• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down and B - When is too much?

Geno Whirl

Smash Rookie
I've played Pikachu for a good long while (ever since the original smash days) and the Down and B thunderbolt move is one of Pikachu's trump cards, as you may agree. But the amount of hate I've seen and experienced with using the move is unbelievable. Allow me to explain.

I recall the first incident when I used the move on a flat stage... Final Destination, I believe. Peach was returning to the stage via her annoying little glide (xD) so I decided to loose he thunderbolt on her, perched near the edge of the stage. After a couple times, she was gone, but the player became angry because they thought it was 'spamming'. But eh, I came in second anyway. MK did a number on me, haha.

I also remember a time where I did use the move more often than usual, against Sonic. I find that it is perfect for deflecting his general attack move, where he becomes a ball and auto-aims for the nearest player. As hes in the air, let the thunderbolt loose, and he runs right into it. Tis pretty spiffy. But yet again, the Sonic player turned to me with disdainful comments, which I merely rolled my eyes at and we played on.

But what do you guys think? I know the move has the potential to become spam very easily, and I've seen many players do it on wifi, but wheres the line drawn? When is too much, would you say?

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
If it works on your opponent, I'd say go for it. It's up to the opponent to change up his strategy to avoid getting hit by thunder so often. You shouldn't limit ur options because they are annoying, because being annoying can help you win.

Don't think about thunder too much though, because it can be punished if you use it too much. I think using thunder too often means using it in situations where you aren't sure it will connect before you can get punished, or just using it for no helpful reason. When practicing, trying to use more aerials instead of thunder might help you become less predicable.

Lunar Flare

Smash Rookie
I've played Pikachu for a good long while (ever since the original smash days) and the Down and B thunderbolt move is one of Pikachu's trump cards, as you may agree. But the amount of hate I've seen and experienced with using the move is unbelievable. Allow me to explain.

I recall the first incident when I used the move on a flat stage... Final Destination, I believe. Peach was returning to the stage via her annoying little glide (xD) so I decided to loose he thunderbolt on her, perched near the edge of the stage. After a couple times, she was gone, but the player became angry because they thought it was 'spamming'. But eh, I came in second anyway. MK did a number on me, haha.

I also remember a time where I did use the move more often than usual, against Sonic. I find that it is perfect for deflecting his general attack move, where he becomes a ball and auto-aims for the nearest player. As hes in the air, let the thunderbolt loose, and he runs right into it. Tis pretty spiffy. But yet again, the Sonic player turned to me with disdainful comments, which I merely rolled my eyes at and we played on.

But what do you guys think? I know the move has the potential to become spam very easily, and I've seen many players do it on wifi, but wheres the line drawn? When is too much, would you say?
i agree with lmntolp. once your opponent catches on. They wiil punish you. If you find yourself fighting someone who cannot avoid/air dodge your thunder, then it's their fault for not being acquainted with a simple pressing of the R button.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
There is no need to ever spam it.
I catch my opponent with it off-guard, sometimes as I'm dropping down from the air.
Otherwise, I double-forward QAC into thunder after launching the opponent into the air.
It's also useful for edgeguarding.

Thunder is crucial to Pikachu's metagame, but there's rarely a good reason to use it more than twice in a row.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
i have been accused for spamming it before when i wasnt......when i got a triplethunder combo for the kill i was accused for spamming it, when that was the only time i had used it in the match till then. people will always call pikas spammy far earlier then when he really is spamming it.

Geno Whirl

Smash Rookie
Spamming is using a move when it's not working, or doing anything.
Please post your questions in the Q&A thread rather than creating a new thread.
Ooo, sorry about that! I'm new at this forum, so I'm still catching on. Ahaha. Didn't mean to offend, and will heed next time! ^^

TaiZX

Smash Rookie
Tell them to stop complaining, find a way around it, or die trying. ;)

mateo101

Smash Cadet
they just hating on u cause u flossing minty fresh n they want yo chedder cheese

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
against noobs you only need dsmash and downb to win
but against good players i've found that its much more effective if you ONLY use it to kill because your opponent might forget that pika has that **** move

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
I rarely use dsmash. Online, I use it against people who are dsmash happy just to show how annoying it is when spammed.

You dont even wanna know how much I use downB...

Geno Whirl

Smash Rookie
Well, this has all made me feel much better! ^^ I'm glad I now have a clear definition as to what spamming is, I was somewhat unsure before joining this forum. Ahaha.

It just goes to show you how pwnsome it is. ^^

neji32

Smash Lord
OMG this. this is something that all the newbs that call certain chars/attacks broken need to understand. even some good players need to understand this.
and thus comes the reason why people decide to quit brawl. there are some spams that are just gay. Pika not being one of them. anyone who spams thunder (thats not stealth =p) is an idiot, that move is very punishable

thunder jolts shouldnt be complained about because they have no priority

Diddy2k8

Smash Cadet
If your opponent keeps getting hit by it then why should u stop? As you said you was in a tournament. Why should u stop whats working? And honestly i don't see how people complain about anything when they use mk,snake,and rob. Like for real?

Now if your just blatantly abusing the move when u know you can be doing other stuff then yea i guess he has a reason to get mad. Still it's not like he can make you stop using the move. However against a good player if your abusing anything he will read it counter it and kill u.

Mind you people will find any reason to john about losing. I specifically switched my main from diddy to peach for that exact reason. People said i was cheap with the bananas.(Again how can they complain when there using mk and snake? ) So now im peach with my secondary being pika. And while i don't win as much with them as i did with diddy when i do win people still make excuses. Last night on the match someone said. "You only won cause your peach" WHAT?????????????

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I type way too much. sry for the rant!

5ive

Smash Champion
If your opponent keeps getting hit by it then why should u stop? As you said you was in a tournament. Why should u stop whats working? And honestly i don't see how people complain about anything when they use mk,snake,and rob. Like for real?

Now if your just blatantly abusing the move when u know you can be doing other stuff then yea i guess he has a reason to get mad. Still it's not like he can make you stop using the move. However against a good player if your abusing anything he will read it counter it and kill u.

Mind you people will find any reason to john about losing. I specifically switched my main from diddy to peach for that exact reason. People said i was cheap with the bananas.(Again how can they complain when there using mk and snake? ) So now im peach with my secondary being pika. And while i don't win as much with them as i did with diddy when i do win people still make excuses. Last night on the match someone said. "You only won cause your peach" WHAT?????????????

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! I type way too much. sry for the rant!

OMG, stop bumping these old topics.

We are trying to clean up the Pika Boards, not make it full of topics.
DIDDY, watch where you are posting. :(

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
Its not really bumping, and this is really not an old thread. And IMO, our board is pretty clean the way it is now compared to a lot of other character boards. I guess the guy is just responding to the topic, not bumping it on purpose. You cant stop the guy for giving his own opinion on this.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
He's trying to say that you don't have to bump this topic when the question has already been answered and when this whole topic belongs in the Q&A thread.

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
What? When a question is answered everyone should stop posting? No one can post their opinions and thoughts? I know it should be in the questions and answers thread, but that thread creator and that new poster is new to swf. You cant blame em for missing the stickies, i sometimes miss them.

5ive

Smash Champion
When the answer is clear, you should stop posting.
Also, this question is very straight forward, you could answer it by yourself, and you could even ask this question at the Questions and Answers thread.

No need to be disrespectful Boom and rude. You just lost my respect.

!Boom!

Smash Journeyman
You got mad at that ^^^?

Well I didnt mean for it to offend you. I usually use it as a joke or just for laughs, but who can really tell on the internet? Well, sorry. Not holding a grudge or anything.

rc-80

Smash Rookie
Well its pretty funny with my friends cause im better than them and when i spam somthing, they cant seem to realize im going to do the same move over and over so with them, Thunder(down B) is the best cause they never learn and they get really mad at me.

Top Bottom