• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Doc in or out? What's your opinion!

Fartemup

Smash Journeyman
To everyone saying he should be a costume because he'd waste character space if he were in the roster:

I'm no video game coding expert, but wouldn't adding a whole seperate costume take almost as much time/space in the game as making him a seperate character? I mean, you still have to add basically a whole different character with a whole different look, a different taunt, and a different 'B' attack. If you go through all that you might as well make him a different character, and just modify his weight/pills/whatever else and make him a clone.
Actually, you're right. Coding-wise, he would be the basically same amount of work. But still, it would affect the game whether or not he goes in, for example, perhaps to get a character you need to play with all the original characters in Classic mode, Dr. Mario might be one less or one more to play as because he wouldn't or would be an offical character.
That's just an example, I'm not claiming that Classic will be a mode in Brawl or anything, and I'm sure there are MANY other instances where this would be important, but otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
3. Doc becomes an alternate costume to Mario (complete w/ pills)

I'm going with that option

He was a nice character to play as but many fans want him gone :(

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Are you seriously comparing Wario and Dr. Mario? Please explain to me how Wario is simply the Mario Clone of Brawl?

Aside from the fact that they are both completely different characters, Wario's moveset, which has already been shown to be comepletely original to the Smash Bros. Series, doesnt resemble Mario's moveset in the slightest.

Dr. Mario, as we have previously stated, is Mario with pills.

And you can't even begin to use Waluigi for a basis of ur arguement considering he hasnt been confirmed yet.
W.e I still say other people need a chance in ssbb because doc is mario, so why don't they just make the new mario just as good and add other characters

Mersh

Smash Apprentice

I honestly can't see Dr. Mario continuing to occupy that precious character slot when Sakurai himself has stated that he doesn't want clones. Really, Dr. Mario never merited himself a spot to begin with. But as a costume to Mario, why not?

DNA13

Smash Apprentice
to many mario chars=me wishing they would give a little mor diversity to the roaster
not to say that doc couldnt hav a moveset overhaul making him unique but they hav to many mario chars already, just dump doc and the numbers 4 (not counting yoshi, wario, or dk), thats aobut how many any franchise should hav, evne if it is mario, ya gotta draw the line somewhere

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
I'll have a #3 with a side of Pichu's impending demise, to go.

I love the idea of costumes, but not a square on the board. At least WW Link and TP Link are two different characters continuity-wise.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
I think a costume and that's it.

I second this, costume would be perfect. They should make a Doc stage also, just like the game Doc Mario for NES (or SNES), where you fight in this bottle, and only 1 small opening to die to... and uh, would be cool to have weird pills dropping around... (definatly not a stage everyone is going to love that's for sure.)

EggBomb

Smash Apprentice
I would like to see Doc return to continue prescribing KOs, but I feel it is unlikely. I do think that they could potentially de-clonize him...give him a Healing move (sim to Ness vB) or a move with the Viruses (an effect like Mario's ^B where he punches viruses out of people instead of coins, but the move itself be different). They did create a moveset for everyone, so making a brand new one for Doc wouldn't be that hard.

I want option 2, but think option 1 will happen.

I for some reason would rather see Doc not returning then as a costume. To me, It'd be like taking Ken out of a street fighter game and giving Ryu a Red costume.

Tera253

Smash Ace
if 3 characters get the boot, it'll most likely be Pichu, Roy, and Young Link. Doc would have to be 4th. Tera gets this impression that Doc will barely make the cut.
THE REASONING: (yeah, it's crap, but it's reasoning)
1. they were clones (yeah, yeah, the usual)
2. Doc is one of the icons of classic gaming (Tera's definition of a classic game is one you can get someone over 40 to play, and one that made back in the 20th century)
3. this one is actually a reasonable reason. (heh.) actually, that'd be #4.
4. Young Link is in the same series as Link, Roy is from the same series as Marth, and Pichu is in the asme series as Pikachu. Dr. Mario was his own series. if you were an expert at Super Mario Bros., you could still completely suck at Dr. Mario, whereas if you're good at one Pokemon, one Zelda, or one Fire Emblem (Tera assumes on that last one) you could easily catch the gist on any other game from the series.

that last reason was simply a comparison of histories. no dissage on any of those series. and since #3 wasn't too fantabulous, Tera'll throw in another one.

3. Doc is not "overloading the series". the Zelda series is tied at the moment, and we can count on Pokemon doing the same thing.

~Tera253~

Conker1

Smash Ace
Roy has a better chance than the Doc seeing that he is at least a different person. =/

Hell I would rather see Pichu stay before Doc Mario.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
#3 would be nice or #2 and give him all new moveset so that none of his moves are cloned.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Roy has a better chance than the Doc seeing that he is at least a different person. =/

Hell I would rather see Pichu stay before Doc Mario.
Yes your totally right there. Roy could easly be Luigified, Pichu could to, but it only doesn't look very... believeable if Pichu comes back with a totally different moveset from Pikachu... Same for Dr.Mario, but then in a much bigger extent.

Kamaji

Smash Ace
i say drop mario and replace him with doc :chuckle:
YES! Thats what I'm talking about lol! I'm almost positive that he will be dropped for clone reasons, but I'm gunna miss him so much! He's my MAIN!!! i guess I will always have a nerfed fox to fall back on...

Procrasticritter

Smash Journeyman
I didn't think that Dr. Mario was different enough from regular Mario; I don't think they will have him back in Brawl. Probably just as an alt costume, if anything

Keige

Smash Journeyman
I vote for #3. But if you're using the Doc costume, he should play like Doc from Melee. Because his pills' trajectories are different from Mario's fire balls, I prefer him more. But I'll be using Pit as my main, so if he's gone I won't be THAT disappointed.

soaz

Smash Ace
number 3 sounds good it would be cool if stuff would change when you change color.I wonder what Falco would be shoting.

Krii

Smash Journeyman
An alternate costume if any would be the most practical route to take, Doc does have different play but he is completely the same person. Any other entity would just be idiotic.

Tera253

Smash Ace
[1stperson]
I s'pose the alt. costume thing could work out--provided they had at least 4 of them and the black one. Dr. Mario is far too cool to leave completely.
then again, would the announcer say "Dr. Mario"?
I suddenly got unusually good with Dr. Mario over the last 4.8102947501628503029165638299472105621014521 days, and he's now my 3rd main (a backup).
dont' leave me Doc.
[/1stperson]
~Tera253~

Krii

Smash Journeyman
It's not like it's unheard of to have an extra or hidden character as an alternate costume. If you look at the tekken series (Tekken 4) You can choose Eddie from behind the other chick that knows Capuera.

Therein resting the idea of an alternate costume.

Krii

Smash Journeyman
It would be dissapointing if they do remove Doc from the Fighting aspect. But altogether there are more Doc players than Mario players. Maybe Doc's play-style will just get adopted by Mario.

It is one method of Keeping both characters. Yet, if that was the method they took, Mario would still have Forward Fireballs.

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
Eh... I'm not quite decided between 2 and 3.

If he was a costume, he should be the best costume. Pills, Alternate Sounds, the reflective doctor ...thing... on his head rather than a hat, etc.

Also, Shadow Mario would also be a good Mario Costume too.
(That is, if Bowser Jr. isn't in the game, or doesn't transform into Shadow Mario)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
It would be dissapointing if they do remove Doc from the Fighting aspect. But altogether there are more Doc players than Mario players. Maybe Doc's play-style will just get adopted by Mario.
Actually it wouldn't, and how do you know that there are more Doc players than Mario? I'm also hoping that Mario will be supped up little like Dr.Mario was in his damaging but I doubting that because he is the most balanced character that they'll probably have.

TakDragon7

Smash Lord
Heatwave City, where air conditioners dont do jack

It is one method of Keeping both characters. Yet, if that was the method they took, Mario would still have Forward Fireballs.
Just gotta love Doc's pills XDDD

Brawler

Smash Rookie
3. Doc becomes an alternate costume to Mario (complete w/ pills)

I'm going with that option

He was a nice character to play as but many fans want him gone :(
thats the best idea imo. doc was unexpected but was too much like mario, thus the excitement of the new character was soon lost.

experiment111

Smash Journeyman
i say 3 cos he just dont deserve a character space. But pichu is much less deserving of a spot. I wouldn't mind if 1 2 or 4 happened tho

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't want it to be true but I say 3. If I was Sakurai I would keep him along with all Melee characters but he is likely gone.

Hotztuph

Smash Cadet
Hey i really like Doc and i want him back but i don't think they'll put him in as a character so probobly 2 or 3
hopefully. . .

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I still'd like to see the Doc outfit and listen to the music.

No point in NOT giving this little treat to his fans at the very least.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I choose 1.

He can't be an alt. costume anymore, and why two Mario(s)? And the reason why he was added in Melee... wasn't good.

Astr0ace

Smash Rookie
Out. I'd like to see him as an alternate costume for Mario though. Like they did for Wario.

Top Bottom