• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doc vs. Mario

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I get that Doc is better than Mario, but why is he better? Other than pills being jumpy and fair not being a ******** meteor attack?

Yeah, it's a stupid question especially this late in Smash's lifetime, but I never really knew the details behind it.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
Doc's pills are better. Hands down. More hit stun, better angle, yada yada.
Doc is heavier than Mario, which makes him faster in the air, thus more mobile all around
and DON'T TALK **** ABOUT MARIO'S FAIR
HE'LL SHOVE THAT OVERSIZED FIST UP YOUR POOPER

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
this thread has been done way too many times. strictly speaking they're about even, however Doc does better against all of the characters who matter except Sheik and MAYBE Ganondorf.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Thanks everyone.

Doc's pills are better. Hands down. More hit stun, better angle, yada yada.
Doc is heavier than Mario, which makes him faster in the air, thus more mobile all around
and DON'T TALK **** ABOUT MARIO'S FAIR
HE'LL SHOVE THAT OVERSIZED FIST UP YOUR POOPER
So...is that a serious threat response? About the fair I mean?

this thread has been done way too many times. strictly speaking they're about even, however Doc does better against all of the characters who matter except Sheik and MAYBE Ganondorf.
Sorry for the repeats. The other day I sat and realized that I never actually knew why Doc was higher. Looking at the tier list they're in the same tier (always thought that Doc was much higher, like back when there was ~7 tiers).

Why is that though (match-up)? Is it because of everything that has already been said or is there more to it?

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
nah not really serious about the fair. Doc's has more utility, I'm just saying Mario's has its strong points too.
but this thread isn't about fair it's about Doc vs Mario
and I agree with strongbad. it's basically all been said before

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Mario's u-air has more range and gives him a good way to lead into d-smash/u-tilt vs Fox and Falco. I can see why Doc's b-air and cape are important, but it seems like Mario's b-air would be good enough to edgeguard spacies (at least, it's significantly better against them than it is against Falcon).

Mario's aerials are all safer against ccing and shielding than Doc's, so he might have an easier time approaching Peach and Samus, but I guess I don't know much about these match-ups for Doc. Mario does take his time killing Peach, but builds up damage on her pretty quickly anyways.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Mario's bair sends at an angle of ~45 degrees, while Doc's sends at an angle of 28 degrees. I needn't explain why Doc's is infinitely better as far as edgeguarding goes.

Mario lacks killing moves. His down-b, dair, dtilt, and nair are about the only moves in his repertoire that are better than Doc's, although his fsmash has much better range and is actually usable outside of dthrow with bad DI -> fsmash.

Doc's pills make him much better than Mario against Peach, Samus, and Jigglypuff. Doc's bair and fair are why he's better in the Fox and Falco match-ups.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Mario's bair sends at an angle of ~45 degrees, while Doc's sends at an angle of 28 degrees. I needn't explain why Doc's is infinitely better as far as edgeguarding goes.
me said:
I can see why Doc's b-air and cape are important, but it seems like Mario's b-air would be good enough to edgeguard spacies
I know Doc's b-air sends at a more useful trajectory, but Falco and Fox are two of the lightest characters in the game. I was saying I can't see it making a significant difference in this match-up if neither character has trouble edgeguarding in the first place.

Mario lacks killing moves. His down-b, dair, dtilt, and nair are about the only moves in his repertoire that are better than Doc's, although his fsmash has much better range and is actually usable outside of dthrow with bad DI -> fsmash.
Mario's u-air has more range and is a few frames safer on shield, his u-tilt is infinitely better, his b-air, while worse for edgeguarding, is also safer on shield, and his f-air is better against cc. What was the point of this list again?

Doc's bair and fair are why he's better in the Fox and Falco match-ups.
Why f-air? What makes it a better finisher than d-throw -> d-smash/f-smash?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
mario definitely does have trouble edgeguarding fox and falco. he can bair them twice and they can still recover if they DI'd well. two off-stage bairs from doc? later.
his cape is also worse as far as vertical coverage goes.

i forgot about utilt. i agree with that. i don't agree on any of the rest.... fair shouldn't be used against ccing opponents w/ doc anyway. uair/bair being safer on shield doesn't matter because if you space right you won't get shield grabbed.

you can't combo dthrow -> dsmash or fsmash against anyone other than Fox, Falco, and Falcon at killing %.
do keep in mind that Doc's dsmash is also stronger than Mario's

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
How can you not agree with the rest? You can't really agree or disagree with facts lol... As for f-air against cc, maybe Doc doesn't use it because his f-air can be cc'd, but it's definitely useful for Mario whose cc'd f-air leads into grab/u-tilt/d-smash.

Mario's late n-air/b-air/u-air all have a -1 frame disadvantage, Doc's late n-air/b-air/u-air have -3 and -4 frame disadvantages. If you can space around shieldgrab with Doc's u-air every single time, good for you, but Mario's aerials are still better on shield and he has more ways to follow them up safely. Shieldgrab also isn't the only option oos.

you can't combo dthrow -> dsmash or fsmash against anyone other than Fox, Falco, and Falcon at killing %.
do keep in mind that Doc's dsmash is also stronger than Mario's
I was responding to the part of your post that said "f-air is why he's better against Fox and Falco"... And the couple of extra % on Doc's d-smash is marginal. My point was that Mario's grab game on spacies is essentially the same.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
So it's mostly trajectory and power? Is there a list of all the differences? Also, why is Mario's utilt better?

VGmasta

Smash Lord
And yet ANOTHER "Why is Doc better than Mario thread?", lol.
Doc's f-air and the pills are the main reason I picked up Doc and dropped Mario. Doc has such a better projectile on stage. Mario's fireball is a bit faster than Doc's pill and it travels a bit further too. But that doesn't make it that big of a difference ON STAGE since the fireballs don't bounce very high no matter how high you throw them from. So Mario's projectile is a lot easier to get around in my opinion. Plus Doc's projectile has a 33% increase in damage given from Mario's projectile.

I only favor the fireballs over Doc's pill if I'm trying to float back down and towards the stage after being knocked away. The fireballs can disrupt an opponent's edgeguard quicker than the pills because of the better traveling distance and speed of the fireball.

I'm not saying Doc's BETTER than Mario. But Doc's the better character for ME. And I could say exactly why Doc's better for me, but it'd be such a long list that I've kinda quoted in the past so many times already. "Doc has this and Doc has that while Mario lacks this and that... blah, blah, blah". I'll post more about it I guess, depending on how hot or stale this thread becomes.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Easier to kill things with Fair as doc than mario.

We aren't looking to combo, we are looking to finish the job quickly.

He has pills.

Sure he can't combo as good as Mario, but we aren't looking for safety.

j3ly

Smash Champion
im not going to get involved.

mario will take you further though.

ps if anybody sees this in the next 10 minutes tell me how to do the upB glitch please. practising my jiggly matchup

and it is imo that mario has better matchups against fox falco and falcon.
bair is ok for gimping with mario and good with doc. bair at mario's angle is important for comboinghowever, and doc totally looses this.

mario has much better recovery. even docs recovery is good with good DI though. but he cant pressure an edgehogging opponent from that many recovery angles, as well as no cape lift, so bye bye doc.

no insanely fast and safe wall of flaming firey destruction? later doc.

j3ly

Smash Champion
ur a compulsive flamer and by the sounds of it a massive douche irl.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
And yet ANOTHER "Why is Doc better than Mario thread?", lol.
Doc's f-air and the pills are the main reason I picked up Doc and dropped Mario. Doc has such a better projectile on stage. Mario's fireball is a bit faster than Doc's pill and it travels a bit further too. But that doesn't make it that big of a difference ON STAGE since the fireballs don't bounce very high no matter how high you throw them from. So Mario's projectile is a lot easier to get around in my opinion. Plus Doc's projectile has a 33% increase in damage given from Mario's projectile.

I only favor the fireballs over Doc's pill if I'm trying to float back down and towards the stage after being knocked away. The fireballs can disrupt an opponent's edgeguard quicker than the pills because of the better traveling distance and speed of the fireball.

I'm not saying Doc's BETTER than Mario. But Doc's the better character for ME. And I could say exactly why Doc's better for me, but it'd be such a long list that I've kinda quoted in the past so many times already. "Doc has this and Doc has that while Mario lacks this and that... blah, blah, blah". I'll post more about it I guess, depending on how hot or stale this thread becomes.
By all means, please get more in-depth. I'm intrigued. :)

Seems like it's just a trade-off of traits more than anything. I used to assume that Doc was MUCH higher on the tier list than Mario, but now that I looked at the tier list again, they seem rather close (I think...can't remember).

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
im not going to get involved.

mario will take you further though.

ps if anybody sees this in the next 10 minutes tell me how to do the upB glitch please. practising my jiggly matchup

and it is imo that mario has better matchups against fox falco and falcon.
bair is ok for gimping with mario and good with doc. bair at mario's angle is important for comboinghowever, and doc totally looses this.

mario has much better recovery. even docs recovery is good with good DI though. but he cant pressure an edgehogging opponent from that many recovery angles, as well as no cape lift, so bye bye doc.

no insanely fast and safe wall of flaming firey destruction? later doc.
"I'm not getting involved"

*he gets involved*

Fire is for wimps.

and NO, no upb cancel for you. Learn it on your own. go to the doc boards and search it yourself. It's been said A JILLION TIMES.

You don't need upb cancel for jiggs. Just pills and grab (dthrow) and fair. Add more moves for spice. (and NOT GETTING HIT needs to be in your mind when playing jiggs)

doc's recovery is not good.

Mario's recovery can be slightly better than doc, but not that good anyways. Plus, his cape is YELLOW. **** that.

But yeah, I like doc's fair better. I like moves with knockback.

Mario is viable, just not for me.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
BTW j3ly, up-B to walljump can only be done if you execute your up-b when touching the wall. Either that or the timing window become notoriously small if you aren't touching the stage 1st.

Ok, as it has been said by the Smash trophies and previous threads, "It's a matter of personal taste."

Mario = Better recovery, Comboability
Doc = Better edgeguards, KO power

/generalization

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah... so as doc, we just simply have to evade alot and not get hit (like jiggs does, she dies easily from KO's) and edge guard like a pimp.

It's like... we are a lower tier version of jiggs. Cept that we get killed by edge guard more than upwards.

and we don't... well our bair is good. : ] I guess jiggs bair is better, but we got pills!

oh yeah she floats. and she has rest xD

but we have a cape.... ;-;

and with Mario, you BETTER FOLLOW UP WITH YOUR DOCTOR.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
BTW j3ly, up-B to walljump can only be done if you execute your up-b when touching the wall. Either that or the timing window become notoriously small if you aren't touching the stage 1st.
I think j3ly meant to ask about Doc's upb cancel
which is press the opposite direction of your upb within the first 3(?) frames
if it's not 3 frames, it's smaller

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I think j3ly meant to ask about Doc's upb cancel
which is press the opposite direction of your upb within the first 3(?) frames
if it's not 3 frames, it's smaller
Oh the ground Up-B that doesn't make you jump? I never mastered that D:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
When you press reverse, press the oppisite and downward... as fast as a smash attack, or faster. Try it like that : D. Just keep trying. It took me a WHOLE weekend to perfect it.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I did it! Apparentlly, like Mario's Up-B Cancel Recovery, Doc's Grounded Up-B must be connecting to an object (in this case, the opponent) at startup.

Delaro

Smash Cadet
Better gimping vs fox falco samus

Better KO setup vs peach and better pills and better gimping
I'm sorry but the Doc vs Peach matchup is a real JOKE any good peach player can take advantage from the matchup and kick the poor *** of Doc!

4 Aces

Smash Ace
What's the difference between Mario's and Doc's recoveries? I believe that Doc's rising upB doesn't carry him as high, and his cape/sheet doesn't help him recover (my friend always argues that it does though, so Idk).

And Mario's fireball rate is slightly higher/travels farther? That's all I can think of though.

Top Bottom