellets. If you can combine this neutral with landing a falling up air at some point its really hard to win vs Mega Man.

Watching your demos makes me realize that I need to work on my pellet game.
On a side note, I've noticed that you used Leaf Shield off stage sometimes. How did you manage to get rid of it quickly and have enough time to recover? When that happens to me, I usually fail and lose the game.

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
Watching your demos makes me realize that I need to work on my pellet game.
On a side note, I've noticed that you used Leaf Shield off stage sometimes. How did you manage to get rid of it quickly and have enough time to recover? When that happens to me, I usually fail and lose the game.
I don't think it's a matter of it going away quickly but aware of how long it stays in affect for. Also, he had a jump left which helped him get back. Finally, I find that letting it die out rather than throwing it out off stage gets rid of it quicker.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Yes when you have jump summoning the leaf shield and throwing it is always possible if you can recover.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Wreck33 Wreck33 lets see some matches that aren't on for glory . You do a lot of laggy moves when the opponent is in punishing range.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
its for glory as you say and options are selected after quality of opponent. I play very safe when I play to win. outside of a couple of calculated risks.

Red Shirt KRT Red Shirt KRT looked at your youtube. Why do you full jump pellet like that? Its no good. You should short hop pellet Roy so you kill his entire game.

I really good way to land the up air damage combo is to sneak it in when you space around shooting pellets.
Like how I finish the 1st stick vs this G&W.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
That is some good stuff smasher. He rarely doesn't have MB in hand. I like how he was using leaf shield to get easier footstool to jab lock combos that was interesting.

He is ok for glory tho so hard to say if he is facing a decent player. Most of them looked pretty bad.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Exactly @Smasher 101, I try to always have MB in hand too. I find though that the better techs you can do with it in hand are hard to execute online except on the bestest connection. I disagree If you know your stuff you see if somebody is good or not. So many players that go to alot of tournaments are terrible. This on for glory statement is more of a joke then a truth. You get everything in for glory, baddies and monsters, its a big difference with online and offline though.

The mega man here has major flaws in some areas that he somewhat compensate with I would say new setups. Alot of new setups to utilize for all Mega Mans. Great post.

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
The above setup works alot of the time, also because players sees that Mega Man is so far away and think its safe to recover with the double jump. But naaaaa bambozeled.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Just posting this here again, since it fits better here.

--- , Forgive us for not following the rules plz
:sadeyes:
How come no one has ever told me that Mega Man obtained the weapon "Land Trap" from the robot master Bait Man? I must be living under a Rock, Man.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
That full jump zdrop to jump down B is a great mixup to throw in. Also the ledge guard full jump zdrop to jump z regrab to zdrop served me well today.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So, i was browsing around the web today and found this short playlist of a megaman. The guy has some REALLY interesting playstyle choices that I'm thinking I might try to focus on for awhile to expand my playstyle options further. I'd be quite curious to hear what your guys thoughts are on this japanese megamans style 0.o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-ZRyQhyuI8&list=PLSKp_VHwSycUumT8WzJ1LM0YgOgHd7Nw3&index=1
Oooooo, I like this dude.

A fast paced unique mega man who utilizes movement for more than walling. LOVIN' it

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Came across a try hard Mario..Bodied. He CP Rosalina next game.. Bodied.
Picks ZSS next game thinking he will at least win this one.... Soul stolen.

Last edited:

Eren Swaeger

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mechs246
3DS FC
0533-6950-4814
give me feedback on what u can improve on and stuff I did good on. Sry if I'm too vague.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Average Opponent aside..... I Finally ****ing did it.

This is what happens when you steal
my Corrin color

Top Bottom