• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc's Tips: A Little Mac Q&A Thread

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Have a question regarding Little Mac in Smash Bros? This thread is here to help! If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask! Someone who can answer your question may be able to help! Remember to keep it related to Little Mac though!

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q.When does Little Mac get his K.O. Punch?
A.Little Mac will gain his K.O. punch when his meter is filled. Taking 100% Damage, or dealing 334% damage to an enemy, is enough to fill the meter completely. For more information, see This Thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/ko-m...-building-and-losing-it.370201/#post-17736344

Q.How does Little Mac lose his K.O. Punch?
A.Little Mac's K.O. Punch cannot be lost for 6 seconds. After 6 seconds, any attack that deals knockback will cause him to lose his K.O. Punch.

Q.Little Mac's Instant K.O. Punch doesn't always kill target.
A.His K.O. punch is not truly an Instant Kill. It will kill each character if they are above a certain %, and this varies for each character. Here is a full list of each character's KO percentages: http://berathen.com/learntosmash/little-mac-ko-percents.php

Q.Is Little Mac's K.O. Punch Blockable/Counterable?
A. Little Mac's K.O Punch cannot be Blocked or Countered. However, it appears that you can grab him through it if done at the correct moment, and doing so will cause you both to slide across the stage. More info needed.

Q.What moves does Little Mac get Super Armor for?
A.His Down, Forward, and Up Smash all give him super armor, as well as his Neutral B.

Q.Do any of Little Mac's Moves have a Sweetspot?
A.Yes. F-smash has a sweetspot on the Lower half of the attack, dealing 20% as opposed to 15% on the sourspot.

Q.When rolling, what frame does the invincibility end on with Little Mac?
A.Invincibility ends on frame 17 for both of his rolls. He cannot act until frame 28.

Last edited:

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Does Little mac's entrance change if you choose the hoodie alt?

Skeeli

Smash Rookie
Do you think Little Mac has enough depth to remain strong even after everyone has had time to play the game and learn his strategy?

Do you want to play Little Mac as a rushdown character or more of a character looking for reads and playing more reactively?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Do you think Little Mac has enough depth to remain strong even after everyone has had time to play the game and learn his strategy?

Do you want to play Little Mac as a rushdown character or more of a character looking for reads and playing more reactively?
Personally, I think it'll take some time. This game's cast is huge, and Mac's really solid on the ground from what I've seen. Sure, some characters like Robin are hard counters, but Mac's not the only character with hard counters. In general, I think this is hard to say at the present time because of lack of across-cast data.

I definitely think Little Mac will have enough depth to remain strong, I just think he'll be a bit niche. Still strong, just niche. Just my opinion.

It would just so happen that the ONE video I see of Hoodie Mac vs Robin has the entrance set only on Robin. :/

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Yes. He "walks" in kind of stooped down and throws a punch. So no he doesn't rip his second hoodie off.

Last edited:

feeojo

Smash Rookie
Hi every1, I just signed up! I never played as Mac but Im spending lots of time on the forums these days and wanted to sum up all the tips I've gathered so we may found out which ones are really true or add more to it. Just want to be well prepared!

GOOD MOVES:

-dash + Usmash (quick to punish)
-dash + grab (mind game)
-dash + shield + Fsmash (if opponent is attacking)
-up-tilted Fsmash (combo into up special)
-down tilted Fsmash + Ftilt (deals more damage + safe on block at max range)
-FTilt (rack up damage + safe on block if max range)
-Jab (rack up damage)

COMBOS:
-(from 0%): grab - pummel twice - down throw (sends up) - dash Usmash or up special
-(low %): down tilt (stun) - forward tilt - up tilt or Usmash
-(20% +):down tilt + KO

STRATEGIES:

-opens up with jabs, tilts (armor or push back shield), and throws (Dont approach using smashes)
-use USmash vs short hops + anti air
-short hop KO uppercut (edge guard) / down tilt + KO uppercut
-Counter / dodge when in air/thrown off
-Roll dodging + dashing is a must
-Use super armor when edge guarding
-Side special (best aerial move) can be ended early by repressing
-activate neutral special before full charge
-use Fsmash during opponent attack (risk reward)

Any input is appreciated, thanks! Hope this will help any1 too!

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Does anyone know if Mac has sweet spots on any of his moves? It just feels like I kill earlier sometimes when I space things like ftilt and fsmash at the tip. Could just be bad DI/CVectoring or the rage stuff, but I just wanted to check here just to be sure.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Question, is Slip Counter a good edgeguard move?

I mean, I know it's risky on some characters, but does it have enough knockback in the air to be considered a failr edgeguarding tool, without putting you in danger?

Amity

Sadboi
Switch FC
SW-0822-7258-0511
Don't Double Post Please
All of his moves have super armor? Lol

Hi every1, I just signed up! I never played as Mac but Im spending lots of time on the forums these days and wanted to sum up all the tips I've gathered so we may found out which ones are really true or add more to it. Just want to be well prepared!

GOOD MOVES:

-dash + Usmash (quick to punish)
-dash + grab (mind game)
-dash + shield + Fsmash (if opponent is attacking)
-up-tilted Fsmash (combo into up special)
-down tilted Fsmash + Ftilt (deals more damage + safe on block at max range)
-FTilt (rack up damage + safe on block if max range)
-Jab (rack up damage)

COMBOS:
-(from 0%): grab - pummel twice - down throw (sends up) - dash Usmash or up special
-(low %): down tilt (stun) - forward tilt - up tilt or Usmash
-(20% +):down tilt + KO

STRATEGIES:

-opens up with jabs, tilts (armor or push back shield), and throws (Dont approach using smashes)
-use USmash vs short hops + anti air
-short hop KO uppercut (edge guard) / down tilt + KO uppercut
-Counter / dodge when in air/thrown off
-Roll dodging + dashing is a must
-Use super armor when edge guarding
-Side special (best aerial move) can be ended early by repressing
-activate neutral special before full charge
-use Fsmash during opponent attack (risk reward)

Any input is appreciated, thanks! Hope this will help any1 too!
What do you think is best throw option is and follow up?

Last edited by a moderator:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Yes, because his strategy will eventually evolve. Currently the way most Little Macs are playing is horrible.

It's not a matter of want. It's a matter of what is best. Mac is not an aggro rushdown character like many people are thinking. Certainly he can be played that way, but that doesn't mean it is all that good.

Mac's meta will eventually develop in way similar to Melee/Project M Captain Falcon. He'll eventually turn into a more defensive type of character due to his insane speed and staying in that mid-range sweet spot.

Last edited:

ndayday

BRoomer
Does anyone know if Mac has sweet spots on any of his moves? It just feels like I kill earlier sometimes when I space things like ftilt and fsmash at the tip. Could just be bad DI/CVectoring or the rage stuff, but I just wanted to check here just to be sure.
I'm actually not sure either but trying different spacing things kind of left me with the answer "no." He has a fire effect on some moves, does that cause more damage you think?
All of his moves have super armor? Lol

What do you think is best throw option is and follow up?
Quite a few do for at least part of the animation. fsmash is pretty notable example as you can just fsmash through everything.
Also imo the best option is dthrow. I like to keep them a little closer and the attack slams them down and pops them up pretty close to you. I wait to see what they're going to do (usually shield) and punish.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Nah, but it was probably just the rage effect or something lol. Also I personally like to throw people offstage if i'm near the ledge, because I feel Mac is really strong at keeping people there/offstage. Anywhere else though and I go for dthrow and hope they DI wrong.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
How does one not get juggled offstage and how does one recover if this happens without getting knocked further back?

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
From my experience it's kind of a guessing/reading game where you have to choose between airdodging, countering, and using your side-b. Also I haven't experimented with it much, but footstooling might also be an option for people who are trying to wait out an option.

ndayday

BRoomer
If you know an attack is coming counter is your best bet imo. And they would have to be juggling pretty well to carry you off stage all the way (or you're at a decent percentage anyway). I pretty much consider dying at 110+ not that bad, I mean at that point a lot of horizontal attacks fling you off a fair distance and no matter what you can't do all the much. And unless you're getting bodied they're at the same percentage or you've already KO'd them.

Beyond that I think it's easy to underestimate the different ways to get back. Sometimes they're coming at you looking to hit you further and you fast fall out of their range and haymaker onto the ledge. Stuff like that. I agree that it's a big reading game with what to do.

as for what not to do, I find the vast majority of edgeguard attempts begin with a throw. Don't get grabbed! Don't do unsafe things like dash at them when they're on the ground just standing there (i'm guilty of this one) as 90% they shield and grab you. luckily ftilt is a lot safer a move since it has nice range and not too much endlag.

I have yet to try the charged B recovery, I had an opportunity today but realized too late :(

Last edited:

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
Also to add to the avoiding being edgeguarded situation, a lot of players will camp the ledge and hop for you to approach them so they can fish for grabs and throw you off. If you have the lead and they don't have a projectile that can make you approach then just don't approach. If you have to approach do it by walking and shielding their projectiles and once you get in ftilt range either pressure by doing ftilt, dtilt, or nothing and if you think they're going to roll just wait for that.

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
So what are my recommended suggestions on how to, well, play Mac well? As in just techs in stuff. Is rushing in with punches, waiting for open opportunities (opponent slips up) and just playing rushdown a good way? Mac looks like a blast of a character to play - but I don't want to pick him up as a character and fall flat on my face.

I AM more new to competitive Smash, anyway. This might be my first ever competitive smash..

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
So what are my recommended suggestions on how to, well, play Mac well? As in just techs in stuff. Is rushing in with punches, waiting for open opportunities (opponent slips up) and just playing rushdown a good way? Mac looks like a blast of a character to play - but I don't want to pick him up as a character and fall flat on my face.

I AM more new to competitive Smash, anyway. This might be my first ever competitive smash..
Make sure to stay center stage. Don't go to the sides of the stages unless gimping (if he can, I don't actually have the game as of yet) and just like a real boxer, get in and get out. Also, side tilt all the way.

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
Make sure to stay center stage. Don't go to the sides of the stages unless gimping (if he can, I don't actually have the game as of yet) and just like a real boxer, get in and get out. Also, side tilt all the way.
ZeRo did that one gimp off the side of the stage, but that's super risky. His dair is kind of useful, but not worth it.

Thanks for the advice.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Does Mac have anything to keep his momentum after sending an opponent offstage? A meteor smash, edgeguard options, anything?
How fast does he fall if he does Slip Counter in the air? Does it stall him for a bit?
(I swear that triggered counter is at least as good as Jolt Haymaker in terms of recovery distance)

Vyous

Smash Rookie
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you can f-smash raw out of little mac's run. It might be a good approach if you think you're opponent is going to try and poke you out, since you can beat their poke with the armor, and they might not expect it.

NOSTK

Smash Rookie
Does Mac have anything to keep his momentum after sending an opponent offstage? A meteor smash, edgeguard options, anything?
How fast does he fall if he does Slip Counter in the air? Does it stall him for a bit?
(I swear that triggered counter is at least as good as Jolt Haymaker in terms of recovery distance)
Slip Counter does slow him down, but personally I don't like it to recover, it's far too slow.
He has some edgeguard options on ground, however, if you mean jumping in the air, then now. As far as I know he has no meteor smashes. Stick to d-smash and u-smash to edgeguard.

Firekid2

Smash Apprentice
Question: Is it widely known that Mac has a wall jump for some reason? Cause I didn't know that...

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
may have been answered already but what moves get armor? I know fsmash seems to get armor but what moved get what kind of armor? I feel like some have light armor, some heavy, and some have super but i cant tell which has what since ive side specialed through projectiles but have been utilted out if it by shulk so im not sure what has what. prob would be good to know before i just go running in thinking i have armor that i dont have lol

.:TAC:.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5000-4282-8370
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you can f-smash raw out of little mac's run. It might be a good approach if you think you're opponent is going to try and poke you out, since you can beat their poke with the armor, and they might not expect it.
How do you manage to do this just let go of dash and smash immediately or is there more to it? I 've been in training mode and I can get it 10% of the time.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
How in the hell do you get grabs with Mac? His grab range is F- - tier

The lack of a grab game makes approaching a nightmare, since they can just shield you. All you can try to do is bait out an attack from them, but if they don't bite, you're ****ed.

Last edited:

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Any obvious ways of dealing with Mac's KO Punch I'm missing? Sometimes I feel like I'm dying to it when I really shouldn't, and Mac just holds so much pressure by simply leaving the bar charged. I'm just having a hard time dealing with him when he has that move up.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Any obvious ways of dealing with Mac's KO Punch I'm missing? Sometimes I feel like I'm dying to it when I really shouldn't, and Mac just holds so much pressure by simply leaving the bar charged. I'm just having a hard time dealing with him when he has that move up.
Well, you can always try to bait it. Some characters are better at that than others. Don't do unsafe stuff if you're in range of the punch. Y' Know, the basic. Hit him hard, don't get hit and you win?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
How in the hell do you get grabs with Mac? His grab range is F- - tier

The lack of a grab game makes approaching a nightmare, since they can just shield you. All you can try to do is bait out an attack from them, but if they don't bite, you're ****ed.
If they just shield you, that's when you grab them.

:L

Mienaikage

Smash Cadet
A downward fSmash (hook) might make your opponent think twice about shielding, that thing really eats into it.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Well, you can always try to bait it. Some characters are better at that than others. Don't do unsafe stuff if you're in range of the punch. Y' Know, the basic. Hit him hard, don't get hit and you win?
I guess, maybe I'm just overreacting and letting that move get in my head too much or something. It just feels like I whiff one roll and I get KO'd, miss a grab get KO'd, mistime a spotdodge get KO'd. As long as the Mac player just waits it out and find the right moment to use it its such a powerful tool to have.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
If you're really afraid of it all you have to do is avoid Little Mac for 6 seconds after he gets it. Any damage he takes after that will kill his K.O. punch.

I've been playing Little Mac for most of the weekend and he just seems one dimensional. I wanted to main him since his reveal but now I'm slowly not feeling it anymore. I find myself using dash attack like 80% of the time to rack up damage then try to finish with an Usmash or Fsmash. Is this how he should be played cuz it gets kind of boring for me?

I really want to main this character but right now he looks like he might move to a secondary

LightningLoops

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrayUSA
3DS FC
1092-0083-1620
My younger brother plays Little Mac. Heres some tips from both of us;
- Run and pivot into F-tilt or grab. Add some variety to your dash attacks.
- On ledge, jump and immediately Down-B. Great punish for over-aggressive opponents.
- While edgeguarding, grab your opponent, pummel them but don't throw them. When they break free, catch them in the air with a F-smash or F-tilt.
- Press A twice, wait a moment, then press A. You get your two jabs, then the launcher. You can also jab twice, then grab.
- Up-smash has a sweet spot when close to the opponent. You'll notice when the opponent is launched with flames.

Last edited:

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
If they just shield you, that's when you grab them.

:L
they can shield you on reaction, and going for a grab requires you to get in so close that they can also just spot dodge. Mac's lil ass arms need to be inside them to grab, it's as telegraphed as a lot of his heavy hit moves, but without the benefit of any armor or low profile hurtboxes.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
they can shield you on reaction, and going for a grab requires you to get in so close that they can also just spot dodge. Mac's lil *** arms need to be inside them to grab, it's pretty awful.
Most of Mac's moves are safe on shield. And they shouldn't be able to shield moves like Ftilt, Dtilt, and Jab on reaction. Fsmash is also safe on block and does quite a bit of shield damage. Mix that up with grabs and those up with grabs and shield shouldn't be a problem. Due to the safeness of his moves on block, he is able to do shield pressure quite well.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Most of Mac's moves are safe on shield. And they shouldn't be able to shield moves like Ftilt, Dtilt, and Jab on reaction. Fsmash is also safe on block and does quite a bit of shield damage. Mix that up with grabs and those up with grabs and shield shouldn't be a problem. Due to the safeness of his moves on block, he is able to do shield pressure quite well.
So what you're saying is "get used to just beating the **** out of people's shields." I guess I can dig that.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
If you're really afraid of it all you have to do is avoid Little Mac for 6 seconds after he gets it. Any damage he takes after that will kill his K.O. punch.
Derp, I did not know it timed out like that. It's so strange after playing brawl to suddenly know so little about the game right now.

TheMiggidyMacDuffy

Smash Rookie
so it's a given that FD and its variants are mac's ideal stages, but does anyone have any advice for playing on stages like battlefield? it doesn't seem like he has many options for reliably getting to opponents on platforms

Top Bottom