• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does the ability to attack after his upB...

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
Give Sonic one of the best recoveries we've seen so far?

I mean, he can do anything out of it besides his b moves. I mean, this means he can air dodge potential edge guards, even after his upB. the pure height of his upB and the fact that you can do this makes it better than a LARGE amount of the recoveries we've seen in previous installments of Smash. The only thing he lacks is a good stall move, and also that the upB isnt an attack in its own.

In reality, this topic is an attempt to spark some actually move related discussion in the sonic boards. so yeah... discuss :laugh:

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
Basically outlined my views in my post. i think its a good move, but the fact that its not an attack could be a problem...

ValiantVernon

Smash Journeyman
yea i agree its gonna have pros and cons like all smash characters up b's
Just like u said good for recovery and nothing else, but in all truth i think it will equal out. My only thing is i use Links up b, and his b move set in general, a fairly large amount so not using up b ever is gonna be kinda weird but like i said equality in smash has never been a huge problem lol

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I think he can only do moves out of his up+b if he starts it on the ground, but I'm not sure.
It's fair like that since it looks like it doesn't do damage to anyone else, and it stays there for a bit so others can use it.

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
I think he can only do moves out of his up+b if he starts it on the ground, but I'm not sure.
that would be an interesting little handicap, but i didnt pay enough attention to see if its true...

could someone de/confirm this?

LuCKy

Smash Master
well sonics up b was really diffrent i mean no auto sweet spot was kind whack but then being able to do a moves after was really great i seen a lot of people use the dair to get back to the ground faster well the point is its gonna be a really different up b might not be the best but its gonna be really different none the less one of the most unique up b's ever by far

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
Just because it doesnt auto sweetspot like everyone else's upBs doesnt mean you cant do it the old fashioned way lol.

LuCKy

Smash Master
yea i know this but i mean for the hole 4 days at e for all i didnt pick anyone but sonic lol so i didnt expierence some of the stuff like the auto sweet spot or that hugging thing for some reason i couldnt do it with soniv e would take off to fast lol now im not saying that its gonna suck because there is no auto sweet spot i like it a lot i was just saying even if its not the best its definitely gonna be one of the most unique

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
I think that maybe sonic couldn't auto sweetspot or hug because of a program glitch more than the fact that he just couldn't. i mean, maybe he really was too fast to hug the wall, but that didn't make sense to me....

LuCKy

Smash Master
maybe but im not sure if other people were able to hug as for me i couldnt...but maybe that was just me doing it wrong or something

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
That kicking move is his Dair, right? Does that make him fall faster? If it does, or if it's cancelable, then edgegaurders got no chance at all.

Also, I read that if you use the spring jump in midair, it will fall down and bonk people on the head. That's. . .well, it's not a negative, so more power to him.

LuCKy

Smash Master
haha i did that at e for all and killed somebody by accident trying to recover but im sure i told gimpy about it like a hundred times lol i was all excited when i did it

LuCKy

Smash Master
did you ever try it off the stage lol it was kinda game over since you cant cancel it

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Apparently you can cancel it by double jumping lol...

i guess i didnt try that >_>
rofl nub

So his mid-air spring falls down after you use it?
So it can't help for recovering in doubles.. boo
How's the knockback for it? Does it, like, spike? o_o

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
Well, i figured the way i said it would imply that i did try it, but it didnt work for me. but i guess i was expecting too much of the slow people...

and the spring has like, no knockback, and very little damage, so it could help in doubles recoveries by reseting the teammate's upB

~S@G3~

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
SAGE#234
I think the simple fact that he cant sweet spot the edge will devestate him in the long run. I mean he can attack out of it and all but he will be much easier to edge guard now i think.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I think the simple fact that he cant sweet spot the edge will devestate him in the long run. I mean he can attack out of it and all but he will be much easier to edge guard now i think.
Well, you can always sweetspot the normal way (like we did in Melee.) Or you can simply go above your opponents heads and then side B your way accross the stage. Conventional edgeguards (character on stage attacks recovering character) shouldn't really work on Sonic just because of how variable his recovery will be.

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
I mean like upBing so that you stop going up right when your at the ledge, don't waste time falling to catch it...

Cless

Smash Champion
I don't think any stage is going to have a low enough floor for that, but who knows? Sonic's up b apparently sends him outrageously high, but I haven't really seen how high personally, so maybe I'm overestimating it.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
I don't think any stage is going to have a low enough floor for that, but who knows? Sonic's up b apparently sends him outrageously high, but I haven't really seen how high personally, so maybe I'm overestimating it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BOtMayVuVg
His UpB shows up at 0:50 and 1:00. As you can see, it's pretty high.

I like this guy better than the booth girls.

Oh, and you can hear the victory theme quite clearly as well.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's height seemed like it was just a little bit longer than Fox's up B. Certain stages (Final Destination, Dreamland,ect.) should have low enough floors to sweetspot manually.

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
wel...

Since it doesn't have the auto edge sweep/sweet spot, that kinda sucks. But how good doing a move out of it is depends on what point of the recovery you can begin to use moves. The earlier he can do a move out of it, the better it will be. Plus he has forward B and such to use as well.
We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I wouldn't say it's the best but it definately opens up for some cool gameplay.It won't be as easy for your opponent to take advantage of your recovery if you can attack them. Even when Sonic was first reveiled Sakurai showed how he could use his moves to attack and return without using his jumps. The lack of a sweet spot sucks but he has to have cons to his moves.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I honestly think this ability to be more conducive to his ability to chase people high in the air for comboing/juggling than recovery. Nothing Sonic can do after using Up+B actually increases his recovery, so he'll still be open for edgeguarding.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
I've got a question. If he hits an enemy, does he stop going up, or does he just plow right through them, like GW? I heard somewhere that it does very minor damage with absolutely no knockback, but does it make them flinch, or is it like Fox's laser?

Thanks in advance.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
You fly right trough them, but I think(not sure) the spring indeed does damage, but only before you've reached midpoint of the flight.

SonicTHP

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicTHP
3DS FC
4897-6845-2284
In that video posted earlier (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BOtMayVuVg), you can see Sonic sweetspot the edge at the top of his up b at about 0:40. Perhaps it will be more frequnet that there are stages with low enough floors for him to do so.

And what about Sonic's up B as a trap for people trying come back to the stage, by intentionally placing a spring where they land and attacking, perhaps using the supposedly powerful aerial up. Perhaps not the most effective edge guard, but it could be a possibility.

Cless

Smash Champion
How soon can you air dodge after he uses the up b? I'm thinking that it might not be as easy to edgeguard Sonic if he can air dodge immediately after he uses his up b.

Jisike

Smash Journeyman
You can do any air action (except the other b moves ofcourse) after sonic reaches the peak of his jump.

The knockback from getting hit by sonic on the way up is similar to getting lasered by falco.

About time someone revived this thread >_>.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I think the Up-B will be useful even without damage. Look at Pichu's or Zelda's. Those don't do any damage or knockback (well the beginning or Zelda's does but that barely counts) and they are still beastly recoveries, at least in length. As long as Sonic's allows you to ride the wall of a stage unlike Zelda, it should be pretty cool.

Top Bottom