• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does personality influence one's choice of their primary character? (SURVEY)

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
ENTJ and Sonic :b: Secondary Wolf, if it matters, among others if you care lol

@ _Chrome _Chrome you must have gotten it from me

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
ENTJ and Sonic :b: Secondary Wolf, if it matters, among others if you care lol

@ _Chrome _Chrome you must have gotten it from me
I definitely did, EH?

~

But in all seriousness, this thread is brilliant, and I encourage everyone to share it with their friends so we can not only reach out to minorities, but make the results more accurate in general! :)

Last edited:

Payton

Smash Cadet
If she had green hair and a green shirt with a black tie while wearing a green bag walking on a mountain, it would be ENFP.

I got ENFP and I main Suirtle for days, but I'm the lone ranger for that category I guess.
I acutely am a squirtle player, but he is my secondary. I used to main Hume in 3.0

pipp

Dogfish
NNID
Kirby747
3DS FC
1289-8230-4554
INTP PM Lucas/Ike reporting in, but Marth in Melee.

Last edited:

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
ENTP, Fox, Gannon and Marth are both pet characters of mine though.
Also this is an exaggeration, but the test really is limited in its' accuracy, people are not consistent enough to be sorted in binary terms http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-28315137.
That's the thing, though; people don't need to be consistent for the purpose of this survey. With enough people, the statistics that have been gathered are enough to even out the inconsistencies due to the variety of inconsistencies that there are. I believe I made a comment about this earlier in this thread:

The inherent flaw of MBTI is that there is no way to differentiate the types when it comes to the degree in which a particular individual possesses a quality represented by one of the letters. Say we have two INTPs, but one of them scored around the 0-10% range for all of those qualities while the other scored 90-100% for all of them. These two people are obviously going to behave very differently from one another despite their shared personality type.

However, the reason this is the case is because we are only looking at two people. In the case of this survey we already have over 1000 people with a complete entry. With this many people we begin to balance out the high and low outliers with one another as they appear, with a high outlier being someone that scored close to 100% on at least one of their traits and a low outlier being someone that scored close to 0% on at least one of their traits. As more and more people gather, these personality types that used to represent individuals begin to represent a massive numbers of people, except that the average member of these groups is far more likely to rest in the more average ranges of the scale.

In any case, the point of this survey was not to make a point or to draw any important conclusions. I was simply curious about this and it seems like other people were in the same boat as me.
I read through the article that you provided and it has some valid points, but the gripe that it seems to have with the MBTI is that people are trying to pass it off as a legitimate way to predict the career path of isolated individuals in attempt to make a profit. This isn't anything remotely similar to the goal that I had when I made this survey, which was to see if there would be any correlation between results on this personality test that I stumbled across on the internet with character mains in a video game. The article was also so gracious as to provide sources that defend the test's validity, seeming to validate the use of the MBTI for non-entrepreneurial uses such as this survey.

This isn't a call out on you or anything; I'm probably making a bigger deal of this than I should be. I'm really just trying to address the legitimately valid point that you brought up so that people reading this can have a better understanding of this whole situation.

Last edited:

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
INTP, Zelda. (Also Sheik, not written in survey).

It seems like most INTPs in this thread play a character that zones via disjoints, or somehow zones via a quick gimmick that can be optimized and leaves very little to risk when properly utilized. I've seen Squirtle, who can get around and has armor that can operate almost as a disjoint for safety, I've seen many Roys and Marths, all disjoints, and a few Nesses, which can fish with safe moves before moving into a string, and also a Fox or two, who can zip in and out of confrontation just as safely with optimized movement and safe approaches. I myself do play Marth and Fox, but I eventually ended up on Zelda for years now because all I do is fish for kicks and occasionally heckle with Din's if my opponent really won't approach after 30 seconds of fishing. So we're just ******* that dream of maximizing % with very little to risk or trade in optimal conditions.

Shadowsoftime99

Smash Rookie
ISTJ and Mewtwo.

Looking at the description of it, it makes almost perfect sense, considering M2's playstyle and personality.

EDIT: If it means anything, I'm looking into pickup up one of the Spacies, probably Wolf.

Last edited:

Cpt.

Smash Lord
INTJ Fox main master race peasants please step aside.
I hope that you are being serious about this because I really am curious to see the results of this thread. When I see something like this it makes me think that people are adding false data which is really lame.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
I hope that you are being serious about this because I really am curious to see the results of this thread. When I see something like this it makes me think that people are adding false data which is really lame.
Oh I'm being serious and I'm quite interested as well, never fear.

Ray mk. IV

Smash Rookie
NNID
SolidSnake01
3DS FC
0619-5282-1723
ISTJ and Mewtwo.

Looking at the description of it, it makes almost perfect sense, considering M2's playstyle and personality.

EDIT: If it means anything, I'm looking into pickup up one of the Spacies, probably Wolf.
I'm ISTJ and Mewtwo. Falco is my secondary and I'm going to start using Wolf.

Huwinner

Smash Rookie
INTP and I play Kirby
Why doesn't anybody play Kirby ;_;
But I'm also learning Marth, so I'm one of many there :D

J-Rev96

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-4365-4200
Lots of INFP here. Kirby with Melee Marth/Falco on the side for Match-up coverage.

Last edited:

Keman

Smash Apprentice
I thought there would be 0% correlation in this data at first. Then I scrolled and a few posts down was an INTJ (like myself) that was a Mario main (like myself). I still however from reading through this thread have seen INTJ's all over the board from IC's, Ganon, Luigi, Snake, to master race Fox's so eh. I doubt we will see much symmetry in the relationship between the 2.

I however would be more interested in just the raw data as in the character main %'s across the forums.

JeffsMov

Smash Journeyman
About 4 Marios, 1-ENFP 2-INTJ 1-ENTP.

I'm -that actually say it on the threat- INTP Mario main. (There is another INTP out there that use Mario, but in Melee)

Btw, someone else turn the tap jump off? I really hate it and I prefer to use X/L to jump and R to shield while I put Y to Footstool.

I choose Mario becuase, in my point of view, he is a all round melee balanced character, with somewhat fast attacks and moviments, and that I can really play him in any way I want.
Tho, as a Smash 64 veteran, I'm already used to him. I learned almost every AT and practice every day, along with Roy, I know what is Mario able to do and what new thing I can try with him.

Last edited:

Dregnox

Smash Rookie
Another INTP Marth, for PM and Melee.
I'm maining Kirby currently but the switch was so I wouldnt mess myself up subconsciously in Melee. I havent played competitive since the switch and I'd honestly use Marth in a tourney as my strongest lead at the end of the day.

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
It can still be used, and for some people will be accurate, however you missed the point. The biggest downfall of the system is that people can and will get different results in different moods, mostly because people exist in a spectrum so to speak and cannot really be categorized in the way the test tries to do it. In other words the results themselves aren't always accurate in a very basic form, mostly on the high and low end of the result spectrums due to inconsistency in people and the limited scope of the test itself. And you raise a fair point of things averaging out, to an extent, they will, I wonder if that could be addressed by collecting the raw percentile data and comparing that on a character by character basis. Anyway that's all, it doesn't discredit what you're doing, (and I'm interested in the results for sure), as it would be unreasonable to try to sort through some of the more accurate tests to find correlations without putting in alot of extra research and work. It was just something I wanted to bring to your attention. Glad you liked the article by the way, love it when people have the sense to present both sides of the issue.

Last edited:

randomguy90

Smash Rookie
INTP Ivysaur main here. Honestly, I came into PM wanting to main mewtwo for both aesthetic and tactical reasons, but found that Ivy really meshed with my playstyle. Plus one of my mains from brawl was Pokémon trainer, Ivy particularly, so picking her up was pretty fluid. Beyond Mewtwo, I also "main" Ness, Zard, and have been working on my G&W/Lucario. Interesting thread for sure, thanks for taking the time to do this!

Last edited:

Umbra of Shadows

Smash Rookie
INTJ - Ivysaur

Initially, it seems like the INTJ group is very diverse (with mains for Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, Mewtwo, Marth, Fox, and Mario).

However, it may be possible that the reasoning for playing these characters is similar: INTJs may choose characters that are often seen as unconventional (Ice Climbers, Ivyasur, Mewtwo) in hopes of using the unique aspects of those characters to their advantage by having a unique playstyle and making innovations. Alternatively, they may choose characters that are more often seen as conventional (Marth, Fox, Mario) in order to play those characters in an unconventional and innovative way, thereby giving them a unique and advantageous playstyle. In both cases, the INTJ players, myself included, would be driven to win by using strategies that others may not see as viable despite making perfect sense to the people of this personality group, causing INTJ players to play fairly differently from other players.

I would suggest that each person that takes this poll and replies to this thread explains why he/she plays his/her character, as it may allow for better analysis of data and trends to determine if one's personality type does in fact affect his/her main.

So, to begin, I chose to play as Ivysaur because I enjoyed the unconventional (yet effective) playstyle I could employ with Ivysaur, including Razor Leaf and F-Air approaches, Seed Bomb applications (keeping foes back and vertical attacking), Down Throw combos, and the strategic timing of Synthesis and Solar Beam, just to name a few aspects of it.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on my hypothesis?

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
INTJ - Ivysaur

Initially, it seems like the INTJ group is very diverse (with mains for Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, Mewtwo, Marth, Fox, and Mario).

However, it may be possible that the reasoning for playing these characters is similar: INTJs may choose characters that are often seen as unconventional (Ice Climbers, Ivyasur, Mewtwo) in hopes of using the unique aspects of those characters to their advantage by having a unique playstyle and making innovations. Alternatively, they may choose characters that are more often seen as conventional (Marth, Fox, Mario) in order to play those characters in an unconventional and innovative way, thereby giving them a unique and advantageous playstyle. In both cases, the INTJ players, myself included, would be driven to win by using strategies that others may not see as viable despite making perfect sense to the people of this personality group, causing INTJ players to play fairly differently from other players.

I would suggest that each person that takes this poll and replies to this thread explains why he/she plays his/her character, as it may allow for better analysis of data and trends to determine if one's personality type does in fact affect his/her main.

So, to begin, I chose to play as Ivysaur because I enjoyed the unconventional (yet effective) playstyle I could employ with Ivysaur, including Razor Leaf and F-Air approaches, Seed Bomb applications (keeping foes back and vertical attacking), Down Throw combos, and the strategic timing of Synthesis and Solar Beam, just to name a few aspects of it.

I'm an INTJ Ivysaur as well

I could sum it up by saying "well, duh, she can shoot lasers out of her butt, of course I was going to play her" and it would get the jist of it, but if you want me to be more elaborate :
I think (not sure, self analysis can only go so far) that I picked her up due to how rewarding her sound effects felt : Ivysaur's strongest moves are her bulb attacks which all have a special healing sound effect if you sweetspot them, the vine whip, which has the baseball bat sound effect if you tipper it, and the solar beam, which has this great and unique "WHOOSH" to it. So it really feels rewarding to land those moves as Ivysaur (too bad they nerfed the vine whip into oblivion, it was needed but damn does it feel unrewarding to land)
Even her less powerful moves have unique sounds to them. A good portion of them are multihit moves, and those always sound great, and the rest are whip moves so they have a very unique sound to them..

Shockbound

Smash Apprentice
INTJ - Ivysaur

I have the same understanding about finding satisfaction in being unconventional. My type was INTP, but the difference between that and INTJ isn't all that big. To me, the potential for widespread playstyle diversity is one of the most appealing qualities of Project M. It's one of few games where I've been rewarded for trying to be unique, but it's been the only game in which I've been rewarded enough for it to actually be comparable to using the more mainstream methods of play.

My preference for unconventionality manifests itself in several ways, but the most evident one comes from the fact that I play Mr. Game & Watch competitively. The sheer variety of uses that each of his moves carry is what makes him so appealing to me; his moves don't have sweetspots or sourspots, but they have sweet or sour "times" where the same move can range from being very strong to very weak the longer the hitbox stays out. Proper timing of these moves results in outstanding combos that are different every time. His neutral may be weak, but I've always preferred careful planning and setup for huge payoffs over ones that are drawn out over time. Additionally, the fact that nobody in my region has any idea what this character is supposed to do just makes it all the more satisfying to blather endlessly about his massive supply of unique features and quirks.

Thank you for bringing this up, this reminded me of the reason why I decided to keep the results hidden while the survey was still open. I had the same thought you did, so I knew that many people who play a particular character like to think that they are "special" because of it (and they often are when only considering their local environment). If I had the results visible while these people were still submitting entries, it could potentially discourage them from admitting who they really play if they get the impression that everybody and their mother plays the same thing. This could heavily affect the results of the survey since it would not accurately reflect the amount of people who play certain characters.

Speaking of which, the survey is closing TODAY at 12:00 PM (PST). If you or somebody you know has not yet submitted an entry, do it right this instant since you will not get a chance to do so afterwards. Once the survey has closed, I will begin working on crunching the numbers into a presentable format since they will have finally stopped changing. This could take a good deal of time, and I cannot guarantee that I will get all of it done until later tonight. Rest assured that the results will become public as soon as I am done with all of the compiling.

In the meantime, I'd like to see everyone's thoughts about what Umbra posted. Why do you think you play your character?

Last edited:

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
So I'm super intrigued to review the results of this study actually. I wish birthdates were also a field in this survey too, but nevertheless, I made a mistake.

Made it to question 3 and tried to double-back because I thought it was a repeat question. Thought I could just go back and re-submit the entire survey. But now you've got at least one incomplete data sample. Hopefully incomplete samples will be disregarded. I'll resubmit my data from a different location later, but perhaps a different surveying tool would avoid issues like this.

Top Bottom