• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't Grab Me Jeff! - SilentSpectre combo video

-taco

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the SS part was good...
but I'm pretty sure we need Germ or Sidefx to make it an awesome Combo Video...

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace

I understand differences of personal taste, but I don't understand how the music doesn't "fit," at least not any less so than any other combo video. I'd love to hear a theoretical explanation of what constitutes a fitting song, and examples of videos with such songs and why.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I don't think the first song fit at all, I nearly turned it off because of it. It just didn't fit, I can't really say it better than that.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
I don't think the first song fit at all, I nearly turned it off because of it. It just didn't fit, I can't really say it better than that.
I don't think you can really say it much worse than that either. Sadly this is probably as good an explanation as I'm going to get. I feel like I've watched tons of combo videos with songs that fit much worse.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
All right, I'll make an attempt >.>

A song would be fitting if the emotional response/feeling you get from it matches what you would get from the visual content. Combo videos generally have a 'high-energy' or 'high-power' type of vibe, hence many successful combo videos using fast techno songs (silent wolf's combo video comes to mind, or shined blind) or fast-paced rock songs (first half of I Killed Mufasa, first half of Happy Feet 3, Gimpyfish: the Movie).

Obviously this depends on the person listening and is affected heavily by personal taste. For example I think Pretender in Zhu's Happy Feet 3 fits really really well. Something about that song together with technical falco just works for me. The second song used, though, is something of a slow song and thus it feels totally wrong to me. Others may disagree. It's not objective, though it does have somewhat of a theoretical basis.

When someone says "the music doesn't fit at all" I'm sure they just mean "I don't think the music fits and I'm sure most people would agree with me", and that's about as relevant as music choice criticism can get. Because (I'm assuming) you are trying to make a product that appeals to the general population.

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
I appreciate it.

This is all pretty deeply in the realm of subjectivity, but that's probably roughly the theoretical explanation I would have given, considering the songs I chose were a fast, high-energy rock song and a fast, high-energy techno song respectively. I might also add something like songs with some sort of dramatic buildup or crescendo should evoke similar reactions to displays of skill.

Oddly enough, Pretender is definitely not something I would consider a very fitting song. Maybe a purely instrumental version of it would be, but the given the vocal style, and especially the actual content of the lyrics, I find highly inappropriate. I think the most fitting songs I've heard are the Killer Instinct theme and The Passing of the Blue Crown.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I think it's mostly the strange vocals (? not sure what they are) in the first song you chose that people don't like. They don't really do it for me, either. Besides them, the instrumentals to the song are kind of dull.

The second song is fine, I think.

What do you think about the "fittingness" from the other videos I named? (And if it wasn't clear, I meant that I thought Pretender was really fitting for Zhu's video, not this one.)

Cpt Knee Cap

Smash Rookie
I thought I was great, the combo's where all well executed, and I hadent even seen a couple of them. Honestly i liked the first song, its fast and intense. Actually i would like to congradulate you on thinking outside the box. (it seems more professional that way.) Most would have people would apply some alternative rock or generic over played song to it. The mortal combat song is fine, who doesent like to so sick game-play to that song, It pumps people up, no doubt.

Top Bottom