• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone else think Smash bros on 3ds won't be very good?

Morbi

Scavenger
Are you planning to buy the game full price?
I plan on buying the 3DS version at retail price twice.

While an average smash player will consider everything, stages included, when it comes down to deciding which version to pick, the average smash fan will consider prices first. A teenaged boy or young adult in the American economy will pick the 3DS version over the Wii U for it's mere price, considering that the 3DS is cheaper. At the moment, a good decision is to buy the 3DS version, as it has nothing that the Wii U version doesn't have. However, in the coming months, we will see more features arising for the Wii U, compelling the previously mentioned smash fan to buy both, or even consider buying a Wii U. Smash Wii U will probably have a Wii U bundle, even settling the matter.

Going back to stages, as we've never had to choose between two versions before, the mentality of a Smash fan would be driven towards modes and price, as the psyche of one fan is going to think of a stage as a 'playing field'.

I've gauged the public in my area on this, modes and price sell it for them. Obviously some will value other things, as you have stated. You will go for stages, while 60-65% will go for everything else.

So, the stages will sell, but only after coming after modes and price. I do admit in my previous post I haven't been clear, and I apologize for that.

I swear, that's my Achilles heel. Clarity. :laugh:
I apologize for the misconception. I was alluding to AFTER they already own the 3DS version. I meant to assert that the stages are the most relevant aspect of determining whether you want to buy the game again (as the rosters are equivalent).

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I plan on buying the 3DS version at retail price twice.

I apologize for the misconception. I was alluding to AFTER they already own the 3DS version. I meant to assert that the stages are the most relevant aspect of determining whether you want to buy the game again (as the rosters are equivalent).
I understand now. :)

No harm, no foul!

b2j135

Da Bess Pit
NNID
b2j135
3DS FC
3222-5569-3062
of COURSE it will be good!
Have you played PAS on Vita? it plays like a dream.
Smash 3DS will be even better tho!

Randoman

Smash Cadet
The circle pad isn't as good as a regular control stick, and I don't think the buttons on 3ds are as good as Wii U. The Wii U version also looks better, but why do they have to release it so much later?!
Has Sakurai ever let us down when it came to the quality of a Smash game? I don't think he did. I think the 3DS version will be fine, I don't care what anybody says, I see myself actually playing it for hours. The reason for the Wii U's much later release date is probably just development related. The graphics are obviously going to be more superior than the 3DS version, and the game will probably be bigger, requiring more development time.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I'm also worried about the online capabilities too. Will it be laggy like Brawl was or will this game have a good connection? I love playing multiplayer and Smash is one of those games I tend to enjoy playing with actual people, but I don't want a laggy online experience =/ .

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I don't know why people are still in the mindset that mobile=bad, there are so many fantastic 3DS games that, with scaled up graphics, could be Wii-U ready, wait for the game to come out don't judge it based on the fact that it's mobile. Even screenshots are poor evidence of the games potential, as 3DS screenshots have a tendency to look worse than when you are actually playing the game.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
That's western audiences for you. Bigger is always better, they insist. But the inverse is true in Japan and I'm seriously wandering if Japan ignores console SSB entirely.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
It's funny because the game was originally supposed to be a 3DS exclusive IIRC, and was probably only put on the VirtualBoy 2.0 to try to save it from failing completely never mind it was announced before the Wii-U was doing horribly.

Last edited:

^^Fire^^

Smash Cadet
The vicinity of an area adjacent to a location
It doesn't appeal to me personally, it isn't what I expect out of Smash, it isn't what I expect out of a party game. Overall, the entire concept is just too gimmicky for me to enjoy it. It appears to be a mini-game passed off as a game-mode, something that I don't necessarily advocate. I am glad it is there for those that want something different, but I already think it looks boring.
It does seem gimmicky, but the fun part will be killing all the enemies from Kid Icarus

Morbi

Scavenger
That's western audiences for you. Bigger is always better, they insist. But the inverse is true in Japan and I'm seriously wandering if Japan ignores console SSB entirely.
Hence why the Wii U version is happening. I don't necessarily feel as though the 3DS exclusive version of the game would appeal to western audiences in the same way, we love our HD.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
I actually think the only problem I will have with the 3DS version is the circle pad seems kind of 'weak'.
But then again, I think I thought the same before I played Monster Hunter and God Eater on PSP, so who knows.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I actually think the only problem I will have with the 3DS version is the circle pad seems kind of 'weak'.
But then again, I think I thought the same before I played Monster Hunter and God Eater on PSP, so who knows.
Monster Hunter and Kid Icarus removed my doubts on the 3DS Circle Pad :p

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
It doesn't appeal to me personally, it isn't what I expect out of Smash, it isn't what I expect out of a party game. Overall, the entire concept is just too gimmicky for me to enjoy it. It appears to be a mini-game passed off as a game-mode, something that I don't necessarily advocate. I am glad it is there for those that want something different, but I already think it looks boring.
at least try playing it once

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Actually, SSB's most basic conception is precisely a party game :p

I'm telling this because a casual player will only care about pressing start and going straight for the character selection without bother about set the rules and choosing the CPU characters, this player only wants to play a Smash Bros. match. This very party direction of the series was never removed in none of the three games.

Morbi

Scavenger
at least try playing it once
Okay, why not? Maybe I will like it after-all.

Actually, SSB's most basic conception is precisely a party game :p

I'm telling this because a casual player will only care about pressing start and going straight for the character selection without bother about set the rules and choosing the CPU characters, this player only wants to play a Smash Bros. match. This very party direction of the series was never removed in none of the three games.
Agreed. I suppose that has always been the case. Although; personally, I am going to just start the game and play against my sister without bothering with the rules. I am going to be to hype to wait. Haha.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Smash Run is kind of a fanservice for me, I love the City Trial mode in Kirby Air Ride and since I saw the 3DS version in action, I already was imagining a City Trial-like mode in the 3DS version, when Smash Run was revealed in the SSB Direct, I screamed like a little girl in excitement and happiness :D

I'm going to play this mode a crapload of times, especially if have online.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Okay, why not? Maybe I will like it after-all.

Agreed. I suppose that has always been the case. Although; personally, I am going to just start the game and play against my sister without bothering with the rules. I am going to be to hype to wait. Haha.
just dont play it to much in a row did that with air ride played whole day

_KArMa_

Smash Rookie
In my opinion the 3ds version will be a way of having many players test the game to find "gliches" Like wavedashing L cancel and so on so that they can remove it for the real game. Besides, smash run makes me think that the 3ds version will be great. Why else would they spend so much time developing an exclusive version for the 3ds if they didn't believe in it. I'll say 3ds wil be 50% as fun as wiiu. But 50% of a great game is enough for me
Back in my days "BS" caused players to rage....KAPPA

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
On the topic of skipping out on certain modes, I don't understand buying a brand new game and not intending to invest time into every aspect of the game. If the game is used and at a cheap price, I'd get it, but not if this is a day one buy. Smash Run seems like a pretty big part of the 3DS version, and it's likely going to be a vehicle for many unlockables in the game. So paying full price for the game and not playing Smash Run at all just seems counter-productive, in a way, especially if you can unlock stuff through it. It's like if I bought Uncharted 3 at full price, and only played the Single Player, or the Multiplayer. Neither are worth paying full price for on their own.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
In my opinion the 3ds version will be a way of having many players test the game to find "gliches" Like wavedashing L cancel and so on so that they can remove it for the real game. Besides, smash run makes me think that the 3ds version will be great. Why else would they spend so much time developing an exclusive version for the 3ds if they didn't believe in it. I'll say 3ds wil be 50% as fun as wiiu. But 50% of a great game is enough for me
The thing is, and this comes from a glitch hunter of TTYD, one thing that helped me alot to find glitches or know what I can't do was to run the game on emulator with a program that can hack the ram of the game while running. Since I doubt that 3DS emulators exist, you would have to glitch hunt on the game itself. And for doing this with TTYD, I can tell you that it's very annoying because you can't do as much as you should so I think it will be very hard to find glitches. It might happen but I doubt it (not to mention that this is smash, it has to be ready).

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
To me, as a fan of City Trial (I still play it every once in a while), Smash Run is the only thing the 3DS version has going for it other than the earlier release date. I don't care about the stages (and I think this is a silly reason to not allow cross-platform play), the graphics are significantly worse and the roster is exactly the same on both systems. Sure, the controls might "work" on the 3DS version, but I really can't see them being any better than a Wii U Pro Controller or a Classic Controller Pro. I've been seeing a fair few people saying that they are getting the 3DS version because Sm4sh isn't enough to convince them to buy a Wii U... But I already own one, so an extra $20 or whatever is definitely worth it.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The roster being the same on both has me worried. I feel like since the Wii U version is coming out significantly later they could add a couple more characters to the Wii U version as well.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
The thing is, and this comes from a glitch hunter of TTYD, one thing that helped me alot to find glitches or know what I can't do was to run the game on emulator with a program that can hack the ram of the game while running. Since I doubt that 3DS emulators exist, you would have to glitch hunt on the game itself. And for doing this with TTYD, I can tell you that it's very annoying because you can't do as much as you should so I think it will be very hard to find glitches. It might happen but I doubt it (not to mention that this is smash, it has to be ready).
not to mention, what he mentioned isn't even a glitch

Morbi

Scavenger
On the topic of skipping out on certain modes, I don't understand buying a brand new game and not intending to invest time into every aspect of the game. If the game is used and at a cheap price, I'd get it, but not if this is a day one buy. Smash Run seems like a pretty big part of the 3DS version, and it's likely going to be a vehicle for many unlockables in the game. So paying full price for the game and not playing Smash Run at all just seems counter-productive, in a way, especially if you can unlock stuff through it. It's like if I bought Uncharted 3 at full price, and only played the Single Player, or the Multiplayer. Neither are worth paying full price for on their own.
It might be counter-intuitive; however, I am not going to force myself to enjoy an aspect of the game that I don't want to play. If you are forced to play Smash Run to unlock stuff, I suppose I will just have to get over it and wait for the Wii U version for the unlocks.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Will the 3DS version not be good at all? Hardly. Sakurai and Namco-Bandai know what to do with the hardware their developing with, and it should be relatively simpler to do than the Wii U version.

It's also the only version of the game that I'm planning to get. There just isn't enough reason for me to get the one for Wii U.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
All I need is the game to function like it's console counterpart. So long as what I learn can be translated to both versions of the game, I don't care. That's good enough for me.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I might be in the minority on this but I don't plan on getting both so that's probably why I'm so sour about the 3DS version coming first.

_KArMa_

Smash Rookie
And in my view even if the 3DS version isn't all that great just use it to get a head start on the game and overall others....i.e .characters..."Rosaluma" :awesome:while IMO's are getting hype of mk8...no offense sakuarui the GOAT lol .

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I might be in the minority on this but I don't plan on getting both so that's probably why I'm so sour about the 3DS version coming first.
I understand your frustration. Under the assumption both were coming out within the same window, I was going to get the WiiU first and eventually a 3DS to train when I'm on the road.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I understand your frustration. Under the assumption both were coming out within the same window, I was going to get the WiiU first and eventually a 3DS to train when I'm on the road.
Yeah, if they were coming out at the same time, or if the Wii U version was coming first, I would be happy. I'm just worried that the Wii U version will get delayed like three times like Brawl did.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'm all in on #DS, I've said this a ton of places but still.

I expect the game to be a high quality product like every other smash has been, and I have a feeling the huge number of people who have the 3DS are going to make it into an awesome thing.

Even if the online isn't perfect, PSASBR managed to have its entire scene pretty much online only with online WORSE then Brawl, how can we not make it work!?!

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
The roster being the same on both has me worried. I feel like since the Wii U version is coming out significantly later they could add a couple more characters to the Wii U version as well.
The roster will be the same because there will have connectivity between the two versions, and I assure you, it's going to be something related to the character customization hinted twice in the SSB Direct.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
The roster will be the same because there will have connectivity between the two versions, and I assure you, it's going to be something related to the character customization hinted twice in the SSB Direct.
Well, the Wii U version is also going to cost more and come out later, they could throw us a bone for something.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Different rosters for each game is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it would allow to expand the roster by giving more freedom for adding characters. On the other hand, if a certain character I wanted in Smash is exclusive for a version of the game I don't have, this would piss me off.

But the actual reason of why the roster is the same in both versions is BALANCING!! Once more, Sakurai is manually programming and adjusting by himself all characters' hitboxes, knockback directions and attack damages. He just want to have this work once! Because certainly the physics and speed is going to be the exact same in both versions, Sakurai wants us to use the 3DS version as a trainning tool and showing off our abilities in the Wii U version.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Different rosters for each game is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it would allow to expand the roster by giving more freedom for adding characters. On the other hand, if a certain character I wanted in Smash is exclusive for a version of the game I don't have, this would piss me off.

But the actual reason of why the roster is the same in both versions is BALANCING!! Once more, Sakurai is manually programming and adjusting by himself all characters' hitboxes, knockback directions and attack damages. He just want to have this work once! Because certainly the physics and speed is going to be the exact same in both versions, Sakurai wants us to use the 3DS version as a trainning tool and showing off our abilities in the Wii U version.
Well, I think the same could be said about stages since there are going to be different ones in each. I think both could have exclusives.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Since they decided to focus stages from handheld games on 3DS and stages from console games on Wii U, this is comprehensible. Stages are no way like characters, when us, fans, see a new Smash Bros. game being announced, we only care about the characters, not the stages.

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
Different stages makes a lot of sense when you consider the technical aspect of it. The 3DS' smaller screen and resolution means that stages have to be smaller (it seems like they're using more scrolling stages to make them seem bigger even if it didn't zoom out much). They also can't have as much complexity.

The only character I could see having issues on the 3DS is Ice Climbers, although Rosalina and Luma prove it is possible. There's no reason for them to lock characters to certain versions, unlike stages.

Top Bottom