• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone here play using "The Claw"?

Kiyoru

Smash Cadet
I hear that used around, but I don't even know what it is.

It's a way to hold the controller, right? How does it work?

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Yeah, i use it. I don't play fox, but when i'm doing falco's lhdl.. i switch to claw, i don't use claw my entire time playing a match. If i'm on the ledge, and i'm gonna do a lhdl i'll move my index finger onto Y, then do a lhdl

for you who don't know what it is.. (Walshy got it really popular from halo, cause he uses it in halo2)

it's just another way to hold a controller, when i use it, i have my right index finger sort of curled, onto the y button, but like i said before... i only use it when i'm on the ledge.

dawn001

Smash Ace
yeah it is true be careful cause by doing the claw it can hurt your hand or wrist...but i hear that javi the best fox in mexico plays like that using the claw. i talk to him before about it how he uses the claw and he told me that he uses only 3 fingers the thumb,pointer finger and the middle finger...

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
I only claw for games like madden, so I can hold in A (run) and press C (truck stick) at the same time. I don't think I claw for smash, though.

Pritch

Smash Lord
Colbol uses the claw. He grips the joystick with like 3 fingers.
Not the same thing. They're talking about holding your right hand above the controller so you're able to use multiple fingers to hit A, B, etc. It's fairly common with traditional fighters (I've seen a lot of soulcaliber players do it, for example).

Though I thought about colin pretending his controller was an arcade stick too.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I double claw :).

orintemple

Smash Lord
It is really strange to hold it like that. That isn't the natural way the controller is meant to be held and it just feels strange. I would think you would have to have used it like that from the beginning to do it at all, or maybe you just really wanted to hold it that way and did intensive training. I've never met anyone who does it.

Although I have met a guy who uses the control stick with 3 fingers, which is also incredibly awkward.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I heard M2K uses this technique.

Btw, speaking of weird ways of holding the controller; I have this friend who lost use of his left arm when he was born...

so he plays with his left foot and right hand. He mains Falco, and can waveshine and stuff. I'll post a vid of it soon, we just had a tournament and he attended.

0_0

TheLake

Smash Master
I heard M2K uses this technique.

Btw, speaking of weird ways of holding the controller; I have this friend who lost use of his left arm when he was born...

so he plays with his left foot and right hand. He mains Falco, and can waveshine and stuff. I'll post a vid of it soon, we just had a tournament and he attended.

0_0
Thats very intriguing and i wanna see a vid of that. My one friend plays with his feet but he sucks (of course he has both of his arms...and he only does this when hes drunk...) unless hes using zelda :laugh:

onegoal...heaven

Smash Journeyman
hahhahaha, yeah M2K uses the claw....I saw it in the interview of him at the MLG website. He usually plays whatever feels comfortable to him...so I think claw is one of his many forms.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Ahh. That's much more clear. I just haven't been clawing correctly....

BTW, Dawn001, those're some unique ways of holding controllers... (second video)
How do they grab xD?

xerdosx

Smash Rookie
cant really get the feel form those vids cam some post how they use the lik mew2king or sleintwolf or any one else who claws i could really use the help thanxs

Use the side of your index finger near the top part of it to press Y, if you jump with that. It's like using 2 hands on one side of the controller, making it easier to move around with the control stick in the process. That's how I do it.

Top Bottom