• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does this character have any bad points?

papermarkis

Smash Lord
Cause from what I've seen he has:

Good power
Good speed
Ridiculous range
Good recovery
Like every move of his has KO potential and comes out really fast
Two types of mines
Heavy

I just see no bad points with this guy.

kenkowtow

Smash Apprentice
play him and you will find out...

One glaring thing that I don't believe you mentioned was the fairly large lag he has, and he's no necessarily fast either.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
With the solid slide (thats what i call it deal with it) snake is definatly high trier material. I really like playing as snake cause he doesnt follow the rules of smash brothers. I guess one thing thats hard to deal with is that his moves aren't the easiest to just use. you kinda have to think like snake to be good with him. I still havn't figured him out yet but i can't wait till i do.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Cause from what I've seen he has:
Like every move of his has KO potential and comes out really fast
I just see no bad points with this guy.
Hmm...besides fsmash I suppose lol. But to expand on RAAR, and it's been said already, that it takes time to learn how to actually combine his good points to be a good snake. AKA high learning curve.

Also I don't know if it's just me but I have trouble with snake in FFA's...usually getting my kills stolen or getting beat up as I set up. Maybe he's more of a 1v1 character, though I've yet to play a FFA that isn't online and lag free. Perhaps that will change the outcome when I do, since snake isn't much of an attack spam character (which is basically what laggy FFA's result in lol)

Squall LeonHeart

Smash Ace
I've just done some lvl 7 cpu FFAs (reason for this: just started playing Brawl), Snake is pretty good in FFAs you just gotta watch your c4 at all times each time you plant it, someone eventually will step over it then be sure to detonate. I like to set mines where I feel someone is going to step on it soon and I just spam nades as well if it is needed. I know humans will be a whole different story but I'm just getting used to Snake and I'm pretty adept with him so far.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Smashes (fsmash especially) are useless as traditional KO moves
Aerials are laggy

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I've just done some lvl 7 cpu FFAs (reason for this: just started playing Brawl), Snake is pretty good in FFAs you just gotta watch your c4 at all times each time you plant it, someone eventually will step over it then be sure to detonate. I like to set mines where I feel someone is going to step on it soon and I just spam nades as well if it is needed. I know humans will be a whole different story but I'm just getting used to Snake and I'm pretty adept with him so far.
Ah well..the only FFA's i've played so far are the 2 minute ones in basic brawl...so ya since those are based on kill count I almost never win unless I'm lucky. If it was stock FFA on the other hand, snake is a really durable character and he'd probably be able to win from outlasting the others.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
His air game is relatively weak, only Uair and Bair are useful. Fair has a spike but monster lag as punishment. Another thing I find frustrating out of him is that this cypher needs momentum to travel horizontally and it's impossible to move it though other methods so if you get hit under the stage there goes a life. Aside from that, he's a beast.

k!llsw!tch

Smash Ace
Snake is pretty nice, I just won another game online with him, the "solid slide" is amazing when used right, and the missile and grenades, naw he has no bad points except lag and speed but his strength covers for it.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
I might say he has trouble against smaller characters, but I've never really had any personally...

Maybe that his smashes are situational (well, you should be planting Mines everywhere, but Up Smash and Forward...), since they're very laggy and a bit awkward. If you whiff with any of his Air moves (except maybe Uair) you'll get punished badly.

He has a really awful first jump, and the second isn't super good...

I honestly find the Nakita kind of useless, but everyone else loves it, so I should really start practicing with it more.

Rangles

Smash Rookie
His air game and his huge lag on fsmash are probably his most glaring weaknesses, along with the cypher need horizontal momentum as previously mentioned. I've been caught under final destination way too many times.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
He doesn't have many fast GTFO moves that most other characters could rely on. His Nair and Dair are both unconventional and not always great, and his Fair is slow. This means that he's vulnerable from the front and below, which makes his defense in the air almost non-existent. His KO moves are also rather slow or rely on the opponent stepping into a particular place on the stage. His fast moves are good, but you can't afford to overshoot or miss with them or you'll get punished.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
His ariels are really bad, esp nair. uair and bair is fine.... but nair is very bad in most situations.

HOWEVER his fair can be a good spike, but you need excellent timing.

Basically his ariel game.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
His nair is so not bad. You're just using it wrong. Perform it with a full hop and it works wonders. His dair is a bit more situational, but eats shields like crazy. I'm still trying to find a shield-breaker combo with Snake (most likely possible). His fair is even more situational, and you have to sweetspot it to get it to spike. Even is you miss the spike, though, if they're at high enough percentages (depending on weight), you'll still get a KO.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
dont worry guys, ill start placing high in tournament with snake and he can rise up the tier list.
Fine, I guess I'll help greg make Snake top tier...*sigh*

Anyways, on topic...To everyone that says Snake's aerials are bad...Wow. Just wow. Pay attention to the following:

Bair ***** for edgeguarding, and for punishing people that miss their techs on platforms. It's range is ridiculous, and you can spam it while in the air vs other opponent's because Snake's legs are long as ****. Also, the hitbox goes to his waist...keep that in mind. Lastly, the duration of snake's bair is just so long.

Uair is amazing, as it's range is ridiculous, and can kill pretty easily off the top. Mix this up with utilts when you're opponent is coming down from below, and it's hard to predict whether or not you will jump and attack them, or utilt. There are other applications, but don't want to be giving away too many tricks now. ;)

Nair is ****, but from my experience is somewhat hard to land the 4th hit, which is your goal. Normally I just spam bairs in the air, but if you feel your spacing is good enough, go ahead and try it.

Dair is seriously underatted. It has just too many applications. dair out of shield, land behind their shield so they can't shield grab...If they get hit by one of the kicks, chances are they're going to get hit by the 4th, which has ridiculous knockback. I'll dair all day if i'm coming down on top of somebody...I have 4 hits to interrupt their attack with, it's a safe option.

Fair is probably the worst of snake's aerials. It's really just too slow to hit anyone with, and they will just smack you out of it before you can get it off. If you're fighting another snake that's recovering from below the stage, then it's easy to spike them, but you can just grab their cypher so it's really pointless. I haven't really found many applications for snake's fair, but i'm sure they are out there...or maybe not.

All in all, Snake's aerial game *****.

YellowSnowDemon

Smash Rookie
Snake is pretty nice, I just won another game online with him, the "solid slide" is amazing when used right, and the missile and grenades, naw he has no bad points except lag and speed but his strength covers for it.

How do you do the Solid Slide?

Also, lots of characters that spam ranged moves seem to give me trouble. Wolf is tough w/ his lasers, and Samus can be annoying. For the most part, Snake is pretty good though.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Snake's fair is **** if you can get the spacing and situations down. For example, I was playing against an Ike, and I AAA combo'd him off the stage. Now, he was barely off the stage, but I was keeping up with him. He does his midair jump, while I'm in the middle of my shorthop. I'm going for the fair, and he knows it, so he's trying to grab the ledge to get some invincibility frames. I totally see it coming, and I time my fastfall so that I hit Ike's head just as he's about to make the grab. I come down, as well as Snake's foot, and next thing anyone knows, Ike's flying down so fast, it'd make Melee's Falco look slow. I win, epic fair spike, and no one congratulates me.

I hate that.

Vandeal

Smash Rookie
Personally I found his weak points to be his air game because you have to rely on Bair to defend yourself, but his Bair is powerful enough that sometimes thats all you need. As far as needing knock out moves I just go with either his 3 piece jab which will knock them back pretty far most of the time then use the Nakita to edge guard and finish em off or I'll do the dash cancel into the Usmash, that can take most people out at the right percentage.

Hax

Smash Champion
well, his air game aint that good defensively, but for killing/edgeguarding his air moves are beast. overall a really good character imo, but extremely complicated since you always have lots of options with him.

Zero000

Smash Rookie
People complaining about Snake's airgame? i love his Bair, its fast, same with Uair. Dair, i get mixed results using it, it feels like it has a small hitrange. Fair.... meh too slow, fun to whip out when people arn't paying attention.

the only problem with snake's air game is the landing lag, he takes alot of frames until he recovers, in which durin that time others can run up and do whatever (... if they're fast/smart enough).

and snake has alot of good normals to use so the Damage decay thing wont affect snake that much.

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
dont worry guys, ill start placing high in tournament with snake and he can rise up the tier list.
I'm with you, ex-Falcon brother. The new Falcon is just too piss-poor to use. I was trying out Ganondorf and Snake (Arguably the next manliest characters in the game) and after seeing ******* Snake, I gave him a try. I think he has a lot of potential for top tier, definitely.

ch_checkmeout

Smash Apprentice
His Fsmash is more of a mindgame KO. I never was able to kill someone with it intentionally, but Fsmashing the wrong way and having your opponent instinctively roll into it might be good.

What else.. Oh. He's ****ing slow.

ChrisLionheart

Smash Apprentice
snake is truly some of dat serious ****. his A>A>A combo can kill. That's already enough. But ontop of that, his forward tilt can kill, his explosives are insane, his air game is solid, he can recover from almost anywhere, AND he even looks the most badass. This isn't melee, being fast doesnt necessarily ensure victory anymore, snake is a tank, you don't ever really have to move unless you are evading, especially on final destination. He is the perfect turtle character.

Fafnir

Smash Apprentice
One of the things I definetly love about Snake is that most of his weaknesses are only there if you allow them to be there. You have no reason to Fsmash with a beastly Ftilt and Nair to get the job done, and you can cover up your lack of melee range with your explosives. The sheer amount of viable options Snake has help to eliminate many other potential weaknesses is incredible. Where as some characters may have to rely on certain moves that leave them vulnerable in order to fullfill a certain purpose, Snake always has multiple options at his disposal, which allow him to cover different problems from many different angles.

The only REAL problem is deciding what to use...

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, I forgot. Snake's ***** has been nerfed in this game. That's why his pummel attack does little damage.

Top Bottom