• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Docs Dair, what can i do besides drill grab?

poega

Smash Apprentice
The best part about the dair is that stacks up lots of % when thrown out full hopped prior to enemies jumping into it. U can follow that up with a uair which wont lead to much as this prolly was during low %. If u use it on ground use grab or try to space their or shine or so and get a bigger move off. I saw OTG doing a bunch of fsmash after it, which ofc is super deadly. Then again, getting a grab off is ****ing glorious so if u can get it, do it imo.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
dude lcanceling docs dair through a player let alone shield is hard. But yea i really like that cheap dair->uair when i catch my opponent with a full hop. But honestly i like to stay grounded with doc

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Disclaimer: I'm not experience in terms of tournaments and competitions so don't take my word for it but...

I find that if you can catch your opponent as he's getting up from a failed tech, if you SH dAir and kind of DI to stay on top of him then you can lock him down and if you can L-Cancel then follow up with a grab or the smash move of your choice.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
I find it more of a situational move, I'll sometimes use it while falling onto the stage from high recovering, or not up sometimes i just get a few hits L cancel and for an aerial, when up close, instead of a grab you can use an utilt well after it as well, if theyre a bit further ftilt, i love ftilt its one of doc's moves with decent range, you could go for a dsmash, fsmash, WD backwards do a rising pill, WL on a platform go for another pill or an aerial or ledge grab, wl on stage to a dmash, you cant just look at a move like it only has potential with certain moves or you'll develop too much of a habit

poega

Smash Apprentice
I swear I tried for 15 full minutes to read that sentence

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Edgeguarding a space animal coming up. Dair into f-tilt and crap like that. Easier than caping initially, sets up an easy offstage cape.

Combos vs floaties from throw for damage. D-throw dair uair is decent, as is d-throw dair DJ dair.

Combo breaking. It has priority.

Otherwise in general Doc dislikes jumping unless he's comboing or repositioning.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
When you're both in the air (especially when you're falling and your enemy is jumping up to you) I like to use it to disrupt them to throw them off a bit; kind of like throwing in a dash attack every now and then to mix things up. Instead of hitting them with a Nair and sending them flying you just go right through them with your down air. If you tech it right then you're on the ground and they're still in the air so you can follow up with an Uair.

SmashMac

Smash Lord
As a simple answer to the OP I'll reply with some of the ways I use Doc's dair:

1.) FH rising dair approach against floaties
2.) Around 35 - 45% against most floaties I dthrow to FH rising dair, FF uair juggle or whatever the situation says
3.) Rising dair from the ledge, FF usmash or grab or whatever the situation shows me
4.) Falling dair to DJ bair people into the stage as an edgeguard
5.) Dairs are very good vs. Jiggs as well

Max?

Smash Champion
One use for Dair I've come up with is in platform tech chases. Hit someone onto the platform above you? Jump with a rising Dair and follow their tech/no tech to tack on a bunch of damage. There are instances when this will also reset someone who missed a tech and you can get a nice punish off of it. And yes, dair -> fsmash can work, but once again, not guaranteed, just gotta feel it out. It's nice coming up from the ledge tho.

koloblican11763

Smash Apprentice
I got some really good advice at Evo from Lambchops reguarding the dair. Using the dair is very effective to snuff laser rushes and sh dairs from Falco. Just FJ + DI and you can position yourself behind shield and either follow up grab or run the hell away if you want spacing. Works well against any hard ground or sh approach I have found thus far, but this is a new technique I have learned and haven't had time to really flesh it out.

Zonak

Smash Cadet
I find dair to be a very good anti-approach option, especially when you've been knocked up and they want to continue to combo. It's really good at keeping opponents back and making them respect you.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
THe only problem with that is if they read you and they don't fall for it then you're open to a punish.

But then again that goes for pretty much anything except for... *cough* shine *cough* op *cough cough*

Last edited:

Hairysun

Smash Rookie
I mainly use Dair to prevent my opponent from using the platforms to escape chaingrabs. After my throw, I immediately FH to Dair and cover the platform. From here, if I get the L-cancel, I can Utilt, Dsmash, drop down to Uair, or even go for another grab. Honestly, you can get a lot of different stuff out of Dair when used in this situation.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
It's great for stopping cpt.falcon's and fox's SH & FH approaches, racking up damages for floaties, coming down safely from above, resetting people who are lying on the ground, or doing "The Combo" which, works of every character (d.throw > d.air > up+b)

Last edited:
Top Bottom