• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think ryu is going to be top tier

Do you think he will be?

• Total voters

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
I think you reasoning is off for some of these.

Have you seen his down angled weak tilt? It has crazy good range.

His shield breaker is also a fantastic.

Air options are incredible. Down air is a great spike, neutral will become an incredible combo extender, fair is also amazing, back air does more damage than ganon's

So you're saying that because there's a way to avoid something it's useless? Dude your main sucks cuz when they attack, I'll just roll awayyyyy
down angled weak tilt? The one where he sticks his foot straight out? If that's the angle you're looking for you're better off using strong down tilt.

His roundhouse has a deceptive range, it's fast, and it kills. It kills so well for the type of move it is I feel like Nintendo will nerf it.

His bair reminds me of Fox's Brawl bair: not that good.

And not having a two-sided down smash is a pretty big deal. Those top tiers who don't have it have other tools to make up for it. Ryu just doesn't have much to compensate for his flaws.

Edit: random, but Mac running right under Hadouken makes me pretty tight lmao

Last edited:

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
nah ryu is mid to low tier
his recovery is awful terribad
he has no kill set ups that don't rely on reads
he has no reliable early percent kill moves in general except bair
he gets nothing off of grabs
he has low range on his good combo starter moves
all of his specials are massively punishable
his main strength is the fact that he does ridiculous damage, in the hands of a good player he can succeed
but when compared to the good characters in smash 4 he's missing too much

Last edited:

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
he has no range
his main strength is the fact that he does ridiculous damage, in the hands of a good player he can succeed
But muh theory combos a-a-and "in the right hands"...

Last edited:

PChron

Smash Cadet
NNID
GuamPirate
he has low range on his good combo starter moves
Nothing off of grabs? Lol are you for real?

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
Nothing off of grabs? Lol are you for real?
You're absolutely right, mate....He gets a shoryu off of low percent down throw if the opponent doesn't DI at all. Great throw follow-ups am I right?

lmao Hilarious. D-throw>weak utilt until you decided to have mercy on him and hit the Shoryuken
Can you do this at high %?

Last edited:

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
You're absolutely right, mate....He gets a shoryu off of low percent down throw if the opponent doesn't DI at all. Great throw follow-ups am I right?

Can you do this at high %?
Don't forget dthrow to strong utilt!

With no DI at all.

At 0%.

Last edited:

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Praise be to the combo gods. :rolleyes:
Seems kind of ironic for the king of combos not to have reliable followups off of grabs. Almost as ironic as Shiek being Ganondorfs worst matchup.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
New to the chat. Basically, way too early to tell, but does he have potential? Imo, YES!
Pros :
  • Decent mobility
  • Decent recovery that's actually better than Mario for a balanced character of the genre
  • Amazing combo potential with cancellable moves along some potential with Focus Attack
  • Kill setups and ok throw setups at low-percents
  • Decent kill moves, and also
  • Amazing frame data.
Weaknesses :
  • Poor range
  • Recovery somewhat predictable?
  • Might fish for the kill?
  • Not so many reliable approach options
  • A Hadouken that could have been better for forcing opponents to approach.
That's all I can find about him. With all this information, I wouldn't say top-tier, but definitely right up there. I would put him in mid or high-tier. Has amazing potential, but the player must fully master the SF buttons imputs in order to use Ryu's moves at its fullest potential. I already heard about some insane setups that Ryu can do against certain characters (0 to death against fast-fallers - YES, I know it's not a true combo), but he's such a great character imo. Top 15 I would say for now, or in the first half of the good characters (top 26, because 52 characters in total with DLC).

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
My first impression of seeing a Ryu in battle came from playing one online since I don't actually have the DLC stuff unlocked. Now, maybe it's more of a matchup issue and the fact that I'm playing more of a mid- or low-tier in WFT, but I was having an awful time dealing with Ryu players, mostly coming from the armor in the focus attacks. I'd throw out something like an f-tilt and technically land, but Ryu would just super armor through it, hit me into a crumple, and have an easy KO opportunity.

Now perhaps that's not as impactful in tournament play, where the tactic could be comparable to down+B counter moves that are rarely used because of the risk. But given that Ryu can dash cancel out of it? That's a little crazy. And I think that sort of crazy gives Ryu a pathway to the top that not every character has.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
My first impression of seeing a Ryu in battle came from playing one online since I don't actually have the DLC stuff unlocked. Now, maybe it's more of a matchup issue and the fact that I'm playing more of a mid- or low-tier in WFT, but I was having an awful time dealing with Ryu players, mostly coming from the armor in the focus attacks. I'd throw out something like an f-tilt and technically land, but Ryu would just super armor through it, hit me into a crumple, and have an easy KO opportunity.

Now perhaps that's not as impactful in tournament play, where the tactic could be comparable to down+B counter moves that are rarely used because of the risk. But given that Ryu can dash cancel out of it? That's a little crazy. And I think that sort of crazy gives Ryu a pathway to the top that not every character has.
Grabs and Multihitting moves are a Focus Attack spamming Ryu's worst nightmare.

Skitrel

Smash Journeyman
Tatsu is probably more punishable than luigi's missile and goes through less range. There is a reason people say luigi has a bad recovery even though he goes a good distance, ryu covers even less distance and needs to commit to them at a higher height. I'd rather have a counter that launches me forward to scare people from just throwing out hitboxes than having a side b where I'm hoping they miss a free punish.
Maybe you should stop using side-B and use the SF inputs then?

SF input Tatsu is invincible. Anyone that tries to punish it is an idiot guaranteeing you a free hit. If Ryu Tatsu's to the ledge there is 100% nothing anyone in the game can do to stop it, it's guaranteed and any opponent trying to punish it is asking to be hit.

Don't Tatsu to the underside of the ledge like you would as other characters "sweetspotting", Tatsu to the middle of the ledge so that your hit would hit anyone trying to throw out dtily damage during the 1frame of vulnerability. This will 100% guarantee you a safe return to the ledge.

Now... Getting on the stage from the ledge... That's a little harder, particularly if they have multihit moves that can go through a jump into FA from the ledge.

Staying on-topic. Ryu looks more like he sits around position 10-15 to me. He has to play extremely defensively because his approach options are limited. He can't use his combo game aggressively because nair isn't safe on shield, nair is heavily telegraphed and it's easy to shield grab against an aggressive Ryu to punish them hard.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
The thing about Ryu is although he can rack up the damage he will have a hard time KOing. This is due to the fact His kill moves are: Fsmash, Shoryuken, Bair and Dair if it spikes. The other moves have low KB and KBG. This ties into his greatest weakness. The opponent will be able to watch for these kill moves and use rage to their advantage and KO Ryu. To compound this Ryu's horizontal recovery can be gimped by...well almost anything. Although his shoryuken has I-frames he gets abysmal horizontal reach.

His run and dash speeds also seem on the medium and low side. Now although these are his issues he does have the ability to confirm Weak utilt, Jab 1, and weak dtilt into shoryuken, which can KO mario at 85 or 105 depending on which shoryuken you use. So ryu's biggest weakness is that he can KO as early as 90 or as late as 160 unless you fish for Fsmashes and Shoryukens. These are my initial thoughts so please feel free to discuss them. On top of that we only have had ryu for 3 days lol so we don't know how better or worse he will get.

Oh yes another possible issue is that Ryu lacks any moves that cover behind him, probably designed like that because in SF you can't willingly attack behind you. This might make Ryu more susceptible to rolling opponents as he can only attack one side at a time. Although his Frame Data is pretty good this is still an issue Ryu players will need to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
There's a lot of misconception here some of which has been cleared out but:

Ryu does not have trouble killing nor does he lack setups, he has a 3 frame jab, 3 frame dtilt and a 4 frame utilt all of which combo into shoryuken which kills most characters at 70-90% with the true input (40-60% with rage mind you). Heavy jab is pretty much Ganondorf's ftilt except it's an anti-air move and has more range and comes out faster. Dsmash is frame 6 with 3 frame release and hits the ledge, usmash is frame 9 with 3 frame release and kills at 110-130%, and fsmash is basically Little Mac's fsmash in every regard just without the superarmor. Dair is a strong, 8 frame meteor for crying out loud that sends the opponent angled down-forward meaning you can use it on stage and still kill your opponent offstage plus you can combo into it from Shakunetsu Hadoken. Bair and uair are also faster and stronger than most of their kind in the game. Focus attack also sets up into anything and has very unique properties, its utility however we'll see as time goes on.

Ryu's recovery also isn't bad. It is definitely above average and in no way comparable to Luigi who suffers from terrible aerial speed whereas Ryu has one of the best ones in the game. You can get back to the stage from literally anywhere with just your mid-air jump, aerial momentum and SRK, especially since Ryu isn't a fastfaller. In addition focus attack can absorb hits and Tatsu + SRK have invincibility on startup and SRK range is about equal to Mario's up b, plus Ryu can stall in the air with Hadoken while covering himself with it. He also gets through a lot of things with his fair or trades and then uses Tatsu when the opponent can't punish it. His options for recovering are plentiful, don't consider it bad just because you Tatsu every time and get punished. There was even a Little Mac comparison ?????????

But yeah, Ryu's weakness is his lack of throw follow-ups and the lack of safety because of his hitlag despite great frame data and damage output, however as long as you space properly certainly no one is able to grab you out of your aerials or any other moves on shield. Buffered fairs and nairs are safe though and will hit just about any character even from a full hop while also creating follow-up opportunities.

Regardless, can't say yet whether he'll be top tier or not. Once people learn the inputs and hit confirms I'm calling him a clear high tier though. You absolutely cannot dismiss a 6 frame single hit special that kills characters as early as 50% and isn't as punishable as the likes of ZSS' or MK's up b, 6 and 8 frame aerials with good hitboxes that do 15% and 16% damage respectively, a killing long range jab or an 8 frame meteor with actual power behind it.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
There's a lot of misconception here some of which has been cleared out but:

Ryu does not have trouble killing nor does he lack setups, he has a 3 frame jab, 3 frame dtilt and a 4 frame utilt all of which combo into shoryuken which kills most characters at 70-90% with the true input (40-60% with rage mind you). Heavy jab is pretty much Ganondorf's ftilt except it's an anti-air move and has more range and comes out faster. Dsmash is frame 6 with 3 frame release and hits the ledge, usmash is frame 9 with 3 frame release and kills at 110-130%, and fsmash is basically Little Mac's fsmash in every regard just without the superarmor. Dair is a strong, 8 frame meteor for crying out loud that sends the opponent angled down-forward meaning you can use it on stage and still kill your opponent offstage plus you can combo into it from Shakunetsu Hadoken. Bair and uair are also faster and stronger than most of their kind in the game. Focus attack also sets up into anything and has very unique properties, its utility however we'll see as time goes on.

Ryu's recovery also isn't bad. It is definitely above average and in no way comparable to Luigi who suffers from terrible aerial speed whereas Ryu has one of the best ones in the game. You can get back to the stage from literally anywhere with just your mid-air jump, aerial momentum and SRK, especially since Ryu isn't a fastfaller. In addition focus attack can absorb hits and Tatsu + SRK have invincibility on startup and SRK range is about equal to Mario's up b, plus Ryu can stall in the air with Hadoken while covering himself with it. He also gets through a lot of things with his fair or trades and then uses Tatsu when the opponent can't punish it. His options for recovering are plentiful, don't consider it bad just because you Tatsu every time and get punished. There was even a Little Mac comparison ?????????

But yeah, Ryu's weakness is his lack of throw follow-ups and the lack of safety because of his hitlag despite great frame data and damage output, however as long as you space properly certainly no one is able to grab you out of your aerials or any other moves on shield. Buffered fairs and nairs are safe though and will hit just about any character even from a full hop while also creating follow-up opportunities.

Regardless, can't say yet whether he'll be top tier or not. Once people learn the inputs and hit confirms I'm calling him a clear high tier though. You absolutely cannot dismiss a 6 frame single hit special that kills characters as early as 50% and isn't as punishable as the likes of ZSS' or MK's up b, 6 and 8 frame aerials with good hitboxes that do 15% and 16% damage respectively, a killing long range jab or an 8 frame meteor with actual power behind it.
It doesn't matter how fast the move is if the range is bad. Granted the Frame data is good on these moves the opponent has to be essentially on top of Ryu. A smart player will avoid this. Meaning Ryu has to rely on Fsmash, Bair, and a offstage Dair. Fsmash is slow enough to react to, on top of being punishable on shield if mispaced. Next no one is saying he cannot rack damage, this is what we know to be true. Usmash does not kill that early unless you have some rage built up. Usually with good DI ive seen people live until 140, which is high for a smash attack. The Usmash also has somewhat poor range, made up due to the speed and how safe it is on shield.

Ryu's tatsu only goes horizontal meaning you can either spike him from above or risk trading, if he is at high enough percents he will most certainly die. He lacks any air friction, if that makes sense. That means he is commited to jumping in one direction. While it's not as bad as Luigi any good player will be able to stop him in some form.

Hadoken stalls would be good if there was less ending lag. Unless the opponent is punishing with a very laggy smash of thier own you will most likely get punished for doing that. Again a good player will punish this.

Focus attack requires getting at least the lvl 2 charge, which requires 31 frames of charge. The only way you'll land this is by reading a smash attack or getting lucky.

Ryu does have follow up throws at low percents. Dthrow > Fair is a decent one that can do 25 damage. Although it becomes harder/impossible to do at later percents. His grab throws do enough damage by themselves and he can pummel on top of that. He lacks a kill throw.

His special is incredibly punishable if you flub up the inputs. No fast fall, you cannot change air movement. It doesn't matter if the move has less landing lag if the move is done with inputs you will get punished, likely by a charged smash attack.

You are right with the meteor however as it is unique and required the opponent to have a recovery that has both good horizontal and vertical recovery. It's also not bad as a gimping move if you do miss.

After testing him in both training and in actual matches Ryu has the largest gap in KO percents. He can KO mario as early as 85 or as late as ~135, where his other moves become kill moves.

Last edited:

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
Solid mid tier. He hits like a truck but the counterplay to him is pretty easy to do. Hadouken doesn't force people to approach really and when it does it's not exactly oppressive enough to force anyone to do anything stupid. He doesn't have any grab combos, kill grabs, or good moves to pressure shields. If you can't make someone think twice about blocking in this game you can't be top tier imo.

I do think he might be viable though. He has some pretty interesting tools and it's only been like 3 days so there is time to find some tech for him that might make me change my mind.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
I'll go with High Tier after spending a few days with him, but not Top tier. He has a bit more of a higher risk involved in his offensive play compared to other characters that reside there. Other than that I think he is a very solid character.

Solid mid tier. He hits like a truck but the counterplay to him is pretty easy to do. Hadouken doesn't force people to approach really and when it does it's not exactly oppressive enough to force anyone to do anything stupid. He doesn't have any grab combos, kill grabs, or good moves to pressure shields. If you can't make someone think twice about blocking in this game you can't be top tier imo.

I do think he might be viable though. He has some pretty interesting tools and it's only been like 3 days so there is time to find some tech for him that might make me change my mind.
On the subject of Shield pressure, doesn't he have side-tilt heavy that almost breaks shields in one attack? Also, I believe his Down throw kills as well.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
I'll go with High Tier after spending a few days with him, but not Top tier. He has a bit more of a higher risk involved in his offensive play compared to other characters that reside there. Other than that I think he is a very solid character.

On the subject of Shield pressure, doesn't he have side-tilt heavy that almost breaks shields in one attack? Also, I believe his Down throw kills as well.
It seems after the initial hit, the weaker one, players can roll or spot doge away. Also his only "Kill" throw is his UThrow or Bthrow if you are close enough to the side blast zones.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
It doesn't matter how fast the move is if the range is bad. Granted the Frame data is good on these moves the opponent has to be essentially on top of Ryu. A smart player will avoid this. Meaning Ryu has to rely on Fsmash, Bair, and a offstage Dair. Fsmash is slow enough to react to, on top of being punishable on shield if mispaced. Next no one is saying he cannot rack damage, this is what we know to be true. Usmash does not kill that early unless you have some rage built up. Usually with good DI ive seen people live until 140, which is high for a smash attack. The Usmash also has somewhat poor range, made up due to the speed and how safe it is on shield.
I do speak from the perspective of a Falcon main. He has a jab with similar range and the same startup as Ryu, and if I had a kill move I was able to link my jab into every time I connected with one, I doubt I would've lost 90% of the matches I have. Of course Ryu won't have as easy of a time getting jabs in because he's not as speedy in general, but range doesn't matter; you still have a frame 3 kill confirm in boxing scenarios.

After testing him in both training and in actual matches Ryu has the largest gap in KO percents. He can KO mario as early as 85 or as late as ~135, where his other moves become kill moves.
This is a good thing though, in many matchups Falcon for instance has an easier time killing at 50-80% than at 100%+ because of certain setups that work at the former range. Ryu has a lot of quick non-committing kill moves for many scenarios at around 120-140% which is where competitive fights usually end up stretching. On top of that he has options to kill far below 100% with SRK, dair and fsmash.

Also what comes to his throws, dthrow kills earlier than uthrow especially if you're close to the ledge facing towards it. It's hardly a kill throw though.

Last edited:

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
I do speak from the perspective of a Falcon main. He has a jab with similar range and the same startup as Ryu, and if I had a kill move I was able to link my jab into every time I connected with one, I doubt I would've lost 90% of the matches I have. Of course Ryu won't have as easy of a time getting jabs in because he's not as speedy in general, but range doesn't matter; you still have a frame 3 kill confirm in boxing scenarios.

This is a good thing though, in many matchups Falcon for instance has an easier time killing at 50-80% than at 100%+ because of certain setups that work at the former range. Ryu has a lot of quick non-committing kill moves for many scenarios at around 120-140% which is where competitive fights usually end up stretching. On top of that he has options to kill far below 100% with SRK, dair and fsmash.

Also what comes to his throws, dthrow kills earlier than uthrow especially if you're close to the ledge facing towards it. It's hardly a kill throw though.

are the jabs the same range though? I can easily hit with falcon's jab compared to ryu's. Seems way safer in the neutral thanks to its range, speed, and infinite jab 1.

If it is the same range then please don't hesitate to correct me.

Last edited:

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
It's indeed the same, Falcon's jab range looks deceptively long but it actually is among the shortest jabs in the game, only beating Olimar, Jigglypuff, Greninja and ROB. Perhaps 1-2 more characters but I forgot who, been a while since I tested.

Last edited:

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you should stop using side-B and use the SF inputs then?

SF input Tatsu is invincible. Anyone that tries to punish it is an idiot guaranteeing you a free hit. If Ryu Tatsu's to the ledge there is 100% nothing anyone in the game can do to stop it, it's guaranteed and any opponent trying to punish it is asking to be hit.

Don't Tatsu to the underside of the ledge like you would as other characters "sweetspotting", Tatsu to the middle of the ledge so that your hit would hit anyone trying to throw out dtily damage during the 1frame of vulnerability. This will 100% guarantee you a safe return to the ledge.

Now... Getting on the stage from the ledge... That's a little harder, particularly if they have multihit moves that can go through a jump into FA from the ledge.

Staying on-topic. Ryu looks more like he sits around position 10-15 to me. He has to play extremely defensively because his approach options are limited. He can't use his combo game aggressively because nair isn't safe on shield, nair is heavily telegraphed and it's easy to shield grab against an aggressive Ryu to punish them hard.
Tatsu is not invincible anywhere during the move what are you talking about?
I can't tell if you're talking about shoryuken or being serious about tatsu.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Tatsu is not invincible anywhere during the move what are you talking about?
I can't tell if you're talking about shoryuken or being serious about tatsu.
I think i know what he's referring to. As Ive been playing with Ryu if i time my tatsu right it will look like me and my opponent clashed. But all that happens is that I get a blue spark, similar to hittings G&W's helmet during Usmash as well as Bowsers shell during Usmash. However the move will continue and I will hit them. Those moves I mentioned seem to have a guard effect, not armor as they take no damage. That is what he might be talking about. I can't test right now but I will tomorrow

Last edited:

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
I mean even if it did clash with moves, the lower and upper part of his body is still pretty open on top of there being a decent amount of end lag. I still think luigi's missile is a perfect comparison of it.
Personally I have been testing most of the things against mega man, it just doesn't seem like a good MU for ryu
Jab goes through fireballs, can multi jab to go through focus attack, Back air is a multi hit so it goes through focus attack.
I feel like if Shakanatsu ate projectiles or something the MU would be more fun than it is.

I still feel like the extra hitlag on shield is an error on the dev teams part. Why would you leave a character in more in more hitlag than the blocker so that they can act before you're out of hitlag? Like, Nair has 8 frames of hitlag on the blocker and 14 on ryu so they get to act 6 frames sooner than you and you still have yet to land and suffer landing lag, it doesn't make any sense. All of his moves-bar hadoken leave him in(about) double the hitlag against the blocker while every other character is 1 to 1 in hitlag against the blocker. Just seems busted to me. If this does happen to change he could probably be a decent character but as of now getting punished on all shield pokes isn't fun.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
I mean even if it did clash with moves, the lower and upper part of his body is still pretty open on top of there being a decent amount of end lag. I still think luigi's missile is a perfect comparison of it.
Personally I have been testing most of the things against mega man, it just doesn't seem like a good MU for ryu
Jab goes through fireballs, can multi jab to go through focus attack, Back air is a multi hit so it goes through focus attack.
I feel like if Shakanatsu ate projectiles or something the MU would be more fun than it is.

I still feel like the extra hitlag on shield is an error on the dev teams part. Why would you leave a character in more in more hitlag than the blocker so that they can act before you're out of hitlag? Like, Nair has 8 frames of hitlag on the blocker and 14 on ryu so they get to act 6 frames sooner than you and you still have yet to land and suffer landing lag, it doesn't make any sense. All of his moves-bar hadoken leave him in(about) double the hitlag against the blocker while every other character is 1 to 1 in hitlag against the blocker. Just seems busted to me. If this does happen to change he could probably be a decent character but as of now getting punished on all shield pokes isn't fun.
I was just talking about the potential guard effect on Ryu's tatsu. Nothing about a MM MU

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The **** people are saying Ryu's recovery is bad?

What the ****?

Ryu's recovery is easily one of the best in the game, honestly. Good horizontal distance thanks to high innate mobility and Tatsu, can armor single hits with Focus Attack, and TSRK goes pretty far vertically and has a ton of invincibility so basically it's like G&W's Up-B and can't be screwed with offstage. Even the regular SRK though is a seriously good recovery move, like a better Marth Dolphin Slash in terms of distance and hitbox.

Nobody should ever get gimped as Ryu except if you get like Ganon F-tilted.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Mfw people downplay Ryu based on FG scrubs that have no gameplan and don't use one true SRK.

How long will this last, hopefully a week.

Im worried how Ryu players can't do basic SF inputs, im worried how apparently we struggle to kill ect.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Im worried how Ryu players can't do basic SF inputs, im worried how apparently we struggle to kill ect.
It is actually sorta tricky from a technical standpoint to set up Ryu's KO moves. I mean, his KO moves are GOOD (especially TSRK). Just because of how weird Ryu's air mobility is, it takes a level of finesse to position all his stuff. Ryu also doesn't really get free KOs from grabs, so you more or less have to rely on traps to get safe KOs.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace
One of the best is a pretty huge overstatement. The fact that he can't just easily flow chart to the ledge and that his mixups can just about all be punished on reaction without too much thought isn't that good. He's probably upper half of the cast when it comes to recovery but that's it.

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
The thing about Ryu is although he can rack up the damage he will have a hard time KOing. This is due to the fact His kill moves are: Fsmash, Shoryuken, Bair and Dair if it spikes. The other moves have low KB and KBG. This ties into his greatest weakness. The opponent will be able to watch for these kill moves and use rage to their advantage and KO Ryu. To compound this Ryu's horizontal recovery can be gimped by...well almost anything. Although his shoryuken has I-frames he gets abysmal horizontal reach.

His run and dash speeds also seem on the medium and low side. Now although these are his issues he does have the ability to confirm Weak utilt, Jab 1, and weak dtilt into shoryuken, which can KO mario at 85 or 105 depending on which shoryuken you use. So ryu's biggest weakness is that he can KO as early as 90 or as late as 160 unless you fish for Fsmashes and Shoryukens. These are my initial thoughts so please feel free to discuss them. On top of that we only have had ryu for 3 days lol so we don't know how better or worse he will get.

Oh yes another possible issue is that Ryu lacks any moves that cover behind him, probably designed like that because in SF you can't willingly attack behind you. This might make Ryu more susceptible to rolling opponents as he can only attack one side at a time. Although his Frame Data is pretty good this is still an issue Ryu players will need to consider.
You forgot Strong neutral A and Upsmash as kill-moves. Downthrow kills, too, but only around 150%, and Upthrow can also kill but even later. The thing is, not only Shoryuken, but , Upsmash and Strong neutral A can be true-combo'd into if you hit a weak up or down tilt, or even 1-2 jab-hits at kill % (and those can be true-combo'd into if you hit the weak hit of d-air when they are grounded). Depending on %, strong down tilt also combos into those aswell. So as long as you can reliably hit his weak tilts, you will be able to kill pretty early. I think the low range on his combo-starters is much more of a problem.

And depending on your opponent, Focus Attack can be your best friend to finish the game off. Don't use it until you got them in kill % and then use it to punish a smash-attack or dash-attack attempt when they already forget you even have Focus Attack... And then you SF-Shoryuken them into oblivion (or F-Smash, Strong neutral A). I've seen a lot of people spamming FA, which just leads to the opponent constantly watching out for it. I'd personally only use it if I otherwise would get hit by something like a 'Dorf Warlock Punch, or if I'm fishing for the kill. Just so that the opponent thinks he has my pattern down and I'm never going to use that one X)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Seems kind of ironic for the king of combos not to have reliable followups off of grabs. Almost as ironic as Shiek being Ganondorfs worst matchup.
Well throws almost never combo into anything in Street Fighter so...

They're mainly used for positioning, which is what Ryu's throws do in Smash, or just do a
sh** ton of damage on their own (command throws from grapplers like Zangief).

Last edited:

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice
You forgot Strong neutral A and Upsmash as kill-moves. Downthrow kills, too, but only around 150%, and Upthrow can also kill but even later.
Depending on the opponent weight class, Tatsu can also kill at certain percentages and is easy once your opponent gets too offensive or defensive. Using the true version gives you the i-frames so whenever you see them charging without second thought or rolling everywhere just throw it out.

Top Bottom