• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DotA 2: 6.83 patch, The International 5 on the way!

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
You guys suck, post your steam IDs like links so I can put you guys in the first post.

hubble

Smash Ace
i've done a lot of research after this post, and thanks to you i've made a much more informed decision.

I have decided to shift my focus away from the CPU specifically and get a very compatible mobo. I will be using the same AMD FX cpu, though, for a number of reasons.

One, its model is very new, which means there is room to upgrade in the future. Two, its cost:power is pretty respectable. It may not be the fastest in benchmarks right now, but its not bad; it is an 8 core after all. Some of the benchmark issues have as much to do with the software as the hardware (windows 7 is supposedly coming out with a patch in the future for better 8 core compatibility). Three, from looking at market trends, I plan to bet on AMD making a bounce back in the CPU sector. Intel might be winning right now, but they won't always be on top. From my estimates, right now might actually be the best time to buy into AMD, while the prices are still low.

I've also decided to clock back my budget a fair amount. I could probably afford to buy close to the best of the best, but that would deplete the last few months of savings i've done. I don't plan on spending a whole lot of time overclocking, so I decided that I'll save water cooling for later. This is how I plan to prioritize my costs:

1. Mobo (compatibility)
2. Case (space, airflow, looks ;))
3. CPU
4. GPU
5. RAM (so cheap these days...)

I will be getting a 60GB SSD for OS and game installs and probably reuse my current 500GB HDD for storage. Whats a good wattage powersupply to get? Are there other qualities of PSUs i should look at besides wattage (and cord counts, i suppose)
I'd go with something like this if you want to buy asap. Also supports crossfire, so you can throw in another 7850 for a cheap upgrade later on.

You can easily overclock this to 4.5ghz with very little time/fiddling required.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
That actually is a great rig and in my budget range. My only issue is the investment. Intel's 4 cores benchmark fine now but they will likely change their pins soon leaving me with a dead end mobo. Id rather invest early with the AMD 3+ platform; the benchmarks aren't that different from the 2500-K and ill be able to drop $400 or something down the line to buy a top of the line processor that works with my mobo. And like I said, I don't really plan to overclock right now. I'm too busy and I suspect the normal performance will work just fine for me.

Do you think its better to sli/crossfire two medium level gpus or invest in a single high end one?

:phone:

Arcansi

Smash Champion
I have DoTA 2 beta access.

I don't THINK I'm very good, although I have been complimented once and I'm in no way horrible (as far as I can tell, I can last hit/deny somewhat, know what to do in teamfights mostly, etc)

And I would love to play with you guy sometime.

EDIT: Steam ID = FlutterRAGE

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Post a link to your profile

there are so many FlutterRAGE.

hubble

Smash Ace
@sveet: for a gaming rig you always want to buy the most expensive video card you can afford without compromising the quality of the rest of your parts. almost all modern games limited by the gpu rather than the cpu/ram. also, i can understand why you are considering am3+ but the newer intel chipset is just around the corner aswell. the jump in cores from buying the amd chips really doesnt do much for gaming performance from what ive seen aswell. i always value bang/buck rather than anything else.

$$$$$

Its always interesting to hear different opinions on dota. Especially like hearing LoL players and very high level dota player opinions.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Good point hubble, but as a CS and Math major, I plan to do quite a bit of non-gaming stuff on it, possibly some number theory stuff that would take hours of CPU time. The only games I play right now are SC2, DotA2, SMNC, and a few rpgs like the mass effect and assassins creed. Oh yeah and Diablo 3 soon :D. In any case, if I buy something new now, i'm guaranteed to have more than enough power to run any of these at max settings 60fps, which is more than enough for me. Obviously I want the most bang for my buck, but I want the most compatible mobo so that I can upgrade in 2 or 3 years when I want to play mass effect 6 in ultra graphics haha. As for the chipset... If the intel chipset comes out this month, I might consider buying into it. Otherwise, not, since I plan on building this computer at the beginning of may. I have done the research and you're definitely right about intel being dominant right now.

Also, both AMD and Intel sponsor a lot of e-sports stuff (and have for years!) so i can't use that to make a decision. Thats pretty much the whole reason i'm buying kingston hyperX (or g.skill) haha

Turazrok

Smash Master
Lol I wasn't ready for the hardcoreness yesterday, I expected random pub stomping and ended up warding loooooooool.

GG it was fun.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
luke r we friends on steam?
I don't think so? add me, my **** is herbivorestyle

Nah b, I like playing carry sven.

He like screams and ****.
i was playing puck in the suicide lane the other day vs sven and cm. i hit level 6 and i killed cm. as I'm running from sven, he warcries, and I phase shift because he yelled and it's the same or close enough sound to him stunning that I got baited. then he stunned me and I was pissssed
won't happen again
i'm not sure iggy, i'm too fail at using steam to know and I clicked your link and logged in and idk what to do next

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
After you log in and are at my steam page, on the right side there should be an add as a friend option.

And yes, yes it is tura.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
luke, add me since my computer is messed up and I wont be able to add you for a few weeks. my account is sveetx

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium

Never playing anything other than Shadowfiend.

Good thing he's already my favorite hero. But oh god now. This is amazing.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
If Dota 2 wasn't already amazing enough. This makes me even happier.

edit:

inb4 sf gets picked up because of this buff. Not because of any other buffs. Just the buff to his ****ing amazing ultimate animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8zRktU3HGk

Top Bottom