• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone here actually pay attention to spacing?

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Because I just realized that I don't lol.

I really don't... and yet I still have pretty decent spacing, I don't get it. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah =S

JCav

Smash Lord
its a sub conscious thing, in the back of your mind you know that if your bair hits a shield, youll probably die

so you sub consciously train not to

Equi

Smash Ace
Train yourself not to attack your opponent directly, but narrowing the possibilities of where your opponent can move. It's a form of spacing.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Train yourself not to attack your opponent directly, but narrowing the possibilities of where your opponent can move. It's a form of spacing.
I always just called this "covering options" But I guess it can be called a form of spacing too haha.

And yeah Jcav, I think a lot of it is unconscious. But I know that in the back of my mind if I hit a shield with bair it's not the end of the world. I can safely do a retreating bair behind DDD without fear of a grab, or Bair =)

But yeah, it's an aspect of my game that I haven't really focused on recently...and now that I think about it I have no idea how to except for just practice more against real people, because spacing against sandbags or training dummies doesn't really help your in-game spacing.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
You have to train the mind and body to do it right.
Go in training mode. Get friend, have him shield and try to grab you. Every time he grabs you /wrists.
If you have no friends than use your feet with a second controller. If you fail to shieldgrab then /ankles.

With luck you'll be a pro spacer in no time at all!
Or dead, I forget which.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I get compliments all the time like:

"Amazing spacing!" "Your Wolf has great spacing."

And I'm like "lolwut?"

I agree that it's something you learn sub-consciously through playing a character for a period of time.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
You only need to work on spacing if you're getting punished OoS a lot...Most characters don't have the range to punish Bair that easily, so unless your facing DDD, you have a larger margin of error...

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I have a theory for zoning DDD. If you stand right outside of his Ftilt range, i'm pretty sure you can blaster without fear of punishment and if he throws a Waddle Dee at that range, you can shield and punish with a clean Fsmash.

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
when you fsmash, you know exactly how far its range is. You don't THINK about it, you know it.
Same goes for bair

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I find that I actually space better when I'm letting it happen subconsciously. Either that, or when I try to focus on spacing I make really stupid mistakes >_>

:059:

Apollo$

Smash Ace
I think it subconsciously but if I'm up against someone like snake or meta then I seriously put it into play.

Top Bottom