• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use a controller slot other than the 1st one?

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Link to original post: [drupal=5034]Do you use a controller slot other than the 1st one?[/drupal]

I know there are some people who prefer to play with controller slot 3 or some other controller slot from controller 1, even when they arent playing vs. mode. Which slot do you use?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Slot 4 is the best choice when playing against Snake, and to a lesser extent Link and Toon Link. And to a negligible extent, Peach.

The reason is that if both characters are in a grab (eg Snake is grabbing Pikachu) and they get hit by an external force (eg Snake's grenade), they will both receive the damage but the one with the lower port (port closer to 1) will receive the knockback, and the other will stay on the ground.
So if Snake is port 1 and Pikachu is port 4, and Snake grabs Pikachu and then a grenade explodes and hits both of them, Snake gets sent in the air and Pikachu stays on the ground.

So the reason I also mentioned Link and Toon Link is because they have bombs, and Peach cause she has a very small chance of pulling a bob-omb when she uses downB. I think it's like a 1/200 chance, not sure.

In doubles, any character can provide an external force. eg MK is grabbing Diddy and MK's partner (Snake) comes and utilts both of them. If MK has the higher port he doesn't receive any knockback (I think), whereas Diddy does and he dies because lolsnakeutilt.

Other than external forces, ports don't matter much. The only thing I can think of that matters is that if both characters grab each other at the same time, the one with the lower port (closer to port 1) will grab the other.
eg if Falco is port 1 and Lucario is port 4 and they press the grab button on the same frame (cause with both of them, the grabbox comes out on frame 6) then Falco will end up grabbing Lucario.

TL;DR Port 4 is better when your opponent Snake TL or Link
Port 1 is better when your opponent is any other character

Cleod

Smash Cadet
Slot 1 during single player play, preferably slot 3 whenever I duke it out with someone.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I like slot 3 although, I dont use it to much because it usually starts me out in a spot I dont like lol.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
@infinite: Is that really true? The controller ports actually DO have something to do with competitive brawl??

Oh man, that is amazing and I should definitely try out and use slot 4.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Doesn't matter to me if there are other people playing, but when I'm solo, definitely must be slot 1. It's weird if it's not in slot 1 for me ._o

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Slot 1 whenever I'm alone, and whatever is available for multiplayer with friends. It is usually slot 3-4, since the GameCube controllers are plugged in slots 1-2 or 1-3, and I use Classic.

Also, slot #s affecting the game? That is the weirdest design choice I have ever heard. Everyone should be on equal grounds despite player slot.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Other than external forces, ports don't matter much. The only thing I can think of that matters is that if both characters grab each other at the same time, the one with the lower port (closer to port 1) will grab the other.
eg if Falco is port 1 and Lucario is port 4 and they press the grab button on the same frame (cause with both of them, the grabbox comes out on frame 6) then Falco will end up grabbing Lucario.

TL;DR Port 4 is better when your opponent Snake TL or Link
Port 1 is better when your opponent is any other character
Pretty sure someone debunked this and proved that grabs are random

Top Bottom