• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone actually....

belkotar

Smash Rookie
listen to what youtube and the internet claims about strategies with characters
or do you do as you please with your main and make your strategies work?

GO!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I'm willing to bet a lot of people here depend a ton on information posted. Imagine trying to play a character with no outside influences and just your intuition and experience to work from. Even if you are an amazing player, you'd have a very hard time trying to learn what works and what doesn't for the basically infinite situations presentable in Brawl. You'd be basically trying to take 1 year+ of metagame development by a community and try to learn that all yourself.

By now you can probably guess that I read boards and follow links to good videos.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
95% of youtube videos not posted through or somehow connected to people known on smashboards or AiB is trash and should not be considered in competitive play.

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
....I'm not sure if I've listened or not. cause I've mainly just thrown a lot of my own strategies and a chunk load of ad libbing rather than sticking to one strategy all the time...

But like I said without the rant, I don't really follow any set strategy except, "plan, but don't plan too heavily" (meaning, do a minor plan, but don't stick to it, cause my might get mind read and pwned), "If you're really good, you don't need projectiles" (that's my usual training statement when fighting whoever), "Be a good sport and don't ledge steal" cause I'm honorable and don't like to cheap shot people even if it is a legitimate and overused technique. Of course I wall of pain with meta and jiggly, but I don't ledge steal unless we were both in the same spot and I got the ledge first and he happened to miss it just as I grabbed it... my other self found strategy is to apply down smashes liberally. That always helps me out. I also try not to abuse the same thing over and over if they seem to be getting wind of what I'm doing and think that's all I'm gonna be doing. Cause to tell you the truth most vids and strategy guides for characters I've never looked at. I just go straight past it and do my own thing with them. It feels more fun and authentic to my style that way...

n88

Smash Lord
My playstlye="What happens if I do this?"
I prefer finding things out for myself rather than going on the internet and listening to people say "Use this move! Use that move!"

If I played competitively, I might be more prone to looking things up, but when I'm sitting on the couch playing against my little brother? Not so much.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
To be honest, not a lot. I'll look at any significant pointers or tips in a match up, but it usually ends up going into a huge discussion on the character's frame data or some other BS that won't help me.

Knowing that my jab comes out a frame faster than his jab isn't going to help me win.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
When I want to get better at a character, I look up info on the boards. That gives me a huge springboard from where to start, and from there I learn from experience while trying to implement AT's.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
I rely on smashboards/AiB & youtube vids: 65%
Myself: 35%

You can only be good to a certain point if you only rely on your on intellect and skill, it just won't work.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
To be honest, not a lot. I'll look at any significant pointers or tips in a match up, but it usually ends up going into a huge discussion on the character's frame data or some other BS that won't help me.

Knowing that my jab comes out a frame faster than his jab isn't going to help me win.
It means that if you clash at close range, your buffered jab will always beat him if he tries anything other than shield. It's really helpful when this is the case, actually. <<

Pink murder

Smash Ace
In Miami... sweating my *** off &gt;.&gt;
☠
When I was first starting up, I didn't even know about Smashboards. I looked at Youtube "combo" videos for strategies and tips. I got fairly good with that, but I really started improving when I found out about SWF. These MU's are crazy beneficial. Once I learned all the AT's, tricks, tips, and had complete control of my fingers I started learning how to read my opponent. Before I had a complete move-set planned out for each match, now I rely on myself for about 60% of the match. This 60% is used by trying to figure out my opponents best choices in a certain situation along with figuring out some of their habits or tendencies, and acting accordingly. 40% is used recollecting everything I've learned about the MU -don't approach a certain way, don't use a certain move- and on using some of the strings/"combos" that have been embedded into my playstyle. Of course there are some things that I do almost instinctively and without inputting much thought -such as Dthrow -> Utilt.

This post started off as one sentence; funny what some people do to make themselves feel important.
:roll:
☠

●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

The_Final_Smasher

Smash Rookie
I, after I get a feel with a character I'm interested in playing as, always come here to learn certain strengths, weaknesses and techniques to help improve my game. Then if I seem to have some probs, I go on the Tube to watch the pros at work and learn exactly how to do things such as combos. Then when I start to improve greatly over time, I start to implement my own things, devoloping my own playstyle.
But sadly, all I've got to practice on are lvl 9 CPUs and Basic/Team Brawl, so I don't exactly know many good mindgames -_-

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I get lost in most of the terms people use no matter how simple they may be. Overall I just go to Youtube and see what kinds of moves are possible. If something looks cool I'll try it myself.

Overall though it's my experiences that carry me threw a match. These experiences tap into instincts for given situations. Sometimes I pull of a great instinct and often times I'll pull off a horrible one. A very little amount of reading works for me because it takes me time to think about a plan as oppose to a given instinct. I do think about the instinct but that thought if very slight and fast. Not only that but the plan takes practice.

Top Bottom