• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
@Eren Swaeger now this was a friendly so its allowed to go for unsafe stuff that maybe works 50% of the time and the other 50 it means you get punished for a roughly 20-30%. 20XX Mega Man can be played bulletprof with a complete dominance in neutral and thanks to knockback nair, grabs and MB confirms you should in tournament battles use only them attacks in neutral bar throwing out a up air trap at some point to try to get a big lead. Outside of that its when the opponent is off stage you use the pressure and frame advantage situation to try to get their stocks. Point is never go yolo ever as MM in tournament. Just learn all the pellet strings and how to use them together for maximum walls, its very important that you incorperate handheld MBs in the neutral. You get those by throwing them downwards when airborne and pick them up with jab, ftilt or nairs.
Playstyle in video will get you nowhere so back to the drawing board if success is what you are after otherwise just do what makes you have fun.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, most intersting video I found to be the Felix one, no offense but that Mega Man play is not good and still doesnt get completly bodied by a player like Nietono. Speaks volumes to me.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Was really impressed with Locke. He's got great movement and displayed a lot of accuracy against Diddy Kong. Only things I didn't like were a couple of rolls he did, f-smash when Diddy was above him as he was trying to catch his landing but then Diddy used his dj and then was able to punish, and sour spotted u-tilt twice. Other than that, pretty solid to say the least.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Footage showing how powerful pellets to zdrop is as well as spacing 3 pellets to up air.

Last edited:

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Wreck33 Wreck33 Now I'm reminded to do more falling U-Airs, but every time I try it, I never seem to get the Air Shooter out. Maybe I'm too low to the ground when doing them?
Also, how optimal is falling Leaf Shield?

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Wreck33 Wreck33 Now I'm reminded to do more falling U-Airs, but every time I try it, I never seem to get the Air Shooter out. Maybe I'm too low to the ground when doing them?
Also, how optimal is falling Leaf Shield?
Mega Man's short hop air time is around 29 frames, full hop air time is around 51 frames, and air shooter comes out at frame 11. So you have a time window at around 17-18 frames to get air shooter out as close as possible to the ground before it doesn't come out from a short hop and 39-40 frames from a hull hop.

As for falling leaf shield, it depends on where you and your opponent are. The first active hitbox for leaf shield is at around frame 50 and even then, some characters and moves can just flat out disrespect it. It's most optimal when you have the stage under you while your opponent is far enough away so that they can't punish and if they can get in in time, air dodge while moving away. If there is one thing that we've learned from watching Kameme is that falling leafshield while offstage in a disadvantage state can be a really bad option.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I want to take some time to highlight another fellow Mega Main:
Grandtale shows a lot of promise, but I feel that he could be a little less aggressive when he's behind. Otherwise, he won this tournament, so that deserves some attention. :p

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
The mod probably doesn't show item hitboxes. It's probably slightly larger than the blade its self.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
What makes you say that? The hitbox on all other projectiles seem to be smaller than the graphic

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Metal Blade has that little whirly effect when you throw it so I was guessing that the hitbox is at least that big.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
From my first tourney win yesterday, got a recording of my Grand Finals run, which went with a bracket reset. Used :4greninja: for 2 games, but went The Blue Bomber for the rest of it Gonna get this out of the way: I have basically no idea what to do against Sheik (aside from my terrible DI), when fighting him I felt so terrified and so limited after Game 2 that I ran out of ideas of what to do and just resorted to lemoning and Uairing my way out. Didn't even start using the Metal Blades very much until the near end, its as if I became totally clueless and played more even more predictably than normally.

https://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/v/83483714?t=01h56m38s

Constructive Critismm more than welcome, could really use it now.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
From my first tourney win yesterday, got a recording of my Grand Finals run, which went with a bracket reset. Used :4greninja: for 2 games, but went The Blue Bomber for the rest of it Gonna get this out of the way: I have basically no idea what to do against Sheik (aside from my terrible DI), when fighting him I felt so terrified and so limited after Game 2 that I ran out of ideas of what to do and just resorted to lemoning and Uairing my way out. Didn't even start using the Metal Blades very much until the near end, its as if I became totally clueless and played more even more predictably than normally.

Sheik's a tough one to beat, bro. How do Corrin and Greninja fair against her? I'd suggest using them over Megs against Sheik.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115

Minimize rolling and charge shot and only use slide/d-tilt for some small punishes when you're out of u-tilt range. If anything though, I'd probably use Greninja against Shiek instead of Mega Man or at least more often as it seemed like you were having a lot of success in Game 5 of the 2nd set of Grand Finals. Then again though, I'm not too familiar with Greninja's match up spread other than maybe his worst match ups being Shiek and Sonic?

Let me ask you this. Is it harder for you playing against Shiek as Mega Man, Greninja, or is it one of those roller coaster rides where it seems like every match/set/day/etc. it goes back and forth?

EDIT: Also, congrats on your first Smash 4 tourney win! :) Hopefully this is only the beginning for you and not a one time thing.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Somebody please... kill me now :urg:

Joke aside, I finally get to play on stream after a long time... and here this is by far the most embarrassing set loss I've ever suffered. I still fought my way through losers though and ended up outplacing him slightly anyway, so its not all bad.

But I know its inevitable that I'll soon play him again, and never again do I wish to go out like this so... halp. :teeth:

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Fox is a hard MU IMO... But really, taking him to Battlefield is a huge mistake already XD

Take him somewhere else first, then use Leaf Shield. Since he can just get in your face so fast, try to get a blank point NAir, then activate it. Jab can help if he tries rushing you down on the ground, since it might stop him :p
But really, Leaf Shield is a life saver here XD

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
It almost seems like there is no solid stage counterpick against Fox. Dream Land is very similar to Battlefield and one can argue that those type of stages benefit Fox more than us because he can keep the uair strings going and even kill us early on the top platform as oppose to us sharking air shooters that can be reflected, Town & City is a no, and Duck Hunt encourages Fox to laser camp despite our crouch being so low that we won't get hit. But if Fox has the lead, we have to approach him. I guess Smashville, Final Destination, and Lylat Cruise might be our best choices. Even then, I still feel like I don't have a clue.

I would find it ironic if Lylat Cruise would be our best option since you would think Fox would have home field advantage. Still though, we need at least 2 stages where we can do well at because if we only have 1 stage that we're good at, that stage is going to get banned right?

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
I feel we slightly lose the Fox MU at Dreamland and Battlefield but slighly win on duck hunt, smashville, town and city and all omega stages.

Last edited:

GrandTale

Smash Rookie
Thank you Mega-Spider for the nice words on that match. I know I play too aggressive (I main grapplers in other fighting games, I actually hate using projectilers) but I'm trying to improve. I'd love some tips if there's something I'm doing wrong or you see something I can improve on.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Thank you Mega-Spider for the nice words on that match. I know I play too aggressive (I main grapplers in other fighting games, I actually hate using projectilers) but I'm trying to improve. I'd love some tips if there's something I'm doing wrong or you see something I can improve on.
Yeah, pretty much what Mega-Spider Mega-Spider said. Try playing more safe because there were several times during that grand finals set against Bowser where you could've easily been punished. I kind of get it though that you can't play as well defensively against Bowser compared to most of the cast as he is doesn't flinch whenever he gets hit by lemons. Still though, playing a linear aggressive style can sometimes put you in a bad spot; even costing you a stock. None the less though, congrats on your performance and hopefully we'll get to see more of you doing well in the future.

BTW. You mentioned that you main grapplers in other fighting games. Have you considered having a grappler like Bowser or Donkey Kong as a secondary/pocket option if you don't have one already?

GrandTale

Smash Rookie
Yeah, pretty much what Mega-Spider Mega-Spider said. Try playing more safe because there were several times during that grand finals set against Bowser where you could've easily been punished. I kind of get it though that you can't play as well defensively against Bowser compared to most of the cast as he is doesn't flinch whenever he gets hit by lemons. Still though, playing a linear aggressive style can sometimes put you in a bad spot; even costing you a stock. None the less though, congrats on your performance and hopefully we'll get to see more of you doing well in the future.

BTW. You mentioned that you main grapplers in other fighting games. Have you considered having a grappler like Bowser or Donkey Kong as a secondary/pocket option if you don't have one already?
I actually have Bowser and DeDeDe as secondaries and i played luigi back when he was a major threat before patches. The main reason I could get away with stuff like I did in the video is because I've been going to that local a lot so I know how the people play, especially the bowser (he started picking up Bowser so i gave him tips and he improved way more then I did). My main problem though is no matter what fighting game I always lose to defensive play, I just can't seem to get past blocking so I rely on grabbing to help.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, been a bit since I posted. I've got some really solid sets here for you guys to watch. Got some rarely seen tech that I tried (and did suceed a few times pulled off in tourney (1 success vs miloni and 2 successes vs ryuga with the tech) :3 I hope you guys enjoy! As time goes on, you'll be seeing more of this since I'm going to get alot better at it and make myself consistent. This was michigans tournament breakout 5, we had 120+ players including a few from out of state, I placed 4th!

Smasher1001 (Mega Man) vs ENG|Miloni (Cloud)

Smasher1001 (Mega Man) vs E2C|Colinies (Fox)

Adorable Knight (Greninja) vs Smasher1001 (Mega Man)

Pulse|Ryuga (Corrin) vs Smasher1001 (Mega Man)

Last edited:

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Solid play. I've been trying to work that tech in myself.

I think that falling uair is a bad option for approaching. It's better as a follow up or read. For the couple you may have hit there were way more that flopped. Especially when you are coming back from off stage.

Dezmu

Smash Ace
NNID
Dezmu780
3DS FC
1435-5832-6827
Solid play. I've been trying to work that tech in myself.

I think that falling uair is a bad option for approaching. It's better as a follow up or read. For the couple you may have hit there were way more that flopped. Especially when you are coming back from off stage.
Are you coming to Canada Cup finally?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
In that final game versus the Fox player, he was recovering by using Fox Illusion over your head a number of times, I assume because he got tired of getting hit by MB and pellets when he tried to do it at ground level... In that situation I use up-smash, which can catch that if Fox is low enough (which he was a few times). Of course, when *I* do it, I tend to use it when the opponent is just out of range (but it's hard for them to punish since they're in the middle of doing something as well).

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
In that final game versus the Fox player, he was recovering by using Fox Illusion over your head a number of times, I assume because he got tired of getting hit by MB and pellets when he tried to do it at ground level... In that situation I use up-smash, which can catch that if Fox is low enough (which he was a few times). Of course, when *I* do it, I tend to use it when the opponent is just out of range (but it's hard for them to punish since they're in the middle of doing something as well).
I should do this, you are 100% right. I will work on adding this immediately lol. Thanks!

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
Oh snap, you noticed that lol. Thanks! I finally feel like I started to learn the Wario matchup yesterday after several prior sets with LOE1 split across the last few months, he tends to avoid friendlies with me to avoid giving me any matchup exp vs him so i have to force it in tournies (this tourny since I came in from winners I actually got 9 games of exp vs him, really helpful X.X) I wanna get good nuff to impress people and win tournies consistently instead of just placing high!

On a separate note, I've been labbing the infinite hardcore and feel like it's gonna massively change megas meta if he can kill you from any percent for a single footstool combo. Step one is to become super consistent in training with it which im making good progress on. Step 2 is learning to actively look for it in matches without losing focus on everything else I can do. Step 3 is learning how the fear of it changes the play of my opponent and making better reads off of that ( so far it seems like people become more afraid to jump at you meaning you see more grounded approaches which are often grabs and throwing blade can stuff that and help tempt them to jump at you more if they fail to reach you) at least, those are my thoughts so far.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Dezmu Dezmu Try and mix up your ledge guards. Bair them into the stage sometimes. With LS try and fall offstage for the footstool gimp. If you miss you will just jump back to the stage.

I like shooting my gun. I went to my first local tournament a few months back and I heard someone say "He plays it like a Mega Man game" xD

Last edited:
Top Bottom