• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does personality influence one's choice of their primary character? (SURVEY)

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
This topic is bringing people out of the woodwork... I don't recognize 90% of you weirdos.

Last edited:

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Not to rain on the parade, buttt

Please be aware that the MBTI is pretty much gutter-garbage that is only still perpetrated because it has been easy to disperse into pop psych culture and the makers of it do a very good job of making it sound believable. In terms of validity and even reliability it's close to universally agreed upon as the worst well-known formal personality measure there is. By a lot.

The provided link is also not to a real MBTI. I would hazard a guess that no one involved has ever taken a real MBTI unless they were administered one as part of a (bad) personality study. You have to pay money or be part of a study / assessment under a certified professional to take the real MBTI. So you're taking a ripoff of an extremely questionable personality test.

What I'm trying to say is that any results derived from this survey will be approximately as meaningful as results derived from a survey trying to link character mains to the results of a Buzzfeed "What Disney Princess Are You?" quiz. Make of that what you will before investing time into this.

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
Not to rain on the parade, buttt

Please be aware that the MBTI is pretty much gutter-garbage that is only still perpetrated because it has been easy to disperse into pop psych culture and the makers of it do a very good job of making it sound believable. In terms of validity and even reliability it's close to universally agreed upon as the worst well-known formal personality measure there is. By a lot.

The provided link is also not to a real MBTI. I would hazard a guess that no one involved has ever taken a real MBTI unless they were administered one as part of a (bad) personality study. You have to pay money or be part of a study / assessment under a certified professional to take the real MBTI. So you're taking a ripoff of an extremely questionable personality test.

What I'm trying to say is that any results derived from this survey will be approximately as meaningful as results derived from a survey trying to link character mains to the results of a Buzzfeed "What Disney Princess Are You?" quiz. Make of that what you will before investing time into this.
The inherent flaw of MBTI is that there is no way to differentiate the types when it comes to the degree in which a particular individual possesses a quality represented by one of the letters. Say we have two INTPs, but one of them scored around the 0-10% range for all of those qualities while the other scored 90-100% for all of them. These two people are obviously going to behave very differently from one another despite their shared personality type.

However, the reason this is the case is because we are only looking at two people. In the case of this survey we already have over 1000 people with a complete entry. With this many people we begin to balance out the high and low outliers with one another as they appear, with a high outlier being someone that scored close to 100% on at least one of their traits and a low outlier being someone that scored close to 0% on at least one of their traits. As more and more people gather, these personality types that used to represent individuals begin to represent a massive numbers of people, except that the average member of these groups is far more likely to rest in the more average ranges of the scale.

In any case, the point of this survey was not to make a point or to draw any important conclusions. I was simply curious about this and it seems like other people were in the same boat as me.

Last edited:

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
I would encourage you to learn more about criticisms of the MBTI. What you are simply saying is not true--studying massive amounts of people have only made the flaws of the test more evident. There's more wrong with the test than consisting entirely of 4 binary qualifiers (although that doesn't help it for sure lol).

Not here to get into a debate or give a mini-thesis on the faults of the MBTI or anything, just thought people should know--there are a lot of people that (think they) draw real meaningful conclusions from these kinds of things and let it inform their lives, when it really shouldn't do so any more than a Disney Princess quiz.

Have a good day all lol

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
INTP Roy.
Interesting to see so many INTP types here, considering how its supposed to be a rare personality type.
I remember Meyers-Briggs being passed around in other parts of Smashboards, many times. INTPs seem to like video games.

INTP Ganondorf btw

Edit:
I'd also see if personality has correlation to whether people use L or R
What about people who use both? Shield with R, cancel and airdodge with L. Easier to wavedash OoS for me that way :)

Last edited:

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
The guy that said the four binary qualifiers was something wrong with the test - the Big Five, which is generally accepted among psychologists, is pretty much five binary qualifiers instead of four. Even some of the same categories (introversion and extroversion). You could even argue it just de-Jungs the MBTI and makes it more understandable. The big thing it adds is neuroticism and that's about it.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Yay, ENTP pals. BUT EVEYONE STILL HATES FALCO?!?!

Marth secondary, but mainly because I'm just copying PPMD at this point / play him when my tech is rusty.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
The guy that said the four binary qualifiers was something wrong with the test - the Big Five, which is generally accepted among psychologists, is pretty much five binary qualifiers instead of four. Even some of the same categories (introversion and extroversion). You could even argue it just de-Jungs the MBTI and makes it more understandable. The big thing it adds is neuroticism and that's about it.
Uhhhhh okay not to be that guy but that's just wrong, the Big 5 is not binary

The Big 5 does have some contention too (not nearly as much of course) but that's not the point

A proper formal Big 5 test doesn't just say, for example, "Agreeable" or "Not Agreeable." Each trait is scored on a point scale (I think the main test is out of a max of 31 but that could be wrong, memory is a little fuzzy). It is not binary, there are more than two states that a score can be. The MBTI does not meaningfully do this. It just says for a given category if you're X or Y. That's an enormous difference (and also means the Big 5 is objectively not a binary scale).

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman

The Big 5 does have some contention too (not nearly as much of course) but that's not the point

A proper formal Big 5 test doesn't just say, for example, "Agreeable" or "Not Agreeable." Each trait is scored on a point scale (I think the main test is out of a max of 31 but that could be wrong, memory is a little fuzzy). It is not binary, there are more than two states that a score can be. The MBTI does not meaningfully do this. It just says for a given category if you're X or Y. That's an enormous difference (and also means the Big 5 is objectively not a binary scale).
I guess what I meant is, it accepts the ideas of MBTI while changing its methodology to be more scientific. To be on a continuum between two descriptors rather than just one or the other. There's still some flaws with even the Big Five.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I kinda forgot forgot what I got but the picture was like this green hippie lady, I'm pretty sure it was INFP and I play captain falcon
If she had green hair and a green shirt with a black tie while wearing a green bag walking on a mountain, it would be ENFP.

I got ENFP and I main Squirtle for days, but I'm the lone ranger for that category I guess.

Last edited:

Zarek

Smash Rookie
I think the most of us know not to take the test to heart so you can quit being an intellectual wet blanket and have fun with the little experiment

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord

The MBTI has still a lot of information compression. Of course, the more variables you are looking at and the finer you distinguish between values at those, the better results you will get. These are of course better in categoriting and viewing the personality in detail, but unfit for a survey like this where you want approximate results.

Habefiet

Smash Journeyman
Some people treat the MBTI like an irrefutable truth machine proving who you really are, seriously--if you haven't met anyone like that, count yourself lucky. That's all I'm really trying to avoid here lol

I'm out, not *really* trying to make a fuss, just wanted to throw all that stuff on the table, enjoy taking a gander the eventual infographic

Last edited:

gijn

Smash Cadet
This test put me as INTP done the real Briggz few years ago and I was ENTP Zelda main in all games come at me

_Chrome

Smash Ace
ENTJ Charizard right here! I also play Link, Zero Suit Samus, Ness and Snake, amongst a few others. :)

Last edited:

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
ENTP and Mario. Really interested in this. Would've been cool to throw secondaries/comain in there, but I can see the mathematical headache

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Some people treat the MBTI like an irrefutable truth machine proving who you really are, seriously--if you haven't met anyone like that, count yourself lucky. That's all I'm really trying to avoid here lol

I'm out, not *really* trying to make a fuss, just wanted to throw all that stuff on the table, enjoy taking a gander the eventual infographic
Well, I appreciate your information. I've run into personality test people and I've generally considered tests a pile of bunk, but there's just no convincing them because some people just really want to shove themselves and others into categories based off of stuff like photos of friends/family on your work desk and which way the photos are facing. It's annoying.

That said I participated in the survey because I've already taken free versions of MBTI so it was easy.

Linux_F_Smash

Smash Cadet
Yesterday I came across an interesting online test that categorizes those who take it into 16 different groups of personalities; this was the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, the classic psychometric questionnaire dating all the way back from 1962. Someone (Shadow293903) posted a link to this in the Project M chat at Anther's Smash Ladder and suddenly everybody was sharing their results with each other.

After looking at my own results, I found a statistic claiming that my personality type encompassed only 3% of the world's population. However, after looking at the chat I could see that there was at least one other person who got the same result as I did. It may have just been one person, but it made me think, "what are the odds of that?"

I began thinking that my personality type could possibly be more common among smashers like myself, which is obviously a far smaller pool than the entire world's population. Soon afterwards, I began wondering whether it could be possible that a vastly different distribution of personality types existed within the smash community as compared to the entire world.

This same diversity reminded me of how some characters are more commonly played than others. Delving deeper into this, I wondered if there was even more diversity among those who played particular characters.

So I've developed a theory, and I need the Project M community as a resource to begin verifying it.

The basis of this theory was developed on a post I had once seen on Smashboards, which was something along the lines of, "Is it just me, or are all the Ice Climber mains just homies?" I was reminded of this when I learned that the character that I main was also the main of the person in the ladder chat that shared my personality type. Now what are the odds of that?

I've created a survey to try and figure this out. It requires that you know your personality type before you answer anything on it, so you might as well get that out of the way before starting.

You can take it here:
CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE SURVEY

As is true of all surveys, the results will not be made public until after a certain amount of time has passed. I will be editing this main post with the results on February 17th (I may or may not close the survey at the same time, we'll see). It would be helpful and very much appreciated if those of you who are also curious about the results could spread this survey around the internet a bit so that the data can be as accurate as possible.

I'll also be editing this post later with what exactly my theory is and how I plan to lay out the results for it. Feel free to post what character and personality type you entered for the survey on this thread in the meantime.

-IMPORTANT NOTE-

Please remember to fill out questions 3 and 4! Lots of people seem to be getting the impression that they don't need to fill these out since questions 1 and 2 asked for the exact same thing. THIS IS INTENTIONAL. You should be putting in the same answers for 3 and 4 as you did for 1 and 2. If you didn't fill out questions 3 and 4, then your data will not be considered when everything is compiled.
ENTJ Peaxh

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
As a quick update for all of you, the survey has been completed by 1,505 people thus far. The amount of data received is starting to become significant, but splitting up all of the people into their respective groups leaves certain minorities lacking in the way of a statistically reliable sample pool. I would elaborate further, but I fear that doing so would affect the results of the survey.

To put it simply, we need a lot more people to complete the survey in order to attain reliable results. 1,505 is impressive to be sure, but it just isn't enough for what is trying to be accomplished. 25,000 would be the ideal goal, but I don't feel like it's much of a realistic one given the available timeframe; I feel like it could be possible to make it to 5,000 by the closure date.

However, I don't see this happening either judging by the steadily dropping rate of new respondents. If you want to see more reliable results for your dearly treasured minorities, this survey needs to spread around until it eventually gets noticed by some of them. This does not mean that you should present the survey directly to those you believe are minorities. It should instead be presented to large communities that contain a healthy variety of PM smashers so that the results can stay as unbiased as possible.

The results are starting to look very interesting, so I'd like to see this get more exposure. The survey fell off of the front page of the PM Reddit, so it's time to start looking in other places. Huge thanks go out to everybody helping me with this.

An INTP with a PM Squirtle and Melee Marth and Sheik here. Woah. Someone should really do this for Melee too.
I'm considering it. It'll definitely have to be after this survey closes, though. Staying on top of all of the trends in the data is proving to be a lot of work.

Exodo

Smash Ace
INTJ, Ganondorf

note: was getting tired as **** doing the personality test, was about tho quit not sure if that could influence in something in this survey

Cpt.

Smash Lord
INTJ (I even took the test twice to make sure because I had gotten ISTJ in high school).

Snake, Wolf, Ganondorf (in that order for competitive use)

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
INTJ (I even took the test twice to make sure because I had gotten ISTJ in high school).

Snake, Wolf, Ganondorf (in that order for competitive use)
Nice "mastermind" personality type! ;) It really does take a smart player to play a good snake, eh? (Wow. I've really become a stereotypical Canadian. -_-)

Top Bottom