• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doomsday Partical Accelerator (LHC thread)

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Are we ownt?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/30/doomsdaycollider.ap/index.html

Basically, a super accelerator will throw particles together, and the idea of death is something will happen to the particles, creating a strangelet, a particle so dense it'll suck everything, even light, into itself. All other particles sucked into it will then become strangelets themselves, eventually spawning a blackhole.

"The physicist Martin Rees has estimated the chance of an accelerator producing a global catastrophe at one in 50 million -- long odds, to be sure, but about the same as winning some lotteries."

Any thoughts?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Didn't they already do the experiment ages ago, or was that just something similar?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
something similar. They've been doing this sort of thing for awhile now, it's just that this one is of a much more grander scale, and then its 7 times more powerful then any other experiment ever performed. Plus, scientists know a lot more about about what to fool around with now.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I seriously doubt any planetary harm will come from this. Ideally, it'll help us understand more about our universe.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, the fear is that we'll create a black hole by accident. Really, it's an unfounded fear. We'll be quite fine.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
If we create a black hole in our planet, then we are screwed. Somewhere I heard that there is like a mini Wormhole in Earth awlready (connecting the Mariana Trench and a trench of the coast of Japan), if this can be proven true then more knowledge of our universe would literaly be under our feat.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
If we create a black hole in our planet, then we are screwed. Somewhere I heard that there is like a mini Wormhole in Earth awlready (connecting the Mariana Trench and a trench of the coast of Japan), if this can be proven true then more knowledge of our universe would literaly be under our feat.
Source? I wanna hear more about that...

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure scientists have ruled out it even being possible that a black hole created by a particle accelerator would ever sustain itself for more than a split second.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
This is nothing but crazy people with irrational fear

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
The Black Hole wouldn't be able to sustain itself.

Maybe something cool will happen though. Maybe it'll kill all the scientists nearby, or maybe it'll open a gateway to another dimension or something.

Now that would be cool. :laugh:

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't Hawking Radiation prevent the end of the world in that case? (If it is accurate enough of course).

I think it states that a microscopic Black Hole would have an incredibly short life-span, emiting more energy than it absorbs.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
yes, but a black hole will have (in theory) enough gravity to rip appert whatever it comes close to. If it's microscopic, them it could rip a hill or a house, maybe a skyscraper but not the world.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
We're all quite safe.

But despite that, I'm throwing a big "End of the World Party" the night before the LHC gets turned on! Come on! How often would you get the opportunity to have an end of the world party? It's going to be awesome.

yes, but a black hole will have (in theory) enough gravity to rip appert whatever it comes close to. If it's microscopic, them it could rip a hill or a house, maybe a skyscraper but not the world.
No, the black hole would keep growing in size as it consumes more mater, very quickly demolishing the planet and likely solar system.

However, if it starts out small enough (like the ones we're talking about) it will evaporate through Hawking Radiadion long before it does much of anything.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I've been to three end of the world parties...

Hurricanes can be pretty bad, so we celebrate our impending doom.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Every physicist dreams of breaking the laws of physics : )

The Idea is that if we understand the way the universe works on it's most smallest simplest particles, then by extension we can understand the universe as a whole.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Every physicist dreams of breaking the laws of physics : )

The Idea is that if we understand the way the universe works on it's most smallest simplest particles, then by extension we can understand the universe as a whole.
Yea, but that's if physics worked:laugh:

Supposedly dark matter which was recently discovered, is supposed to hold the answer to all our questions about the Universe. The only problem (although being worked on) is how to create dark matter.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Thought it was called the Large Hardon Collider for a while there.

It's always experiments like this that lead to demons from Hell invading Earth

We're doomed!

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
Thought it was called the Large Hardon Collider for a while there.

It's always experiments like this that lead to demons from Hell invading Earth

We're doomed!
Maybe not death so much as just a half life.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Until the zombies come, of course

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I read about this a while ago, anyway, it all seems like a whole lot of uneducated craziness, although it is a good reason for a party I guess....
also, it will take weeks to power the thing up completely(maybe more), so, you could have a very lengthy end of the world party.
Speaking of end of the world, secret ending to the original Halo anyone?

Red Hawk One

Smash Apprentice
We are currently not at liberty to divulge that in
The probability of this actually destroying the world is very small, but it still exists. For that reason, I have trouble beleiving that it would ever go into operation, as it would likely receive large political and public condemnation if someone decided to publicize the possible consequences. If it does start up the negative side effects would probably be trumped by the knowledge we gain from it. If not, then they should have listened to the nay-sayers

And if it is a doomsday machine? I hope some scientist with a crowbar saves us.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
It's being started up incredibly soon, and there was already a wave of protest against it.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
The only problem that I have with it, is that it dumps a lot of money into a project that will provide us with knowledge that is completely useless until we have functional and independent space colonies, and even then it's application is still gonna be painfully limited for another thousand years or so.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
It's not always about how we can apply it directly, it's about understanding our universe and its behavior, a worthy endeavor!

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
Guys , we dont need a doomsday partical accelerator... we have already created a self-sustained paradox that could destroy time and space continuity down in the lucario boards... look for the lucario chat room if u are interested

SacredThunder

Smash Cadet
he just has to try it fifty million times. even then, still probably won't happen. who knows though

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
The only problem that I have with it, is that it dumps a lot of money into a project that will provide us with knowledge that is completely useless until we have functional and independent space colonies, and even then it's application is still gonna be painfully limited for another thousand years or so.
Similar arguments were made about a little thing called the cathode-ray tube, You know what that became? The almighty TV set.

a particle accelerator isn't going to do any more harm to the planet than has already been done tunneling out the cavity to hold it. It only accelerates tiny tiny tiny tiny subatomic particles, possibly a helium nucleus at the largest. A single helium nucleus traveling nearly at the speed of light will hardly cause any damage outside of the other particle it is aimed at. It's just the media taking advantage of the lack of scientific knowledge among so many people to sell a story.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
The particle Accelerator is substantially more expensive then a cathode ray tube was (respectively) The Cathode Ray tube was the exception not the rule, the truth is a vast majority of "new breakthrough" are just are in no way feasible with current equipment, and usually its because the cost of creation, greatly out ways the return in value, and there is little hope for making it cheaper.

Did you know that there were electric cars early in the 1920s? (visit http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aacarselectrica.htm)
They were available along side combustion engines, but at the time they were completely unreasonable, the batteries didn't last long they were dangerous and gas was way cheaper.
But now the idea of an electric powered car is a possible solution to gas guzzling vehicles, what I was mostly saying was that, this is in no way practical, I could be wrong, but it's not likely.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Two more days lads.

Until the zombies come, of course
Personally, I think we should get everybody in a 10 mile radius to dress as zombies for when the scientists come to present their findings.

To be honest I think the worst that can happen from this is that everyone will wake up with mad hair.

M@v

Subarashii!
whoa, necro post. Really? I thought this happened like in early august.

P.s this thread reminded me of a doomsday by nuclear annihilation dream I had last night. They are always fun :bee:

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure scientists have ruled out it even being possible that a black hole created by a particle accelerator would ever sustain itself for more than a split second.
Somehow I feel this needs to be repeated.

This is especially interesting for me, being a physics nerd and all.

Top Bottom