• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down B Counter--Anyone use it?

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
All of the best Marth players I know don't use Marth's down+B counter, and when I ask them why they say they don't need to. I play Peach, and I've gotten some pretty good hits on these Marth players because I was doing some pretty unpredictable stuff with her, and I know for a fact that if they would just use their counter attacks I would have lost matches that I won.
I understand that Marth is a fast character and the counter slows him down, and besides I used to play Roy and if he's anything like Marth, there's an annoying idiotic lag after the counter, so I'm not saying use it a lot, but I'm just asking:
Do any Marth players out here use the down+b counter attack?

AS Money

Smash Lord
yes just not a lot it dose slow him down and the lag when you **** up sets up for perfect combo oppertunitys for your opponent

i counter sparingly maybe once a match if that

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i barely counter, however sometimes against sheik or falco, theres combos they set up using the same technique, and its hard to get out of, so i just use counter, cause i kno almost 100% they are going to attack me. (eg. sheik dthrow to uair/fair, after the dthrow i use counter)

i never use it as anything else like stand there and counter, the punishment that can be received doesnt make up for the counter damage and knockback that u could give them.

otherwise, when i use counter would probably be... once every 20-30 games?

RisingKen

Smash Cadet
The only time I really use counter is if someone uses a really fast character like fox or falco and I feel I don't have any other option at the time.

So basically as a last resort, yeah.

AS Money

Smash Lord
The only time I really use counter is if someone uses a really fast character like fox or falco and I feel I don't have any other option at the time.

careful dude they are fast and the counter dosn't come out the fastest a quick normal swipe may stop them a bit better than the counter and less lag

Vall3y

Smash Lord
i think counter is underated
ofcourse it shouldnt be used alot, more like berly used
but in some situations its just ideal
for example, its great to punish ledgehopped attacks
its also great when you are coming down from high and the opponent jumps to hit you (if he reacts in time to not attack then he should fall down now and not hit you anyway lol !)
ken also used it often versus falcos that go very predictible with their approach
yeah pretty underated

flaco

The Terminator
Well I have seen thread before anyway's um I use the counter yes but don't over use it or you will get punished for it,don't get predictable with it.

ManchaAviator

Smash Rookie

How does it help against fast players?:confused:

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Yeah, I occasionally use it, but I only use it as a LAST RESORT. If Im getting combo'd really bad I might use it, but you have to be sure and do it at the right time, or else they will combo you even more. Only use it when yuo know for a fact that they are going to hit you.

metroidmania

Smash Cadet
How does it help against fast players?:confused:
I'm not a Marth player but I played Roy, so I can tell you...

Against fast players, if they have an obvious "I'm going to dash attack you from far away and combo it!" approach, then a counter is ideal because it's a really good way to catch speedsters off guard. Some Marth players have caught me like that when I dash, and it screws me up really badly.
(and when i say attack from far away, i don't mean across the entire stage.)

applejack

Smash Journeyman
I often use it when they are on the ground and they try to do the rise attack (when on the ground push A to attack, don't know the technical term), if you are in the right spot then you counter their attack and they are on the ground again.
I also use it when somebody edge guards me.

A well timed counter can change the flow of the whole fight.

Marth230

Smash Cadet
I use this about 2-3 times a fight, only if I need to. Its best used if somebody knocks you up with a fsmash and you are falling above them, and DI cant escape his range. Use this, and counter their utilt or another fsmash. Works good to me.

flaco

The Terminator
Counter is awesome, I use it quite often when I play Marth.
Well is good to use but don't over use it or you will get punished for it trust me also marth gots a better move that the counter or should I say technic is called wd back to fsmash or wd forward to dash dance to fsmash marth gots a complex game thats why I main him.

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
Well, Roy's timing is harder than Marths, but then again his counter does 1.5X damage! So counter a predictable, strong, attack.. and BAM! They're dead. Imagine countering a Warlock punch, so all of the damage will go back to them, with even more damage then before!

Well, I kind of have this thing where I can easily tell what my opponent is going to do in a fight, (Real life or in Smash) so I know if their move is woth countering, and when I should counter. But the only thing is that most of the time, even if I can anticipate somebody else's move, I don't have good enough relexes to think up a way to counter it. (Other than to Counter, of course) :p

But don't spam Counter, or else your enemy will do some clever wavedashing or dash dancing, and you'll be left hanging out in the open.

And so yeah. That's my Counter speech.

Switchblades

Smash Apprentice
The characters I mainly play against are Ganondorf, Falco, Sheik, and Marth (on occasion for the last one).

The Ganondorf I try to counter, because, well, the attacks are simply devastating. My favorite time to counter is when Im edgeguarded with his dair, it completely throws the player for a loop.

Against Falco and Sheik, I rarely counter, just because of the speed of the attacks; if I miss, I have no time to get out. Marth I guess is somewhat in my "rare" counter group, but because of his range.

Basically, I think a counter just comes down to : You have to be 99% sure that an attack is going to be thrown before you counter, and have some sort of backup plan if it misses.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
After just going to a tourny I have new wisdom. Counter is nice. when your opponent rushes at you jump in the air and when you near them counter. They likely try a fair, especially CFs, and boom. they are near the edge then you poke or counter when they get up if they do a rising attack. I got one guy with three consecutive counters, that was fun.

madskillz

Smash Cadet
I use it a lot, especially if I don't think I can edge guard well enough.

If the opponent is in a bad spot for me to edge guard, then I just use counter and they almost always get nailed back. It's saved me plenty of times in a battle.

Obviously, you shouldn't abuse it, or you'll get screwed later in the battle.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I normally counter to screw predictable combos. I've actually found countering to be usefull in edgeguarding some akward recoveries (Samus and Links chains) Other than that it's not to usefull in offense or defense because it requires you to be attacked which isn't a good thing. Its best use is for mind games

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i use it sometimes to edge guard space animals. a sweet-spotted-timed counter sends them directly down and it looks like they are fast falling very very quickly.

Ykoahi

Smash Cadet
Counter makes me laugh when somebody throws an item across the level and i counter it.

But anyways, when i see people charging smashes ill jump right into thier range and MOST of them use it ASAP, but wait? I have counter already hitting them in the face.

But as other people stated, if you use it too much most players start playing mind games with you

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
^^ that is a good idea, but when they do that I normally abuse marth's range, by standing in tipper range, charging, and waiting for the perfect timeing for teh kill

ricey09

Smash Cadet
I use it from time to time when I need to, only whenever they have high percentage and they have me locked in a combo. Its very good to break combos as well as to use if you can anticipate the player's next move such as a follow-up ariel attack. But only use it if you know 100% that you will hit or else you'll regret it. It only works if your good at anticipating the opponents move.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
If your opponent is charging a smash attack (which, in most situations, is a seriously bad idea), then short hop your counter right where they're attacking.

adonnis85

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a Marth player but I played Roy, so I can tell you...

Against fast players, if they have an obvious "I'm going to dash attack you from far away and combo it!" approach, then a counter is ideal because it's a really good way to catch speedsters off guard. Some Marth players have caught me like that when I dash, and it screws me up really badly.
(and when i say attack from far away, i don't mean across the entire stage.)
why not just shield grab them?

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
I havn't really read through this topic but I like to only use it upon recovery as a mindgame. It really works on those pesky, wreckless and overaggressive Sheik players. Also anyone who plays extremely offencive.

gtfo

Smash Apprentice
When I play marth, i use the counter sometimes to edgegaurd. Drop down coutner them to the side of the stage, or away from it. Risky, but its fun.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
When I play marth, i use the counter sometimes to edgegaurd. Drop down coutner them to the side of the stage, or away from it. Risky, but its fun.
It works hella better with Roy. But at high percentages, you can get away with it. But then again, you could counter and set them up into a better position for a tipper. But with Marth's ridiculous amount of edgeguarding options, you can do better.

DuKe™

Smash Journeyman
counter actually owns because it can become an insane mind game if used correctly like in MLG Dallas against Pc Chris ken went off on the counter he started countering falco's laser at close range so instead of getting hit by the laser it countered and hit the falco and im pretty sure you could get this video at the hub is you want to see it its the 2nd match of a best of five which ken wins 3-1 at MLG Dallas ken sadly loses the match though but he ***** him the 1st stock

Top Bottom