• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else usually just pick 'random' characters?

Hiyayayah!

Smash Cadet
I don't really main anyone so whenever I play I always put it on 'random.'

Dunno if it's a good thing or bad thing, I guess it gets you used to playing as different ones, but then you're probs just like mediocre.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
The good thing in doing that is you get to practice with lots of characters, but as you say, maining random will prevent you from truly developing extreme skill, unless you are one of the rare few who can become pro with every character in the game.

Hiyayayah!

Smash Cadet
Yep, you're right.

Pity is the chane of me being a pro with all of em is very VERY slim.

Why do you think i pick 'random' anyway? :p :laugh:

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Yep, you're right.

Pity is the chane of me being a pro with all of em is very VERY slim.

Why do you think i pick 'random' anyway? :p :laugh:
The best thing to do in that situation is to stick with someone who you like, and focus on them for a week or so- the character boards are a real good way to help you learn the ins and outs of every character.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I do this on Wifi and when I'm just having fun with friends.

It's more of a casual thing when a competitive thing. =)

Hiyayayah!

Smash Cadet
The best thing to do in that situation is to stick with someone who you like, and focus on them for a week or so- the character boards are a real good way to help you learn the ins and outs of every character.
Yep, cool Idea :)

Yep I get what you mean :)

I usually just play with friends and on Wifi :)

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Pros:

Understanding all characters metagame to some extent
Develop a broad understanding of match ups
Can't be counter picked

Cons:

Don't develop any depth of your characters

I do this a lot, "picking random" i find it makes you a much better counter picker because you get a better feel for stages and matchups. More than my friends, I loose my first match but once we get to counter picking I usually win my 2nd and 3rd match. I counter pick and win my 2nd and then I pick my character based off the stage they choose.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob

I usually pick a random character if I'm messing around, I hardly use the actual random button, mostly because I'll end up with a character I absolutely suck with, and I don't like a lot of characters non default costumes, and I need to look stylish whilst playing.
:p

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Pros:

Understanding all characters metagame to some extent
Develop a broad understanding of match ups
Can't be counter picked

Cons:

Don't develop any depth of your characters

I do this a lot, "picking random" i find it makes you a much better counter picker because you get a better feel for stages and matchups. More than my friends, I loose my first match but once we get to counter picking I usually win my 2nd and 3rd match. I counter pick and win my 2nd and then I pick my character based off the stage they choose.
Con: high chance of ending up with a disadvantageous match-up.

-Ran

Smash Master
I only utilize random characters in friendlies that are:

1. Against scrub friends.
2. Item match.
3. Other person picked random.
4. It's requested.

Phir3

Smash Apprentice
I pick characters randomly from time to time. The only reason I don't use the random button is I usually get ICs or Yoshi(not that I don't like them, I just get tired of them really fast) .

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Con: high chance of ending up with a disadvantageous match-up.
Pro: High chance of ending up with an advantageous match-up >_>

Anyway, if you intend to compete at this game seriously, it's much better to become highly skilled with a handful of characters and be able to "really play" than to know the basics of a whole ton and not be able to do a whole lot with them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I used to use random alot until I realized that it was kind of determental to my game. Now, I still use random in a sense but I choose a different character for every match for friendlies. I don't know, I think not knowing who you're going to use in advance kind of gives you too much to think about at the beginning of a match so you're already a step behind you're opponent even if you're very familar with them.

Despite me not really having a true main, I still focus more on some characters when I'm actually training like Mario, Ness, and Wario so, during competitions, I have some characters to fall back on if the competition seems serious enough.

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
I never play as 'random' (I hate not knowing who I'm going to be) but I used to use random to select who I'd main/secondary. I'd just randomly choose a character, play with them for a few days, and if I didn't enjoy their play style after that time, I'd move on and try someone else.

It worked pretty well ^^

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I used to main Random until my mom/sisters scratched my disc. Now I can't play (or play against) Jigglypuff because my disc can't read her... so no, I no longer play as Random.

If you think about the Pro's though - you can never really be counterpicked. (Except by Meta Knight. -_-)

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
Dont try to go with turnies picking random XD

but if you play like that for..idk 2-3 years like 10 matches a day with a pro...and if you know all the teches,AT,mindgames and stuff like that and IF YOU DO get to mater ALL the chars from SSBB rooster...well hands down to you then

I main luigi already 7 years bac from melee and im best luigi player in my country..well not many ocompetetive players but still there are good players

Also secondayry Lucas,Toon Link,martch,falco,and DDD for grabs = lulz

N_N

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
Usually no but lately I definitely use random. The best part is that of the people I play with, 2 of them always do that too so in some matches we can see 3 randoms going in. Then we usually convince the last person to do random and select a stage randomly. The results are almost always lulz worthy, except for whenever we get the 25M or Ice Climber stage and we just leave and retry, haha. :chuckle:

ssbmaster2007

Smash Journeyman
I have picked Random before, but it isn't anything got into a habit of doing, I mainly play as Charizard or Lucario, they are my 1st and 2nd mains, my best characters, and my favourite of all of the other characters in the game, they are both very effective if used right. ;)

Top Bottom