• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use your taunt? Why?

Seb9k+

Smash Cadet
NNID
Seb9kplus
Had the laggiest match ever in FG just now, and my oponent was a pretty bad Pikachu player. I was Roy. With that intense lag (we're talking like 5-20fps and input delay), it wasn't that easy to try and avoid his ridiculous B and Smash spam, as any precision in controls was lost. When I whacked him out, he failed miserably at recovering, and I didn't taunt, since I hate when people taunt at my own fails.

Then, however, he manage to knock me out and he taunts and starts crawling around the place. Who'd even do that after I didn't even taunt at his fail? Then we both ended up with like 110% and he landed an fsmash and taunted as I died. So very mature.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
Only in certain situations. Personally I think going for a taunt to "make people salty" so they play worse is pretty low. If I want to play someone I want them at their best and if something should make someone mad it'd better be through solid play and not pressing a direction on the d pad.

The only times I'll taunt if someone decides to taunt on every stock and every time they kill me (at which I'll taunt once on winning the round), they keep doing something incredibly stupid and I punish them super hard for it (like the numerous ness players who think they can just pk headbutt into me or set up a pk flash next to themselves for free when I have a counter to use and they die) or someone is being an obvious super troll (as they just make things worse for everyone).

As for people who get upset and offended when other people don't taunt....I'm just....really? Wow.

Merkabo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Merkabo
3DS FC
2895-8009-7813
If you think my last sentence in my post was about girls should not play video games your wrong, she obviously beat me. I was talking about (if I was more specific) I was shocked because females are usually more kind and gentle. Her demeanor was very surprising to me. Come on man! :ohwell:
I get it I get it. I was just messing with ya. :p

salaboB

Smash Champion
I've decided that I like to taunt right at the start.

It gets even funnier if an enemy is charging me then kinda stops in the middle and doesn't know what to do because they feel like it might be rude to attack me (I'm fine if they get the first hit for it, one hit rarely decides a game)

Dudde

Smash Rookie
NNID
raddudde
3DS FC
1075-1056-9554
With :4megaman:, I'll usually use his down taunt at the end of a match. Just like his games, he makes his leave with a teleport.
And with :4ryu:, it's a growing habit to start with "Talk is cheap."

Any other times I taunt are when my opponent is super rude.
I do that SAME THING with Ryu and I dont even really play that character, but it just makes too much sense not to do.

I'll usually only taunt after a match If a player (usually on FG) Is taunting me after every kill and teabagging the whole game.
Or if i can tell the other player is friendly I'll taunt after they get a good kill on me, hoping they will taunt back. Also if I'm playing Roy and I'm facing a Marth player or another FE representative, It's almost always an instant mutual side-taunt from both of us lol.

I am guilty of popping off with Charizard whenever I beat a hard matchup though.

Glyphagos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Glyphagos
3DS FC
0490-7952-6058
I don't like to taunt after a KO because I feel bad doing it, especially if the opponent fighting me is just getting bodied by me. I don't like to break/crush People's spirits it makes me feel sad. The only time I ever use a taunt is if the opponent is taunting back at me after KOing me and trying to get under my skin. or if I just styled. (There are exceptions though since they may just be taunting that they did something epic or like what the OP says, to say Hi)

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
Its called smash appeal in Japan? huh?

Well here in the USA, it's called taunt.

Here is dictionary.com definition:
[tawnt, tahnt]
Spell Syllables
verb (used with object)
to reproach in a sarcastic, insulting, or jeering manner; mock.
to provoke by taunts; twit.
noun
an insulting gibe or sarcasm; scornful reproach or challenge.
Obsolete. an object of insulting gibes or scornful reproaches.

So ya...

Commander Fresh

Smash Cadet
NNID
CommanderFresh
Only when I play Captain Falcon. The show me your moves meta transcends whatever loser crap my opponent is trying to use at me.

Kittyfries

Smash Rookie
I personally don't taunt unless the other player did something really dumb or I did something cool! lol

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
I generally taunt when I have a long enough opening, just because it feels satisfying. Mostly when I play Shulk or Robin, and sometimes Greninja.

Shulk's side taunt is compulsory. If you aren't really feeling it, you aren't worthy to be a Monado Boy.

And with Robin, make sure your opponent's know that they aren't ready.

BeeKidd

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2294-5166-9137
i only taunt after a really satisfying KO or sometimes i'll taunt in the beginning of the match if the taunt is really short; for example, link's down taunt or ness' up taunt. taunts that are too long, like villager's, have really gotten me f*cked when the opponent recovers because they're just too time consuming.

Last edited:

Mizzy Moe

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3883-6486-6414
i only taunt when the other person taunts (start of the game or when they get a ko ill taunt then taunt every ko i get)
except in the case of eariler today i wanted to get a falcon punch so i played as falcon and got a game winning turn around falcon punch and i dont even play as falcon so i had to throw out a "show me your moves" XD

edit: oh or ill throw out down taunt if im luigi and thirsty for that spike XD

Last edited:

JustBeingZack

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zack66775
I usually only taunt at the end of a match or everytime that I face a captain falcon or sheik. Every falcon/sheik I face taunts constantly and is generally super annoying.

nubilepoopile

Smash Cadet
Only if my character has a really cute taunt.

This is actually a big factor in deciding who I play.

SusiMeansWolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5086-2011-9956
I sometimes taunt after I get KO'd in a cool way. Other than that, I only taunt if my opponent taunted first or if they really, REALLY get on my nerves. Although, I was once playing with a friend picking random characters, and I was a Falcon that time. My friend just stood at the ledge with his Pit ready to gimp me like he did 2 stocks in a row before that, so I ran to the other side of the stage and taunted "Come on!". I found it hilarious, and it worked too.

aidspup

Smash Apprentice
NNID
aidspup
3DS FC
0688-5524-0749
Like the topic title says, do you players ever use the taunt? I do, but not after I get a KO. I usually use it at the beginning of the match as a way to say Hi since I use Kirby. Or I use a taunt after I get Ko'd/destroyed. As a way to try to acknowledge that I'm impressed, or say that they deserved that they did good. Though I have no idea if I'm getting the message across.

Edit: crap, I forgot to space the topic title .-.
i use my taunt to get rid of copy abilities or if i do an amazing spike (its pretty hard to spike with kirby since his dair doesn't have good launch power) i will taunt

dsage

Smash Rookie
NNID
dragonitesage
I do Ike's side taunt when a match starts. PREPARE YOURSELF.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
Most of my taunts come after kills. Dark Pit's FThrow kill is so quick lol it's awesome, it deserves a taunt afterward.

If I play someone I don't know I usually reading after something awesome happens or to signify that I've completed lag check

Last edited:

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Most of my matches are with friends so I taunt when I want to show them the text I've written to accompany the taunt.

I don't taunt much when I'm in For Glory. It's a wasted effort.

Migster

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4417-4697
Online, I taunt at the very start of the match. If you hit me while taunting, EXPECT NO MERCY. If I accidentally hit them while they taunt, I leave myself open for a bit by either getting real close or by taunting again.
I never taunt after a KO unless they did before me. I don't want my opponent salty cuz' that's no fun.

Offline though, I always taunt and teabag because I know whoever I'm playing with will take it as a joke.

Last edited:

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
Captain Falcon? Request submitted to be shown moves, both at the start of the match and post-kill.
Everyone else is a friendly taunt at the start of the match, followed by a different one post kill, except for certain characters (Pac-Man would be Up Taunt at the start with a smug Down Taunt after a kill, while Lucas is a Down Taunt throughout because it just looks badass). Also, if I'm facing someone who's not hitting me or are keeping their distance, I'll usually taunt to bait them, though this has to be a quick taunt. When Ryu, always tell spammy players that "Talk is cheap." XD

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
I taunt when the match has started and when I get a kill.

Especially when I play Captain Falcon or Shulk. I want you to know that I'm really feeling it and that I want you to show me ya moves.

tk-337

Smash Rookie
As a Roy main (as well as Bowser, but irrelevant), I have the phrase, "Boku wa makenai!" burned into my head. I usually taunt when my enemies die, because why not? I only respect-taunt in the beginning when it's a ditto match, I like the character my opponent chose, or when the other player respect-taunts first. I believe that if anyone gets offended over a taunt in a video game, then that person deserves to be offended.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
I don't always taunt, but when I do I'm playing Greninja and am either planning on you running into my taunt hitbox or have already started a shadow sneak.

InfinityAlex

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4871-5777-3906
I don't always taunt, but when I do I'm playing Greninja and am either planning on you running into my taunt hitbox or have already started a shadow sneak.
The new meta: Find Greninja's longest taunt and use it to extend your shadow sneaking range.

TriforceOfAura

Smash Journeyman
All of my mains have legit taunts except for :4lucario:: Whenever I KO somoene as :4falco:, I always say "Piece of Cake!", and when the match starts, I say "Get Some", as :4dedede:, whenever I get a KO, I do my up-taunt, the victorious hammer twirl, which also looks cool in slow-mo after I win a match, and as :4zelda:, her whole down-taunt 'bye-bye!' thing is really just the icng on the cake. :4lucario: has no cool taunts, all his suck:sadeyes:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I taunt because "I'm really feeling it!" :4shulk:

...also, Lucas' trip is hilarious to use when someone obviously messed up something. :4lucas:

Dedede's crouch and down taunt "humpahumpahump!" are all I need for him :4dedede:

...and i never taunt with Wario, really. I dunno why. I rather spam d-tilt, going Wah wah wah wah wah.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
I barely ever taunt, even when i get cool combos.
Smash remains a fighter after all, there's no room for taunting in a real fight.
Also, i like the idea of a fair & clean fight, This kind of disrespect is just kind of immature to me.
Depending of the taunt of the character i'll use, i'll answer back to someone's taunt right at the beginning of the match.
My favorite being " Come ! " and " Fight me! " of Meta Knight because those are basically my thoughts.

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
I taunt for player respect, when I get a good kill, or just feel like trolling a bad player.

HeartGlaceon

Smash Rookie
I usually taunt at the start of the match or after I get a KO(I don't mean to be insulting though). Or whenever I just feel like messing around. If I do it when a match starts, I'm often trying to see if they'll taunt back. Can be seen as a sign of respect by some, and it's just fun to do.

I don't really care if you taunt or not though. I do get annoyed if I am hit while taunting, though... that's just rude.

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
last night i faced some guy who started out with a sonic who was owning me until i steadied myself and won. he kept spamming his taunt though, which just made me want to win even more. he pulls out his link and again is taunt happy, basically any time he can taunt he will. so i just unleashed on him and left the patience game behind because he sucked anyway, didn't give him room to scratch his ass, walloped him and felt good!!!

i hate when people taunt for no reason, like when the game is laggy and you SD, they taunt like they did something? you gotta do something before showing off! i like when you're having a competitive battle and someone takes a stock and taunts. that's basically a respectful way of doing it, like cheering when you have a victory, it's understandable. it's flashy but a taunt is flashy, and what is a good player without a touch of arrogance/confidence?

Top Bottom