• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use your taunt? Why?

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
:4jigglypuff:I don't usually get to taunt after stocks because I'll usually be asleep, but if I gimp them at a low percent, I'll make sure they know my name. "JIGGLYPUFF!"
:4megaman:I have learned the perfect timing to teleport away just as the game ends. It's pretty cool. Other than that, I don't really taunt with Mega Man.
:4gaw:Game and Watch ditto? Up taunt followed by side taunt. I got a 9? Up taunt followed by side taunt. I killed with Oil Panic? Up taunt followed by side taunt. I absorbed Ness'/Lucas' up-b? Up taunt followed by side taunt. I meteored/stage-spiked them? Up taunt followed by side taunt. I two stocked them? Up taunt followed by side taunt. I can't get enough of Gdubs' taunts. And if I win a close game, I'll use down taunt to sort of say "That was close, gg."
:4bowser:Down taunt if they SD. Lel.
:4kirby:Down taunt for Kirby dittos. "Hiii~!"
:4metaknight:If the opponent is camping I'll tell them nicely to "Fight me."

1FC0

Smash Lord
I taunt at the start of matches as good sport between players. If they return the taunt(which most people do), It helps lighten the mood of the fight so that nobody feels mad about the match

Only people I've found who don't return this are Falcon, ZSS, Sonic and Fox players.
I normally hit my opponent with a laser when he taunts at the start of the match. I might return the taunt after killing him though. Does that lighten the mood too?

DoctaOcto190

Smash Rookie
I dont really ever taunt. I usually only use it when I find some one decent on fg at the start of the match to show respect/show that im enjoying my self.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
I usually uptaunt as Falcon when I'm getting salty or too hype in order to become immersed in the game and mentally strengthen myself. Also down taunt is mandatory.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
Fox has the best taunt for use against campers (come on!). Otherwise I don't taunt unless they start, then the match either becomes much friendlier or it becomes a salt mountain.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Fox has the best taunt for use against campers (come on!). Otherwise I don't taunt unless they start, then the match either becomes much friendlier or it becomes a salt mountain.
Nah it does not work. Recently I played against a Fox who started doing the "Come on!" taunt but I outcamped and beat him anyway. I think that Fox is better off utilising his Reflector or speed against campers.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I like to dash dance after a kill with all characters, unless my opponent SD'd out of fear of being gimped, in which case I stand as close to the edge as possible and crouch, like, "hey, where'd you go?".

With Luigi. I usually down B.

With Kirby, I just turn around repeatedly, because it looks like he's dancing :3

With Fox/Falco, I shoot a laser across the stage. Bang.

With Marth, I up smash.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
If I get a combo off that I thought was pretty nice, I usually will do Mario's hat-off taunt.

If I SD as Fox I like to do "Hear I come!" I think it's funny c:

If I'm playing Falcon and my opponent SD's, I like to use "Come on! Show me your moves!" one after another. I like to use it encouragingly :)

If my opponent does/tries something disrespectful (or they just get something really crazy off), after I take their stock I will reply with "Don't try me." when playing Falco.

When you get a forward tilt KO with Bowser, or his new koopa claw down throw I always down taunt after. It emphasizes his power haha, and his roar sounds really cool.
I personally feel Bowser could use a much more powerful up-taunt roar. I imagine him stomping his foot and throwing himself back, standing straight, and arching his claws out with his head up with a new roar sound effect. I think that would look really awesome.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Some of these posts are pretty funny.

I usually say hi with Kirby at match start.
Villager's down taunt means either 'whoops, I messed up.' or 'Well, that's no fun at all..' (Like when a player SDs on purpose).

I also use Peach's side taunt when it's a friendlier match to mess around.

eherogirl

Smash Cadet
NNID
eherogirl
3DS FC
4656-8298-7700
I love taunting whenever I have the extra time against people. I'm just into teasing my opponents though.

zapfish

Smash Rookie
NNID
zapfish
with MK I'll always do "fight me" against same series, same w/ kirby's "hi". and of course, I always try to get ness players to say "okay" back at me (i have a fairly decent success rate with this, shoutout to the ness players who respond to other fighter's phrases, you're all wonderful).

iAmKababMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
iAmKababMan
95% of FG players bore the heck out of me so I look for new ways to entertain my self until I find a good player.
2 taunts and a tea bag if they kill themselves.
A taunt out of respect for a sick kill that either one of us got.
Whenever my opponent taunts at the beginning of the match. I despise it when my opponent does it at the beginning of EVERY game though...
I use taunts for ultimate disrespect and mind games too, it usually forces an approach or a dumb decision due to frustration.

So now that you've read my life story, yes I do use taunts.

Yogurt

Smash Cadet
I usually don't taunt unless the other person taunts first, and that's only if Im winning ,_,

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
If playing as Cpt. Falcon, I use his up-taunt to "power-up" at the beginning of a match, then immediately raptor-boost... :grin:
I often taunt as kirby, but usually, it's to discard my copy ability and get another one. ;) I tend to taunt after getting a KO with other characters.
I will admit there was one time in brawl when I decided to (as Wario) walk over to a blast box, sit there and use Wario's down taunt (the one where he laughs, and closes his mouth) when Fox from the other side used a side-smash and blasted me off-screen...

Easily though, my favourite thing to do is to taunt after completely owning someone as cpt. falcon! (usually "show ya moves!")

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I try to refrain from taunting when I can and my general rule is not to taunt unless my opponent does it first. Most consider it rude or disrespectful so I'd rather not come off as one of those players to them when I just want to have fun. The only times I will use them:

At the start of the Match
I typically do not do "Taunt Greetings" at all cause not everyone on For Glory is accustomed to them, plus some will see it as a chance to get a free hit in. That being said I will only do them when my opponent does it first as a sign of respect to them.

When someone chooses to overuse them/taunts in a disrespectful manner
You can taunt after a nice KO. After all if it's a really good one you should be allowed to celebrate; however I simply cannot stand the players who have to taunt literally everything. An SD, every single KO they get, and having to taunt multiple times during a match is not only annoying but in my eyes shows me you are an insanely cocky player. This is when I will gladly return the favor 10 fold. You have no idea how mad some players get when it happens to them because they cannot handle the same treatment.

When playing against passive/camper players
This is the only time where I will use a taunt on my own accord. I dislike passive players a lot who really make no effort to attack you unless you approach them first. Ya know, the kind that thinks dodging and waiting at the edges the whole time is the best thing to do. So what I do is I'll taunt and wait for them in hopes of baiting them. If I taunt enough maybe it'll make them want to attack.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Either way I'm perfectly content on waiting, especially when I'm a stock ahead.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I sometimes taunt after a KO as a habit because of the bonus in Melee where you taunt during a finishing KO.

Crimgan

Smash Cadet
NNID
veno6478
3DS FC
4871-6162-6796
I only really taunt with certain characters such as Shulk, Megaman, Sonic, and Zero suit samus in certain situations. I'm more of a "Silent warrior " and unless I'm feeling cocky I don't taunt most of the time.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I use it after I get a KO on my opponent, and I don't think it's disrespectful. After all, you have the ENTIRE D-PAD on default mapped to taunts, so why waste an opportunity to (in my eyes) be friendly and make the game fun?

Also, Luigi and Greninja.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I don't really use a taunt. Why? Well, long story short.....

Fox's voice.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Zelda's "bye-bye" taunt is mandatory if the opponent SDs
Peach's and Palutena's side taunts are great for teasing, and sometimes the opponent gets angry and reckless right after you do it, so it makes the match a little more crazy.

Passcety

Smash Rookie
don't taunt too much, but wanna do more intro taunting because it's cute. "Let's get a good stretch" makes it like a workout session with a friend except you're killing each other
And Pac-Man's up taunt hoping for "I'm your friendo" or "ALERT, ALERT" to be all serious
"Let's stretch our legs" when messing around and we start doing a bunch of kicking moves

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I taunt after every single KO, because it's fun and I like doing it.

I don't do it for "mind-games", I don't do it to offend anyone, I do it because I personally find it amusing.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I taunt at the start of every match, typically with the Taunt that signals the other to bring it on.
Like Sonic's down Taunt, or Lucina's up Taunt

I also taunt if my opponent got a good kill on me, cause mad respect.

I don't taunt after I get a kill however, cause I want to focus on positioning for when my opponent lands.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I usually taunt after a really awesome/disrespectful KO. Kirby's D-taunt is a real killer. You can just taste the salt. The only thing this game is missing is the ability to plaster #rekt all across the screen...

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I usually taunt after a really awesome/disrespectful KO. Kirby's D-taunt is a real killer. You can just taste the salt. The only thing this game is missing is the ability to plaster #rekt all across the screen...
I guess if it was an online friend match in brawl, you could plaster #rekt on your taunt bubbles... ;)

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Which smash game? I find smash 4's voice actor sounds a bit... weird. (Brawl was better with Fox's VA IMO)
The Smash 4 version. My ears screamed when I heard "Here I come". Only that, Pit and Sonic's voice makes me cringe.
What's wrong with his voice?
Well, Fox sounds like an adolescent imo and sounds like his crying for his mom when he's fading away in the background. Just kinda whiny in general. Melee Fox's voice was the best.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yes, because the moves must be shown.

It's also a reflex from Super MNC, where taunting after a kill gives you bonus cash.

Top Bottom