• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Standards of Players Based on Their Mains

Sarix

Smash Ace
Just a disclaimer, this is not a “Boo High Tiers! Yay Low Tiers!” blog. The purpose of this is to provoke some thought and possibly get answers.

One of the things I’ve questioned about this community is its very condescending nature towards new players or budding players choosing lower tiered characters. Now I understand that given this is a competitive community so obviously you want the most viable option so you can win; but what warrants chewing out a player for choosing a lower tier character for their main whether or not they realize they are putting themselves at a steeper disadvantage? What benefit do we gain from criticizing players for choosing less optimal characters for competitive play even if they know it’s less optimal and is it even productive for the community to begin with?

Being someone who actively tries to promote the Smash community through my college’s gaming club I try to just see if anyone would be interested in learning before picking a main. I always gain uneasiness though whenever a new player wants to use a low tier character and possibly join the community; because I feel they’ll want to leave the community for being berated because of their choice by players who have been in the scene longer, I know I have experienced it.

Another thing I’ve noticed while lurking around the boards is how some people treat newer players especially who choose lower tiered characters like they’re a disease to the metagame. It’s understandable when those players try to promote their main like they are on the same level as MK or think they are better because they choose to use a lower tier character. But why do those who just happen to like the character receive the same treatment? You would think some players would like to see newer players pick up worse characters so they aren’t threatened by them potentially in a tournament setting?

Being a Peach and Samus main I’ve seen it from both perspectives. Whenever I mention I main Peach I get treated like a player who has potential to improve become fairly good later on but whenever I mention I main Samus I’m viewed like I’ve turned into a thirteen year-old who has just joined the scene with no knowledge of the game. Granted I do view Samus as having some potential but I don’t think she’ll ever shoot up to Borderline Tier or anything crazy, at most just possibly being viable in the future with some effort. I just don’t see the justification in more experienced players bashing my choice and actually having a little bit of optimism and enjoyment in choosing her.

This double standard I feel is very destructive to the Smash community as it not only detracts respect from players who use lower tier characters but have a clear understanding of the game but it also can put incorrect judgments on players solely based on the main they chose. Granted like minds are going to be attracted to certain characters and common traits are going to be categorized but I don’t see the point in creating a negative stigma towards players who choose characters who happen to be low tier.

I also don’t see what good from just saying a character is bad, it’s such a vague and general description when you think about it. When I think of bad characters I think of Ganondorf and Zelda (no offense to those who main them) who were clearly designed with very linear concepts in mind that could’ve easily been expanded upon but weren’t (Being a studying character animator this greatly frustrates me). Both have a few options, techniques, or underlying potential to really tap into and this makes them very linear and lacking in gameplay variation between players. I can understand why other low tier characters like Link and Bowser can be considered bad but overall they have more to tools to work with and are less limited in how they can be played. Granted they have other flaws that bring them down but I feel considering them below average would be a more accurate description of them. I’ve seen mid and borderline tier players gleefully bash low tier characters considering if we want to say what characters are technically “bad” by tier status it’s D tier and under.

Overall I’m not trying to criticize anyone but I would just like to know what would be gained from viewing non-successful low tier mains with a negative connotation? I just personally believe in giving everyone a chance at anything but that may be just me and I’m not a well-known highly influential figure in this community. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion I just think it would be better to be productive to just let new players know certain characters are less optimal but still be accepting of their choice. One of the things that makes this game fun is we can play as characters we like, despite how good they are.

Again this is not a “yay low tiers” I just feel that just because a player uses a low tier character shouldn’t derail what they do know about the game.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Well, I suppose the argument is, "If you know anything about this game, you know that you don't stand a chance with this character." Brawl has been around for four years now; idiosyncrasies may still be lurking around, but probably nothing that's going to dramatically shake up the tiers.

I haven't noticed anything regarding what you are saying. Maybe I'm blind to the areas where it happens.

I see there being pressure on people to want to play the higher tiers, but not because of demoralizing attitudes towards people picking these characters. Most of the pressure on newer players I see comes from introduction into the community (smash has its own style of community), learning the game in a specific way (getting use to no items), and trying to get better with a character no one near you even touches.

We sort of all joke about the lower tier characters when its actually a bandwagon following for the most part. Most probably do not care at all and find it really entertaining when a low tier main gets really far in tournament. Taj with Mew2 is a great example of that.

The other stigma against low tier is again the lack of knowledge from other people. You are likely to be the only player of that character in your area most likely. Its often times easier to pick up say Falco, Snake, or Doc. over Bowser since they are more common picks and you get to see how they characters are played and you can mimic it. Otherwise, you sort of have to come up with your own gameplay and coach yourself.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Coming from an Ike main and the ike mentor of this site, who has watched the players flow in and out since 08, you really see the same people over and over for low tiers.. People who don't know the scene or wifi warriors. Most people can't deal with the shortcomings of a low tier once they face people who know how to exploit low tiers for who they are that they either switch or quit. However, we always tell them.. The reality of using a low tier and this is how to get better if you truly earnest with it. Most aren't though.

BSP

Smash Legend
This is :mario2:, :luigi2:, and :sonic: player

One of the things I’ve questioned about this community is its very condescending nature towards new players or budding players choosing lower tiered characters. Now I understand that given this is a competitive community so obviously you want the most viable option so you can win; but what warrants chewing out a player for choosing a lower tier character for their main whether or not they realize they are putting themselves at a steeper disadvantage? What benefit do we gain from criticizing players for choosing less optimal characters for competitive play even if they know it’s less optimal and is it even productive for the community to begin with?
Honestly, I haven't seen much of this. I joined SWF a whole year after brawl came out, but I haven't seen anyone get berated for using a low tier. No one has berated me either. The closest thing there is to a "condescending nature" is probably the fact that low tier mains aren't considered threats really, and for good reason. Outside of that though, I haven't noticed any especially negative treatment.

Being someone who actively tries to promote the Smash community through my college’s gaming club I try to just see if anyone would be interested in learning before picking a main. I always gain uneasiness though whenever a new player wants to use a low tier character and possibly join the community; because I feel they’ll want to leave the community for being berated because of their choice by players who have been in the scene longer, I know I have experienced it.
That's lame. I wouldn't berate someone for using a low tier, but after going through what I have, I would highly discourage them for doing so depending on how seriously the person wants to win.

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion I just think it would be better to be productive to just let new players know certain characters are less optimal but still be accepting of their choice.
This is what I try to do.

Again this is not a “yay low tiers” I just feel that just because a player uses a low tier character shouldn’t derail what they do know about the game.
It shouldn't.

Edit: I entered the offline scene as a :mario2: and :luigi2: main and never got any disrespect. Heck, I've met more pressure from trying to switch off my low tier characters.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Yeah, I have to say from being a :lucas: main for a majority of me playing Smash. *shrug* I mean of course there are people who just say the characters are trash and shouldn't be played but I never really saw people being chastised for being possible LT mains as compared to higher tiered characters. I have seen people recommend people changing their mains and the like.

BSP said:
The closest thing there is to a "condescending nature" is probably the fact that low tier mains aren't considered threats really, and for good reason. Outside of that though, I haven't noticed any especially negative treatment.
This is pretty much what I have seen in being here for 2 years with the Lucas.

I mean, now, I co-main Lucas/Peach together and I haven't really noticed a change that is dramatic to either side of the spectrum.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Playing low tiers is really boring because they resort to gimmicks and/or camping to win because they generally do not have good offensive options, or in some cases they don't have good options period. I'd rather encourage someone to play a higher tier as they will see the depth the game provides and more likely win with that character rather than choosing Roy because he has teh ph1re

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I've never been mocked/berated/treated negatively in any way for using Low tier characters.

Possibly because Captain Falcon and Mewtwo are so Badass that you can't possibly mock them or people who play them in any way :p

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I've seen a lot of people who basically **** with low teir charcters and I've seen people **** with characters who I simply suck with(Yoshi). I think how well adapted the person is to playing as that character plays a big part so I can't say that someone is going to be garbage purely based on their main.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hmm, as a Lucas main I am sometimes advised to change but otherwise I tend to get it more like, if i'm in a tournament and get far with Lucas, I'm respected.

I dunno, I just get the impression that those who really enjoy their character, believe in that character and go further with that character than others seem to get a lot of respect if they go far with a LT in a tournament. Perhaps it simply means more if you can win with a LT rather than a HT.

Top Bottom