• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down B Counter--Anyone use it?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
^ I use it agaist falcos laser, because although he is speedy, the laser causes enough lag to let me get that good ol counter tipper in

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
I use it only when I'm 100% sure an attack will hit me,
Marth's counter has an awkwardly longer window period for the counter to be a success as compared to Roy's...
Switching to Marth made me stop countering as Roy, I lost the timing.
As you can tell from my sig, I abuse counter once I find your pattern of play.
I'm mostly screwed otherwise.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
There are a few occasions where I use it.

Against CF's fair first of all, because the thing is so ****ed powerful and quick. Generally, the CFs I play commit to the attack early, so the counter isn't hard to pull off, just gotta remember to do it.

Falco. SHL'ers often get overconfident after pillaring me all over so I counter them when they get in range of my sword. No hit from the laser, hits Falco towards the ground and allows me to wavedash into tipper range for my sword.

Fox/Sheik. I play against a single Fox and a single Sheik. Both can absolutely **** me with some of their combos so after getting hit with them 2-3 times, tossing in a counter throws off their game. The Sheik I play with tends to use his charged needles in close range, so countering them works well.

Frankly, the counter is underrated and could be used more often. Use it once, but don't let them feint you into using it again for a bit. If you hit a person 2/2 times on a counter, it'll play with their head 80% of the time. If you're on the ground and you see the opportunity, wavedash back to fsmash as they die a little inside from wounded pride.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
If you're on the ground and you see the opportunity, wavedash back to fsmash as they die a little inside from wounded pride.
That's the Gt Combo lol.
If it works, it's a serious dignity depleter, like when you slap someone in the face.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
I can't exactly say I'm one of the best Marth players (I can barely wavedash) but there are a few times when the counter comes in handy. Scenario 1: some noob is just standing somewhere charging a smash move hoping i'll be stupid enough to run into it, Scenario 2:There's a huge brawl in the middle of the field and I can't break it up, Scenario 3: I'm trying to recover and someone keeps smashing me off

These situations might not happen as much with players who are better than me, but thats when I use the counter.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
I can't exactly say I'm one of the best Marth players (I can barely wavedash) but there are a few times when the counter comes in handy. Scenario 1: some noob is just standing somewhere charging a smash move hoping i'll be stupid enough to run into it, Scenario 2:There's a huge brawl in the middle of the field and I can't break it up, Scenario 3: I'm trying to recover and someone keeps smashing me off

These situations might not happen as much with players who are better than me, but thats when I use the counter.
u shouldnt use counter when someone is charging a smash and hoping u would run into it.
if u are off by a even 0.01 second, ud get hit by the smash, and theres nothing for u to gain.

if someone were to charge their smash, im assuming ur marth since ur talking about counters, u should charge ur smash too, in a good distance away from him so he cant hit u, and once he lets go, u let go of urs and hit him.

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
i rarley counter. its always fun to counter the opponent when they are recovering though. it makes it very hard for them to recover again. but if you use the counter alot... 1. you get extremely predictable 2. it is very slow, so if an opponent thinks your gonna counter and dont attack then they have plenty of time to get a good hit on you.

Marthpaladin

Smash Rookie
In my experience, counter is nvr really needed becuase I don't get in huge combos such as Falco's shine combos. I don't like to take risks of using counter, but I probably should use it a little more often for lowering my opponents moral and to improve my mind games.

Of course, I nvr have participated in any high lvl of play and no1 I have played is comparable to me.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
It has several excellent uses:

1) Against edge-hopped attacks (especially Yoshi, who just falls away to his death)
2) To mindgame people's get-up attacks
3) To stop a combo
4) To jump out and intercept someones recovery (especially Fox, Young Link, etc.)

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
It has several excellent uses:

1) Against edge-hopped attacks (especially Yoshi, who just falls away to his death)
2) To mindgame people's get-up attacks
3) To stop a combo
4) To jump out and intercept someones recovery (especially Fox, Young Link, etc.)
4) Maybe I'm not doing it right, but both of Fox's recoveries blow through Counter. Fire Fox hits you with fire and stops your swing, Phantasm moves so quickly through it (most of the time) you won't get a hit.

2) Also, on the get-up attack, after two or so of them, the lag is so bad that rolling away to a tilt/grab/smash is a viable counter to your Counter.

1+3 are good and legitimate strategies though.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
Firefox shouldn't hit you at all if you time it decently right, you don't have to be right on, a little early is fine due to the length of time marth can counter, compared to roy, but the Phantasm is special in that fox or falco is ahead of the actual hitbox of the move and for counter to work, an opponent's hitbox has to hit him while flashing and since the hitbox is behind fox or falco, marth will wait until fox or falco passes him and the hitbox makes contact causing him to swing late.

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
I use it alot. That being said it can slow you down if you don't use it right. For example if you miss. Did you see the Ken vs. Isai match when Ken missed that counter? X_X ouch that's gunna hurt, but yeah use it if you think you can predict your opponents moves well enough. If it hits you can bring a pretty good combo out of it, or use it to put people in the hole, but if you missed your pretty much screwed.

u shouldnt use counter when someone is charging a smash and hoping u would run into it.
if u are off by a even 0.01 second, ud get hit by the smash, and theres nothing for u to gain.

if someone were to charge their smash, im assuming ur marth since ur talking about counters, u should charge ur smash too, in a good distance away from him so he cant hit u, and once he lets go, u let go of urs and hit him.
I used to do that, but I find that the dash attack followed by A shffl is more use full. Or you jump into them with a counter which is allways fun.

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
Nice sig Seyasha, you got 2 pics of Ingus in there though, is he like your fave character or something?
I think Nightmare is way more kickass, especially as Sigfreid

Back to topic,
Nightblade, Fire Fox doesn't "blow through" counter, what kinda crack are you on?
I understand the phantasm not hitting, but the only time fire fox hits through a counter is when your too late at starting the counter, or too slow.
The timing's not hard to get down, with Marth it's a millisecond after the movement starts,
With Roy it's .5 seconds after the movement starts.
Also, since I switched to Marth my Roy counter timing has kinda gone to the ****s, has anyone else experienced that?

Seyasha

Smash Apprentice
Nice sig Seyasha, you got 2 pics of Ingus in there though, is he like your fave character or something?
I think Nightmare is way more kickass, especially as Sigfreid

Back to topic,
Nightblade, Fire Fox doesn't "blow through" counter, what kinda crack are you on?
I understand the phantasm not hitting, but the only time fire fox hits through a counter is when your too late at starting the counter, or too slow.
The timing's not hard to get down, with Marth it's a millisecond after the movement starts,
With Roy it's .5 seconds after the movement starts.
Also, since I switched to Marth my Roy counter timing has kinda gone to the ****s, has anyone else experienced that?
Ingus pwns all. I wanted his animated self as kinda of... I don't know what the word is :laugh:.

Firefox doesn't stand a CHANCE against the counter, it sends them right into the hole., or it may be every I counbter against has terrible DI. If you can predict your enemies movements it's a pretty easy move to use. Going from Roy to Marth screwed me up so much it wasn't even funny.

Top Bottom