• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think ryu is going to be top tier

Do you think he will be?

• Total voters

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Hmm,I think Hadouken is one of the better ball sized projectiles in the games.You don't even need to charge it,it can stall your fall the air,you can control it's speed and you can combo into it!

Also,does any know know the input of executing light shoryukens?

Last edited:

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
Also,does any know know the input of executing light shoryukens?
You just tap B instead of holding it. Always do the input version. The up B version should be only for recovery tbh and even then it would still be a good idea to do the input in case someone's trying to gimp you. Does the air version have invincibility? I know for sure it's weaker.

One cool thing about Ryu is the fact that somehow his perfect shield sound makes punishing things on perfect shield so much easier. I'll go for an input heavy shoryuken almost every time I hear it unless I block a jab or something. Like I said before I just wish you could do a true OoS input shoryu. I have to drop my shield to do it so I have less frames to punish.

Mfw people downplay Ryu based on FG scrubs that have no gameplan and don't use one true SRK.

How long will this last, hopefully a week.

Im worried how Ryu players can't do basic SF inputs, im worried how apparently we struggle to kill ect.
Gameplan = get in and hope the opponent doesn't know they can conquer Ryu by out-spacing and defensive playing. Zoning is not an option. I will happily just sit there and practice my perfect shielding if Ryu's just going to throw fireballs. Ryu will have to be the one to be the one to take initiative vs most of the top tiers. And that's when the problem of Ryu not being a safe character (compared to those at the top) comes into play.

No one's saying Ryu doesn't have kill moves. The fact of the matter is his range is trash and he relies too much on reads. I'll take back what I originally said about his recovery. I still have a pretty strong feeling that it will get exposed soon, though. I need to catch up with this game and watch some streams, hopefully people will be playing him in tournament.

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Ah,i see.thanks.

I heard the heavy shoryuken only has invincible frames if you do the original street fighter inputs,which is a nice trade off since the inputs are technical.

Good advice on both parts!

WwwWario

Smash Ace
Yes. I know it's early, but I feel Ryu has so many pros, and very little cons.

He is powerful (his back air does 16 damage...!)

He has very little ending lag on his areals

Because of the weak and strong versions of his tilts, he has a great combo potential and has great set-ups and follow-ups

He has a decent projectile

His recovery is decent (I've seen people saying it's as bad as Mac's, but heck no. His Up B has decent vertical recovery, and though it lacks horizontal recovery, he still has his Side B)

All in all, he is powerful, great combo potential, not-too-bad recovery, a decent projectile, little landing lag on areals - I personally see little flaws with him.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Yes. I know it's early, but I feel Ryu has so many pros, and very little cons.

He is powerful (his back air does 16 damage...!)

He has very little ending lag on his areals

Because of the weak and strong versions of his tilts, he has a great combo potential and has great set-ups and follow-ups

He has a decent projectile

His recovery is decent (I've seen people saying it's as bad as Mac's, but heck no. His Up B has decent vertical recovery, and though it lacks horizontal recovery, he still has his Side B)

All in all, he is powerful, great combo potential, not-too-bad recovery, a decent projectile, little landing lag on areals - I personally see little flaws with him.
Hmm,talking about recovery. Ryu has four ways to mix it up.

1) his neutral b can stall him
2) you can control the distance of his side b
3) his up b has invincable frames if you do the sf inputs
4) your allowed to dash out a focus attack in the air

Granted,all of these are obviously easy to punish but still....

Last edited:

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
Also red fireball is slightly too inconsistent for my liking.

Opponents have blocked the other 2 hits after getting hit by the first one. If this were not the case there would be no real reason to use normal hadouken.

I'd like red fireball to be slightly slower on startup or more recovery AND IN RETURN give it more durability. This is how it is in SF4 but it can be swatted away in the same exact way as regular hadouken. So annoying.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
You just tap B instead of holding it. Always do the input version. The up B version should be only for recovery tbh and even then it would still be a good idea to do the input in case someone's trying to gimp you. Does the air version have invincibility? I know for sure it's weaker.

One cool thing about Ryu is the fact that somehow his perfect shield sound makes punishing things on perfect shield so much easier. I'll go for an input heavy shoryuken almost every time I hear it unless I block a jab or something. Like I said before I just wish you could do a true OoS input shoryu. I have to drop my shield to do it so I have less frames to punish.

Gameplan = get in and hope the opponent doesn't know they can conquer Ryu by out-spacing and defensive playing. Zoning is not an option. I will happily just sit there and practice my perfect shielding if Ryu's just going to throw fireballs. Ryu will have to be the one to be the one to take initiative vs most of the top tiers. And that's when the problem of Ryu not being a safe character (compared to those at the top) comes into play.

No one's saying Ryu doesn't have kill moves. The fact of the matter is his range is trash and he relies too much on reads. I'll take back what I originally said about his recovery. I still have a pretty strong feeling that it will get exposed soon, though. I need to catch up with this game and watch some streams, hopefully people will be playing him in tournament.
Your summary of Ryu's gameplan is exactly why I dont take anything posted here seriously, his range is better than alot of characters actually.

When you got kill setups you don't rely on reads, Mario for example relies on u smash reads, Ryu literally needs a jab to kill you. As I said yall basing your down playing posts off FG Ryu's, smash community are quick when it comes to judging characters let them grow. Same goes for lucas and roy.

There's not even a high level ryu player yet, this is all theorycraft to the highest degree.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Your summary of Ryu's gameplan is exactly why I dont take anything posted here seriously, his range is better than alot of characters actually.

When you got kill setups you don't rely on reads, Mario for example relies on u smash reads, Ryu literally needs a jab to kill you. As I said yall basing your down playing posts off FG Ryu's, smash community are quick when it comes to judging characters let them grow. Same goes for lucas and roy.

There's not even a high level ryu player yet, this is all theorycraft to the highest degree.
What do you think is a good gameplan for Ryu? His range doesn't seem that great to me except for a few moves but his combo starters have slightly more or less range than Falcons jab which is already really short and all of his aerials make him freeze when hitting shields.

Last edited:

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
Uhhhh...? Not even close? Multihit moves or a grab is gonna deal with it no problem.
You can charge up your focus and dash out of it when you're close to the ground. It's virtually lagless. One of the best landing options in the game.

CelestialMarauder~

Smash Ace

Completely serious question. When you get a jab how are you killing afterwards? Because when I can jab to Shoryu, but after like 0% it's pretty much impossible to land the sweetspot off a jab. Maybe im doing it wrong

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I see Ryus having the hardest time against Rosalumas, just because getting in is going to be the hardest part for Ryu.

But once Ryu gets in, he REALLY gets in, and he gets in with some REAL kill potential.

The real question will be whether or not players can master getting Ryu in or not, but he thankfully DOES have tools to make that happen.

FADC is an AWESOME mix up: "So, I'm going to stop in the air, and then I'm either going to suddenly jump left or right, or I might even hit you with the FA if I think that'll work, but if I don't, I'm going to be able to immediately act out of the cancelled dash."

The one thing that most high tiers have in common is that they have plenty of options when it comes to mixing up their approaches (the exception being Rosaluma, who has the best spacing tool in the game, bar none).

Once Ryu gets in, he CAN do something quickly, and with FADC, you can condition your opponent to expect you to land on them to bait out a grab whiff and get a dash attack in immediately after.

Really, Ryu's not obviously god tier or anything of the sort right out of the gate (nor should he be), but I think he has a LOT of room to grow into and I'm certainly not going to call him terrible until we've seen the meta around him develop.

A Ryu player with good spacing, good spot dodging and good use of FADC (especially in the air) is going to be a friggin' NIGHTMARE to play against. I promise you that.

Ryu is going to be like LM in the sense that the hardest part will be prying him off the stage to edgeguard him, and his recovery isn't a guaranteed gimp like LM's is, either.

Completely serious question. When you get a jab how are you killing afterwards? Because when I can jab to Shoryu, but after like 0% it's pretty much impossible to land the sweetspot off a jab. Maybe im doing it wrong
From what I understand, its the weak dtilt that combos most readily into shoryu (and it has like nothing for knockback).

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
What do you think is a good gameplan for Ryu? His range doesn't seem that great to me except for a few moves but his combo starters have slightly more or less range than Falcons jab which is already really short and all of his aerials make him freeze when hitting shields.
As of now playing footsie's is good but i clearly said on my last sentence: there's no high levelplayer.

The gameplan he written up is the run off the mill FG Ryu who don't excel at what Ryu's really good at.

"Ryu has poor range" yet you only name a few moves, why do i bother.
Just press up b(and hold b for medium SRK) after the jab, its not hard at all.

Last edited:

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
As of now playing footsie's is good but i clearly said on my last sentence: there's no high levelplayer.

The gameplan he written up is the run off the mill FG Ryu who don't excel at what Ryu's really good at.

Instead of being incredibly salty, you could tell me the moves he has with the great range that you speak of. We're just discussing. You don't need to act like such a baby. Also, I didn't say all of his moves had poor range but his combo starters did.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Instead of being incredibly salty, you could tell me the moves he has with the great range that you speak of.
Dtilt has decent range and combos into things while keeping Ryu's profile low. Fsmash comes out quickly, causes Ryu to recoil on startup (ala Falcondorf) to avoid hits and then retaliate and its range is excellent (also, his foot is the sweetspot, at the maximum range of the move).

Frankly, I don't think Ryu should BE character with amazing range overall. Then, he WOULD be overpowered.

Everyone says hadouken is terrible, but it's a zoning tool, plain and simple, and a very good one. Any projectile that you can fire, forget and CHASE is not a bad projectile (see Villager with lloyd or Luigi with fireballs).

Again, Ryu's not the kind of character that we're going to see the true potential of right out of the gate (or for months, even). Back in Brawl, it was said of Snake that "He might be top tier" because he had so many tools that required a LOT of labbing to get the most out of.

Ryu is the exact same way, except that he's a Street Fighter character and has to be played like one.

And how do you play a SF character? You zone, you punish, but most importantly, you mix it up! You absolutely NEED to keep your opponent guessing, and Ryu definitely has the tools to do that. His rewards for getting in are massive, but learning how to get in is going to take time, even for experienced players.

But once they DO, I expect to see some VERY dangerous Ryu's out there...

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Instead of being incredibly salty, you could tell me the moves he has with the great range that you speak of. We're just discussing. You don't need to act like such a baby.
Hard Uptilt and Hard jab have pretty good range
Hard Uptilt having a deceptive disjoint.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Dtilt has decent range and combos into things while keeping Ryu's profile low. Fsmash comes out quickly, causes Ryu to recoil on startup (ala Falcondorf) to avoid hits and then retaliate and its range is excellent (also, his foot is the sweetspot, at the maximum range of the move).

Frankly, I don't think Ryu should BE character with amazing range overall. Then, he WOULD be overpowered.

Everyone says hadouken is terrible, but it's a zoning tool, plain and simple, and a very good one. Any projectile that you can fire, forget and CHASE is not a bad projectile (see Villager with lloyd or Luigi with fireballs).

Again, Ryu's not the kind of character that we're going to see the true potential of right out of the gate (or for months, even). Back in Brawl, it was said of Snake that "He might be top tier" because he had so many tools that required a LOT of labbing to get the most out of.

Ryu is the exact same way, except that he's a Street Fighter character and has to be played like one.

And how do you play a SF character? You zone, you punish, but most importantly, you mix it up! You absolutely NEED to keep your opponent guessing, and Ryu definitely has the tools to do that. His rewards for getting in are massive, but learning how to get in is going to take time, even for experienced players.

But once they DO, I expect to see some VERY dangerous Ryu's out there...
Very nice and detailed post. I feel that Ryu will be a decent character personally unless they fix his problem with his aerials hitting shields, then I'm certain he'll be high tier(well, maybe...).

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Very nice and detailed post. I feel that Ryu will be a decent character personally unless they fix his problem with his aerials hitting shields, then I'm certain he'll be high tier(well, maybe...).
I mean, we'll still have to see, but I expect to see some pretty amazing breakaway Ryu players.

I just feel like his key punishes are just too quick and too powerful to not see someone who's able to do amazing things with Ryu. He basically has Luigi's flaming uppercut, only without the massive punish window afterwards, and he has a means to combo into it.

If he had better tools for getting in, he'd be disgustingly OP, but even his current tools aren't bad: hadou to poke, FADC to mix up and god forbid he actually lands a FA because that basically ends the stock.

Last edited:

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze

You are making a lot of assumptions. As evident here most people here seem to have studied ryu and obviously aren't just basing ryu off of "for glory tactics". Thats not to say everyone knows how to play ryu at his best (since its too early for that), but you can't just throw out stuff if you can't back it up. His range on his kill set-ups aren't that great. I want you to try to jab someone in the neutral for your last kill next time you use him. On a good opponent too. Its not impossible, but it requires a pretty solid read or just great spacing with its minimal range imo.

As already mentioned his strong jab, weak f-tilt, d-tilts, and hard up-tilt are probably his best ranged moves, but you can't even cancel into DP with majority of these. On top of that you need to get the sweet spot on DP in order for it to be effective.

Last edited:

Sunstar

Smash Apprentice
@ GirugaMarc GirugaMarc :
In SF4 normal Hadouken is active on 13th frame, while EX-Hadouken (=Shakanetsu Hadouken) is active on 11th frame.
But other than that I agree with your thoughs of improving the EX-Hadouken.

I really don't know how good Ryu is.
He has pros and cons.
His greatest con is imo, that he cant fastfall and than forward or back-air, because of his SF-Commands.

His recovery isnt really good, but it can be made very unpredictable, what can make it good.

But he has so many pros:
He can meteor you from onstage, he deals so much damage. His light attacks are safe an fast. His Shoryuken beats every other move in the game. He has good followups from a grab. Really nice range on his forward Smash. He can cancel is down-B if the opponent reads him right. He has n additional way to dash.

The only real problem is his range. But because of his Focus Attack and its canclebility it shouldn't matter that much.

I think he is really good, but it is difficult to use him. Much more difficult than any other Character in the game.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think he is really good, but it is difficult to use him. Much more difficult than any other Character in the game.
And ultimately, that's not going to stop people.

Shiek is relatively difficult to use to her full potential, and Snake took a long time for people to truly master but once they did, he was amazing in the right hands.

I think things will definitely happen with Ryu...

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Instead of being incredibly salty, you could tell me the moves he has with the great range that you speak of. We're just discussing. You don't need to act like such a baby. Also, I didn't say all of his moves had poor range but his combo starters did.
You play the character and you own the game, i don't need to spoon feed you basic visual info on Ryu's moveset. Its ironic that you think im acting like a baby when you're sitting there expecting basic info to be spoon fed. Don't get it twisted.

His light dtilt has slightly better range than Falcons jab, his heavy utilt has better range and covers sh approaches. Heck i could include his FA but im guessing you're not including specials. Despite his 'poor' range his combo startes come out at frame 3 and 4.

@ Sunstar Sunstar Ryu is only difficult if you never played SF tbh, or you approach him with the wrong mindset but that goes for other characters too.

カワシさん

He seems to have lots of potential but unfortunately from what I've seen a lot of people don't know how to fully utilize Ryu. Most that I've seen online have no idea what they're doing. I'm sure that Ryu has a lot of potential if mastered and used correctly.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
You forgot Strong neutral A and Upsmash as kill-moves. Downthrow kills, too, but only around 150%, and Upthrow can also kill but even later. The thing is, not only Shoryuken, but , Upsmash and Strong neutral A can be true-combo'd into if you hit a weak up or down tilt, or even 1-2 jab-hits at kill % (and those can be true-combo'd into if you hit the weak hit of d-air when they are grounded). Depending on %, strong down tilt also combos into those aswell. So as long as you can reliably hit his weak tilts, you will be able to kill pretty early. I think the low range on his combo-starters is much more of a problem.

And depending on your opponent, Focus Attack can be your best friend to finish the game off. Don't use it until you got them in kill % and then use it to punish a smash-attack or dash-attack attempt when they already forget you even have Focus Attack... And then you SF-Shoryuken them into oblivion (or F-Smash, Strong neutral A). I've seen a lot of people spamming FA, which just leads to the opponent constantly watching out for it. I'd personally only use it if I otherwise would get hit by something like a 'Dorf Warlock Punch, or if I'm fishing for the kill. Just so that the opponent thinks he has my pattern down and I'm never going to use that one X)
yeah someone on another thread reminded me the Utility of Strong Neutral. Although this will only work near the ledges at around 110, it kills mario at 120 near the ledge of FD with no rage or Freshness, it still would work as a good safe kill option, at the very least we get 10 damage plus them offstage.

Dthrow vs Uthrow depends on where you are on the stage. That being said Opponents do not have to fear our grab until stupidly high percents. This will make it harder to get them out of their shields.

Focus attack will only work if you land level 2 or 3, level 2 requires a minimum of 31 frames. What could work is jump in FA as it slows or descent and we might be able to punish a grab/smash attack. Other than that its gonan be about reading the opponent. on a side note as long as we are careful with FA we can use it to rack damage and get insane rage, esentially like getting Ultra meter. If we are smart about what we FA Ryu could survive until 200+ depending on the character. Although Id only do this if I had the stock lead or if you really know what you are doing.

He seems to have lots of potential but unfortunately from what I've seen a lot of people don't know how to fully utilize Ryu. Most that I've seen online have no idea what they're doing. I'm sure that Ryu has a lot of potential if mastered and used correctly.
It's been 4 Days. People thought Bowser and Lil mac were OP in the beginning because we didn't know how to deal with them. Give everyone some time Ryu is the most unique character in smash.

Seems kind of ironic for the king of combos not to have reliable followups off of grabs. Almost as ironic as Shiek being Ganondorfs worst matchup.
The way he is designed looks like a homage to DF throws where you could have setups, like cross up,vortex, etc. That being said his throws all do respectable damage, add in pummeling for more. Although it would be nice to have some guaranteed set ups after throw

Even though at higher level play the opponent will watch out for comboable attacks. Watch any high level match when the opponent is within kill percent they will try to put themselves in as a little danger as possible. This includes out ranging the opponent. on top of that other characters have larger jabs, tilts, smashes, etc. They can siply start tilting to bypass Ryu's short jab,tilt combo starters. If anything if you said a sourspotted Nair > shoryuken than maybe as it has a good sized hitbox and enough active frames to be a threat. If Ryu was as fast as Captain falcon than getting th jabs would be easier...but he's not.

Last edited by a moderator:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
yeah someone on another thread reminded me the Utility of Strong Neutral. Although this will only work near the ledges at around 110, it kills mario at 120 near the ledge of FD with no rage or Freshness, it still would work as a good safe kill option, at the very least we get 10 damage plus them offstage.

Dthrow vs Uthrow depends on where you are on the stage. That being said Opponents do not have to fear our grab until stupidly high percents. This will make it harder to get them out of their shields.

Focus attack will only work if you land level 2 or 3, level 2 requires a minimum of 31 frames. What could work is jump in FA as it slows or descent and we might be able to punish a grab/smash attack. Other than that its gonan be about reading the opponent. on a side note as long as we are careful with FA we can use it to rack damage and get insane rage, esentially like getting Ultra meter. If we are smart about what we FA Ryu could survive until 200+ depending on the character. Although Id only do this if I had the stock lead or if you really know what you are doing.
There is a reason why i mentioned using FA and them using eg. forward smash or dash attack together. Because if you "tank" their FS, you definitly will be able to hit a level 2 or three (if they have a single-hit FS, that is) FA. Of course, if you get FS'd by eg. a Link or Pit, you propably will either get KB'd or have to release the FA before stage 2 depending on timing. Which is why i said "depending on the opponent".

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
There is a reason why i mentioned using FA and them using eg. forward smash or dash attack together. Because if you "tank" their FS, you definitly will be able to hit a level 2 or three (if they have a single-hit FS, that is) FA. Of course, if you get FS'd by eg. a Link or Pit, you propably will either get KB'd or have to release the FA before stage 2 depending on timing. Which is why i said "depending on the opponent".
still a risk if you want to do that and eat the damage then ok. No smart player uses dash attack unless they know it's a safe attack or if they are going for a quick punish. If you are reading a smash attack fine although that is easier said than done.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
You play the character and you own the game, i don't need to spoon feed you basic visual info on Ryu's moveset. Its ironic that you think im acting like a baby when you're sitting there expecting basic info to be spoon fed. Don't get it twisted.

His light dtilt has slightly better range than Falcons jab, his heavy utilt has better range and covers sh approaches. Heck i could include his FA but im guessing you're not including specials. Despite his 'poor' range his combo startes come out at frame 3 and 4.

@ Sunstar Sunstar Ryu is only difficult if you never played SF tbh, or you approach him with the wrong mindset but that goes for other characters too.
You are being a baby. You're getting all salty and assuming we're just basing our knowledge off of for glory Ryu's and basically acting like we're all idiots. I'm not asking to be spoon fed. I'm wanting you to elaborate instead of just saying "muh you're wrong he has gud range". He has decent range on some other moves that don't lead into anything or they're unsafe on shield. His moves being fast don't completely make up for them having small range. It's also harder for him to get in with aerials with small range that freeze on contact with shields. His range really isn't anything special except for on 2 of his smashes and his strong A which doesn't follow up into anything.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
You are being a baby. You're getting all salty and assuming we're just basing our knowledge off of for glory Ryu's and basically acting like we're all idiots. I'm not asking to be spoon fed. I'm wanting you to elaborate instead of just saying "muh you're wrong he has gud range". He has decent range on some other moves that don't lead into anything or they're unsafe on shield. His moves being fast don't completely make up for them having small range. It's also harder for him to get in with aerials with small range that freeze on contact with shields. His range really isn't anything special except for on 2 of his smashes and his strong A which doesn't follow up into anything.
Yeah I wouldn't listen to what this guy says. Very little, if anything, he has said has been useful in developing a meta for Ryu. He claims his weak jab,utilt, dtilt is all you need but the range is bad and any player worth their salt will make sure to stay away from Ryu when at those percents.

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Yeah I wouldn't listen to what this guy says. Very little, if anything, he has said has been useful in developing a meta for Ryu. He claims his weak jab,utilt, dtilt is all you need but the range is bad and any player worth their salt will make sure to stay away from Ryu when at those percents.
Exactly. He says we're basing our knowledge off of "FG Ryus" but acts as if Ryu just needs to jab/dtilt you to win despite the obvious range weakness.

Last edited:

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
No one here is even considering fighting game Ryu and if they are they need to quit.

This is smash ffs.

I don't even know what to make of Wario's argument.

Oh well, let's just wait 2 months to see where Ryu ends up. Fundamentally he appears to be very non-threatening character.

Last edited:

Bobert

NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Ryu is going to have a hard time with characters who can zone him out or characters who are just flat out better than him in the neutral like Sheik and Rosalina.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Ryu is going to have a hard time with characters who can zone him out or characters who are just flat out better than him in the neutral like Sheik and Rosalina.
Im not so sure about the zoning. if it's shieks needles yeah but other projectiles seem to be beaten out by tatsu, it also seems to have guarding effect when using the input. Testing for the latter is very weird but there are some attacks that should have beaten it but fail to do so. We'll need to test the nuances of Ryu's tatsu, among other skills.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Oh well, let's just wait 2 months to see where Ryu ends up. Fundamentally he appears to be very non-threatening character.
The only thing Ryu will really have trouble with is getting in, but unlike LM, Bowser and numerous other characters that have trouble with zoning opponents, Ryu at least has a projectile he can use to apply some counter pressure.

Plus, his punishes are phenomenal. Shoryu comes out instantaneously (when executed by a good player) and has relatively little recovery time compared to moves with a similar killing power. That means he needs only a momentary opening to confirm a kill. He can spike people off the stage while OVER the stage. He has a stupidly good mixup in FADC, and if he actually LANDS a FA when his opponent is ~75%, it's pretty much a guaranteed KO.

I'm not saying Ryu is going to shoot right to S tier or anything of the sort, but he has plenty of strengths, mostly ones that are going to take lots of labbing to master, and as such I expect to see some absolutely scary Ryus emerge in a few months.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
The only thing Ryu will really have trouble with is getting in, but unlike LM, Bowser and numerous other characters that have trouble with zoning opponents, Ryu at least has a projectile he can use to apply some counter pressure.

Plus, his punishes are phenomenal. Shoryu comes out instantaneously (when executed by a good player) and has relatively little recovery time compared to moves with a similar killing power. That means he needs only a momentary opening to confirm a kill. He can spike people off the stage while OVER the stage. He has a stupidly good mixup in FADC, and if he actually LANDS a FA when his opponent is ~75%, it's pretty much a guaranteed KO.

I'm not saying Ryu is going to shoot right to S tier or anything of the sort, but he has plenty of strengths, mostly ones that are going to take lots of labbing to master, and as such I expect to see some absolutely scary Ryus emerge in a few months.
Shoryuken comes out on frame 6-7, depends on which version. This is awesome for a kill move as it also has I-frames from anywhere from as early as frame 2 and lasts till as late as frame 9, at this point the attack is executed. However because of how predictable you fall after a shoryuken that + the, minimum, landing lag means anyone can punish with their best options. Any attack will be able to punish Ryu on whiff or shield. His spike is indeed really well, for the angle is launches at, at the sweet spot, and the gimping power of the sour spot. FA's might be good if they are used and you are knowingly going to get punished, such as an obvious get up attempt from the ledge.

One thing Ryus should practice is using shoryuken Oos on Perfect shield. Due to it's fast startup even landing the basic shoryuken will land some good damage. Most hits on perfect shield should be able to be punished by a shoryuken, unless it's a crossup aerial.

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
So it seems if Ryu is grabbing onto the ledge and, without landing on the ground, drops from the ledge and performs a shoryuken he will not grab the ledge and SD. Probably done to prevent abuse of the I-frames on the move.
Edit: I was wrong he seems to be snapping onto the ledge now. Don't know what was causing me not to before.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
One thing Ryus should practice is using shoryuken Oos on Perfect shield. Due to it's fast startup even landing the basic shoryuken will land some good damage. Most hits on perfect shield should be able to be punished by a shoryuken, unless it's a crossup aerial.
True, and also, his Fsmash is all around very good: it's quick, powerful, with good range, and also ends fairly fast, making it not a super risky option to throw out, especially when you're trying to read rolls.

I know it's one of Ryu's moves in SF, but it also reminds me a great deal of Falcon's fsmash from 64...

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
True, and also, his Fsmash is all around very good: it's quick, powerful, with good range, and also ends fairly fast, making it not a super risky option to throw out, especially when you're trying to read rolls.

I know it's one of Ryu's moves in SF, but it also reminds me a great deal of Falcon's fsmash from 64...
Yeah it's essentially like Falcons but comes out faster and has less amount of recovery. Distance launch is somewhat comparable as well. When sweetspotted it seems to be safe on most of the cast, just look out for rollers we have no option to cover our backs.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Middle-high at the most. Middle neutral at the lowest.

There's no way he'll be top. His side recovery is counterbait and he gets outranged by swordsmen.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Also further testing Nair(sourspotted) will combo into Shoryuken as high as 110%, mario being the reference. It will also combo into Tatsu, Fireball, Down Smash, Weak Utilt, Dair(it even is able to be sweet spotted!), lead to a grab, and Fsmash.

We will need to learn how to use Nair effectively as it seems to open alot of options for us. Also, although not a combo, if the opponent shields our nair we could technically DP and beat out any of their options. However we will need to read our opponent for this because if we do it too often/get read the punish will be even harsher than a simple aerial attack.

Edit: Sourspotted Fair can also lead to Shoryukens, Weak Utilts, Usmash, Uair, Dair (sourspotted and sweetspot), Fair, and StrongUtilts. However the way they move makes it harder to follow up than a Sourspotted Nair but still work checking into.

Last edited:
Top Bottom