• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else think Smash bros on 3ds won't be very good?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Sakurai has some experience with 3DS games and the 3DS version was going to be the only version until they decided to make a Wii U version. I think the game will be great and good as the Wii U version. It is also obvious the Wii U version looks better because it is an HD console. Gameplay should be the exact same and all you need to do is to get used to both controls of the 3DS and Wii U version.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Better controls is subjective.

Both have exclusive content. For the best experience, it's best to get both games. If you can't afford to do that, or don't want to buy the same game twice, simply get the one you prefer.

If the 3DS version isn't good, neither will the Wii U version be because they were never meant to be extremely different from one another.

I can't possibly consider a Smash game bad. Finally being able to play it on the go is that much more satisfying.

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I was worried about Smash Bros on 3DS wouldn't be very good, but not for the reasons you've listed. I'm not concerned with the Circle Pad or the buttons on a 3DS, I can work with those just fine. What bothered me was that the 3DS version is getting an earlier release than the Wii U version. I've already ordered my copy of the 3DS version last year, but when I heard that the 3DS version was gonna get an earlier release date, I figured that meant that the Wii U version will be getting a lot more attention and be worked on more than the 3DS version. The more work put into a video game usually means the better it can/will be.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The circle pad isn't as good as a regular control stick, and I don't think the buttons on 3ds are as good as Wii U.

Have you played Kid Icarus: Uprising? The Circle pad works perfectly fine, and the same dash mechanics are even intact from Smash Bros.

The Wii U version also looks better, but why do they have to release it so much later?!
Each will have it's strong suits... I doubt the Wii U will be "Better" as far as gameplay is concerned.

Pixxler

Smash Cadet
Even if i think the Wii U version will be better ... i can't wait for it so long when the 3DS version is already out so
i have to buy the 3DS version xD (i think that's the reason why 3DS comes out first)
... also a portable super smash bros is nice to have ^^ you can play ssb wherever
you want :D

^^Fire^^

Smash Cadet
The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
Even if i think the Wii U version will be better ... i can't wait for it so long when the 3DS version is already out so
i have to buy the 3DS version xD (i think that's the reason why 3DS comes out first)
... also a portable super smash bros is nice to have ^^ you can play ssb wherever
you want :D
Yeah I'm still going to get the 3ds version because I can't wait

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I have been dreaming about a portable Smash Bros. for years... and it's finally happening! I am excited for the 3ds version of Smash Bros. 4. Besides, I don't mind the circle pad at all.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
If SFIV, a more precise fighter that requires much more precise controls, can work fine on the 3DS, I see no reason why Smash won't

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
I don't see any reason that the 3DS version wouldn't be any good. I mean, let's see the facts.

• Same fun gameplay
  • Controls that can easily be adjusted to
  • Exclusive stages, songs, Smash Run
  • It's Smash. And it's portable.

I think it'll be fine. :)

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't feel as though the game is going to be very bad, but I don't think it is going to be very good either. I mean, I doubt it is going to be one of my favorite 3DS title, but it should be functional.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
The earlier release date makes sense. It's summer people go places, so a portable console would be the most efficient. The winter has the holidays and people get gifts, what would be a better gift than a smash bundle? If it happens like with MK8

TOGOpuff

Jigglyfy the world !
NNID
TOGOpuff
I think we all wonder about that but i feel it's a lack of trust and knowledge both on Sakurai (ok we can not trust him...) and on the 3ds. All i'm worried with the 3ds is responde to really fast competitive gameplay on online mode (aka spotpass). Mostly because there will be uncontrolable factors on this mode that might makeonline (and online tournaments) mode unbearable in certain places.
Although i played kid icarus on a 10mb wireless internet smoothly i can't guarantee the same will happen with SSB4 and that yes is a real problem. To all other things we can (and will) addapt.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
one queaion is if the 3ds version was to come after or same day as wii u would it get more or less sales

Morbi

Scavenger
I think more people would want the wii u version, but the 3ds version would probably still get more sales because more people have 3ds.
Not only would the 3DS outsell the Wii U by a significant margin just based on the notion that WAY MORE people own a 3DS, but the retail price is more enticing on the 3DS version as well. Most people would be intelligent enough to purchase the cheaper copy to see if they even enjoy the game before throwing down money for a console and a game... and most likely a controller or adapter.

^^Fire^^

Smash Cadet
The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
Not only would the 3DS outsell the Wii U by a significant margin just based on the notion that WAY MORE people own a 3DS, but the retail price is more enticing on the 3DS version as well. Most people would be intelligent enough to purchase the cheaper copy to see if they even enjoy the game before throwing down money for a console and a game... and most likely a controller or adapter.
But if they were the same price and you didn't need to buy a new console, I think way more people would get Wii U version. Better graphics and an actual controller.
Lots of people would probably still buy both to get all the stages.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
But if they were the same price and you didn't need to buy a new console, I think way more people would get Wii U version. Better graphics and an actual controller.
Of course, but they aren't the same price. Do you mean if the Wii U version launched at a discounted $40 retail?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Not to disclaim you or anything, but last time I checked people don't buy Smash Bros. for the stages....

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I originally did not intend on buying the 3DS version. But the direct convinced me to do so. And it so happens to have to do with the fact that it has a lot of exclusive stages.

I mean, in the end, getting them both is like getting two halves of a game (although we're lucky to get the same character roster for both). I most certainly won't miss out on it. Let alone the chance of playing SSB earlier.

BorealSun

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2852-9000-0103
Does anybody know if the D-Pad is gonna be available too? i feel like it would be but i want to be sure

ACDC

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion the 3ds version will be a way of having many players test the game to find "gliches" Like wavedashing L cancel and so on so that they can remove it for the real game. Besides, smash run makes me think that the 3ds version will be great. Why else would they spend so much time developing an exclusive version for the 3ds if they didn't believe in it. I'll say 3ds wil be 50% as fun as wiiu. But 50% of a great game is enough for me

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I could get used to Dpad-smashing... Hopefully, there's no need to taunt to switch between characters (Samus-Zamus) or get alternate stances, or anything.

D

Deleted member 245254

I could get used to Dpad-smashing... Hopefully, there's no need to taunt to switch between characters (Samus-Zamus) or get alternate stances, or anything.
It's actually quite old information that transformation characters no longer transform. All characters that do so have been split in to two characters (IE Samus & ZSS, Zelda & Sheik).

Keep up, man!

Morbi

Scavenger
Not to disclaim you or anything, but last time I checked people don't buy Smash Bros. for the stages....
Actually, that is probably one of the predominant reasons I am buying the Wii U version. I have a feeling that I am going to be disappointed with the game; I will have dropped $80 dollars just to be able to play with my sister and the newcomer roster is turning out to be one of the lamest ones yet. In a couple of months, the stages are going to be the biggest reason to convert (along with the HD upgrade, and the notion that it will be a better game). But the stages are going to be the only thing that make the game feel fresh.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Actually, that is probably one of the predominant reasons I am buying the Wii U version. I have a feeling that I am going to be disappointed with the game; I will have dropped $80 dollars just to be able to play with my sister and the newcomer roster is turning out to be one of the lamest ones yet. In a couple of months, the stages are going to be the biggest reason to convert (along with the HD upgrade, and the notion that it will be a better game). But the stages are going to be the only thing that make the game feel fresh.
Lamest roster yet? Who would you rather have? I mean, we've gotten some less than desirable characters like Rsosalina nad Greninja, but they're no better than Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. I mean, at the time of their reveal, people weren't happy, but they played them and now everyone's (Well, not EVERYONE) is OK with now.

I still say this: Your average Smash Player won't get SSB4 for the stages, but the characters. Be a hipster if you want, it's up to you.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So have any of you guys played Kirby Fighters in Kirby Triple Deluxe? It's a good preview for how Smash 3DS might handle (they even added dodging and air dodging mechanics in Kirby Triple Deluxe, and they feel awfully similar to Smash).

That being said, I think Smash 3DS will work just fine now, even on a regular 3DS, even if it doesn't support Circle Pad Pro.

I mean, we've gotten some less than desirable characters like Rsosalina
excuse u but that is not how you spell our gracious space queen's name and shes a legit addition

eat ur heart out toad

Morbi

Scavenger
Lamest roster yet? Who would you rather have? I mean, we've gotten some less than desirable characters like Rsosalina nad Greninja, but they're no better than Mr. Game and Watch and R.O.B. I mean, at the time of their reveal, people weren't happy, but they played them and now everyone's (Well, not EVERYONE) is OK with now.

I still say this: Your average Smash Player won't get SSB4 for the stages, but the characters. Be a hipster if you want, it's up to you.
Your average Smash player will consider the different stages, you can't just blatantly disregard that, the notion is entirely fallacious. If the rosters are the same, the stages are the next significant selling point. You don't have to be a hipster to realize that, you need common sense. After that, the exclusive game-mode is to be considered.

I would rather have the most iconic Legend of Zelda character not already on the roster, arguably (not even arguably, objectively) more iconic and prevalent than Ganondorf, much more prominent than Sheik: Ganon.

Rosalina and Greninja are some of the better roster selections in my opinion. I have no issue with them. I have an issue with how bland some of these characters appear to be. Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer are the only ones that offer a new play-style if I am not mistaken.

"I am Groot!"

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Your average Smash player will consider the different stages, you can't just blatantly disregard that, the notion is entirely fallacious. If the rosters are the same, the stages are the next significant selling point. You don't have to be a hipster to realize that, you need common sense. After that, the exclusive game-mode is to be considered.

I would rather have the most iconic Legend of Zelda character not already on the roster, arguably (not even arguably, objectively) more iconic and prevalent than Ganondorf, much more prominent than Sheik: Ganon.

Rosalina and Greninja are some of the better roster selections in my opinion. I have no issue with them. I have an issue with how bland some of these characters appear to be. Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer are the only ones that offer a new play-style if I am not mistaken.

"I am Groot!"
While an average smash player will consider everything, stages included, when it comes down to deciding which version to pick, the average smash fan will consider prices first. A teenaged boy or young adult in the American economy will pick the 3DS version over the Wii U for it's mere price, considering that the 3DS is cheaper. At the moment, a good decision is to buy the 3DS version, as it has nothing that the Wii U version doesn't have. However, in the coming months, we will see more features arising for the Wii U, compelling the previously mentioned smash fan to buy both, or even consider buying a Wii U. Smash Wii U will probably have a Wii U bundle, even settling the matter.

Going back to stages, as we've never had to choose between two versions before, the mentality of a Smash fan would be driven towards modes and price, as the psyche of one fan is going to think of a stage as a 'playing field'.

I've gauged the public in my area on this, modes and price sell it for them. Obviously some will value other things, as you have stated. You will go for stages, while 60-65% will go for everything else.

So, the stages will sell, but only after coming after modes and price. I do admit in my previous post I haven't been clear, and I apologize for that.

I swear, that's my Achilles heel. Clarity. :laugh:

Morbi

Scavenger
It doesn't appeal to me personally, it isn't what I expect out of Smash, it isn't what I expect out of a party game. Overall, the entire concept is just too gimmicky for me to enjoy it. It appears to be a mini-game passed off as a game-mode, something that I don't necessarily advocate. I am glad it is there for those that want something different, but I already think it looks boring.

Top Bottom