• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc's Tips: A Little Mac Q&A Thread

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I need some advice. when ever I get knocked off the ledge i up b and i go a little too high and get punished by a side smash what can I do to prevent this from happening
recover lower so that you snap to the ledge at the end. Ledge snap is very forgiving and can save you from potential edgeguards. Do it right and 95% of grounded edgeguard attempts won't touch you unless they hit you in the two frame window during your snap.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
hmm, not sure if i should hand out easy ways to avoid little mac stuff, but there are a number of things you can do:

1. every time mac dtilts/utilts/jab/down throw, otherwise pop you into the air, jump. this prevents further follow ups on you. mac can only up b if he reads it (which is only dangerous if you are at kill percent), and double jump into an aerial. are you gonna care when you get hit with an aerial that does 5% that he might wiff which you can then punish?
2. abuse your shield, as little mac only has his dtilt/utlit/jab that is safe on shield, and it must be spaced for him. and if he grabs you...ok but he's only gonna do like 10%.
3. just play defensive. if you play a character like falcon, just wait until he throws out a smash attack, ftilt, or other unsafe move, then dash attack or grab and follow up on mac. the only moves that mac can throw out in neutral safely at all times are dtilt and jab.

while little mac has one of the best neutrals in the game, mac can't afford to make mistakes, or he will get punished. not to mention, if you take a percent lead, you don't have to approach mac at all, and can just wait for him to approach you. even camping is a viable strategy here (yes, its not likable, but if lets you win, ok.)

all this advice is coming from a little mac who has more or less mastered the character, knows macs frame data, follow-ups and strings, and has had numerous top 8's and some 4th places at my locals and 80+ monthlies. take it from me, you follow those steps, you will have an easier time.

That said, bowser junior struggles, because he has NO MOVES that are safe to throw against little mac, its kinda a bad matchup for him.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
I need some advice. when ever I get knocked off the ledge i up b and i go a little too high and get punished by a side smash what can I do to prevent this from happening
Little Mac's Up B is frustrating in the regards that it will never snap to the ledge. I'm certain you probably know what this is, but in case you don't, snapping to the ledge is when you immediately grab the ledge after an Up B and do not continue the attack. Mac's won't do this, and its dangerous to use his Up B in general due to its irritatingly low range. The best thing to do is to recover slightly lower than normal to the point where, at the end of the attack, the final hitbox whacks opponents charging smash attacks right at the ledge and you snap straight to it. That, or just use Side B as recovery instead.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
i want to start a community project thread that details the optimal DI/escapes for the most common combos performed against little mac. i will need a list of combos that people have difficulty escaping (e.g. ness fair strings, sheik fair strings, mario uptilt, zss uair strings>upB, falcon uair strings, etc.), and then share if you already have the answer, as it would really help to get a headstart on this. let me know if this is something you guys find interesting and are willing to help out with.

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
You just have to practice it, it is inportant to position yourself when off stage. Sometimes you have to intentionally fall futher down in order to sweetspot the ledge. Just go to final destination, and run of stage and recover intil you have a feel for it. Of course this is harder when there is an actual opponent trying to gimp you. On stages that have a lip, it is always safer to go under it and recover there if you can. (Battlefield/Most FDs)

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
earla earla idk if any macs actually have the tools to calculate frame advantage like that. i agree though, it would be very useful.

EDIT: ghetto-testing using foxy's frame advance method results re smashes (first frame shield after shield drop):

fsmash -7/8
ua-fsmash -7/8
da-fsmash -6
dsmash hit 1 -16
dsmash hit 2 -9/10
usmash -16/17

assume +/-1 for error variance.

Last edited:

earla

Smash Lord
thanks bud

you got jab 1, 2 3, dtilt, utilt?

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
thanks bud

you got jab 1, 2 3, dtilt, utilt?
not yet. tbh it's pretty tedious to use foxy's frame advance method by yourself. plus they're only approximations as i'm not sure whether the hit is occurring on the 1 or 2 frame, and whether shield is put up again on the 1 or 2 frame. i think there's a way to do it mathematically, but i can't find the thread that was talking about it.

EDIT: earla earla for your viewing pleasure, the shield disadvantage chart:

Move = Frames of Shieldstun / Frames of Endlag / Frames of Disadvantage before Shield Drop which would be +7 (bracketed numbers are the 'best' possible result if only the last active hitbox connects.)

Jab1 = 3 / 20 / -17
Jab2 = 3 / 19-20 / -17 (-16)
Jab3 = 6 / 27 / -21
Dash Attack = 7 / 24-26 / -19 (-17)
FTilt = 6 / 25 / -19 (-18)
UTilt = 7 / 19-24 / -17 (-12)
DTilt = 6 / 17-18 / -12 (-11)
FSmash = 13 / 28-29 / -16 (-15)
UA-FSmash = 13 / 28-29 / -16 (-15)
DA-FSmash = 14 / 28 / -14
DSmash1 = 8 / 31-32 / -24 (-23)
DSmash2 = 8 / 24-25 / -17 (-16)
USmash = 10 / 32-37 / -27 (-22)

Last edited:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
in shorter words, little mac hits a shield, then dies. in fact, the only moves that are safe on shield if you space it are Dtilt, backside of Utilt, and the tipper of Ftilt and sometimes jab.

Also, DA-Fsmash does extra shield damage and shieldstun, it is not only 14 frames i believe.

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
in shorter words, little mac hits a shield, then dies. in fact, the only moves that are safe on shield if you space it are Dtilt, backside of Utilt, and the tipper of Ftilt and sometimes jab.

Also, DA-Fsmash does extra shield damage and shieldstun, it is not only 14 frames i believe.
yeah, basically if you hit a shield and they were expecting it (ie. they're buffering something), you get punished. but, before i made this chart, i was wondering why properly spaced uptilt on shield feels so safe. now i know that if they choose a shield-drop option, at best they only have 4-7 frames to punish, which is only possible if they buffer an option that is quicker than 4 frames and they have perfect execution (near-impossible on wifi). which is why they will often choose to roll away if they don't choose to grab.

DA-FSmash does extra shield damage, not extra shieldstun. it is 14 frames for any OoS option. for a shield-drop option, it would be 7 frames. the reason DA-FSmash is safe when spaced is because the significant shield pushback makes it so that it cannot be punished by an OoS option like grab and a buffered shield-drop option still needs to close the gap before the 7 frames are up, and the quickest startup frames for dash attacks are 4 frames (fox and wario) while the next quickest are 6 frames, meaning mac should be able to perfect shield even if they buffer it. of course if the DA-FSmash isn't spaced well, or the character has a tether grab or other ranged OoS option, you can still get punished hard. but that assumes the opponent has lightning reflexes as well because most tether grabs are 14 frames or more. only link's tether grab is 12 frames, so they have a 2-3 frame window but usually they will buffer a grab so you will probably lose there.

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
what are some of little macs shield pressure options
To name a few:
Down tilted f-smash (Breaks shields and is by far the most safe on shield)
F-smash (spaced)
Down tilt
Up tilt (spaced)
Forward tilt (spaced)
D-smash (Second hit)
Grab (obviously)
Jolt haymaker (If the character is slow, and unable to punish)

"Not all of these are 100% safe on shield, but form my experience most are hard to punish"

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
To name a few:
Down tilted f-smash (Breaks shields and is by far the most safe on shield)
F-smash (spaced)
Down tilt
Up tilt (spaced)
Forward tilt (spaced)
D-smash (Second hit)
Grab (obviously)
Jolt haymaker (If the character is slow, and unable to punish)

"Not all of these are 100% safe on shield, but form my experience most are hard to punish"
buffer a jab or spotdodge after any of those options to increase safety.

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
so it's a given that FD and its variants are mac's ideal stages, but does anyone have any advice for playing on stages like battlefield? it doesn't seem like he has many options for reliably getting to opponents on platforms
Granted that battlefield is smaler i terms of width, it does not give the same rom for spacing. This means that you are most likely going to be close to your opponent most of the time, not that mac minds this to much. When it comes to pressuring on platforms, mac`s up-smash covers the lower platforms while you can poke with up-air on the top platform. You can also use macs aerials seeing how they all auto cancel on short hop, with the exseption of up-air. He also has a few jab lock setups using the platforms, down-throw, and up tilt these being really hard to tech due to the low arc of the moves. The platforms can also help you land. Most oppnents asume you are going to land on the first surface you hit, you can be smart about this and just pass through the platforms. The stage being smaler makes it easier to reteat to the ledge when in the air as well. All of this can be applied for dreamland as well.

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I find myself killing with little mac by running off of the ledge and using his side b to get a stage spike, is this a good method to kill, or is it extremely stupid to kill someone in this fashion?

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
I find myself killing with little mac by running off of the ledge and using his side b to get a stage spike, is this a good method to kill, or is it extremely stupid to kill someone in this fashion?
Its not exactly a conventional way, but defenetly a great mixupp. Even if you don`t hit them there is a good chance you will ledge trump them. Then you can just go on stage and down smash. But it can be very unsafe so be careful when and how you use it.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
This works around mid-low skill level players because many higher skill players will react faster than you can Side B. For example, since Jolt Haymaker is Frame 9 at its earliest, Sheik can hit Mac before he can activate it AT ITS EARLIEST with BAir, being a Frame 4 attack. Scary stuff, but it works if they double grab the ledge.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
This works around mid-low skill level players because many higher skill players will react faster than you can Side B. For example, since Jolt Haymaker is Frame 9 at its earliest, Sheik can hit Mac before he can activate it AT ITS EARLIEST with BAir, being a Frame 4 attack. Scary stuff, but it works if they double grab the ledge.
while you're technically correct, it's not the 9 frame startup of mac's sideB that makes sheik's bair dangerous to the sideB-to-ledge. no one can actually react that fast IRL (average reaction time is something like 12 frames; a few frames less if you're pro). it's the fact that mac running off the stage is incredibly telegraphed. there will be something like 20-40 frames (of running off the stage and turning around to sideB) before the hitbox comes out, which is a lot of time to react. mac rarely goes airborne/offstage, so if it's not a surprise to your opponent, you just put yourself in a terrible, terrible position.

Last edited:

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I am learning Little Mac, and I have a few questions.

1. How can I deal with shields in neutral? I know from reading above Mac doesn't have many safe options on shield, but what are some nice blockstrings that can be hard to respond to OoS? I have seen spaced d-tilt to PP u-tilt but that's pretty much it.

2. How reliable is d-tilt n-air and can what percents can it confirm from?

3. Here are some vines I would like to share:
https://vine.co/v/iaipWrBiVMY
https://vine.co/v/iaeaKIO0IxZ
https://vine.co/v/iaiwUimZLHg
https://vine.co/v/iaeWYImWlmb
https://vine.co/v/iaeuHAAXaEb
https://vine.co/v/ia1JZ0lbL7q

Last edited:

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
while you're technically correct, it's not the 9 frame startup of mac's sideB that makes sheik's bair dangerous to the sideB-to-ledge. no one can actually react that fast IRL (average reaction time is something like 12 frames; a few frames less if you're pro). it's the fact that mac running off the stage is incredibly telegraphed. there will be something like 20-40 frames (of running off the stage and turning around to sideB) before the hitbox comes out, which is a lot of time to react. mac rarely goes airborne/offstage, so if it's not a surprise to your opponent, you just put yourself in a terrible, terrible position.
Again why I said it only works against low-mid skill level players, as in they have a much less fast reaction to seeing it. Not that they don't have that fast of a reaction time, its that usually they won't expect it and will probably just do what they've always done due to them having only an average amount of skill.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Hello, I am learning Little Mac, and I have a few questions.

1. How can I deal with shields in neutral? I know from reading above Mac doesn't have many safe options on shield, but what are some nice blockstrings that can be hard to respond to OoS? I have seen spaced d-tilt to PP u-tilt but that's pretty much it.

2. How reliable is d-tilt n-air and can what percents can it confirm from?

3. Here are some vines I would like to share:
https://vine.co/v/iaipWrBiVMY
https://vine.co/v/iaeaKIO0IxZ
https://vine.co/v/iaiwUimZLHg
https://vine.co/v/iaeWYImWlmb
https://vine.co/v/iaeuHAAXaEb
https://vine.co/v/ia1JZ0lbL7q
1.spaced dtilt and jabs are also nice, jab jab to grab or dtilt to grab is a nice mixup, and jab-dtilt-Down angled fsmash breaks shields. also, spaced dtilt, DFsmash, backside of utilt are safe on shield.
2. ill be honest here, it does true combo, but the only reason for that is to go for the nair-footstool and the nair-foostool is very unreliable, the nair hitbox is small and wonky and the nair-footstool isn't even guaranteed, as fast acting aerials and jumping get you out of it. Nair is actually NEGATIVE on hit, meaning your opponent gains advantage when you hit them, not you, which means nair has almost no useful applications, besides breaking juggles and strings. don't use nair in neutral.
3. Love the vines here, but most of it is reliant on Nair (which does not combo and puts you at a disadvantage), and missed techs or a footstool (which is really hard to get and also unreliable). all the vines are strings that really can only be followed up after you pop them up with dtilt or utilt, and none of them true combo, and put you in the air, where you don't want to be. as for the k.o. punch trick, i have to ask, whats the point of going through all the trouble of getting behind them and k.o. punching? how is that a better option than just a regular jump canceled k.o. punch? you can say its a mixup, but a mixup for what? to get them to drop shield, when k.o. punch ignores shield? like the uair usage, it combos into a lot of stuff, but the hitbox sucks and won't hit anyone with a smaller hurtbox, it works now because robs hurtbox is absurdly large. not only that, but uair is really unsafe to throw out in neutral, and nothing leads into it, when dtilt combos the same stuff that uair does anyway, as well as dtilt being so much safer to use in neutral.

not trying to be mean or anything, but im trying to save you of learning all this the hard way, as i have. i just went to genesis, and trust me, none of this stuff worked on competent players. still, i love the effort but into this and i love new mac players who enter the fold.

I speak Spanish too

Smash Journeyman
I'm just trying to be optimistic and be open to ways of expanding Mac's punish game. I tried doing some of this stuff and it truly is really impractical. It just kind of sucks that Mac's normals don't balance out his weaknesses which is something I endeavored to alleviate. The only semi-practical stuff I can see for n-air is d-tilt n-air footstool at like 25%
I honestly think Mac's deserves some buffs, not that his position now will stop me from playing him, but it only makes sense that a boxer's hit should have advantage and certainly not disadvantage if blocked. I also think the knockback off his d-throw should be reduced as a slam should really force techs and not send them above your head. Fixing his diagonal facing blind spot will be good too. Just my thoughts at least. I feel like Mac, even fully optimized will struggle having longevity in the meta which is kinda disappointing. What do you think about Mac jet56 jet56

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
I'm just trying to be optimistic and be open to ways of expanding Mac's punish game. I tried doing some of this stuff and it truly is really impractical. It just kind of sucks that Mac's normals don't balance out his weaknesses which is something I endeavored to alleviate. The only semi-practical stuff I can see for n-air is d-tilt n-air footstool at like 25%
I honestly think Mac's deserves some buffs, not that his position now will stop me from playing him, but it only makes sense that a boxer's hit should have advantage and certainly not disadvantage if blocked. I also think the knockback off his d-throw should be reduced as a slam should really force techs and not send them above your head. Fixing his diagonal facing blind spot will be good too. Just my thoughts at least. I feel like Mac, even fully optimized will struggle having longevity in the meta which is kinda disappointing. What do you think about Mac jet56 jet56
Gonna try to be funny and not rude here, but when do you see boxers just jumping upwards, doing a twirling punch in the air, and expect that to knock away an opponent? Not really. Sakurai made Little Mac pretty accurate to his actual origins, and having negative aerials is pretty good.

Knockback reduced on DThrow really should be a thing, or make it like Sonic's where it causes a tech chase and have a fast FAF frame.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
TBH, i really don't try to look too much into the whole "boxer" comparison with mac in smash. he already does crazy stuff in this game, like Zoramine Fae said. maybe not buffs, but his nair, jab, ftilt, and side b were all nerfed by patch 1.0.4. his ftilt had absurd range at one point, his nair was positive on hit (meaning nair infinite and you can break out of combos much easier) his side b recovery had more range, and his gentlemen did 14% instead of 11, with multijab being stronger too. i may have missed a detail or two, but he was actually nerfed hard at one point. if they gave him even just half of that back, he would be much more viable (the side b and nair would help the most.)

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
I just thought of something... We should try to embrace option selects. Has it been discussed already? We should come up with some different useful options select :)

For example, I saw one with marth where you dtilt -> perfect pivot -> ftilt. If the dtilt hits you wont PP and if it doesnt hit you will PP and be in range for the tils.

Something similar might be useful for us but with down angled fsmash instead?

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
So does anyone have advice on how to approach people who try to run away and defend a small platform while your K.O. punch is active?

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
So does anyone have advice on how to approach people who try to run away and defend a small platform while your K.O. punch is active?
that's a huge problem for mac, and one that i have been trying to crack since i got plat camped the first time. in the video thread i've posted a lot about different tourney mac styles to deal with camping. i've gone through and compiled them below. i probably missed one or two, but the links below should give good insight as to what macs can do to fight the plat camp.

double post, less than 24 hours. [infracted]

there's a major national happening in mexico right now, and there's a little mac named 'choto' doing damage. here's a great example of why smashville is a terrible stage for mac, and chota shows the optimal way to play against the jankest way to play against mac on the stage:

amazing patience. good mixups. good way to make sure he was always close to the percent lead. lots of good things to take away from this terrible, terrible match.

here's chota later in top 8 taking on a sheik. his hit confirm game is on-point. great fundamentals, has a lot of potential once he learns to also use dance trotting, perfect pivots, and jab>KO/upB kill confirms:

superdavio mac vs gren/lucario in WF

davio still putting in work for mac. smart play. not much here that's too flashy or anything, but it's a good case study in how to play against people who are campy on BF. watch how davio deals with people camping the top platform while the opponent has a slight percent lead. patient, smart. i like how he doesn't rest on the upB confirm, but follows up with the double jump uair on landing. also watch his timing on avoiding/preventing a drop-through aerial.
WB5: Yamanyon (ZSS) vs Sa (Mac)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7DfLz4mZC4

good data on that yamanyon match -- should analyze sa's method of dealing with the plat camp. sa was figuring it out, so yamanyon started to switch between plat camp and offense. so, yeah, although sa didn't win, i think that yamanyon was forced to switch off his plat camping which was a micro-win in itself. a couple options he was using: double jump fair sharking, double jump fair hard reads, 'autocanceled' sideBs (sideB from shorthop distance from lower plat has lower landing lag). good stuff.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
that's a huge problem for mac, and one that i have been trying to crack since i got plat camped the first time. in the video thread i've posted a lot about different tourney mac styles to deal with camping. i've gone through and compiled them below. i probably missed one or two, but the links below should give good insight as to what macs can do to fight the plat camp.
Hmm. Davio seems pretty good. I wonder if he's playing Mac as of the most recent patch.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Ignorant Bowser player here. I've seen several videos of Little Mac's KO Punch hitbox activating almost two seconds after the animation is already done. I scrolled through here trying to find an answer and checked through your other threads as well, but I didn't see anything. I've attached the most recent vine of this that is going around.

What's the cause of this? Is there a way to intentionally trigger it? Thanks for the help!

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Ignorant Bowser player here. I've seen several videos of Little Mac's KO Punch hitbox activating almost two seconds after the animation is already done. I scrolled through here trying to find an answer and checked through your other threads as well, but I didn't see anything. I've attached the most recent vine of this that is going around.

What's the cause of this? Is there a way to intentionally trigger it? Thanks for the help!
I have never-

what even-

WHAT. JUST WHAT.

If someone can make that an actual thing, just imagine the applications at catching rolls and ledge roll getups!

Of course, it's just a bug so it'll probably be fixed if we figure out what the **** just happened, but STILL!

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
I have never-

what even-

WHAT. JUST WHAT.

If someone can make that an actual thing, just imagine the applications at catching rolls and ledge roll getups!

Of course, it's just a bug so it'll probably be fixed if we figure out what the **** just happened, but STILL!
Well this was the last patch, so i guess it will stay. i Have tired for a few days to replicate it, but i have had no luck. It has happened to me before, but i am not sure what causes it.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman

that...thing.. was discussed when the game first came out on 3ds. the hitbox of ko punch used to stay out even if the punch itself was complete. my guess is that it hasn't been patched out of the aerial ko punch (meaning, this won't kill unless you're above 135%ish)

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1

thats from april 2015, im pretty sure that has been patched out already

boneflesh

Smash Cadet
how do nair gimps work? what percents or characters do they work on? are they guaranteed? are they just for style?

town of city or battlefield for mac's best stage?

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
how do nair gimps work? what percents or characters do they work on? are they guaranteed? are they just for style?

town of city or battlefield for mac's best stage?
1) spam nair to keep hitting them
2) any percents on any character
3) no. not guaranteed at all.
4) yes. but a gimp is a gimp. nair is quick and requires little commitment- i would only suggest using it on chars with poor recoveries.

5) omega Boxing Ring

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Can someone explain this? This is INSANE.
KO punch is looking more like a gambit with all these weird glitchs and stuff.

Top Bottom